Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WobbuSleuth

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WobbuSleuth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:while i like his personality , Cell (perfect form) is the worst main villain in the series
I even say, Cell Saga is not that great overall.
Sorry for my bad english. )=

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 am

kinisking wrote:
WobbuSleuth wrote:Fights in Dragon Ball Z became a rather lackluster after (and maybe during) Freeza saga. Mainly because almost every non_Saiyan character become useless, and instead of martial arts we have a ki-blast battles. Battles during Cell Saga are particularly jarring, because most of them painfully one-sided. In Cell and Buu sagas I don't remember any clever strategies, any new creative techniques... At they best, they're well animated. At they worst, they're really boring.

It doesn't mean, that Buu and Cell sagas don't have any good battles. We have some exceptions, #16 vs Cell, for example. But, it's a shame, that majority of battles are dull.
Android 17 vs Piccolo, Cell vs Goku, Gotenks vs Boo are also examples of some good fights by those standards. I personally think most of fights are good even without strategy or creative techniques as long as it has exciting choreography and angles.
I disagree with #17 vs Piccolo, but yes, Goku vs Cell and Gotenks vs Boo are fun battles.
In my eyes choreography in Buu and Cell sagas not that great too. Because of, again, ki-blasts overload.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 am

WobbuSleuth wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:while i like his personality , Cell (perfect form) is the worst main villain in the series
i agree , in fact Cell saga is my least favourite saga in DBZ
My English is poor .

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:12 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
WobbuSleuth wrote:
I will third this. Cell Saga blows.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 am

I preferred Future Zamasu to Black as a character.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:03 am

Akyon wrote:I preferred Future Zamasu to Black as a character.
They're almost exactly the same. What specifically do you prefer? The only notable difference is that Present Zamasu was heavily influenced by Goku, causing him to seek ultimate power, where as Future Zamasu desired immortality. Since he uses a Saiyan body to acquire power, he also inherited some Saiyan instincts, which slightly change his behavior. Either way, the differences between the two are mostly superficial, how is one a better character than the other.

I consider them both equals. For their plan to work, they both had to cooperate. If Future Zamasu had been on his own, he would have easily been defeated. If Goku Black were on his own, Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta would have inevitably killed him. Both Zamasu's are almost totally equal in my eyes.
Retired.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:12 am

I think Golden Frieza looks terrible.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:46 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Akyon wrote:I preferred Future Zamasu to Black as a character.
They're almost exactly the same. What specifically do you prefer? The only notable difference is that Present Zamasu was heavily influenced by Goku, causing him to seek ultimate power, where as Future Zamasu desired immortality. Since he uses a Saiyan body to acquire power, he also inherited some Saiyan instincts, which slightly change his behavior. Either way, the differences between the two are mostly superficial, how is one a better character than the other.

I consider them both equals. For their plan to work, they both had to cooperate. If Future Zamasu had been on his own, he would have easily been defeated. If Goku Black were on his own, Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta would have inevitably killed him. Both Zamasu's are almost totally equal in my eyes.
Whilst I do agree both Zamasu's needed one another to succeed, I do disagree with the premise of them being exactly the same.

A lot of people I've seen have said Black is the superior Zamasu to immortal Zamasu due to the saiyan genetics affecting him; making him more sinister and proud and battle happy.
To me that wasn't the point of Zamasu as a character originally and not the part of Zamasu I found remotely interesting. He was basically exactly what he appeared as; an evil Goku whose primary goal really was to become stronger and stronger with wiping out the mortals as a secondary. Honestly I found that goal boring compared to the original plan and we saw it before in Perfect Cell. Zamasu's a more complex villain than that, and it feels like Goku's body simplified him at least IMO.

Immortal Zamasu seemed to stay on point; he saw himself as a god who was there to wipe out mortals who were destroying the universe. He went on long god like rants, he revelled in his immortality, he was more emotional than Black, he looked down on mortals which made when Trunks momentarily trapped him using the mafuba all the more delicious.
He was a character who started off deeply conflicted and could have very easily ended up as a good person had the events of the mortals he met worked out differently. When Black showed up and murdered his timeline's Gowasu, he still had a pang of conflict regarding his teacher, before Black revealed he was also Zamasu. Black comparatively seemed to make up his mind fast, and become obsessed with his secondary goal of becoming the most powerful being in the universe.

At the end of the day immortal Zamasu was who ended up having the last laugh when his immortality ended up allowing his soul to destroy Trunks' entire universe. For that reason, I see him as the superior version.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:53 pm

There should be more platfotmers/action-adventures/jrpgs games than these endless fightings. :\
Potentinal literally limitless!
Also, I wish that more games had an original plot than ANOTHER retelling of DB or DBZ. (Or not trivial retelling, like in "Attack of Saiyans".)

