Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Logania » Mon May 07, 2018 5:04 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Logania wrote:Thats just fan canon that people say to try and save Goku's image on the subject. Even in the manga, Goku flat out admits he doesn't kiss Chi-Chi. It's not a subtle joke on miscommunication.
And that's unpopular because...?
It was a response to the post above mine.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 am

I prefer Toriyama's skinny design of Ultra Instinct over Yamamuro's muscular one. I don't mind how Yamamuro changed certain characters to be more muscular (like Hit and Blue Goku/Vegeta), but I think Ultra Instinct being skinny would be more fitting with the general idea of the form. It would also be a nice contrast to Jiren who's very big and beefy.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 am

Khin wrote:I prefer Toriyama's skinny design of Ultra Instinct over Yamamuro's muscular one. I don't mind how Yamamuro changed certain characters to be more muscular (like Hit and Blue Goku/Vegeta), but I think Ultra Instinct being skinny would be more fitting with the general idea of the form. It would also be a nice contrast to Jiren who's very big and beefy.
The main reason people hate that design is because it's SSG recolored. I bet that if that wasn't the case, more people would dig it too.
Get Fucked, C_unt

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:50 pm

I believe Gohan "fans", FUNi fanboys, Chi-Chi haters, and Yamcha haters represent the worst of the entire fandom (all in that order) and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I believe Gohan "fans", FUNi fanboys, Chi-Chi haters, and Yamcha haters represent the worst of the entire fandom (all in that order) and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise.
What's wrong with disliking Chichi?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:57 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I believe Gohan "fans", FUNi fanboys, Chi-Chi haters, and Yamcha haters represent the worst of the entire fandom (all in that order) and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise.
I'll second that question. She's one of the more easily unlikable characters in the series in my opinion. The filler of her yelling at television sets in several episodes don't help with that either. And this isn't coming from a FUNi fanboy.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Nothing, but fabricating things and creating a narrative is wrong which the haters have a history of doing.

Are you telling me they're completely justified in what they say and do?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Nothing, but fabricating things and creating a narrative is wrong which the haters have a history of doing.

Same thing applies to fans. They will make up stuff in defense of the things they like.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:What's wrong with disliking Chichi?

Same thing applies to fans. They will make up stuff in defense of the things they like.
Not exactly. Usually both sides would just see things from different perspectives but in the case of the Chi-Chi haters I've talked to, they are world-class bullshitters:

Chi-Chi tricked/forced/blackmailed/manipulated Goku into marriage

All because he believed a "bride" was food... even though as far as the story's concerned, Chi-Chi was unaware of this. This also. makes it sound like Goku had no choice on the matter even though he clearly did... Gyumao offered her "hand" as an award and he accepted on the basis that Gyumao gave it to him.

Goku should have married Bulma because she "understands" him and would let him train by himself

Ignoring the fact Bulma hated it when Yamcha did the same thing and I like to see them cite a moment where Chi-Chi did get on Goku's case about him going off to train... oh wait, they can't.

Chi-Chi uses her family for money

I remember a DB YouTuber literally accusing Chi-Chi of marrying Goku for money even though that wasn't a concern at all druing the time and Goku doesn't claim his winnings from the tournament. I've also seen haters claim Gohan studying is all about him earning money so she can mooch off him when he become successful yet she never received a single cent from Gohan or Videl even as far as Super and she hardly mentions money as a reason for wanting him to get an education. There's even some accusation that she only trained Goten so she can earn more money from participating at tournaments when the Tenkaichi Budokai was still a smoking crater as far as she knew. I've seen people claim she was a gold-digger because she was excited after learning the Tenkaichi Budokai was offering a 100 mill zeni prize because the fortune her father left them with was near-gone.

Furthermore, Chi-Chi never expressed desire to live in luxury or of higher class so the idea of her being a gold-digger, money-hungry, etc. is stupid.

The closest to an actual scene of any reference to this bogus claim is her change of attitude towards Videl after learning she was rich, citing her "hostility" to her when they first met... but this is the girl who blackmailed Gohan into teaching her how to fly so for all we know, she likely was the hostile one and it robbed Chi-Chi the wrong way. Besides, she offered her lunch like she was part of the family before learning she was rich so it's not like there was any bad blood between them.

Aside from these ridiculous beliefs, they generally act pretty obnoxious and it's made even worse that they get defended in all this.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 am

Maybe not in the case of Chi-chi specifically, but I've seen people who are fans of characters create BS in defense of their favorites.

That aside, I just don't like Chichi. I don't think she adds anything to the story beyond birthing Gohan. I never saw any moments that were supposed to be humorous that actually made me laugh or at least chuckle. Her relationship with Goku isn't exactly romantic. It's not even Sam and Diane because at least they were entertaining. Then there's the whole tiger mom thing. I simply don't find her character appealing.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Despite how short it was, I find Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu fight more memorable than Vegetto vs Buuhan.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:37 pm

As far as the hate for Chi-Chi is concerned, I think most of it comes from the way that she’s portrayed in filler. Toei does not have a good track record when it comes to characters like her or the Muten Roshi.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote:As far as the hate for Chi-Chi is concerned, I think most of it comes from the way that she’s portrayed in filler. Toei does not have a good track record when it comes to characters like her or the Muten Roshi.
This is true and I have adjusted my opinion of her over time taking that into account. However, even without filler, I'm not overly fond of her.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Nothing, but fabricating things and creating a narrative is wrong which the haters have a history of doing.

Not exactly. Usually both sides would just see things from different perspectives but in the case of the Chi-Chi haters I've talked to, they are world-class bullshitters:

Chi-Chi tricked/forced/blackmailed/manipulated Goku into marriage

All because he believed a "bride" was food... even though as far as the story's concerned, Chi-Chi was unaware of this. This also. makes it sound like Goku had no choice on the matter even though he clearly did... Gyumao offered her "hand" as an award and he accepted on the basis that Gyumao gave it to him.

Goku should have married Bulma because she "understands" him and would let him train by himself

Ignoring the fact Bulma hated it when Yamcha did the same thing and I like to see them cite a moment where Chi-Chi did get on Goku's case about him going off to train... oh wait, they can't.

Chi-Chi uses her family for money

I remember a DB YouTuber literally accusing Chi-Chi of marrying Goku for money even though that wasn't a concern at all druing the time and Goku doesn't claim his winnings from the tournament. I've also seen haters claim Gohan studying is all about him earning money so she can mooch off him when he become successful yet she never received a single cent from Gohan or Videl even as far as Super and she hardly mentions money as a reason for wanting him to get an education. There's even some accusation that she only trained Goten so she can earn more money from participating at tournaments when the Tenkaichi Budokai was still a smoking crater as far as she knew. I've seen people claim she was a gold-digger because she was excited after learning the Tenkaichi Budokai was offering a 100 mill zeni prize because the fortune her father left them with was near-gone.

Furthermore, Chi-Chi never expressed desire to live in luxury or of higher class so the idea of her being a gold-digger, money-hungry, etc. is stupid.

The closest to an actual scene of any reference to this bogus claim is her change of attitude towards Videl after learning she was rich, citing her "hostility" to her when they first met... but this is the girl who blackmailed Gohan into teaching her how to fly so for all we know, she likely was the hostile one and it robbed Chi-Chi the wrong way. Besides, she offered her lunch like she was part of the family before learning she was rich so it's not like there was any bad blood between them.

Aside from these ridiculous beliefs, they generally act pretty obnoxious and it's made even worse that they get defended in all this.
I love that you want to defend Chichi, but you should instead cite Goku's reaction and decision on the Budokai Tenkaichi. He made a promise and decided all on his own to honor it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 am

I think DBS is just as high quality as DB and DBZ and it is a legitimate sequel.

This appears to be unpopular for some reason

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 am

PFM18 wrote:I think DBS is just as high quality as DB and DBZ and it is a legitimate sequel.

I agree with you. I think that it seems that the majority hates it because the ones who like it are tired of arguing non stop without getting anything out of it, so they just shut up.
Last edited by Vegeta_Sama on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Get Fucked, C_unt

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I think DBS is just as high quality as DB and DBZ and it is a legitimate sequel.

I agee without you. I think that it seems that the majority hates it because the ones who like it are tired of arguing non stop without getting anything out of it, so they just shut up.
don't you mean that you agree....with me? not "without" me?

But yeah I have watched/rewatched all 3 in the last year and I think I enjoyed DBZ the least of the three tbh. (this one is DEFINITELY an unpopular opinion)

I would watch DB episodes in between 2-3 hour study sessions and I REALLY looked forward to those I think much more so than I did for when I did the same for DBZ.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

PFM18 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:

I agee without you. I think that it seems that the majority hates it because the ones who like it are tired of arguing non stop without getting anything out of it, so they just shut up.
don't you mean that you agree....with me? not "without" me?

But yeah I have watched/rewatched all 3 in the last year and I think I enjoyed DBZ the least of the three tbh. (this one is DEFINITELY an unpopular opinion)

I would watch DB episodes in between 2-3 hour study sessions and I REALLY looked forward to those I think much more so than I did for when I did the same for DBZ.
Oh yeah, I meant to write with, it's just my stupid autocorrect fucking up :lol:
EDIT: Damn, I even forgot the r in "agree". This really isn't my day xD I swear I know english :lol:
Get Fucked, C_unt

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: I love that you want to defend Chichi, but you should instead cite Goku's reaction and decision on the Budokai Tenkaichi. He made a promise and decided all on his own to honor it.
Yeah, that too. I honestly can't see how people still act like Goku was a victim in the situation.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 pm

So it's not so much people who have a problem with Chichi that you take issue with, it's the type of arguments you have an issue with.