Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:53 am

@sintzu

I'm good enough with the plotholes already, not really longing for more retconning and such personally lol

Ps. Your quoting of my post is messy I understand you wanted to address specific points but you make me say something I didn't in the last part lol

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It was no different. Goku left his friends and family again only difference is GT tried to make it all melodramatic and mysterious. The fact that we still don't know what exactly happened to Goku at the end of GT shows it wasn't a definitive ending and as much as an open ending as EoZ.
No, despite its quality, GT indeed felt as a true ending. Goku gone for good with Shenron. Is not like he could visit his family with his Instant Transmission after a whole day training with Oob, he became some kind of entity, 100 years have passed and no one ever saw him again, everything was left to his great-great-great-great-grandson.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 pm

I dislike Vegeta. I really dislike Vegeta, and not just because he pulled my arms off.

(Srsly, I think the character is annoying and his rivalry with Goku is stale as Hell. I don't "love to hate" him; he gets X-Pac Heat from me and I wish he'd go away.)
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 pm

I can’t remember if I said this a few years ago or not, but I think Duncan Brannan’s Babidi is better than Joji Yanami’s version. It’s honestly one of the only dub voices that I unquestionably prefer over the original. Yanami wasn’t bad in the role, but I really feel like Brannan did a better job of capturing what an evil and cowardly bastard Babidi is. Him and Rick Robertson were some of the best parts of the dub of the Buu arc.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Don't you mean to include Dragon Ball Super in there too? Or does it not fall under that category?
i am clearly referring to Original Canon shows not GT or Super.
But Super is canon mate lol
the real Canon ended after 1996 with the end of Boo arc. Super isn't written by Toyotaro and no matter how many ideas Toriyama gives in it, unless he isn't writing the manga himself it cannot be considered Toriyama Canon. it's just that Toyotaro is writing the manga which is supposed to fill the 10 year gap after defeat of Boo to end of Z and maybe expand on the material further. but my point is about the original 519 chapters of manga.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:49 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: i am clearly referring to Original Canon shows not GT or Super.
the real Canon ended after 1996 with the end of Boo arc. Super isn't written by Toyotaro and no matter how many ideas Toriyama gives in it, unless he isn't writing the manga himself it cannot be considered Toriyama Canon. it's just that Toyotaro is writing the manga which is supposed to fill the 10 year gap after defeat of Boo to end of Z and maybe expand on the material further. but my point is about the original 519 chapters of manga.
Ok but the anime and manga are still both his story.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Hell, as far as canon goes, I'm perfectly happy not to recognize material that Toriyama's had a direct hand in when it's awful - like Dragonball Minus. Just terrible. Consequently, the TV Special is still "my" canon.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
no they are not, the original ideas of BoG and many things in Super aren't even his original ideas but he adds things up but it's Toei most of the time who comes up with these ideas.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: the real Canon ended after 1996 with the end of Boo arc. Super isn't written by Toyotaro and no matter how many ideas Toriyama gives in it, unless he isn't writing the manga himself it cannot be considered Toriyama Canon. it's just that Toyotaro is writing the manga which is supposed to fill the 10 year gap after defeat of Boo to end of Z and maybe expand on the material further. but my point is about the original 519 chapters of manga.
no they are not, the original ideas of BoG and many things in Super aren't even his original ideas but he adds things up but it's Toei most of the time who comes up with these ideas.
The entire central story of DBS is Toriyama's. Toei and Toyotaro fill in the gaps in the anime and manga respectively. They also propose ideas that are approved or declined by himself. These idea proposals are no different than his editor's proposing his ideas when he wrote the original manga.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:16 am

