Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I like the Mark Menza opening theme for DBZ that was used for the orange bricks and the movies. It’s not Cha La Head Cha La, but it’s a catchy tune in its own right, and unlike the other openings that FUNimation used, it doesn’t scream “Yeah! Hardcore!”
It's enjoyable on its own, though I don't think it's DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Scott wrote:It was his entrance that did it, i don't think there was a better reveal throughout the whole series.
And Battle Point Unlimited contributed a lot for it.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

ABED wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:I'm pretty excited for the Broly movie and all and with the money that its going to make, I'm SURE Super will be be back for at least one last hurrah. Knowing this though, I Dont want Dragon Ball to continue past where ever that "series" goes. The longer the franchise goes on, the more I start to appreciate how things come and go.

Sure Dragon Ball can be/is written in a way where it could always continue but do we really need to continue? So much about the lore that we've come to know, love and except has changed in the last five years, some for the better.. others.. eehh not so much.

I dont mind Video Games of course but the continuation of the main story past where it goes, next year or when ever we get a new show is what i'm afraid of. I feel like its going in a very DC-Marvel route when it comes to the whole Multiverse thing w/ multiple Goku's etc. Yeah this is mostly a Heroes thing at the moment but again that could always change. Essentially I dont want to be having Pre-crisis/Post crisis Goku discussions happening 15 years from now because Toei or Toriyama decided that they went waay too far off the deep end and decided to Reboot the original 26 volumes of the Manga.. No, No, NO! I dont want that.. Flaws and all I love my Dragon Ball.
I wholeheartedly agree.
I also completely agree with this.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote: You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc.
Quite honestly you disgust me. But this is the unpopular opinions thread so lol.
Sunsetshimmer DEFENDED you and your opinion and THIS is how you repay them? You have no right to insult anyone like this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:26 pm

The Dragon Ball and Dragon Nall Z fillers are worse than the Naruto fillers

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I think Future Gohan's character is more like how Gohan should be instead of how he is now. The personality more specifically.
I would not say this is an unpopular opinion, I'm pretty sure most of us wanted Gohan to be a Future Gohan-type of character. Oh well... :(
Yeah...such a shame. At least we get to see a "what could've been".

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:35 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:The Dragon Ball and Dragon Nall Z fillers are worse than the Naruto fillers
I don't know Dragon Balls fillers didn't make me drop the anime entirely unlike Naruto's did
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:07 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:The Dragon Ball and Dragon Nall Z fillers are worse than the Naruto fillers
I've never watched Naruto and for that reason I'm unable to agree or disagree with you on that, but I'd say that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z both have some great filler moments and episodes, in my opinion. Actually, I consider all the filler in Dragon Ball (pre-Z) very sweet, entertaining and diverse and, for those reasons and also for being rather short, it never gets boring. Goku's training for the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament, for example, is simply lovely in its entirety, with the training for the 23rd WMAT and the "Wedding Dress Saga" following close behind. Colonel Silver's early episodes, Dr. Flappe's episode and Hasky's episodes are also very enjoyable. I always have so much fun watching those episodes: they are such a breath of fresh air in between the main story arcs and a very welcome change of pace.

But that's according to me, of course, and I respect your different opinion. And this is indeed a thread created with the purpose of sharing our own unpopular opinions regarding Dragon Ball, so it's always nice to know what each member has to say. :)

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 am

WittyUsername wrote:I like the Mark Menza opening theme for DBZ that was used for the orange bricks and the movies. It’s not Cha La Head Cha La, but it’s a catchy tune in its own right, and unlike the other openings that FUNimation used, it doesn’t scream “Yeah! Hardcore!”
i low-key like it too. there is something about it which is just different from the loud Hardcore dub opening and the guitar sounds in that Opening were pretty nice to hear.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:00 pm

At least DBs filler wasn’t flashbacks to random slice of life in the middle of the final arc

