Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

ABED wrote: It seems your conception of Bardock is limited to "badass".
It's not limited to that, but gets my point across.
ABED wrote: He's cold-hearted
"Badass" can apply to that. He's totally different from Goku.
ABED wrote: Nozawa is great as Bardock as she's able to convey those emotions and for many is able to get you to empathize with a murderous bastard who doesn't give a damn about his newborn son.
What makes me empathize with a character is the writing more than anything. A good voice actor comes in second.
Nozawa is a fantastic voice actor, but her tone doesn't fit Bardock at all.
ABED wrote: Bardock isn't like Raditz at all, nor is he like Vegeta.
As far as his personality goes, he always seemed closer to Vegeta than Goku for me.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Cold hearted isn't the same as badass. I mean he's cold hearted because he doesn't give a crap about his son who was just born 2 days prior nor does he care a single bit about having destroyed an entire planet of people.
As far as his personality goes, he always seemed closer to Vegeta than Goku for me.
He not either. Vegeta is an arrogant prince who talks a lot about the greatness of his species. He wants to be the best and for people to know he's better than them. What little we see of Bardock comes down to someone who has an almost blue collar approach (for lack of a better word) to destroying civilizations. Unlike Vegeta, he genuinely cares about his comrades and desperately tries to save them and his entire planet.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:08 pm

ABED wrote:Unlike Vegeta, he genuinely cares about his comrades
Fair enough. That's a good point. I will give you that one.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm

What makes me empathize with a character is the writing more than anything. A good voice actor comes in second.
I dont' know if it comes in second. You need both.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:00 pm

ABED wrote:
The voice actor job is to bring the character to life, but the writing is still the most important factor because that's what makes me decide if I like the character or no.
I don't necessary need both to empathize with a character, because I can empathize with good characters by just reading the manga/book version.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
ABED wrote:
The voice actor job is to bring the character to life, but the writing is still the most important factor because that's what makes me decide if I like the character or no.
I don't necessary need both to empathize with a character, because I can empathize with good characters by just reading the manga/book version.
But good writing with a weak performance doesn't land. I get your point but a bad performance can interfere with otherwise good writing. In a novel you can imagine the best version of the dialog, whereas an actor might not be able to deliver the line that worked on the page.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm

ABED wrote: But good writing with a weak performance doesn't land. I get your point but a bad performance can interfere with otherwise good writing. In a novel you can imagine the best version of the dialog, whereas an actor might not be able to deliver the line that worked on the page.
It's possible the voice actor may not live up to your expectations, but the writing should already made you decide if you like the character or not, in the first place.
Does a bad performance stop you from liking x character, even though you liked him before in the manga/book version?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Yes. I loved Blackbeard in the One Piece manga and now I hate him due to his annoying voice. I even tried the dub, but no, he's ruined for me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:40 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
ABED wrote: But good writing with a weak performance doesn't land. I get your point but a bad performance can interfere with otherwise good writing. In a novel you can imagine the best version of the dialog, whereas an actor might not be able to deliver the line that worked on the page.
It's possible the voice actor may not live up to your expectations, but the writing should already made you decide if you like the character or not, in the first place.
Does a bad performance stop you from liking x character, even though you liked him before in the manga/book version?
Yes, a bad performance can interfere with me liking a character even if I think the writing is fine. Case in point, Dawn Summers in Buffy is more or less fine in season 7, but Michelle Trachtenberg's performance still ruins my perception of a character that had more or less matured by then.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yes. I loved Blackbeard in the One Piece manga and now I hate him due to his annoying voice. I even tried the dub, but no, he's ruined for me.
ABED wrote: Yes, a bad performance can interfere with me liking a character even if I think the writing is fine. Case in point, Dawn Summers in Buffy is more or less fine in season 7, but Michelle Trachtenberg's performance still ruins my perception of a character that had more or less matured by then.
That doesn't happen to me.
I may be disappointed with the voice actor performance, but if the writing is still the same I will keep liking the character regardless.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Disregard the fact that there's a manga. If you take the TV shows on their own, you're saying your perception of the character isn't affected by the actor's performance?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:23 pm

ABED wrote: If you take the TV shows on their own, you're saying your perception of the character isn't affected by the actor's performance?
In that case it may be affected yes, because it's the first time I'm seeing the character and I know nothing about him beforehand.

Now if we're talking about a manga/book that I have read and got adapted into a TV series/Movie, the voice actor/actor performance won't make me change my opinion, because the writing of the source material already made me decide if I liked the character or no.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Bridal Trunks is hilarious

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:39 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Care to give some examples then? I'm all ears. (And one of them had better not be that one political thread where I DID get rather rude to the guy defending fascist ideology. And that was because... he was defending fascist ideology.)
That was honestly legendary. I still go back and read that thread when I'm bored just to see your response to that guy. You were pretty great on the LGBT thread too. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of your posts and I read your Wuxia stuff quite a bit to gain context and expand my horizons, but I like your political posts best.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:51 am

Unsure if this is exactly unpopular but I feel like if the Cell Saga were written today? It would get raked over the coals critically. A super badass from the future shows up and he's the result of a chosen-out-of-a-hat crack pairing! Random robots stronger than planet-destroying aliens somehow! Our new villain has all the awesome powers of literally everyone, doughnut steal this original character! Was this written by acclaimed mangaka Akira Toriyama, or SooperDooperBrolySplosionXXX666 on Fanfiction.net?

I sometimes think about why it even works as well as it does even accounting for all this. I'm not sure I have a satisfactory answer.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:22 am

Ian Corlett> Peter Kelamis>Sean Schemmel

Yamucha becoming the show's punching bag meme is nothing to get upset over.

Tien, Chioutzu, Piccolo, and Yamucha should have stayed dead at the end of the Vegeta saga.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Ian Corlett> Peter Kelamis>Sean Schemmel

Yamucha becoming the show's punching bag meme is nothing to get upset over.

Tien, Chioutzu, Piccolo, and Yamucha should have stayed dead at the end of the Vegeta saga.
Someone on this forum would be pissed at you for saying that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:17 am

I wish Goku and Vegeta wouldn't need to become SSJ 1-3 after becoming SSJ God.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 am

coola wrote:I wish Goku and Vegeta wouldn't need to become SSJ 1-3 after becoming SSJ God.
The forms are too iconic to just let them go like that
Get Fucked, C_unt

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:55 am

I'm not a big fan Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell in Kai and nowadays. I know its due to age but his voice is just grating to me. He sounds like Plankton to me.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie