Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am

Yes, he gives them advice, but they never took it. They didn't develop so they didn't crap all over anything. You make it sound like they went backwards. However, they never developed into a team. And they never agreed to go along with Whis's idea. I guess you could say they subverted the expectations Whis created at the beginning, but not going into the movie.
RoF was underwhelming in the same aspect some people though TLJ was.
You want me to go through 1440 pages? Fine, people wanted to see those things, but it doesn't make it bad writing to not give people what they want or what they expect. For instance, wanting Vegeta to be the one to finish off Freeza and things like that. Vegeta killing Freeza this time isn't cathartic. It doesn't make up for anything and he's not the main character. And who exactly was clamoring for 18 to play a big part in the movie. THat feels very random. What the thread feels like isn't genuine expectations but a bunch of guys talking and building up in their own mind what they think should happen and then projecting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am

They develop into a team in the Zamasu and ToP arcs so they clearly listened to Whis' advice. Their line about never working together is completely out-of-place within the context of the film it's in and with the knowledge of what happens next.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

ABED wrote:Yes, he gives them advice, but they never took it. They didn't develop so they didn't crap all over anything. You make it sound like they went backwards. However, they never developed into a team. And they never agreed to go along with Whis's idea. I guess you could say they subverted the expectations Whis created at the beginning, but not going into the movie.
That's kinda the same argument ekrolo2 used before: "Freeza always returned to be humiliated, so this time should not be different."
Sure Goku and Vegeta never were fond of the idea of fighting together in the series, I wasn't expecting them to do that in the movie, but at least realize they could have done that to avoid Freeza destroying the planet.
You want me to go through 1440 pages? Fine, people wanted to see those things, but it doesn't make it bad writing to not give people what they want or what they expect. For instance, wanting Vegeta to be the one to finish off Freeza and things like that. Vegeta killing Freeza this time isn't cathartic. It doesn't make up for anything and he's not the main character. And who exactly was clamoring for 18 to play a big part in the movie. THat feels very random. What the thread feels like isn't genuine expectations but a bunch of guys talking and building up in their own mind what they think should happen and then projecting.
Not really, you can always jump through pages by increasing the numbers in the url. I'm not sure what you mean by 'cathartic' but Vegeta being the main character or is not really something that could prevent him for finishing the main villain, it would actually make sense considering his past story with the latter. Not exactly clamoring, but having reasonable thoughts about it: 18 herself adress in the movie that she's stronger than half of the people that were going to fight Freeza, meaning that she should be there too. And tell me how "a bunch of guys talking and building up in their own mind what they think should happen..." as not the same regarding TLJ?
Doctor. wrote:They develop into a team in the Zamasu and ToP arcs so they clearly listened to Whis' advice. Their line about never working together is completely out-of-place within the context of the film it's in and with the knowledge of what happens next.
Please, mate. We're mainly talking about DBZ: Resurrection Of 'F' and at that time the idea of a new anime series never crossed our minds, so my point of view is based solely on the movie, not what came afterwards and also because we can't connect the movies with Super.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 am

Cathartic, meaning an emotional release. Vegeta killing Freeza is construed by some to be cathartic considering Vegeta was killed by Freeza and had his whole race and homeworld destroyed by him. Many have argued that because of the pain Freeza put Vegeta through, it would be fitting for Vegeta to be the one to deliver the final blow. I get that idea, but it's not like Vegeta was innocent.

18 is strong but she's such a peripheral character, and other than the last Broly movie, she's not featured much.

I think it's important to understand that expectations are what you think will happen, not what you want to happen.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Noah wrote:Please, mate. We're mainly talking about DBZ: Resurrection Of 'F' and at that time the idea of a new anime series never crossed our minds, so my point of view is based solely on the movie, not what came afterwards and also because we can't connect the movies with Super.
But I'm agreeing with you? I'm saying it's out-of-place both in the context of the movie and in the context of the next stories.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:52 pm

ABED wrote:Cathartic, meaning an emotional release. Vegeta killing Freeza is construed by some to be cathartic considering Vegeta was killed by Freeza and had his whole race and homeworld destroyed by him. Many have argued that because of the pain Freeza put Vegeta through, it would be fitting for Vegeta to be the one to deliver the final blow. I get that idea, but it's not like Vegeta was innocent.