PFM18 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Ok but the anime and manga are still both his story.
The entire central story of DBS is Toriyama's. Toei and Toyotaro fill in the gaps in the anime and manga respectively. They also propose ideas that are approved or declined by himself. These idea proposals are no different than his editor's proposing his ideas when he wrote the original manga.
still its not drawn by Toriyama just like Boruto isn't drawn by Kishimoto. many things were added by Toei and weren't in Toriyama's original script too, actually it's the Toei staff which gives Toriyama the idea and then he comes up with plot points then they implement it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:16 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: no they are not, the original ideas of BoG and many things in Super aren't even his original ideas but he adds things up but it's Toei most of the time who comes up with these ideas.
still its not drawn by Toriyama just like Boruto isn't drawn by Kishimoto. many things were added by Toei and weren't in Toriyama's original script too, actually it's the Toei staff which gives Toriyama the idea and then he comes up with plot points then they implement it.
Whether or not he draws it is irrelevant. Everything in DBS is either written by Toriyama or approved by Toriyama. Sure Toei comes up with ideas but Toriyama either approves it, modifies it, or just outright declines it altogetherm. Either way it all goes through him and it is canon whether you like it or not

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Whether or not he draws it is irrelevant. Everything in DBS is either written by Toriyama or approved by Toriyama. Sure Toei comes up with ideas but Toriyama either approves it, modifies it, or just outright declines it altogetherm. Either way it all goes through him and it is canon whether you like it or not
tell me last time Toei or Toriyama implied what is Canon and what is not?

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Ripper 30 wrote: the real Canon ended after 1996 with the end of Boo arc. Super isn't written by Toyotaro and no matter how many ideas Toriyama gives in it, unless he isn't writing the manga himself it cannot be considered Toriyama Canon. it's just that Toyotaro is writing the manga which is supposed to fill the 10 year gap after defeat of Boo to end of Z and maybe expand on the material further. but my point is about the original 519 chapters of manga.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Toriyama writes the overall scenario and develops the basic story he wants to advance in his own way, BoG is canon and Super starts with a retelling of it lol
In other words, both the manga and the anime come directly from Toriyama's notes how does that not make it canon mate lol

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

I feel like Peter Kelamis is an overrated Goku. I just don't see all the praise he gets sometimes
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:28 pm

The Patrolman wrote:I feel like Peter Kelamis is an overrated Goku. I just don't see all the praise he gets sometimes
I think it’s primairly his performance in the Pioneer dubs of the movies that he gets praised for. As far as his performance in the series itself is concerned, he never really had an opportunity to showcase much of anything, given that not only was he brought in as a replacement, but he himself got replaced twice. He gets points for the fact that his screams can sometimes sound like Nozawa’s, though.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:tell me last time Toei or Toriyama implied what is Canon and what is not?
This subject is quite controversial, I myself consider Super canon to the manga, but I believe this is optional and people can enjoy the story taking as part of the main continuity or not.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:tell me last time Toei or Toriyama implied what is Canon and what is not?
This subject is quite controversial, I myself consider Super canon to the manga, but I believe this is optional and people can enjoy the story taking as part of the main continuity or not.
That just begs the question of which version of Super we’re talking about, though. I imagine some would probably argue that Toyatoro’s version is canon to the original manga, while Toei’s version is canon to the anime, but the latter can’t be the case either, given that the series contradicts the old Toei anime shows in a number of ways.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:45 am

Guys, Super IS canon, what is up in the air is whether you chose to follow the manga or the anime lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:47 am

WittyUsername wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:I feel like Peter Kelamis is an overrated Goku. I just don't see all the praise he gets sometimes
I think it’s primairly his performance in the Pioneer dubs of the movies that he gets praised for. As far as his performance in the series itself is concerned, he never really had an opportunity to showcase much of anything, given that not only was he brought in as a replacement, but he himself got replaced twice. He gets points for the fact that his screams can sometimes sound like Nozawa’s, though.
He was around for 16 episodes. He had plenty of opportunities. How much longer does he need?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 am

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
He was around for 16 episodes. He had plenty of opportunities. How much longer does he need?
He didn’t play Goku for most of the major moments in the series. He didn’t play Goku during his fight with Vegeta or Freeza, for example.