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:10 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
WobbuSleuth wrote: I even say, Cell Saga is not that great overall.
I'll fourth this. Gohan vs Cell is so overrated
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:15 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote: i agree , in fact Cell saga is my least favourite saga in DBZ
I'll fourth this. Gohan vs Cell is so overrated
Fifthed, and Gero is baedroid. I loved how the original androids resembled dolls, much more creative than 16, 17, and 18. I want my Dr. Gero Arc!
Retired.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Unpopular Sean Schemmel Opinons:

- He should've voiced Tullece.
- His King Kai is horrible. To put it blandly, this is supposed to be our narrator, or at least sound like him. I don't think anyone will disagree this voice is simply unfitting for the task. His performance is great, but the voice is not appropriate.
-Kelamis WAS the best English Goku until Schemmel Post the Boo Arc.

Unpopular Movie Opinons:

-Movie 11 isn't that bad.
-Movie 12 and 13 are overrated.
- The only good movies are 1,2,9 and BOG and 3 for DB.
- The 2 Z TV Specials are much better than the movies.

Unpopular Z opinions.
- The English Dub has created a divide in the fandom that will never be mended.
- The Android Arc isn't that great. It has some of the highest highs, but the rest is mediocre.
- People who prefer the English Dub and music have nostalgia googles.
- The Z portion is not as good as the original DB.
- Objectively, DBZ is a pretty mediocre anime. It's influence can't be overstated and I LOVE IT. But structurally it's pretty meh.
-The party episode is a better ending for Z than Toriyamas.
- The Z ending isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Unpopular Franchise opinions
- We never should've gotten a new series. Movies would've been fine.
- Yo! Son Goku could've been the last DB content we ever could've gotten and it would've been a satisfying ending.
- We are getting too much content. Eventually, this series is going to be terrible.
- If anything we should get a reboot. Go back to the beginning and create a series that is faithful to the manga.
- Toei has been really bad at managing this franchise.
Last edited by MarCas92 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Unpopular Sean Schemmel Opinons:

- He should've voiced Tullece.
- His King Kai is horrible. To put it blandly, this is supposed to be our narrator, or at least sound like him. I don't think anyone will disagree this voice is simply unfitting for the task. His performance is great, but the voice is not appropriate.
-Kelamis WAS the best English Goku until Schemmel Post the Boo Arc.

Unpopular Movie Opinons:

-Movie 11 isn't that bad.
-Movie 12 and 13 are overrated.
- The only good movies are 1,2,9 and BOG and 3 for DB.
- The 2 Z TV Specials are much better than the movies.

Unpopular Z opinions.
- The English Dub has created a divide in the fandub that will never be mended.
- The Android Arc isn't that great. It has some of the highest highs, but the rest is mediocre.
- People who prefer the English Dub and music have nostalgia googles.
- The Z portion is not as good as the original DB.
- Objectively, DBZ is a pretty mediocre anime. It's influence can't be overstated and I LOVE IT. But structurally it's pretty meh.
-The party episode is a better ending for Z than Toriyamas.
- The Z ending isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Unpopular Franchise opinions
- We never should've gotten a new series. Movies would've been fine.
- Yo! Son Goku could've been the last DB content we ever could've gotten and it would've been a satisfying ending.
- We are getting too much content. Eventually, this series is going to be terrible.
- If anything we should get a reboot. Go back to the beginning and create a series that is faithful to the manga.
- Toei has been really bad at managing this franchise.
Most of these are pretty common. I agree with those that I bolded above.
Retired.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 pm

I liked DBE, please don't lynch me.
Hi

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:47 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:I liked DBE, please don't lynch me.
You are foe'd. Can you explain what you liked about it?
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:01 pm

MarCas92 wrote:- Objectively, DBZ is a pretty mediocre anime. It's influence can't be overstated and I LOVE IT. But structurally it's pretty meh.
While I'm not the biggest fan of the Z portion of the series (although I think Kai makes up for most of its issues structurally) there is no such thing as objectively bad or mediocre in art.
MarCas92 wrote:- We never should've gotten a new series. Movies would've been fine.
I honestly think Super was inevitable given the success of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Ooooo... you done said the forbidden words.

EVERYONE LET'S DIM THIS NIGGA'S LIGHTS NOW!!!

:P

jk it's cool if you like it if it's in an ironic way otherwise I'd have to question your validity
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:16 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Ooooo... you done said the forbidden words.

EVERYONE LET'S DIM THIS NIGGA'S LIGHTS NOW!!!

:P

jk it's cool if you like it if it's in an ironic way otherwise I'd have to question your validity
I thought it was a pretty hilarious movie, i don't view it as a dragon ball movie so i didn't take it too seriously like some of its critics.
Hi

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm

This is the best Kikuchi track and, honestly, probably my favorite "dark" track in all of DB history. The dread, the suspense, it's all beautiful. Especially from 3:41 to the end. When it comes to more and darker tracks, this is not only Kikuchi's magnum opus but Dragon Ball's in general. Truly underrated imo.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Bansho64 wrote:This is the best Kikuchi track and, honestly, probably my favorite "dark" track in all of DB history. The dread, the suspense, it's all beautiful. Especially from 3:41 to the end. When it comes to more and darker tracks, this is not only Kikuchi's magnum opus but Dragon Ball's in general. Truly underrated imo.
It's a classic. I can think of one that I like more, but the Kikuchi tracks don't have memorable names, so I'll save finding it for another time.
Retired.