Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto hardly appears in the grand scheme, so I'm not too concerned about it but since Kakarot has both an "o" and a "t" I just see Vegetto as an anagram.

Now FUNi are using Vegetto, don't have to worry about a random "i" anymore!
Since when?!
Since as of Buu Kai last year. Was a total surprise to see them ditch the "Vegito" spelling.
Didn't they still use "Vegito" when DLC 4 came out in Xenoverse 2?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Since when?!
Since as of Buu Kai last year. Was a total surprise to see them ditch the "Vegito" spelling.
Didn't they still use "Vegito" when DLC 4 came out in Xenoverse 2?
They aren't part of the localisation for games though, right? All they do is just dub, no?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto hardly appears in the grand scheme, so I'm not too concerned about it but since Kakarot has both an "o" and a "t" I just see Vegetto as an anagram.

Now FUNi are using Vegetto, don't have to worry about a random "i" anymore!
Since when?!
That's interesting to learn about. I haven't followed Buu Kai at all so I didn't learn about that until now.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Fanboy Alert

I want to see some more cool Yamcha things. (Not like the spin-off we just got because that technically wasn't even him).
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Incoming Rant
Jiren is just Tien during his debut appearance way back in the original Dragonball.... with pretty much any semblance of character sucked out.

Tien actually had some redeeming qualities to him, and an actual personality. Not to mention that he didn't need some tragic angsty backstory to be an enjoyable character. The backstory we did get for Tien (and Chaozu, by extension) wasn't contrived, and didn't only show up 20 episodes after he first appears.

Jiren, on the other hand, has no personality aside from "Hey guys, I'm super goddamn strong; everybody else sucks." The Manga at least made Jiren a bit more purposeful and likable. The only redeeming thing about Jiren is.... the fights with him were kinda cool, and that's about it. His backstory is nothing more than the ever-so-cliche emo "My family was killed and my friends abandoned me, so fuck all of that!" plotline. Yes, we've had this sort of plot in the same series, but the problem with Jiren is that they didn't even try to do anything different with it like they did with say, Vegeta.

TLDR: Jiren was boring, and I seriously hope he gets knocked out.
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Since when?!
That's interesting to learn about. I haven't followed Buu Kai at all so I didn't learn about that until now.
They also had Schemmel add an accent on for the voice for Vegetto, it came out really nice. If that the one he uses for SSR I will be satisfied.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:The only redeeming thing about Jiren is.... the fights with him were kinda cool, and that's about it.
Super not having good characterisation, and basically only thriving on hype and fancy fighting, with no actual substance to back it up? Crazy talk... :roll:

Super's lack of substance, and the fact it basically only passes by on hype and fancy fights really bothers me. For me, Dragon Ball has always been a charming, fun story with likeable characters, and fun villains, with the fighting being the icing on the cake. Super is basically all icing, and no cake, which... Ends up just overloading you on sugar, and not doing much else. It gets me excited while it's going on, but basically as soon as it's over, it turns sour. :|
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:06 pm

New unpopular opinion

Tournament of Power is one of the worst DB arcs to date. There’s little to no consistency from episode to episode. It feels so episodic like many American cartoons are. The writing feels like they forget what happened 4 seconds prior. Also for a battle royale where everything is supposed to be happening at the same time, events happen in consequence. Characters disappear for episodes at a time and just turns out they were standing still doing nothing the whole time.

I see so many things about this character got such a great showing but for the most part excluding 17 and Freeza they got one or two good moments and that’s it.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm

My unpopular DB opinion? I think GT is pretty good, even the TV special. It's not perfect by all means, nor is it better than DB, Z, or Super. But I really enjoyed it for what it was. I actually would have loved it if it went passed 64 episodes.
You must have faith in who you are.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Since as of Buu Kai last year. Was a total surprise to see them ditch the "Vegito" spelling.
They also had Schemmel add an accent on for the voice for Vegetto, it came out really nice. If that the one he uses for SSR I will be satisfied.
Thank you for the information.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:New unpopular opinion

Tournament of Power is one of the worst DB arcs to date. There’s little to no consistency from episode to episode. It feels so episodic like many American cartoons are. The writing feels like they forget what happened 4 seconds prior. Also for a battle royale where everything is supposed to be happening at the same time, events happen in consequence. Characters disappear for episodes at a time and just turns out they were standing still doing nothing the whole time.

I see so many things about this character got such a great showing but for the most part excluding 17 and Freeza they got one or two good moments and that’s it.
Yup this totally work as a stand alone story :lolno: the episodic format is completely destroying my enjoyment and the recruitment phase aside from a couple of episode was boring as hell, never gonna rewatch those part when it get released a dub.
Mostly active on discord.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am

The gr wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:New unpopular opinion

Yup this totally work as a stand alone story :lolno: the episodic format is completely destroying my enjoyment and the recruitment phase aside from a couple of episode was boring as hell, never gonna rewatch those part when it get released a dub.
I'm curious if this will remain an unpopular opinion. The TOP has been a rollercoaster when it comes to general opinion. It started out pretty low, got better with that Roshi episode, dropped again, then had that string of pretty good episodes from 109 -120 with 111,115 and 119 being the only exceptions. Since then it's been pretty 'meh' I'd say.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am

Michsi wrote: I'm curious if this will remain an unpopular opinion. The TOP has been a rollercoaster when it comes to general opinion. It started out pretty low, got better with that Roshi episode, dropped again, then had that string of pretty good episodes from 109 -120 with 111,115 and 119 being the only exceptions. Since then it's been pretty 'meh' I'd say.
This arc is extremely popular in the other side of the community to a lesser extent here.It has a rollercoaster of opinion, the next saga need to drop this episodic nonesense and focus on a legit story.
Last edited by The gr on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am

The gr wrote:
Michsi wrote: I'm curious if this will remain an unpopular opinion. The TOP has been a rollercoaster when it comes to general opinion. It started out pretty low, got better with that Roshi episode, dropped again, then had that string of pretty good episodes from 109 -120 with 111,115 and 119 being the only exceptions. Since then it's been pretty 'meh' I'd say.
This arc is extremely popular in the other side of the community to a lesser extent here.
It's all fanservice. Like Robo said, it's like the icing without the cake.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
The gr wrote:
This arc is extremely popular in the other side of the community to a lesser extent here.
It's an interesting analogy, but I have to say, I've had cake where the icing was what made the whole thing good. :? So, fan-service alone can be enough for some, but we'll see.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
The gr wrote: This arc is extremely popular in the other side of the community to a lesser extent here.
It's an interesting analogy, but I have to say, I've had cake where the icing was what made the whole thing good. :? So, fan-service alone can be enough for some, but we'll see.
I share dbzfan of it being one of worse if not worse.It is riding on fan service to be watchable.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I share dbzfan of it being one of worse if not worse.It is riding on fan service to be watchable.
At least it's better than the RF arc. That was just abysmal all around. To this day I havent seen the whole thing

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Michsi wrote:It's an interesting analogy, but I have to say, I've had cake where the icing was what made the whole thing good. :? So, fan-service alone can be enough for some, but we'll see.
It can be done, but you have to have at least a decent cake in the first place.

I think of one of my favourite Doctor Who stories, The Three Doctors. In 1973, the writers thought "Hey, why don't we bring back the other two actors who've played the Doctor, and have them do a cool thing with the current(Third) Doctor in honour of the show's 10-year anniversary?"
And yeah, there was a lot of fanservice, because of course there would be. But, the plot itself was fairly well thought-out, the characters were the fan favourites we'd come to love over the past 10 seasons, and most importantly, the writing was sharp as a tack. Wall to wall wit, the characters all were doing things that made sense, and actually, the story itself was a fairly clever idea that made the multi-Doctor crossover make sense.

Ultimately, it was a good cake, but the icing was what made it. Omega was a cool villain, but what you came to see was the Brigadier arguing with the Doctors about whether UNIT HQ has been mysteriously transported to a parallel antimatter universe, or just a quarry in Norfolk, while the Doctors struggle to explain to Jo Grant that the second Doctor is in fact an earlier form of the third Doctor, and not simply another man entirely, while at the same time bickering with each-other in a way only two of the same person from different eras in their life could.
It's a riot.

Later on, you have The Five Doctors, which wasn't as good, because the plot was very thin, and realistically there were too many characters to juggle. Still though, the writing itself was very sharp, so as much as the whole thing overall ends up a bit of a mess, any given scene is a good laugh, and the whole product together is an entertaining 90 minutes of up-its-own-arse fanservice.

Meanwhile, Dragon Ball Super is ~130x25-minute episodes of up-its-own-arse fanservice that very much doesn't have good writing to get it through the rather abysmal plotting.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
At least it's better than the RF arc. That was just abysmal all around. To this day I havent seen the whole thing
Objectively,RoF was much than this arc but it was way more boring.I enjoyed copy vegeta more.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Objectively,RoF was much than this arc but it was way more boring.I enjoyed copy vegeta more.
Depends.

The Copy Vegeta thing is the only time this really applies to Dragon Ball in my view, so get ready for this...
As much as the arc is rather disappointing in sub viewing, the dub makes it a lot better.

Naturally, there's one very good reason for why this is.