Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Post by Rory » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:17 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:GT is good enough. People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either. They are both just some cartoons where shirtless dudes punch each other.
Yeah, and Evangelion is just a bunch of big robots fighting. See, I can do it too! :)

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Rory wrote:
SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:GT is good enough. People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either. They are both just some cartoons where shirtless dudes punch each other.
Yeah, and Evangelion is just a bunch of big robots fighting. See, I can do it too! :)
Come on, dude. That series has some serious story going on. DBZ... not so much. Some people make it sound like it's a piece of art or something. You have to get your mind off of the DB fanboy mode for a second.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:16 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:Come on, dude. That series has some serious story going on. DBZ... not so much. Some people make it sound like it's a piece of art or something. You have to get your mind off of the DB fanboy mode for a second.
The narrator was the one who told us about how Goten came to life.

Though, there's one particular serious moment I really like where Majin Boo's shocked seeing his dog shot by a filthy human. Also that other one in Kai where Kuririn's choice is decisive concerning No. 18.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm

I like some of the ideas GT threw out there, but it's horribly executed (horribly being generous). I mean it's really kind of hard to watch, and personally, I've never been able to make it through all 64 episodes. If it's worth anything though, I did like episode 64 :P .
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:51 pm

DBZ is not high art but it had better writing and made the character do something. While GT is a huge disappointment since they hype it up with a new transformation, the characters breaking out of Hell and Goku turning back into a child. They made all of the characters other then Goku useless.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:They made all of the characters other then Goku useless.
No. They gave Oob a power-up, so that he can help Goku in his fight with Baby. They also gave Vegeta SSJ4, so that he can merge with Goku. See? GT is not centered around Goku only.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Yes, but Ubb did nothing since after his battle with Bebi. While Vegeta got a spot light twice in GT but GT focus on Goku and Pan most of the time. All of the main villains in GT were killed by Goku when in DBZ, Goku only killed Yakon and Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Oob helped Goku when he stunned Oozaru Baby with his barrier from the inside. And, well, I was sarcastic. (I bolded Goku for a reason). :roll:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:10 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:Come on, dude. That series has some serious story going on. DBZ... not so much. Some people make it sound like it's a piece of art or something. You have to get your mind off of the DB fanboy mode for a second.
Dragon Ball has a pretty strong narrative, characters you care for, and as the series progresses the stakes get higher and higher. Rivalries are born, tyrants appear, thus, adventures ensue.
It's more whimsical and light hearted than other popular shōnen, such as say.... Akira, Death Note or FullMetal Alchemist, and it really doesn't get into huge amounts of character depth, but it's still a solid story (gets a little weak around the Boo stuff, but hey, that can happen when a show goes on for that long).
To say it's just a bunch of shirtless dudes punching one another makes me question your familiarity with the series, or the source material, honestly. Especially when telling someone to "turn off fanboy mode" on a message board dedicated to the series (not to mention one geared toward the original Japanese version).
I wasn't comparing Dragon Ball's story to that of Evangelion, I was simply saying you can't just boil a series down like that and expect to be taken seriously.

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

I've loved Dragon Ball all my life. I know GT isn't AS GOOD as the two previous series, but I think it's still very good. The original Dragon Ball had a real sense of fun and adventure, but DBZ was just huge fights, sometimes drawn out, after another. Doesn't mean I don't like it, but it can't be that much better than GT.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:
Rory wrote:
Come on, dude. That series has some serious story going on. DBZ... not so much. Some people make it sound like it's a piece of art or something. You have to get your mind off of the DB fanboy mode for a second.
Well, DBZ never was so popular in Europe like lot of other anime series. Remember talking with lot of people back in the 90's-00's and they always said that DBZ sucks with story and art like Pokémon and Digimon, and were watching things like Hellsing, Macross, Blue submarine, Ghost in the shell or later Gundam Seed.
DBZ was regarded as anime for kids (which it actually is) and I always felt un-cool :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Well, DBZ never was so popular in Europe like lot of other anime series. Remember talking with lot of people back in the 90's-00's and they always said that DBZ sucks with story and art like Pokémon and Digimon, and were watching things like Hellsing, Macross, Blue submarine, Ghost in the shell or later Gundam Seed.
DBZ was regarded as anime for kids (which it actually is) and I always felt un-cool :lol:
No, just no.

I've dealt with these kinds of people before. I mean what's next, you're going to say that they also think Elfen Lied is a deep, physcological thriller ride?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: I've dealt with these kinds of people before. I mean what's next, you're going to say that they also think Elfen Lied is a deep, physcological thriller ride?
I watched the first episode, turned it off. It tried too hard. The show felt like it was written by a fourteen year old struggling to convince his peers that he really was mature. "See, see, look at all the blood and boobs! It's so adult, isn't it?"

