Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm

HeroR wrote:
ABED wrote:And regardless, he's the hero of the story. Do fans complain that Buffy saves the day in almost every episode or Batman saves the day in his own comic?
Dragon Ball is one of he few franchises that I have seen when a part of the fanbase resents the main character for existing. How the secondary characters were treated in Z didn't help.
Then people are clearly morons since Goku doesn't beat any main bad guy by himself after Piccolo Jr. Vegeta would've killed him if he didn't get back up, Ginyu stole his body, he wouldn't have lived long enough to become SS without back up, he flat out can't beat anyone in the Cell arc at any point and he once again needs more back up to kill Kid Boo.

GT and DB are where Goku scores the most big victories and even in GT, Baby, Super 17 and Omega would've killed him if he didn't have help.
Last edited by ekrolo2 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 pm

HeroR wrote:
ABED wrote:And regardless, he's the hero of the story. Do fans complain that Buffy saves the day in almost every episode or Batman saves the day in his own comic?
Dragon Ball is one of he few franchises that I have seen when a part of the fanbase resents the main character for existing. How the secondary characters were treated in Z didn't help.
Goku is iconic. It's inevitable for him to be a target for hipsters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Super is the Sonic CD of Dragon Ball

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:52 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I honestly don't mind Nozawa as Bardock since she does great in the part, but if I had to choose a male actor it would have been Akira Kamiya.
Masako Nozawa wasn't the ideal choice but again I don't really mind her Bardock.
Sure, but what matters is that she did well in the role.
But she is crisized a lot for not only her Bardock but also her Adult Gokū and Gohan.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Masako Nozawa wasn't the ideal choice but again I don't really mind her Bardock.
Sure, but what matters is that she did well in the role.
But she is crisized a lot for not only her Bardock but also her Adult Gokū and Gohan.
I think people fail to realize that Nozawa doesn't play Gohan and Bardock the same way she plays Goku.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sure, but what matters is that she did well in the role.
I think people fail to realize that Nozawa doesn't play Gohan and Bardock the same way she plays Goku.
Gohan has a formal tone and also the voice remains same, for Bardock the tone is much more aggressive like vegeta and voice doesn't have any goofy feels but for Gokū not only her Gokū speaks in a hick tone but even the voice pitch varies according to Gokū's mood like going high pitched and low pitched.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:28 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: But she is crisized a lot for not only her Bardock but also her Adult Gokū and Gohan.
Gohan has a formal tone and also the voice remains same, for Bardock the tone is much more aggressive like vegeta and voice doesn't have any goofy feels but for Gokū not only her Gokū speaks in a hick tone but even the voice pitch varies according to Gokū's mood like going high pitched and low pitched.
Nuances like that make me appreciate Nozawa even more.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I think people fail to realize that Nozawa doesn't play Gohan and Bardock the same way she plays Goku.
She is still over hated in West specially by Dub fanbase but atleast that hate has decreased to a degree with Super.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Gohan has a formal tone and also the voice remains same, for Bardock the tone is much more aggressive like vegeta and voice doesn't have any goofy feels but for Gokū not only her Gokū speaks in a hick tone but even the voice pitch varies according to Gokū's mood like going high pitched and low pitched.
She is still over hated in West specially by Dub fanbase but atleast that hate has decreased to a degree with Super.
Yes, I know that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Gohan has a formal tone and also the voice remains same, for Bardock the tone is much more aggressive like vegeta and voice doesn't have any goofy feels but for Gokū not only her Gokū speaks in a hick tone but even the voice pitch varies according to Gokū's mood like going high pitched and low pitched.
Yes we know. Do you have to mention that every chance you get?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:47 pm

While I do agree that he does go overboard mentioning it...condemning people who hate Nozawa personally because of her performance without even knowing her as a person is despicable.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sure, but what matters is that she did well in the role.
Most people who have watched a significant amount of the JPN version can tell the difference in the way she play's each character. Goku has the hickish naive tone, Gohan is reserved and formal sounding, and Goten is playful and energetic. Black and Turles are more dark and sadistic sounding.

I realize she does a great job acting for Bardock, I just believe it's the weakest and least fitting of her portrayals. I agree with Ripper and think Akira Kamiya(Kenshiro) would have been more in line with Bardocks personality.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 pm

ABED wrote:Gog, Goku fails often. In fact he fails more often than you think. He lost in two out of the three tournaments he fought in.
Yeah. I messed up. :oops:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:57 am

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:Gog, Goku fails often. In fact he fails more often than you think. He lost in two out of the three tournaments he fought in.
No problem. Been there.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:13 am

Gog wrote:
I can't blame you. For reasons, fans tend to bloat Goku's win record, even fans who should know better.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:21 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Nuances like that make me appreciate Nozawa even more.
Yup.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:35 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: She is still over hated in West specially by Dub fanbase but atleast that hate has decreased to a degree with Super.
Yup.
You don't need to mention it all the time, you know.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yup.
I was referring to one of the pros of Super.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:32 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yup.
Oh, okay.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: You don't need to mention it all the time, you know.
Oh, okay.
But I really hate the crunchyroll subs on them because of which the point of Subtitles is completely lost.