Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Noah wrote:I prefer Coola than Freeza, people say they have the same personality, but I see him as more rigorous than his brother.
I agree I think Friezer is overrated
GT Fighter

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:46 am

1345521 wrote:I find GT better then Supers manga and anime
Z is better the. Super is every positive category I can think of
OG English dub is way way better then Kai dub
SUPER 17 was an cool character
Goku black and zamsu are underrated in the manga and astronomically overrated in the anime
I consider some of db multiverse ideas to be better then the show (IE gokus mom)
I think multiverse is better then GT, super manga and super anime
I like ssj4 gogeta much more the. Ssj gogeta
Ssj4 is the best transformation in dragon ball history
I liked absolutely no one in the dbs anime and cared little about anyone of them whil I enjoyed characters like Kale, hit, goku while also finding goku black and merged zamsu interesting in the manga
Dragon ball is overrated
Modern Dragon Ball is mostly about adding Fake Depth to the characters who already have their arcs concluded in Original manga. like seriously? Android 16 being modelled after Gero's own Son who died in a war is required? Gine and Bardock being soft and caring is required?. also, in Terms of Substance DB, Z and GT are far better than "Cool concepts" thing we are seeing in DBS or Multiverse. Back when i didn't knew what Canon or Non Canon is, I used to believe that GT was an official Continuation of Z and still never found it jarring, that's how fitting GT was as a final series.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am

-As a GT Fan:i actually like the way GT is so controversial & so mixed minded it makes the series somehow more interesting to me
GT Fighter

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:39 pm

wow, everytime I read here I'm relieved this is the unpopular opinions thread lol :mrgreen:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:01 pm

shadowmaria wrote:GT is better than Super
Why?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Even though I find that view to be particularly insane, i dont think it is really that unpopular. Waaman polled his subscribers and it came out to be something like 25/75 in favor of Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:43 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Even though I find that view to be particularly insane, i dont think it is really that unpopular. Waaman polled his subscribers and it came out to be something like 25/75 in favor of Super.
There's such a thing as recency bias. As a rule, I tend not to trust polls.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 pm

ABED wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
There's such a thing as recency bias. As a rule, I tend not to trust polls.
Are you saying that things actually fall further in Super's favor or GT's favor?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Recency bias in this case means the people being polled are voting for Super in part because it's new and shiny.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:18 am

1345521 wrote:Dragon ball is overrated
:shock:

Are you referring to OG Dragon Ball here or the franchise as a whole?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

Og

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:42 am

1345521 wrote:

Og
Why do you think it's overrated?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am

ABED wrote:
1345521 wrote:

Og
I mean, it's good for what it is. But people treat it as holy grail that Z and other db continuities have defiled. Idk, that's why it's overrated.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am

I don't think that's the case at all. If anything it's vastly underrated because FAR too many people skip over it and never even watch it. There have been some on this very forum that are seem hell bent on never watching it. There are also too many misconceptions about it, like the feel of the show is mostly like the first arc. And much of that has to do with the artificial separation of DB and DBZ. Instead of seeing Z as the next part of the story (as it was in the manga) people see it as its own series and the previous series as optional.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:25 pm

I think that while the storylines in the game are not canon, that doesn't mean that the feats in the games can't be possible.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

ABED wrote: And much of that has to do with the artificial separation of DB and DBZ. Instead of seeing Z as the next part of the story (as it was in the manga) people see it as its own series and the previous series as optional.
Which is pretty odd considering Z includes DB flashbacks a few times lol

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 pm

1345521 wrote:
ABED wrote:
1345521 wrote: Og
I mean, it's good for what it is. But people treat it as holy grail that Z and other db continuities have defiled. Idk, that's why it's overrated.
it can be overrated when fans at times say it is the only worth watching series in the franchise and after that it's all mindless plot with aliens and beams. also, the misconception that from Z onwards there was no martial arts and it was all about screaming, stupid transformations and no real development, that's when i feel people are massively under playing Z part.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Aman

Post by Aman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am

- Super was all round garbage and if it weren't for nostalgia and DB's success, it would have flopped.

- The Goku-Vegeta rivalry is overrated, Naruto-Sasuke, Deku-Bakugo-Shoto are far better.

- Super was the worst series for Goku and Vegeta character wise.

-SSB and SSG are by far the worst and weakest transformations of the entire series. Even as a big Gohan fan, I don't care if he gets it or not. IMO mystic is better, even though it's far weaker.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 am

Android 19, my namesake, is incredibly underrated.

Yes, I know he doesn't get much to do. He's completely subservient to Gero, then gets smoked by Vegeta for no reason other than to build up his Super Saiyan transformation.

But from a character design perspective he's probably the best thing to come out of the Android arc. He taps into one of the universal phobias of mankind - the fear of clowns. And he shares with Freeza an appearance which belies the depths of his power. Moreover, it's a rare case where the Funi dub improves on the source material, in this case the synthetic voice filter that works so well.

I've actually always kind of resented the retcon introduction of 17 and 18, because I've always been curious about Toriyama's original plans for 19 and 20. It's difficult to believe they'd have been fodderized so quickly in a world where the twins were never introduced. I feel like 19's visual design could have become iconic had he been given more of a chance in the storyline to be an actual threat, rather than as a red herring switched out at the last minute for characters I don't find visually as interesting.

I'd love to see 19 and 20 brought back (and done well, unlike in GT). Unlike Freeza I didn't get my fill of them when their arc in Z was first airing. I think 19 is a prime candidate for the Super 17 treatment, being fully mechanical.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.