Fanboy aside, Dragonball at it's surface can be perceived as nothing but a shallow shonen anime; big muscle super heroes screaming and blowing each other up in order to saved the world...this is of course if you've never watched more then a few episode. But anyone who has seen the series knows the kind of charm and power this show carries. The character growth both told and implied; the relationship of the characters with one another; and the struggles and triumphs we see them go through. Yea you can say it's nothing more then a simple cartoon for kids but that's equating Superman to nothing more then child's entertainment as well. Anyone who has read Grant Morrison's "All Star Superman" or something like "Red Son" knows that would be a fallacy. If the show was as shallow as some people claim it wouldn't have been as big of a phenomenon both in Japan and the rest of the world. While I don't hate GT, it's inability to capture the same elements as Dragonball(Z) is the reason I don't like it as much.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I like the sotry line of GT, although rushed. I am a DBZ fanatic but the hting about GT that gets me is the animation/drawing. Half the time it doesn't even look like they were trying; especially with early on Kid Goku.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 am

Chibi Gohan wrote:I like some of the ideas GT threw out there, but it's horribly executed (horribly being generous). I mean it's really kind of hard to watch, and personally, I've never been able to make it through all 64 episodes. If it's worth anything though, I did like episode 64 :P .
I agree the some concepts were great, like the dragon balls being the final villain/villain group. Its recognizing that the gang has relied on the dragon balls so much. While the ending may have been technically more fitting, looking at the last chapter cover/title page or that panel where they show Goku and Bulma meeting for the first time had more of a impact on me honestly. It made me stop and reflect and realize just how far this series has grown.

That being said, I feel that some of the concepts in GT were recycled.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 pm

I didn't meant to say directly that Dragon Ball is not masterpiece, that is case of each of us own chart and taste of course.
For me, Dragon Ball is one of my favorite franchises, but not a masterpiece.

What I tried to say is that DBZ is a lot popular in USA, but in Europe had it's peak of popularity, but on the ''Pokémon'' level and most anime fans don't care about.
Lot of people also have this hipster atitude: ''It's too much commercial, and kids like it, it must be dumb as hell''.

Myself, I love Yoshiuki Tomino's Gundam series the most (0079, Zeta, ZZ, Char's CA, F91, Victory, Turn A + not from Tomino - Stardust Memory).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:03 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: I've dealt with these kinds of people before. I mean what's next, you're going to say that they also think Elfen Lied is a deep, physcological thriller ride?
I watched the first episode, turned it off. It tried too hard. The show felt like it was written by a fourteen year old struggling to convince his peers that he really was mature. "See, see, look at all the blood and boobs! It's so adult, isn't it?"
It hardly gets better, my friend. It's probably none too wise to watch more of it if you cringe over child porography.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:02 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Fanboy aside, Dragonball at it's surface can be perceived as nothing but a shallow shonen anime; big muscle super heroes screaming and blowing each other up in order to saved the world...this is of course if you've never watched more then a few episode. But anyone who has seen the series knows the kind of charm and power this show carries. The character growth both told and implied; the relationship of the characters with one another; and the struggles and triumphs we see them go through. Yea you can say it's nothing more then a simple cartoon for kids but that's equating Superman to nothing more then child's entertainment as well. Anyone who has read Grant Morrison's "All Star Superman" or something like "Red Son" knows that would be a fallacy. If the show was as shallow as some people claim it wouldn't have been as big of a phenomenon both in Japan and the rest of the world.
I think part of the problem is that most people's main exposure would've been the pre-Kai FUNimation English dub, which turned Gokuu into Superman, had piss-poor voice acting and cheesy dialogue, to the point that it was barely even DB anymore.

Although it is a fact that many people like it (or used to like it) because of the cool super-warriors powering up, screaming as if they were constipated (which is one of the easiest shots for critics), and massive explosions, and don't really give that much of a shit about why it's meant to be so sad when this "Yamcha" guy died. Just like a lot of kids like Superman because he's this super-strong role model with all these cool superpowers that fights for good against evil, and you can always count on him, and so on.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I've dealt with these kinds of people before. I mean what's next, you're going to say that they also think Elfen Lied is a deep, physcological thriller ride?
It hardly gets better, my friend. It's probably none too wise to watch more of it if you cringe over child porography.
Implying that any of us know what child pornography looks like.

Talking of which, I know someone who once said on another forum something like Elfen Lied gave more philosophical lessons than the Bible. I mean, maybe, I dunno (the Bible's pretty fucked up, but I won't get into that now), I'd never even heard of Elfen Lied until she mentioned it, but...why compare two completely different things like that?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I actually like the idea of GT. I like the continuation of the story and seeing how the characters have grown over time. I don't analyze all of the "plot holes" and inconsistencies of it, I just sit back and enjoy the continuation of the characters that I came to love.

I feel like people unjustifiably give GT a bad rap. I feel like it's a much better anime than most others that I've seen. I mean I'm not an anime guy, not a huge fan of it, but I feel like it's a lot better than, say, Inuyasha or Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon or other really popular animes. I just think that because it's not as good as Z or because it wasn't made by Akira Toriyama, people automatically "hate" it. I have a strong feeling that if it was written by Toriyama, people would not say what they do about it. And I definitely feel that if it was a stand-alone anime that had different character names/designs and it centered around...5 golden spheres as opposed to 7 Dragon Balls, that it could have been a huge hit, actually.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I think most people feel like they have to not only hate GT but like Z and love the original DB just so they can seem like a "true" Dragon Ball fan. That's also the reason why I think there are so many Broly haters and Freeza saga lovers out there. I started noticing the american GT hate some where around 07 or 08 so I guess some big shot from youtube or whatever made it known to people that you're not a "true" DBZ fan if you even like GT in the slightest and since then the word just spread.

Me Personally, I like GT, I find it watchable and I especially like playing with the characters and forms in the video games. What I don't like is that a lot of the fights were just Goku and co firing ki blast barrages at each other.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels