Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:In Japan? YES! Internationally? NO! In particular One Piece flopped hard in Latin America.

And no shonen has surpassed DB Internationally. NONE.
One Piece may did poorly in the US with TV ratings, but it does have a strong fanbase in the US. You can still find One Piece stuff at places like Hot Topic and Books a Million.
I know. But its still outdone by Dragon Ball. I was talking about Latin America in particular when talking about places where it outright flopped.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Yes, the way it looks is simply unpleasant..
I don't know I think it's better than the recolors we got recently.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Noah wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Yes, the way it looks is simply unpleasant..
I don't know I think it's better than the recolors we got recently.
The aura is just bad, I can't pin point the problem but it's highly repulsive..
I like UI as a concept but that's about it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote: i have heard One Piece fans say exact opposite thing and how One Piece had better plot, storyline, characters, Villains, themes, setting and world building.

it does .

and all the side characters gets their moments to shine

overall one piece is the better anime for me however i prefer dragon ball's art-style and humour more
Pretty much the same for me. I don't know how a Dragon Ball fan could complain about One Piece being to long, the story still knows where it wants to go and that's what matters.

For me Dragon Ball has better humor, art style and fights, while One Piece has better side characters/villains, superior world building. I love both original musical scores so they are even for me.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm

I thought the song selected for the first half of UI Goku vs Jiren was terrible.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:39 am

People saying "At this point" over and over and over and then in your dreams, more "At this point'..
It comes to the point that all you can think about is golly, sure would be nice if a random fuck came up to me at this point, that would be swell..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't hate Dolltaki and like that he makes people uncomfortable. How often do you see a character that makes you feel something (not counting boredom)?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:43 pm

ABED wrote:I don't hate Dolltaki and like that he makes people uncomfortable. How often do you see a character that makes you feel something (not counting boredom)?
I also don't hate him, but his scene trying to change doll Pan clothes was creepy :?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't hate Dolltaki and like that he makes people uncomfortable. How often do you see a character that makes you feel something (not counting boredom)?
I also don't hate him, but his scene trying to change doll Pan clothes was creepy :?
That's the point. It's a good trait in a villain. It would be bad if it was a good guy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Not sure if anyone else shares the same opinion as me on this, but I personally preferred the art in the Saiyan saga to the art later down the line (i.e the Buu saga). I just tended to like that it looked more organic and was less angular, but this is just my personal opinion, of course. I liked when the art had a mixture of organic lines, but more refined anatomy than DB.

That said, I do really like the style used in Super.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 am

Zamasu is not only a better villain then Cell and Buu, he's one of the best the franchise ever had.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:45 am

MR.Mark wrote:Zamasu is not only a better villain then Cell and Buu, he's one of the best the franchise ever had.
I'm not sure how thats an unpopular opinon, since a large chunk of the fanbase also agree with that...

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am

Then I guess it's just a loud minority, I might be browsing the hub of negativity aka the Super forum to much lately. :lol:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am

FubukiFoxx wrote:Not sure if anyone else shares the same opinion as me on this, but I personally preferred the art in the Saiyan saga to the art later down the line (i.e the Buu saga). I just tended to like that it looked more organic and was less angular, but this is just my personal opinion, of course. I liked when the art had a mixture of organic lines, but more refined anatomy than DB.
I definitely love art style from the end of DB to start of DBZ the most. DBZ movies 1 and 2 represent the best of that era in terms of animation :)

FubukiFoxx wrote:That said, I do really like the style used in Super.
That does seem to be on the unpopular side.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 am

Michsi wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:Not sure if anyone else shares the same opinion as me on this, but I personally preferred the art in the Saiyan saga to the art later down the line (i.e the Buu saga). I just tended to like that it looked more organic and was less angular, but this is just my personal opinion, of course. I liked when the art had a mixture of organic lines, but more refined anatomy than DB.
I definitely love art style from the end of DB to start of DBZ the most. DBZ movies 1 and 2 represent the best of that era in terms of animation :)

FubukiFoxx wrote:That said, I do really like the style used in Super.
That does seem to be on the unpopular side.
Glad to find someone else who likes the early DBZ art! I've always found that most people liked the more angular style shown later on.

ehe, I think I just like the style in Super because, when it looks good it looks really good (I think it was Episode 114 that showed this quite well?), and it sort of reminds me a little of earlier DBZ animation (due to being softer looking).

Well at least I've got one unpopular opinion! (yay, I like something not many others do! aha) ღゝ◡╹)ノ♡
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am

JazzMazz wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Zamasu is not only a better villain then Cell and Buu, he's one of the best the franchise ever had.
I'm not sure how thats an unpopular opinon, since a large chunk of the fanbase also agree with that...
Well, I don't. Zamasu in both anime and manga could have been developed better, I think he gave up to easy into his plans of mortal extermination.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:16 pm

At least there was something with Zamasu beyond "wanting to see terror on people's faces" like Cell, that was forced.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Sure, but that was not Cell main motivation as after he became perfect, he wanted to test his body by fighting with strongest people on Earth.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 am

I enjoy the first evil dragon (the 2-star Dragon) Goku defeats. His power is unique and clever. It's not just brute strength and one that allows him to fight stronger enemies.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:31 am

Noah wrote:Sure, but that was not Cell main motivation as after he became perfect, he wanted to test his body by fighting with strongest people on Earth.
Which is basically like an evil Goku, which is fine, to bad Toriyama tacked on unnecessary mustache twirling. That aspect works better with Freeza.

Zamasu still has the edge for giving a DB villain some layers for a change.