Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Zamasu/Black was one of the most underveloped, underwhelming villains the series has had to date.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Zamasu/Black was one of the most underveloped, underwhelming villains the series has had to date.
You're not exactly wrong about the 'underveloped' part. It would've been nice if Merged Zamasu had been around for a few more episodes, although i adored his presence in the story nonetheless.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Can't you people just decide? :D
MR.Mark wrote:Zamasu is not only a better villain then Cell and Buu, he's one of the best the franchise ever had.
supersaiyanZero wrote:Zamasu/Black was one of the most underveloped, underwhelming villains the series has had to date.

But anyway, supersaiyanZero, I agree if you're referring to to the manga, because I think their anime counterparts were good developed.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
You're not exactly wrong about the 'underveloped' part. It would've been nice if Merged Zamasu had been around for a few more episodes, although i adored his presence in the story nonetheless.
Whether that's true or not, some development is better than none. Most big bads that are killed in DB before moving on to the next have none.

Whether you like his personality or not, Zamasu was essentially a misguided but good being at first, that then descended into madness. That's more than your usual DB villain.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Noah wrote:Can't you people just decide? :D
MR.Mark wrote:Zamasu is not only a better villain then Cell and Buu, he's one of the best the franchise ever had.
The duality of man

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Most big bads that are killed in DB before moving on to the next have none.
Such as?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Most big bads that are killed in DB before moving on to the next have none.
Such as?
Freeza used to be one until Super changed that. Cell was just another mustache twirler once he became perfect and was just an obstacle to be killed. Majin Buu in his true form is just chaos, so another "Final Boss".

Going further back, Tao Pai Pai was just a super strong assassin that Goku killed, only to be revived to show how strong Tenshinhan is, this idea was later recycled by Toriyama with Freeza and Trunks.

Even Vegeta didn't really start to get development until the majority of the Buu arc. Him and Nappa started off as two big bads that we knew nothing about other than there strong assholes from space and the same race as Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 am

Freeza has no development? He considers himself a refined gentleman, but underneath is a psychotic sadist who in spite of being FAR stronger than just about everyone still has a fear of being overthrown.

Tao Pai Pai was not a big bad. He was a memorable antagonist, but not the big bad of the Red Ribbon Army arc.

Vegeta was well defined pretty much from the jump. The only thing we don't get from the start is that he a prince, but we do get that Vegeta is a smug elitist who has no time for people he considers useless. That is a personality. I don't think you are looking close enough if all you saw was too strong guys.

What do you consider development?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am

MR.Mark wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Whether that's true or not, some development is better than none. Most big bads that are killed in DB before moving on to the next have none.

Whether you like his personality or not, Zamasu was essentially a misguided but good being at first, that then descended into madness. That's more than your usual DB villain.
I know very well Zamasu's personality and character development, which i deem wonderfully and masterfully done. Plus, as you mentioned, he is one-of-a-kind villain in Dragon Ball, as most antagonists are evil for the sake of being evil.

Perhaps, 'underdeveloped' is not the correct term to use, since i do believe Zamasu's ideals were fleshed-out very well throughout the arc and i felt very attached to the character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 am

The only one who I think is evil for the sake of being evil is Piccolo. If we include GT, then the Evil Dragons. Characters like Cell and Freeza don't think of what they do in moral terms. It's simply about power.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm

ABED wrote:The only one who I think is evil for the sake of being evil is Piccolo. If we include GT, then the Evil Dragons. Characters like Cell and Freeza don't think of what they do in moral terms. It's simply about power.
what about Super Boo and Kid Boo?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:23 pm

He doesn't have any viewpoint. He's just a creature bent on destruction because that was what he is created for. He's neither good nor evil. I'm going with the original origin, not the retconned origin.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:29 pm

ABED wrote:He doesn't have any viewpoint. He's just a creature bent on destruction because that was what he is created for. He's neither good nor evil. I'm going with the original origin, not the retconned origin.
he wasnt really created though. He was always a rampaging eldritch abomination though, thats how I see him

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:32 pm

unpopular opinions

1. Saiyans as a whole have been underutilized: look at how superman has used kryptons technology, history, enemies etc. to make new arcs, I feel theres more that can be done with the race the main hero comes from, and raditz particularly was done no justice.

2. The fact there isnt a war for control of the universe started between rival factions with king kold and freeza gone baffles me.

3. Tien's alien origins are not utlized and this infuriates me

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
ABED wrote:He doesn't have any viewpoint. He's just a creature bent on destruction because that was what he is created for. He's neither good nor evil. I'm going with the original origin, not the retconned origin.
he wasnt really created though. He was always a rampaging eldritch abomination though, thats how I see him
He was created. The manga originally said he was created.
1. Saiyans as a whole have been underutilized: look at how superman has used kryptons technology, history, enemies etc. to make new arcs, I feel theres more that can be done with the race the main hero comes from, and raditz particularly was done no justice.

2. The fact there isnt a war for control of the universe started between rival factions with king kold and freeza gone baffles me.

3. Tien's alien origins are not utlized and this infuriates me
1. Raditz's tenure while short, was very memorable.
2. Even if there was, why would it impact Earth?
3. Why would that infuriate you? It's not part of the original manga.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 pm

ABED wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
He was created. The manga originally said he was created.

Actually Toriyama retconned it a fews years ago in an interview.

How did Bibbidi make Majin Boo? What process was there, what were Boo’s ingredients, etc…

Though in the manga Kaiōshin said that Bibbidi made him, the truth is that one called “Boo” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial. He cycled between rampages and long hibernation. During numerous iterations of this cycle, he absorbed the evil elements of mankind, becoming steadily more violent. Bibbidi merely knew the means of calling Boo from out of his long slumber. Since the current Boo is a slightly different life-form due to the changes brought about when the evil Boo was expelled, it’s not known whether he’ll still go into long hibernation.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Double post
Last edited by Omniboy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Magic is pure bullcrap. What possible explanation beyond them saying they created Buu do you want? They explicitly stated that they created Majin Buu. Whether you like that explanation isn't relevant, it's what the story says happened.
truth is that one called “Boo” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial.
I said from the outset that I'm disregarding statements made by Toriyama after the fact. In the manga, everyone says Bibidi CREATED Buu.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 pm

ABED wrote:Magic is pure bullcrap. What possible explanation beyond them saying they created Buu do you want? They explicitly stated that they created Majin Buu. Whether you like that explanation isn't relevant, it's what the story says happened.
truth is that one called “Boo” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial.
I said from the outset that I'm disregarding statements made by Toriyama after the fact. In the manga, everyone says Bibidi CREATED Buu.

My apologies. Didn't see that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 pm

My statement may have come off as harsher than I intended.