Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

King13s

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by King13s » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm

My heretic belief is that GT is better than Super.

The first ark was fantastic and let the viewer have some fun before things got serious. After that GT was filled with amazing ideas, executed poorly. The art varies some but stays at least decent throughout. And Super Saiyan 4, dumb name aside, is by far a more interesting to me as a form change than SSBlue.

Where as for me Super has been nothing but a rehash of 2 movies and Toyotaro's fan fic. Now we've got the unending tournament and it's pointless. There's no investment. All these new characters are throwaways trying to get interest but failing.

But I whole heartedly understand that this is an opinion. I see a lot of fun things and ideas that could have been great.

The pride troopers could have been an elite force, circa Jako, chasing after Goku and Vegeta for the murder of Frieza, time travel, constant reality abuse. An elite task force that is the good guys punishing our heroes for their "good intentioned" crimes.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Caulifla and Kale may be my favorite characters in Super. But I adore Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs! Magical girls in Dragon Ball?! I'm in! I want them to get their own series ASAP! And it really sucks that so many people seem to dislike them for no reason other than "No, they outclassed mah boy, Hit!"
People also hate Ribrianne for her repulsive appearance as well being annoying with the love sthick.
    To me I find Ribrianne and her two comrades alright through I wish they were stronger but I do like their design and ability with Rozie being my favorite out of the three.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Repulsive appearance? I can understand people found her grating over time, but she ain't ugly. And yeah, I'd happily sit through a universe 2/Kamikaze Fireballs series.

Cure Dragon 255
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Yeah. I really dont like the logic that fat equals repulsive.
    Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
    90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
    I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm

My set of opinions:
    DBZ is the most overrated and overhyped series in existence
    GT > DBZ
    ChiChi > Bulma
    GT Pan is the best character in franchise
    Videl is the best DBZ character and second best character in franchise
    Baby is the best villain in franchise
    Zamasu is the worst villain in franchise
    Adult Gohan > Teen/Kid Gohan
    There are at least 3 dragons beter than Omega Shenron (Haze, Oceanus, Nuova)
    Making Goku a child in GT was the best thing that could happen
    My Little Pony has better main character than Dragon Ball (Twilight Sparkle > Goku)
    "I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GamerSkull
    Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:My set of opinions:
    GT > DBZ
    ChiChi > Bulma
    My Little Pony has better main character than Dragon Ball (Twilight Sparkle > Goku)
    I agree with the bolded. Personally, I really like the Adult Gohan's dynamic with Videl... even in Super.
    "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 am

GamerSkull wrote:
    GT > DBZ
    ChiChi > Bulma
    I agree with the bolded. Personally, I really like the Adult Gohan's dynamic with Videl... even in Super.
    Adult Gohan is definitely far more interesting as he's a actually a character, he's his own person.

As for Z I cannot deny it's not overrated. The Manga is definitely the best form to enjoy that portion in Toei's adaptation is pretty bad.

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm

ChiChi > Bulma
    Teen Gohan > Kid Gohan
    Agree here. Just a pet peeve that people call Gohan from Cell Games "Teen"

sunsetshimmer
    I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
    ChiChi > Bulma
    Teen Gohan > Kid Gohan
    Agree here. Just a pet peeve that people call Gohan from Cell Games "Teen"
    Yeah, i'm used to wrong american names where "Teen Gohan" is actually the one from Cell games, not Buu saga.
    So to make it clear for everyone.
    By "Adult Gohan > Teen/Kid Gohan"
    I meant "GT/DBS/Buu saga Gohan > Cell saga/Frieza saga/Saiyan saga Gohan
    "I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:11 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: So to make it clear for everyone.
    By "Adult Gohan > Teen/Kid Gohan"
    I meant "GT/DBS/Buu saga Gohan > Cell saga/Frieza saga/Saiyan saga Gohan
    I know what you meant. I'm js that even in Cell he's only 9-10. Never understood why the games call him Teen

Gligarman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I got into an argument with a couple of buddies because I said that Yajirobe is a badass! Come on! The dude at one point cut his opponent in half, stuck a stick up his ass, then ate him! I always wished that he got to play a bigger role in the later part of the series so I was glad to see him come back in Super briefly.

GamerSkull
    Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Gligarman wrote:I got into an argument with a couple of buddies because I said that Yajirobe is a badass! Come on! The dude at one point cut his opponent in half, stuck a stick up his ass, then ate him! I always wished that he got to play a bigger role in the later part of the series so I was glad to see him come back in Super briefly.
    Yeah, he's cool. Actually, I wish there were more slice-of-life episodes on the cast that didn't get relevant parts in the latter half of the DB series.
    "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Gligarman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
    Gligarman wrote:I got into an argument with a couple of buddies because I said that Yajirobe is a badass! Come on! The dude at one point cut his opponent in half, stuck a stick up his ass, then ate him! I always wished that he got to play a bigger role in the later part of the series so I was glad to see him come back in Super briefly.
    Yeah, he's cool. Actually, I wish there were more slice-of-life episodes on the cast that didn't get relevant parts in the latter half of the DB series.
    I was happy to see Yajirobe and Karin in that delightfully silly limbo scene at the beginning of the new Future Trunks arc. Though I'm surprised they left out his stache and his vest. I'm gonna chock that one up to a production error since he was briefly seen earlier in the show with them.

GamerSkull
    Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Gligarman wrote:
    GamerSkull wrote:
    I was happy to see Yajirobe and Karin in that delightfully silly limbo scene at the beginning of the new Future Trunks arc. Though I'm surprised they left out his stache and his vest. I'm gonna chock that one up to a production error since he was briefly seen earlier in the show with them.
    Oh wow. I didn't even notice. I guess it might be because I'm so used to the other design.
    "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Olympian
    Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:26 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
    Dbzfan94 wrote:
    GamerSkull wrote:Here's another unpopular opinion I have:

Freeza is getting too much attention. He's my favorite villain but they keep using him and I'm kind of getting bored of the character.

Frost doesn't help either.
    Honestly dont think this is unpopular, but I agree with you
    It isn't? I was under the impression that a lot of people dug Freeza's involvement in the Tournament of Power. I must have been mistaken.
    I do like what uncertainty his character brings but I am too burned out on Freeza because that uncertainty should have a goal and not just be there because.

I find his TOP character sort of pallatable but his ROF is rubbish.
    Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

ulisa
    Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:55 pm

I’ll agree with Freeza being focused on too much. I appreciated his character during his first appearance but I actually don’t think he’s the best villain in the series. Now, don’t get me wrong, he definitely is a diabolical tyrant and I do appreciate his sophisticated speech pattern (simply for the great contrast) but he just was never that interesting to me. Seeing him brought back again and again is getting rather stale. I’d rather others characters got more focus.
    We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

CJStriker_CBR
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Weejus wrote:
    Spider-Man wrote:
    Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Caulifla and Kale may be my favorite characters in Super. But I adore Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs! Magical girls in Dragon Ball?! I'm in! I want them to get their own series ASAP! And it really sucks that so many people seem to dislike them for no reason other than "No, they outclassed mah boy, Hit!"
    People also hate Ribrianne for her repulsive appearance as well being annoying with the love sthick.
      To me I find Ribrianne and her two comrades alright through I wish they were stronger but I do like their design and ability with Rozie being my favorite out of the three.
      Whoa, whoa, whoa. Repulsive appearance? I can understand people found her grating over time, but she ain't ugly. And yeah, I'd happily sit through a universe 2/Kamikaze Fireballs series.
      Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yeah. I really dont like the logic that fat equals repulsive.
      By all Logic and Respect it does not, but when has the internet ever-sided with Logic or Respect for different flavors of characters.

It was one thing just to not be a fan of hers, that is fine you like who you want to like, but some fans took it Way overboard with Ranting about her every single moment and on every point about Ribrianne, accept they seem to ignore the important character growth moments we got from here Episodes 111, 117 and 118, it was always about her looks and her Love Words. I think for many however in the end it was just a bandwagon effect that once it lost is luster and U2 went out like a Class act in 118 many let go of it, for many the dislike like I believe was never serious, just a fade many likely never really tried to understand.

Also I have read at least Twice on the Net that Ribrianne is Very Popular in Japan, which knowing have, Magical Girls, mostly Precure and Sailor Moon's cultural importance in Japan is not a surprise at all if true. 8)

So I think all of this so called Hate was from a select few that hyped it to much in the West and just moved on when it was not fun anymore.

I find Women beautiful in all sizes, skinny and large, a woman is a beauty more in how they respect themselves and their pride in who they are. So Ribrianne's Size I always felt and I read this around the net as well, was a positive thing, even seen as a Positive Image Ideal for women that you don't have to be a Skinny, Over-Sexulized girl in DB or Anime in General to Be Powerful and a Good Fighter.
      --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
      Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
      Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
      My #1 in DB!
      :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
      http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CJStriker_CBR
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:34 pm

I am Glad to hear you liked Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs Dragon Ball Gus, your enthusiasm is awesome!

Also it is right up my fandom as well, I have been waiting for Magical Girls like Sailor Moon in Dragon Ball for nearly 20 years, so when Toei finally pulling the trigger on them, it was a Dream come true for my fandom! Indeed I waited till after episode 102 to make my final decisions to see if they where who I hoped and they blew it out of the Water, so yea they have been a favorite of mine since then.

It be nice for them to have their own little Manga Series, origin series would be nice to get backstory on them. :thumbup:

Also I like to mention seeing your fandom as well, that Caulifla and Kale Grew on me in the ToP and I ended up liking them a good deal by the end of their stories run up to this point, I Hope but am sure they will comeback, but they left a great impression on my fandom! :thumbup:
      --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
      Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
      Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
      My #1 in DB!
      :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
      http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

GamerSkull
      Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Olympian wrote:
      GamerSkull wrote:
      Dbzfan94 wrote:

I find his TOP character sort of pallatable but his ROF is rubbish.
      I agree. He's treated really badly in ROF. I remember feeling like they tarnished the character when I first saw the movie.

I think they should have just left him dead after that... he's likely gonna get the same treatment after the ToP. All that build up.... I want to believe it will amount to something, but I doubt it.
      "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Ki Breaker
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Freeza's TOP return is the best thing super has produced, not even an exaggeration, every single scene he has been in has been a delight, hopefully Freeza sticks around after this if DB ever decides to come back..
      Dosen't matter how they do it, turn him good, turn him anti hero, retire vegeta, make him the MC, dosen't matter as long as he continues to be this entertaining
      The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dbzfan94
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Freeza's TOP return is the best thing super has produced, not even an exaggeration, every single scene he has been in has been a delight, hopefully Freeza sticks around after this if DB ever decides to come back..
      Dosen't matter how they do it, turn him good, turn him anti hero, retire vegeta, make him the MC, dosen't matter as long as he continues to be this entertaining
      Yeahhh I disagree. For a lot of this tournament, Freeza did nothing for me. He had some good moments but the character should be retired. His HOHOHOHOHO laugh every 5 seconds he's on screen is annoying as hell too. Should have stayed retired after Trunks showed up.