Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Ultra Instinct is the only transformation I've genuinely been excited about since the series has been revived.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Ultra Instinct is the only transformation I've genuinely been excited about since the series has been revived.
I don't think that's unpopular. Some of my friends despises Super or is not interested in the series, but yet admited they liked the concept.
"More SSJ transformations is dumb", "I like it that is seems more like a technique than an actual transformation", "Moving without thinking is cool" and etc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 am

Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Ultra Instinct is the only transformation I've genuinely been excited about since the series has been revived.
I don't think that's unpopular. Some of my friends despises Super or is not interested in the series, but yet admited they liked the concept.
"More SSJ transformations is dumb", "I like it that is seems more like a technique than an actual transformation", "Moving without thinking is cool" and etc.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, I like that it's more of a technique. Also It looks cooler than a SSJ recolor.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 am

Noah wrote:
Most of the anime fans around me that I know despise not only Super but the whole Dragon Ball Franchise and calling it mindless action with no plot and at times the most overrated Franchise to exist specially among Indian Anime fans, its such a shame.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Most of the anime fans around me that I know despise not only Super but the whole Dragon Ball Franchise and calling it mindless action with no plot and at times the most overrated Franchise to exist specially among Indian Anime fans, its such a shame.
Stuff like that is pretty disheartening to hear, while the latter half of Z maybe guilty of that I feel if these people actually watched or read DB from the start not Z but OG that they'll realise how wrong they are about the franchise, while fighting has a strong presence in the series the series always has and will be primarily about the characters and that's something even fellow fans have forgotten along the way, fighting is great and all but
I have equal joy in watching Goku and Piccolo compete in a cabbage picking contest for example, DBS has much needed moments of levity that were missing in Z, why else did people still to this day cling onto the driving episode in Z? I wish Toriyama and Toei have Z much more moments like that like they have to DBS.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:25 am

Don't know if this is unpopular or not but I prefer the ending of the Future Trunks arc in the anime than the manga from the fight with Fused Zamasu to Vegetto to Zeno erasing the future world. I re-read the ending chapters again and again to make sure that is how I feel and it is.

There was just something off putting with Black not dying and OMG HES FUZED ZAMASU, YOU'RE FUSED ZAMASU EVERYONE IS FUSED ZAMASU and now there is over nine thousand Fused Zamasu's via regeneration. At least with in the anime Zamasu's physical body was gone and his immortal essence allowed him to become the universe that manipulated time and space for him to leak into the past / present. I also liked the theme that the final hope slash played among the future inhabitants and the impact it had on F. Trunks & Mai when they saw the world they fought so hard to save obliterated. There was just that OOMPH the anime had that the manga didn't due to Zamasu and Black killing everyone beforehand.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:34 am

Ooh, let's see what info I can let people roast me for:

1.) Aside from the TV special and his initial appearance against Freeza, I've never actually been a big fan of Future Trunks.
2.) I actually dislike Vegeta post-Android arc. He nearly doomed Earth twice because of his damned pride.
3.) I prefer watching our main characters losing to actually winning; that's probably partly why I love the Saiyan arc so much.
4.) I still refuse to believe Androids 19 and 20 (before 19 absorbs Goku's energy, at least) were stronger than Freeza. I just refuse to accept that Piccolo got that much stronger in 3 years.
5.) I think 17 vs. Piccolo is one of the best fights in the series while Goku vs. Burter and Jeice is one of the worst.
6.) I like power scaling. I think it adds value to the show.
7.) I think episodes 104 and 107 of Super were better than the special.

That's all I can think of for now.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 am

MaskedRider wrote:Don't know if this is unpopular or not but I prefer the ending of the Future Trunks arc in the anime than the manga from the fight with Fused Zamasu to Vegetto to Zeno erasing the future world. I re-read the ending chapters again and again to make sure that is how I feel and it is.

There was just something off putting with Black not dying and OMG HES FUZED ZAMASU, YOU'RE FUSED ZAMASU EVERYONE IS FUSED ZAMASU and now there is over nine thousand Fused Zamasu's via regeneration. At least with in the anime Zamasu's physical body was gone and his immortal essence allowed him to become the universe that manipulated time and space for him to leak into the past / present. I also liked the theme that the final hope slash played among the future inhabitants and the impact it had on F. Trunks & Mai when they saw the world they fought so hard to save obliterated. There was just that OOMPH the anime had that the manga didn't due to Zamasu and Black killing everyone beforehand.
Not an unpopular opinion,everyone hated the ending because it was too happy and shit,even a fan of the manga like me did not enjoyed the final chapter aside from cute interaction.In general this saga in the manga is unpopular,people vastly prefer the anime over it
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:50 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:Ooh, let's see what info I can let people roast me for:

1.) Aside from the TV special and his initial appearance against Freeza, I've never actually been a big fan of Future Trunks.
2.) I actually dislike Vegeta post-Android arc. He nearly doomed Earth twice because of his damned pride.
3.) I prefer watching our main characters losing to actually winning; that's probably partly why I love the Saiyan arc so much.
4.) I still refuse to believe Androids 19 and 20 (before 19 absorbs Goku's energy, at least) were stronger than Freeza. I just refuse to accept that Piccolo got that much stronger in 3 years.
5.) I think 17 vs. Piccolo is one of the best fights in the series while Goku vs. Burter and Jeice is one of the worst.
6.) I like power scaling. I think it adds value to the show.
7.) I think episodes 104 and 107 of Super were better than the special.

That's all I can think of for now.
2) You aren't supposed to like his actions, but does that prevent him from being interesting just because he's arrogant?
3) I get that characters should struggle, but what's better about the heroes losing?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Stuff like that is pretty disheartening to hear, while the latter half of Z maybe guilty of that I feel if these people actually watched or read DB from the start not Z but OG that they'll realise how wrong they are about the franchise, while fighting has a strong presence in the series the series always has and will be primarily about the characters and that's something even fellow fans have forgotten along the way, fighting is great and all but
I have equal joy in watching Goku and Piccolo compete in a cabbage picking contest for example, DBS has much needed moments of levity that were missing in Z, why else did people still to this day cling onto the driving episode in Z? I wish Toriyama and Toei have Z much more moments like that like they have to DBS.
Agreed, I would have no problem with Super even if they have more comedic slice of life Episodes But that won't happen.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:18 pm

They cling to the driving episode because they think it's funny. However, I don't think it is. I have zero desire to see Piccolo farming. Slice of life are interesting insofar as they show in some way what the heroes are fighting to protect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 am

ABED wrote:2) You aren't supposed to like his actions, but does that prevent him from being interesting just because he's arrogant?
3) I get that characters should struggle, but what's better about the heroes losing?
2.) I never said he wasn't interesting, just that I don't like him. And it is "unpopular DB opinions," so I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
3.) It's a subversion of expectations. Generally when you read a story or watch a movie/show, you expect things to follow a certain format. It's why Romantic Comedies continue to be so frequently watched despite being as formulaic as it gets. In an action show, you expect a good guy to ultimately beat the bad guy. So when our hero is suddenly pummeled into the ground and left half-dead in the bottom of a lake, it comes as a surprise and makes you wonder how they're going to get out of or move on from this new situation. It creates tension and intrigue, in my opinion.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 am

2. That's not an unpopular opinion. No one likes him for being so arrogant in that arc.
3. That's not really subversion of expectations. It's generally what happens in a story. The good guys have a goal and encounter obstacles and complications to that goal.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 am

Well here is an unpopular opinion I like Cell Saga Vegeta and don't understand when people say he was better in the Saiyan or Freeza saga. Now if you like him as a good villain in those sagas than that I guess can understand (although personally I've never been much of a villain fan). I only have come to like Saiyan/Freeza Vegeta because of what he would later become. But in Saiyan and Freeza he was evil and killed innocent people. In Cell sure he still had evil in his heart but I'll take arrogant and extremely stupid actions over pure evil actions.

Now when I say I like Cell saga Vegeta that doesn't mean I like the things he did or agreed with his choices but I think the characterization of an anti-hero was on target and the fact that he didn't turn completely good right away, didn't immediately love his family, made some very very bad choices made him a much more compelling character to me and made it more rewarding when he did finally start to show signs of having a heart after all.

Another unpopular opinion I don't think there is anything cool about Majin Vegeta (well okay the design is cool but that is about it) I think those scenes aren't cool but very sad. The scene when he was trying to deny the love of his family is one of the hardest scenes for me to watch & it's only because I know what comes after that I can get through them.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Kinokima wrote:
The only thing I don't like about Cell Saga Vegeta is after the 19 fight his supposed immense intelligence as a fighter was never really a factor again...ever. Other than that, yeah he's much more interesting than in Namek where he wanted to become immortal like some generic sounding villain

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Here's an unpopular opinion (I have some others, but this one is the biggest for sure):

SSJ transformations are not only overrated, but also not as iconic as other elements of Dragon Ball (and many of them are poorly done). Even Fusions are more iconic (and original) than SSJ forms.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm

hunduel wrote:Here's an unpopular opinion (I have some others, but this one is the biggest for sure):

SSJ transformations are not only overrated, but also not as iconic as other elements of Dragon Ball (and many of them are poorly done). Even Fusions are more iconic (and original) than SSJ forms.
Perhaps the fusions are more original, but Super Saiyan is one of the most iconic things about the show. It is certainly moreso than a concept that doesn't show up until the final arc. Piccolo's fusion doesn't count because Piccolo's fusions don't result in a separate character.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am

I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It was very enjoyable for me until the Cell reveal. It feels like their humor has changed since then, and Cell's dialogue in particular just sort of screams "Look I said a thing that was supposed to be funny. Laugh now!"

It used to be a very high quality parody but it's almost like it's started to take itself to seriously which it isn't good enough to do. Also I can't stand people saying that TFS is the best dub of DBZ when it's not even a dub

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Forte224 wrote:I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It was very enjoyable for me until the Cell reveal. It feels like their humor has changed since then, and Cell's dialogue in particular just sort of screams "Look I said a thing that was supposed to be funny. Laugh now!"

It used to be a very high quality parody but it's almost like it's started to take itself to seriously which it isn't good enough to do. Also I can't stand people saying that TFS is the best dub of DBZ when it's not even a dub
This, kinda. I still enjoy it as noise when I have episodes play in the background when I'm doing something but having re-watch pre-Freeza TFS such as when King Kai realizes hes alone again after Goku leaves, I was actually having a giggle where as when I got to...Android 16 singing that song when he met Goku I was just ":roll:"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Forte224 wrote:I'm not a fan of TFS anymore. It was very enjoyable for me until the Cell reveal. It feels like their humor has changed since then, and Cell's dialogue in particular just sort of screams "Look I said a thing that was supposed to be funny. Laugh now!"

Honestly yeah. My thoughts exactly. It's feeling less and less like an abridged series for me, and borderline unofficial fandub + a few jokes thrown in. I can still watch the older stuff (Freeza Saga) and laugh, but the quality takes a nose dive after Cell in my opinion. it was most notable for me in the Semi Perfect Cell material.