Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Super 13 is stronger than Perfect Cell.

I have evidence.
Prove it.
I think he was joking.
Wezenheim wrote:I actually liked the board game aspect of the Budokai 2 video game.
Eh. It was decent not as good as Budokai 1 or 3's story mode.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:48 pm

I think the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai is easily the worst tournament and probably one of the worst arc in the series, tied with the Cell arc for that spot.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 pm

22nd Tenkaichi Budokai did kinda suck. It was nowhere as good as the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:53 pm

22nd Tenkaichi highlights: Tien's character arc as a whole, Jackie Chun lecturing Tien as they fought, Goku fighting Krillin to Mezase Tenkaichi as the BGM, Tien breaking Yamcha's leg, Chaiotzu actually doing something, the final battle between Goku and Tien, and the ending, where Krillin is mysteriously murdered.

The 21st was overall more comical, but also memorable because of that.

They're a tie to me. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:02 pm

I don't think Tenshinhan is an interesting character, I thought the fights were all pretty boring and fairly rushed, the final fight was one of the worst main fights of an arc, since Goku had the upper-hand the entire time (and lost because of pure luck, extremely lame). Only highlight to me is Roshi's character arc being closed and the "ending" (which I consider a part of the Daimao arc, not the 22nd TB).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't think Tenshinhan is an interesting character, I thought the fights were all pretty boring and fairly rushed, the final fight was one of the worst main fights of an arc, since Goku had the upper-hand the entire time (and lost because of pure luck, extremely lame). Only highlight to me is Roshi's character arc being closed and the "ending" (which I consider a part of the Daimao arc, not the 22nd TB).
Honestly, I vaguely remember the fights of that arc, whereas the ones in the first and final tournaments are still pretty fresh in my mind (I haven't seen any in about the same time), so that says a lot. =P

I like Tien. But then, I'm a sucker for the stoic, strong guys. <3
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 pm

The 22nd tournament was excellent. Tien, the rivalry with the Crane hermit, Krillin Vs. Chiaotzu, Jackie Chun stepping down to Tien, Yamcha Vs. Tien was great, etc.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:59 pm

NintendoFan28 wrote:-The original Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z.
That's not a unpopular opinion since I seen many people that say DB is better than DBZ critically speaking. I think casual American fans will say DBZ is the best, but I notice DB is rank second best by causal fans here in the US. GT is still view the least favorite. I think Super will be put in the middle of DB and GT by most causal fans when it's finished airing.
She/Her

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 am

precita wrote:The 22nd tournament was excellent. Tenshinhan, the rivalry with the Crane hermit, Krillin Vs. Chiaotzu, Jackie Chun stepping down to Tenshinhan, Yamcha Vs. Tenshinhan was great, etc.
Is that an unpopular opinion? I don't think there is a lot of dislike for that arc.

Anyway, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I think Super Saiyan 3 looks dumb. Also, I dislike the whole idea of multi-tiered transformations. Super Saiyan 2 was fine when it was just he manifestation of Gohan's dormant power, but when it just became something any Saiyan can achieve with enough training, I sorta checked out.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:34 am

soppa saia people wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Super 13 is stronger than Perfect Cell.

I have evidence.
Prove it.
I think he was joking.
Wezenheim wrote:I actually liked the board game aspect of the Budokai 2 video game.
Eh. It was decent not as good as Budokai 1 or 3's story mode.
I agree, but from what I've seen a lot of people don't like it much at all, which is probably part of the reason why it wasn't included in the Budokai HD collection. I thought it was something a little different and while it could be annoying at times, I found it oddly charming.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:05 am

Namco Bandai said that most people didn't seem to enjoy Budokai 2 over B1 and B3 which is why it's not added. I remember I try to replay Budokai 2 and I end up turning it off after 15 minutes.
She/Her

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:12 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Namco Bandai said that most people didn't seem to enjoy Budokai 2 over B1 and B3 which is why it's not added. I remember I try to replay Budokai 2 and I end up turning it off after 15 minutes.
Yeah, as a matter of fact during my Budokai marathon it was the only one I didn't really bother unlocking everything. I just used the glitch to get everything after like 73%.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

AS_Saiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AS_Saiyan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Unpopular opinion? I guess I have some...
- I like DB's comic and characters more than the fights. As much as the fight are great the Toriyama jokes are what actually got me into the show.
- I think Chi Chi is a great character, probably because she acts just like my mom, just in a more exaggerated way of course. Because of that I can really understand her motives, and don't see her as the "worst character ever who ruin other characters"
Aaaaand, that's it for now :wink:
New User :) A Dragonball fan for over 10 years. My favorite character(s) are Kuririn and Goku.
And yeah, I need to find better signature.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Maybe this has been said already, but I actually enjoyed Dragonball more than I enjoyed Dragonball Z. I know that statement would make heads turn, but its just how I feel.

Its back when humans were relevant, and the fight scenes involved much more strategy and techniques. Don't get me wrong, DBZ had some incredible fights (my favorite being Piccolo vs 17), but many of the fights in DBZ involved one fighter totally outclassing the other or too much of an emphasis on powering up.

Characters such as Mercenary Tao, Master Mutaito, Tien, Android 8, Nam, and King Chappa intrigued me. Too bad their characters weren't developed at all as the series progressed, some of these characters had potential.
Last edited by omaro34 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:39 pm

I never got the "characters were more useful before" praise about Dragon Ball. Everyone besides Goku was useless in the RRA and Piccolo Daimao arcs, just like in most arcs in Z. And they were only "useful" in the other arcs (besides the first one) because they were tournament arcs where every character had a set amount of screen time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:I never got the "characters were more useful before" praise about Dragon Ball. Everyone besides Goku was useless in the RRA and Piccolo Daimao arcs, just like in most arcs in Z. And they were only "useful" in the other arcs (besides the first one) because they were tournament arcs where every character had a set amount of screen time.
Bulma helps Goku get the DB in the Pirate Cave and useful isn't relegated to helping defeat the bad guy. Goku wouldn't have been able to defeat Piccolo Daimao had it not been for Yajirobe and it's likely that he might have died had Tenshinhan not helped him, he might not have survived Piccolo's giant blast that destroyed King Castle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:I never got the "characters were more useful before" praise about Dragon Ball. Everyone besides Goku was useless in the RRA and Piccolo Daimao arcs, just like in most arcs in Z. And they were only "useful" in the other arcs (besides the first one) because they were tournament arcs where every character had a set amount of screen time.
Humans were the main bad guys in the RRA Arc, something that could never be said about DBZ. During the Piccolo Daimo Arc other characters besides Goku got screen time. Although they failed, Roshi, Tien and Chiautzo went up against Piccolo. The Evil Containment Wave when used properly could have easily sealed Piccolo once again, hence that technique in itself was useful. Yajirobe was one of the strongest fighters around as well in that period of time, he killed one of King Piccolo's minions; Cymbal..

Dragonball had a much more adventure setting in it, and the tournaments were always fun to watch.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:48 pm

ABED wrote:
Bulma helps Goku get the DB in the Pirate Cave and useful isn't relegated to helping defeat the bad guy. Goku wouldn't have been able to defeat Piccolo Daimao had it not been for Yajirobe and it's likely that he might have died had Tenshinhan not helped him, he might not have survived Piccolo's giant blast that destroyed King Castle.
Well, if that's what's defined as being useful, which I agree with by the way, then Z had its fair share of moments of humans doing stuff to help serve the plot.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
ABED wrote:
Well, if that's what's defined as being useful, which I agree with by the way, then Z had its fair share of moments of humans doing stuff to help serve the plot.
The early parts of Z yes. But as Z went on Toriyama focused almost solely on the Saiyans, something I didn't really like.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Muten Roshi was also useful in forwarding Tenshinhan's arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.