18 is strong but she's such a peripheral character, and other than the last Broly movie, she's not featured much.

I think it's important to understand that expectations are what you think will happen, not what you want to happen.

You mean innocent because Vegeta also committed a lot of crimes? I don't know I still think he could be the one to give the finishing blow, not because of grudge or something else, but because it fits better.
I have no problem with Goku killing Freeza this time, but I would prefer it wasn't in such a 'comical' way.

You're right about 18, but it's reasonable to think that with a new threat coming to Earth they should bring their best forces: Gohan, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, Boo, 18 and Krillin.

Doctor. wrote:But I'm agreeing with you? I'm saying it's out-of-place both in the context of the movie and in the context of the next stories.
Oh pardon then, I thought you meant it wasn't a big deal to them joke about Whis advice when they embraced that in the following sequences.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Yes, he wasn't innocent. Freeza beat him to death and it's a great moment, but I don't feel sorry for him because he did that to so many others. Goku's history with Freeza doesn't go back as far, but it's also very personal.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:42 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:I actually like Sean Schemmel's King Kai voice; actually preferring it over his Ocean dub actor, Don Brown (though I like him as King Kai as well, make no mistake), and it actually sounds like he actually gives a shit compared to his seiyuu.
you can't simply judge his performance based on his lines in Kai/Super because he was ill and very old at that time. but, overall his Kaio was awesome in his Prime and he clearly "Gaved a Shit" about his roles. you sound like one of those dub fans we see on YouTube who complain about Goku being voiced by a girl or King Kai voice being awful in sub.

also, Kaio is indeed silly, but he is also supposed to be a god and a martial arts master. Joji Yanami handles the silliness quite well in my opinion but he always manages to capture the other aspects of his character. Schemmel does not. and it's not just that it's high-pitched. in the original English Dub that was Ocean Dub, Don Brown was the voice of Kaio (and the voice that Schemmel would be hired to imitate), and I thought it was okay. But Schemmel's take on it is honestly literally painful for me to listen to. It always has been, ever since I was a kid. It's the combination of the high pitch, the lisping, the raspiness. Hell, it's difficult for me to even understand what he's saying half the time.

When I saw Super Dub, I actually found dub Kaio to be pretty funny. The writing was funny, and Schemmel's acting was good... but I still can't get past that awful voice Sean gives him.

Basically, Yanami manages to imbue respect and intelligence to Kaio. With Schemmel's portrayal, if I knew nothing about the character and could only base it on performance, I'd assume he was an absolute idiot, and I'd never be able to believe he was anything more than some fat, goofy catfish man.

Michael McConnohie from Bang Zoom Dub of Dragon Ball Super is the Best English voice for his Kaio's character. he capture the sage like nature but still has that funny feel to it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Never liked the Great Saiyaman shtick. I don't know, I never found it funny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Never liked the Great Saiyaman shtick. I don't know, I never found it funny.
Not sure how that's unpopular either
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Noah wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Never liked the Great Saiyaman shtick. I don't know, I never found it funny.
I constantly see posts about people's love for those episodes/chapters. I rarely the contrary opinion from people other than myself.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:16 pm

ABED wrote:I constantly see posts about people's love for those episodes/chapters. I rarely the contrary opinion from people other than myself.
Well, I did liked the beginning of the Boo arc, see Dragon Ball taking a High School routine was interesting to me, but the Great Saiyaman part not that much, although I think they did well on the anime dragging a little bit this part, it made more convincing how Videl learned about Gohan secret.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ChaosWolf1982

Post by ChaosWolf1982 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:49 pm

I like Krillin.