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Monna wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote: You don't know who Monna is? Did you not watch DBS episode 112? I could understand if you are strictly a dub watcher.
I skipped most of ToP since it was boring as hell and full of characters i don't even care about because everyone knew that beside U6 and U11 there was no universe that matters. Manga version is the one i will finish since it seems a lot better, but i don't think i will ever watch anime version of this arc.
Quite honestly you disgust me. But this is the unpopular opinions thread so lol.
I'd tone down on the attitude if I were you, because you're not on YouTube or wherever you come from anymore, you're on a forum with rules that enforces courtesy and open-mindedness. You'll just end up getting banned at this rate for breaking rule #4.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
At least DBs filler wasn’t flashbacks to random slice of life in the middle of the final arc
no, he's not much wrong. Dragon Ball fillers can create inconsistency issues and plotholes and are at times impossible to separate from Canon episodes whereas Naruto fillers are self contained story and can be skipped and don't create plotholes. i like the approach of Naruto episodes since Canon and non Canon can be separated.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:13 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote:ToP (anime version only) is the best arc in the entire series.
It isn't that unpopular opinion, I saw plenty of people saying that although obviously arc is overhyped right now because it's new. I mean when Future Trunks saga was airing everyone was putting it on first place, but now it isn't even on 2nd place, sometimes not even in top 5.

More unpopular opinion is that ToP is the worst arc in entire series (that's what i actually think), although it isn't that much unpopular either. It's a bit controversial arc and it's either loved or hated from what i saw.
I think the Tournament of Power and is alright. There's nothing that really aggrevates me about it but at the same time it doesn't advance the story in any meaningful way.... well I guess we'll see how Freeza's third chance at life goes. It's just kind of there. It also drags... a lot, but I suppose they were making fun of the 5 minutes on Namek so that was quite the treat for longtime fans.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Monna wrote:ToP (anime version only) is the best arc in the entire series.
It isn't that unpopular opinion, I saw plenty of people saying that although obviously arc is overhyped right now because it's new. I mean when Future Trunks saga was airing everyone was putting it on first place, but now it isn't even on 2nd place, sometimes not even in top 5.

More unpopular opinion is that ToP is the worst arc in entire series (that's what i actually think), although it isn't that much unpopular either. It's a bit controversial arc and it's either loved or hated from what i saw.
I think the Tournament of Power and is alright. There's nothing that really aggrevates me about it but at the same time it doesn't advance the story in any meaningful way.... well I guess we'll see how Freeza's third chance at life goes. It's just kind of there. It also drags... a lot, but I suppose they were making fun of the 5 minutes on Namek so that was quite the treat for longtime fans.
I think anime version is really awful but i actually quite enjoy manga version. Execution is much more entertaining to me than what anime did. I've had some fun reading it while watching anime was mostly painful.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Not sure if this comes off as opinion more like an observation BUT despite me not being really affected by Trunks finishing off Zamasu in the anime (Though there should have been WAY more emphasis on Vegetto breaking him down.) .

People keep viewing the Spirit Sword thing as Trunks "doing it out of no where". Thats Really not the case.. He didnt ask for the energy to be gathered ala Spirit Bomb. It was kinda just something that happened on its own through everyone's "Will to Survive" and Faith in Trunks to finish the battle. Trunks took advantage of the gathered energy and thus the Super Sword happened. Absorbing other's energy through concentration isn't exclusive to Goku, that's something anyone who's a main fighter could do should the situation require it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm

I don’t like the Freezer arc
GT Fighter

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:50 pm

SSBE is one of my favorite transformations in the franchise

The ToP is a top 3 arc in the franchise

Buu is the worst antagonist in the franchise other than Old Broly.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm

PFM18 wrote:SSBE is one of my favorite transformations in the franchise

Where do you rank the future trunks arc?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:19 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
PFM18 wrote:SSBE is one of my favorite transformations in the franchise

Where do you rank the future trunks arc?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:52 pm

ChiChi is better character than Bulma
ChiChi is hotter than Bulma (except for maybe GT and Super where i can see Bulma being slightly hotter)

And this has to be best ChiChi's appearance ever:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta