Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:41 am

I'm a die hard Dragon Ball fan and I know GT has it's problems and can be annoying. I want to know if any of the die-hard fans really hate it because I sure can't. The moment I see Goku and his friends, I just get excited and pumped up to watch their adventures.

I don't acknowledge GT as canon and I find many things about it annoying, but I'd still rather it existed than us not getting another show after Z.

oXdanXo
Regular

Re: Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Post by oXdanXo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 am

I've watched it all the way through and don't hate it, I consider myself a huge fan considering I paid around £30 an orange brick to import and then around £35-£40 for the dragon boxes + I buy the figures, I only need part 5 7 and 8 of kai, I've started on the old singles and I've bought all the video games (Including collectors editions) apart from the USA budokai 3.

I do admit though I used to love SSJ4 but now I prefer SSJ3 so I'm probally leaning more towards Z now.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 am

Been trying to watch GT lately. Trying being the keyword there. The problem is, GT is just so boring that it's actually hard to pay attention to it. Nothing really feels dangerous because everything is just so inconsistent, from characters personalities to their fighting capabilities, to the jarring amount of plot holes. The pacing is god-awful too. It just sucks.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 am

oXdanXo wrote:I've watched it all the way through and don't hate it, I consider myself a huge fan considering I paid around £30 an orange brick to import and then around £35-£40 for the dragon boxes + I buy the figures, I only need part 5 7 and 8 of kai, I've started on the old singles and I've bought all the video games (Including collectors editions) apart from the USA budokai 3.

I do admit though I used to love SSJ4 but now I prefer SSJ3 so I'm probally leaning more towards Z now.
That's nice. I see a lot of GT hate and can't understand it at times. That's why I wanted to know if the ones who really love the show and have stuck with it for more than 5-6 years hate GT or not.

Rory wrote:Been trying to watch GT lately. Trying being the keyword there. The problem is, GT is just so boring that it's actually hard to pay attention to it. Nothing really feels dangerous because everything is just so inconsistent, from characters personalities to their fighting capabilities, to the jarring amount of plot holes. The pacing is god-awful too. It just sucks.
I agree. Watching GT till the Baby arc was a chore.

vrblitz

Post by vrblitz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 am

It doesn't suck it's just different. Most people seem to hate it Just because, and then think of reasons if they have to. GT is pretty fun on it's own.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 am

'Die-hard fan' is such a...vague term to throw around. Do I hate it? No. Do I think it could be better? Yes. Can I write paragraphs about why I like it? Yup.

I think there's a rather terrible perpetualization in the fandom that Dragon Ball GT is some unforgivable thing and must be ignored as if it doesn't exist, no matter the lengths of the justifications used. That's bothersome, I feel.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:22 am

Hahah, the Japanese version is extremely boring, I'll give it that. Therefore whenever I do watch GT I watch the Latin American dub. Somehow it makes it less boring.
So mondo lame.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 am

I like certain elements of GT. I like the fact that Goku was turned back into a little boy again(I thought that was funny)
I love the ending to GT. I've been a fan of Dragonball sense it came to the states but I don't hate GT, I just don't care all that much about it.
I hate the fact in GT that Piccolo wanted to stay with the earth when it exploded. Why would he want to die instead of trying to help Gohan and the others? It's been a while sense I watched GT though so there might be more to that.
but I absolutely cannot stand the US music for GT!(I like Funimation's score for Z though) it drives me up the wall *Dum Da Dum Dum* over and over :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:28 am

I agree with Jacob in that (at least I think this is what he's getting at) Person B hears that Person A disliked the show, and turns around and tells Person C that Person A hated the show with a dying passion and believes it should be eradicated from existence. Repeat exponentially. Result = DBGT's general perception.

Is there some truth to it? Yes. Do people take it to the extreme sometimes? Yes.

We're long overdue for our third installment (hey, like, Kanzenshuu happened), but if you want to hear long-time fans' thoughts on the show alongside someone watching it totally fresh for the first time, there's always our on-going "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness" on our podcast (Part 1 [Episodes 1-5] = Episode #0279 / Part 2 [Episodes 6-10] = Episode #0284). I think it's probably one of the best places to hear it all from the horse's mouth.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:45 am

As Jacob said, it could've been better. However, considering the inconsistent and low-quality fillers in Z which were made by the Toei staff members themselves, I think that was an inevitable outcome at the time. I don't deny its very reason for existing, but I do hate what they actually produced.

Mayweather

Post by Mayweather » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am

I'm a die hard fan. GT is a abomination. The animation quality looked like it came before Dragonball Z. It was a cheap slap in the face to all Dragonball fans, and served only the purpose of milking the Dragonball franchise, (and) nothing more. Dragonball Online totally disregards GT. I only liked one episode, which was the final (one). It was only 64 episodes for a reason.

Overall I did really enjoy (the) GT special, (and) the final episode of GT was by far the the best. The Baby arc was OK, but the rest of it was almost garbage. (It) felt so rushed.
Last edited by Mayweather on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonball Absolon

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 am

Mayweather wrote:GT is a abomination, the animation quality looked like it came before dragonball z
Wait, what? The animation quality is far, far better than that in the two former series. I understand if you are talking about the character designs though.

Mayweather

Post by Mayweather » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:01 pm

kei17 wrote:
Mayweather wrote:GT is a abomination, the animation quality looked like it came before dragonball z
Wait, what? The animation quality is far, far better than that in the two former series. I understand if you are talking about the character designs though.
Are you serious? I watched it on Cartoon Network. I remember clearly saying to my self, "Wtf is this? It looks like Dragonball animation". (I) don't think it was the animation, maybe the picture quality, colors maybe... I dunno... it looked old and 'til this day Dragonball Z looks like the 3rd series in terms of production quality to me.
Dragonball Absolon

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I agree with Jacob in that (at least I think this is what he's getting at) Person B hears that Person A disliked the show, and turns around and tells Person C that Person A hated the show with a dying passion and believes it should be eradicated from existence. Repeat exponentially. Result = DBGT's general perception.
Yeah, pretty much. I think the English-speaking Japanese animation and comic fandom has sort of become swamped in this mentality that "if it's not in the original comic, it should burn." Of course, more so with Dragon Ball, it's become the basis for a group think/mob mentality hatred of Dragon Ball GT.

It's a bit of a pit-fall mixing young people with an internet culture that's had some time to develop and form mainstays. Basically, it's the exact opposite of the online community taking it's mob mentality from Kanzenshuu. ;)
She/Her
bisexual milf

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Mayweather wrote:I'm a die hard fan. GT is a abomination. The animation quality looked like it came before Dragonball Z.

I have to disagree with you on that one. The animation was far superior than DB/Z. Sure character designs were a little off, but overall it was much better than it predecessors.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 pm

We're long overdue for our third installment (hey, like, Kanzenshuu happened), but if you want to hear long-time fans' thoughts on the show alongside someone watching it totally fresh for the first time, there's always our on-going "Dragon Ball GT Review of Awesomeness" on our podcast (Part 1 [Episodes 1-5] = Episode #0279 / Part 2 [Episodes 6-10] = Episode #0284). I think it's probably one of the best places to hear it all from the horse's mouth.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to more.
Yeah, pretty much. I think the English-speaking Japanese animation and comic fandom has sort of become swamped in this mentality that "if it's not in the original comic, it should burn." Of course, more so with Dragon Ball, it's become the basis for a group think/mob mentality hatred of Dragon Ball GT.
That's really weird because I love the manga and don't even consider GT canon, yet I enjoy it.
Are you serious? I watched it on Cartoon Network. I remember clearly saying to my self, "Wtf is this? It looks like Dragonball animation". (I) don't think it was the animation, maybe the picture quality, colors maybe... I dunno... it looked old and 'til this day Dragonball Z looks like the 3rd series in terms of production quality to me.
The colours did give it an odd feel, but also added a slightly darker tone to the series which was needed later on. The animation on the other hand was far above DB and Z.

If one is a true fan of the franchise, I can't understand how one can hate GT.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 pm

SylentEcho wrote:If one is a true fan of the franchise, I can't understand how one can hate GT.
Talking about one being a true fan or not only creates another fruitless argument.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Mayweather wrote:
kei17 wrote:
From the Animation point of view, GT is far superior compare to the other series.

As for the certain idea of hating GT to the point of destruction, it's getting to the point that it's getting ridiculous. One can understand why a person dislike a TV series in terms of storyline, character interaction and whatnot; but to out right hated the series is rather disturbing.

I prefer GT over the Z portion, as I considered Cell Arc and onward boring. In my own opinion; GT have a much better story, have full out completed Character development of how they were portrayed from the end of the manga; good pacing of the series and wonderful music [ I'm talking about the original dub ]. I might be one of the few in numbers, but I considered GT canon to the manga; personally canon btw.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:41 pm

On the subject of the animation, the team rotation was almost the exact same as Dragon Ball Z's toward the end. Hisada and Yamamuro were still doing gorgeous episodes (episode #19 is some of Yamamuro's best stuff), Ide Takeo re-joined, too. Uchiyama's were the only terrible episodes. Hakamada's episodes had a great jump in quality, too. Kanno Toshiyuki had taken over the Studio Live episodes (previously headed by Ebisawa Yukio), meaning those episodes improves a lot too.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Since I have yet to actually sit down and watch all of GT, I can't really say that I hate it, love it, or am somewhere in between. In many ways I definitely "hate" what GT did to certain characters, but I have yet to form a complete opinion on how I feel about GT as a whole. Need to buy the green brick and watch all of it, but I agree with the OP, that if it's Goku and friends, I can bare to watch solely for that reason.