I put that here because, from what I've seen through many years of being in the fandom, it seems to be pretty popular to NOT like him.

But come on, folks. The guy is canonically THE strongest human on Earth, has his fighting ability constantly underestimated despite the fact he both trained with and kept pace with a Saiyan as a child, regularly goes all-in against foes way out of his league despite usually being scared sh*tless of them simply because "someone has to do it" and a lot of the time he's the only one left to do it, and he even managed to score a hot wife who, unlike the other two married couples in the series, isn't constantly bickering with him at the drop of a Senzu but actually f*cking LOVES him...

All of that seems like it'd earn the noseless orphan from Orinji Temple some fandom respect... but no. Poor guy is constantly demeaned, belittled, ridiculed, and in the more, uh, Roshi-esque corners of the fandom, treated as if he is undeserving of his wife whom is frequently portrayed as cheating on him as a result. Hell, his determination in the face of adversity, which is also usually in spite of his own fears, often unfortunately resulting in defeat, is treated as not just a running gag in the fandom's most famous creation, but is the oldest such running gag in the entire series.

I like Krillin. I don't care if that's not popular. He deserves more love and respect from the fans.
"Let's see... There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
-- Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Krillin:Why you must be trying to seduce me ChaosWolf1982!

I love Krillin too. I've been wanting to make a thread all about how it was Krillin who saved Dragon Ball. Not Piccolo, Gohan or Vegeta. Krillin. It was his inclusion and changing the scope of Dragon Ball towards mastery of Martial Arts and the Excellence of Self that were the game changer Dragon Ball needed to stay in publication. I know this also has to do with Goku himself, but Krillin was the man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:39 am

Krillin is easily the best character in the series, or at least my favorite.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:03 am

Kuririn memes suck.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 am

ABED wrote:
Noah wrote:
I constantly see posts about people's love for those episodes/chapters. I rarely the contrary opinion from people other than myself.
There's a newfound appreciation for the Buu arc in general, but I couldn't tell you what brought it on. I remember a few years back whenever someone made a thread about ranking the arc from favorite to least favorite, the Buu arc was almost always dead last. And almost everyone thought the Great Saiyaman gig had ruined Gohan as a character.
People have warmed up a lot towards the Great Saiyaman and Mr. Satan, but I don't know if they moved up the ranks too.

Having said that, I'm not too fond of the Saiyaman stuff either, but mostly because I find the dance silly. If it was just Gohan trying his hand at the hero bit, I wouldn't have minded.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 am

I never got the sense that fans disliked Mr. Satan after his growth in the aforementioned arc.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Michsi wrote:There's a newfound appreciation for the Buu arc in general, but I couldn't tell you what brought it on. I remember a few years back whenever someone made a thread about ranking the arc from favorite to least favorite, the Buu arc was almost always dead last.
I'm not sure what brought it on either, but I think that Mike said it best a while back -- something about an ebb and flow in the appreciation/popularity of a particular arc every so often. The Boo arc has been in this flow the past year or so (appearing at or near the top of many rankings), while at that very same time the Cell arc is put down way more often than not when it used to be received a bit better by the consensus a few years back (it's a conspiracy I tell ya!). Also, more people seem to have taken more an appreciation with the original Red Ribbon arc in recent times than I had seen in past years.

My theory/assumption regarding the Boo arcs more recent positive reception, is that Super has had more look at the Boo arc from a somewhat different perspective. When there's something else to compare the Boo arc with, little touches about things such as characterization and impactful sound effects that hadn't been as noticed before are made more visible/audible. Many are appreciating more the attention to detail in previous arcs (and better general execution of action, tension, and comedy with Boo) when stacking it up with the current series, amongst a variety of other reasons.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Kuririn memes suck.
Those meme are awful like 9000 & death poses,i hate the misconception of krillin being useless yet he contributed to the plot way more than tien.
Soppa Saia People wrote:Krillin is easily the best character in the series, or at least my favorite.
He is also one of my favorite characters mostly because his role in Z.
Mostly active on discord.