Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

On the subject of Zamasu, I’d say he was a solid villain but like Baby, the potential behind the character wasn’t fully used. Zamasu could’ve potentially been a fairly complex character but when all was said and done, he wasn’t really all that different from your typical megalomaniacal Dragon Ball villain. The only major thing that really sets Zamasu apart from the typical DragonBall villain is that he thinks he’s the good guy, whereas most other Dragon Ball villains are well aware that they’re evil.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 pm

"Dragonball" felt more world expanding than "Z" with all their Kais and Buu.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Olympian wrote:"Dragonball" felt more world expanding than "Z" with all their Kais and Buu.
I actually wish OG DB took more time to flesh out Dragon Balls earth before we moved on fighting aliens in outer space.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Olympian wrote:"Dragonball" felt more world expanding than "Z" with all their Kais and Buu.
I think the same about GT in the very first arc and even Z movies expanded more the planet than the actual anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:25 am

Toriyama's designs for GT cast range from passable to awful. He trully phoned it in and for no good reason, seeing how he JUST redesigned the cast in a very fitting way for EOZ few months earlier. Only Pan & Bra needed an update.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:34 am

Basaku wrote:Toriyama's designs for GT cast range from passable to awful. He trully phoned it in and for no good reason, seeing how he JUST redesigned the cast in a very fitting way for EOZ few months earlier. Only Pan & Bra needed an update.
I honestly doubt that's unpopular, especially in regards to moustache Vegeta, though I have seen some sporadic like for that design.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:50 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Basaku wrote:Toriyama's designs for GT cast range from passable to awful. He trully phoned it in and for no good reason, seeing how he JUST redesigned the cast in a very fitting way for EOZ few months earlier. Only Pan & Bra needed an update.
I honestly doubt that's unpopular, especially in regards to moustache Vegeta, though I have seen some sporadic like for that design.
Perhaps privately but in general? Many fans are very uncomfortable criticizing any of Toriyama's ideas or designs. If latex Bra or mustache Vegeta were Toei creations, there would be no end to criticism.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:02 am

While I agree that DB felt more world expanding, I don't care. Lore and world building aren't that interesting to me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 pm

ABED wrote:While I agree that DB felt more world expanding, I don't care. Lore and world building aren't that interesting to me.
You said it already a couple of times, no need to repeat yourself.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:While I agree that DB felt more world expanding, I don't care. Lore and world building aren't that interesting to me.
Did I say it in this thread? Okay, I did, but it does bear repeating because it is boring and I think most people would agree that it's not interesting outside of a story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Well, if you said it I`m sure it is boring.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm

I don't find either Gintama or TFS very funny, and I actually find I laugh more at the actual humor in Dragon Ball.

I'm surprised TFS did nothing with this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6A9CL9HLw , this scene makes me laugh my ass off the way Vegeta gets roasted and then Goku smiles like "You mad?". :lol:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I've always loved Gohan's ritual with Old Kai, yes the one with the dancing and reading comics lol

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote:On the subject of Zamasu, I’d say he was a solid villain but like Baby, the potential behind the character wasn’t fully used. Zamasu could’ve potentially been a fairly complex character but when all was said and done, he wasn’t really all that different from your typical megalomaniacal Dragon Ball villain. The only major thing that really sets Zamasu apart from the typical Drago nBall villain is that he thinks he’s the good guy, whereas most other Dragon Ball villains are well aware that they’re evil.
What sets him apart from the rest and is the most appealing aspect to me, is that he didn't start out evil. He's a Kaioshin, which is one of the last beings in the Dragon Ball world that you'd think would ever become corrupted, that was interesting. Yeah there's Kami/Piccolo,but Kami had to literally manifest an evil side, and didn't become evil himself.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:58 am

The slice of life episodes in dbs are far more entertaining than most of the real episodes
My English is poor .

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:The slice of life episodes in dbs are far more entertaining than most of the real episodes
I don't know if that's so unpopular as usually (from what i've seen) most people think that super's strongest aspect is it's filler/slice of life moments.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Noah wrote:
Did I say it in this thread? Okay, I did, but it does bear repeating because it is boring and I think most people would agree that it's not interesting outside of a story.
Lore in stories adds a lot really, One Piece whilst having Oda telling a very meticulously planned out story, has so much lore surrounding it which adds to it so much so.

That being said, I can see why lore in DB isn't as important - I get annoyed at seeing all the clamouring for the Namekian book of legends to show up again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Lore that comes naturally as the result of a story and maybe offers a little bit of background material to make the world feel lived in is fine. The meticulous and overly detailed approach to lore that is found in Lord of the Rings only adds to the page count. Much of the call for exploring DB's lore would only lead to greater page count.

I've never seen One Piece.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 pm

i actually don't mind the kikuchi score placement in db kai
My English is poor .

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:i actually don't mind the kikuchi score placement in db kai
Me neither, it's a bit better in Z but overall it's not bad. It helps too that it's the intended score for the show Kai was based on so it's more natural than Yamamoto, and Kai and Z are more or less the same show just taken at different paces.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: