Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Son Mizu

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Son Mizu » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:45 am

GT is my favorite Dragon Ball series. In my opinion, all the reasons people give me for hating GT are unjustified. I mean it has great characters, designs, story, villains; there's nothing not to like! And don't even let me get started on the ending, it gives me chills everytime I watch it!

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:47 am

Son Mizu wrote:GT is my favorite Dragon Ball series. In my opinion, all the reasons people give me for hating GT are unjustified. I mean it has great characters, designs, story, villains; there's nothing not to like! And don't even let me get started on the ending, it gives me chills everytime I watch it!
I have to agree with you. While GT is not perfect in my opinion, It has a charm that always draws me.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:21 am

The Patrolman wrote:I actually didn't understand what Zygote meant?
A zygote is a fertilized egg. In other words, he's not arguing that Vegeta has regressed all the way back to the beginning of his existence.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 2/15/21!)
Current Episode: Long Live the Prince - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 14!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:47 pm

Personally, I don't think the Future Trunks/Black arc is a dark as many make it out to be. I feel like the atmosphere tries to be but I still think the arc as a whole fails to touch the sheer brutality and creepyness from a bunch of the other ones that we've gotten.

Edit: Let me just clarify that I'm in no means hating on the arc. I still like it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Personally, I don't think the Future Trunks/Black arc is a dark as many make it out to be. I feel like the atmosphere tries to be but I still think the arc as a whole fails to touch the sheer brutality and creepyness from a bunch of the other ones that we've gotten.

Edit: Let me just clarify that I'm in no means hating on the arc. I still like it.
It's darker than the rest of DBS, for sure, but it's also fairly comedy-centric. Honestly who doesn't find Zamasu hilarious? In fact, I'd argue that every arc from Piccolo to Cell is darker than this arc.

Also, I think the backgrounds fool people into thinking that the arc is more serious than it actually is.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Hate how fusion has made comeback.... But godammit if SSGSS Vegetto doesn't look so damn amazing!! Plus base is brown!! I'm really conflicting right now, I hate how exciting I am when I should be mad!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hate how fusion has made comeback.... But godammit if SSGSS Vegetto doesn't look so damn amazing!! Plus base is brown!! I'm really conflicting right now, I hate how exciting I am when I should be mad!
I agree, although I'm a little more upset than excited.
Retired.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm

I don't know if people have said this. I can't stand the Super opening anymore. I wish Toei would make a new one
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Don't know how unpopular this is, but by design (Super spoiler):
[spoiler]Goku Black > Zamasu > Merged Zamasu[/spoiler]
Don't get me wrong, though. I love every one of them.
Last edited by Anime Kitten on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:47 pm

I hate how it's the Kaioshin that gives Goku and Vegeta the earrings and not Gowasu -- it would've held much more meaning to it. Gowasu giving the warriors his earrings to put an end to his failed student.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:10 pm

I dont get why so many want CN to get Dragon Ball Super. CN is a far cry from the glory days of Toonami. They only care about their original shows first and foremost? And they HATE action shows! Look at what happened to Young Justice!
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Battle of Gods the movie was the first time Dragon Ball got legitimately great again since Namek.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont get why so many want CN to get Dragon Ball Super. CN is a far cry from the glory days of Toonami. They only care about their original shows first and foremost? And they HATE action shows! Look at what happened to Young Justice!
Isn't it coming back for a third season?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:35 pm

The Patrolman wrote:I don't know if people have said this. I can't stand the Super opening anymore. I wish Toei would make a new one
I like it, but it has worn on me over time. I tend to skip it more often than not. Then again, Dragon Ball never was a series to receive new openings frequently. It had 5 of them in about 500 episodes of its original run.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:38 pm

The introduction of the Androids did more damage to Freeza's character than any material that would follow it.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The introduction of the Androids did more damage to Freeza's character than any material that would follow it.
*The introduction of 16, 17 and 18.
While 19 and 20 are way too powerful even at their starting points, I think Toriyama somewhat helped the issue by making them energy based and Cell obviously works because he's a bizarre combination of everyone to justify his power/potential. It's the middle Androids who screw the pooch.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont get why so many want CN to get Dragon Ball Super. CN is a far cry from the glory days of Toonami. They only care about their original shows first and foremost? And they HATE action shows! Look at what happened to Young Justice!
Isn't it coming back for a third season?
On Netflix. That's exactly what I meant, if left to the mercy of CN we are toast. Young Justice was lucky but its also the epitome of CN's hatred towards action shows.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Location: an apartment complex huh...i find it quite simple, really.

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:I don't know if people have said this. I can't stand the Super opening anymore. I wish Toei would make a new one
I like it, but it has worn on me over time. I tend to skip it more often than not. Then again, Dragon Ball never was a series to receive new openings frequently. It had 5 openings in about 500 episodes of its original run.
Do you mean new intro's or theme's ?
Speaking of theme's, sans Super's opening, Cha-la is my least favorite theme.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Do you mean new intro's or theme's ?
Intros, there were only 4 opening songs.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The introduction of the Androids did more damage to Freeza's character than any material that would follow it.
*The introduction of 16, 17 and 18.
While 19 and 20 are way too powerful even at their starting points, I think Toriyama somewhat helped the issue by making them energy based and Cell obviously works because he's a bizarre combination of everyone to justify his power/potential. It's the middle Androids who screw the pooch.
Yeah, I should have been more specific about which Androids I was referring to. 16, 17, 18 and 19 are who I'm talking about. But 17 and 18 are the worst offenders due to the fact they are mostly human. Seriously, that absolutely murders any kind of mystique Freeza's character had. Freeza was by no means this unbelievable force of nature that should be reckoned with in the universe. He was ultimately just a big fish in a small pond. Because ultimately, an old, very intelligent, mad scientist in a cave with a box of scraps, with no idea of how strong Freeza is, can somehow created cyborgs that are far stronger than Freeza ever wished he could be.

I fucking hate that so much.

It makes Freeza look like the luckiest character ever. Because if Dr Gero had decided to carry out his plan sooner and on a scale as large as Freeza, Freeza and his army would have been no match for him. People can complain about the circumstance of Freeza's official return in Resurrection F and how they feel the character wasn't explored in all the depth possible, and I will agree on several of those points, despite how much I love the film, but Resurrection F did one thing right in my eyes... it restored the notion that Freeza is a freak of nature that really shouldn't be swept aside so nonchalantly. If only Freeza acted a bit more smarter in that movie, he would have won.