Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
ABED wrote:We couldn't have been watching the same movies because I did watch with the dub with the subtitles of the original on and the dialog is VERY close.

I don't know what your specific issue is with Klassen, but besides Kelamis obviously, what other performances are awkward?
I meant that the Ocean dub had a great script while Funi's Movie 3 script was pretty bad.

I just found that a lot of the performances, especially Klassen since he's so ubiquitous, sound very strange and nasally, and there's this unnaturalness in the way everybody speaks, like they're clearly reading lines. Chi-Chi's another one that just sounded awkward in 99% of her lines. I think that could be chalked up to ADR/Direction more than anything, but who knows.
Still don't agree about the performances. There's a slightly exaggerated cartoon quality to it, but that's appropriate given that it's DB. The only two bad performance offhand I can think of are Muten Roshi and Tenshinhan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm

How is Ward Perry's Dr. Wheelo nasally?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:How is Ward Perry's Dr. Wheelo nasally?
I didn't say every performance was nasally
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm

ABED wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
ABED wrote:We couldn't have been watching the same movies because I did watch with the dub with the subtitles of the original on and the dialog is VERY close.

I don't know what your specific issue is with Klassen, but besides Kelamis obviously, what other performances are awkward?
I meant that the Ocean dub had a great script while Funi's Movie 3 script was pretty bad.

I just found that a lot of the performances, especially Klassen since he's so ubiquitous, sound very strange and nasally, and there's this unnaturalness in the way everybody speaks, like they're clearly reading lines. Chi-Chi's another one that just sounded awkward in 99% of her lines. I think that could be chalked up to ADR/Direction more than anything, but who knows.
Still don't agree about the performances. There's a slightly exaggerated cartoon quality to it, but that's appropriate given that it's DB. The only two bad performance offhand I can think of are Muten Roshi and Tenshinhan.
As far as the series itself is concerned, I think people have a tendency to overblow the quality of the acting. Sure, the Ocean voice cast was much more experienced than what the in-house actors started off as, but I still don’t think they were any better than your typical 90s Saturday morning cartoon performances. Then again, I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t care for Batman Beyond, so what do I know?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I never said the practice of silly voices didn’t get carried over to the in-house dub. My point was that the practice of having ridiculous voices in a Dragon Ball dub didn’t start in 1999. I just don’t think the change from the Ocean cast to the in-house cast was as big of a downgrade as people make it out to be. Sure, it was a downgrade to an extent, but not as much as people act like. Mind you, I don’t care much for Ocean productions in general. I wasn’t entirely crazy about Beast Wars, I hated X-Men: Evolution, My Little Pony is a joke, and the only actor who I think did a truly amazing job in ReBoot was Tony Jay.

I’m not saying they’re bad actors or anything, but the problem with Ocean productions is that a good chunk of them are Saturday morning cartoons from Canada that, as far as I know, are a cheaper alternative to using LA voice actors. I hear a lot of praise for the dubs of Death Note and Black Lagoon, and I’m sure those dubs are pretty great, but those are also shows that are much more mature than most of the other works done with the Ocean group. As a whole, the Ocean group just seems like they’ve been used for a lot of low tier cartoons.

Frankly, I never understood the praise for voices such as Brian Drummond’s Vegeta. To me, he makes Vegeta sound like a one-note bad guy. Sure, his screams were pretty good, but the voice as a whole just doesn’t fit Vegeta, in my opinion. It really seems like the main thing his Vegeta voice is remembered for is giving us a meme. I’ll take Chris Sabat’s current voice for Vegeta over him.

I’m still interested in seeing how the Ocean dub of Kai turns out, but I can’t imagine it really topping FUNimation’s dub, especially if they’re using a replacement score.
Can't wait for you to say that the Death Note and Black Lagoon dubs aren't that great, if you ever watch them of course.

Oh, and I remember you saying that the voice acting in Beast Wars gets too over-the-top for its good. I pity you for not appreciating over-the-top performances. I guess you're one of those people who loves monotonous voice acting performances.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing you'll ever like the Ocean dub of Kai even if it didn't have a replacement score.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sure, there were some characters that sounded absolutely ridiculous in the Saban dub, but even that practice was carried over to the in-house dub. McFarland's Roshi, Hebert's Ox-King, Schemmel's King Kai and Sabat's Recoome come to mind as characters who sound absolutely ridiculous, unless McFarland in real life sounds like a moron who can't never sound serious when in a serious moment. Seriously, I'll never get the praise McFarland gets as Master Roshi. Being able to handle comedic moments means absolutely nothing if you are unable to sound serious when delivering serious moments or badass when it comes to that Kamehameha delivery in one of the episodes of the Emperor Pilaf Saga.

And if you ask me, yes, it was a big downgrade changing from the Ocean cast to the in-house cast. It felt like a big slap to the series that was originally recorded by professional voice actors from Japan for only to have it being recorded in English by a bunch of unexperienced guys in Texas. I'm not saying that DBZ needed to be recorded by Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and Marlon Brando, but it just needed to be recorded by people who knew what the fuck they were doing.

If there's one thing that I'll give the in-house cast is praise for finally giving us a respectable dub with Kai. It's just a damn shame that we had to wait eleven long years for them to show us that they indeed could rise to a level beyond mediocrity. Oh, and I'll give them credit for Rick Robertson, Kyle Hebert, Dameon Clarke, Kent Williams, Chuck Huber, Kara Edwards, Andrew Chandler, Chris Rager and Duncan Brannan.

I guess them taking eleven long years to give us a tolerable dub is another reason why I can't never go back to watching their stuff. It's like: "Oh, they can finally act now. ", even though they should have learned how to act a long time ago.
I never said the practice of silly voices didn’t get carried over to the in-house dub. My point was that the practice of having ridiculous voices in a Dragon Ball dub didn’t start in 1999. I just don’t think the change from the Ocean cast to the in-house cast was as big of a downgrade as people make it out to be. Sure, it was a downgrade to an extent, but not as much as people act like. Mind you, I don’t care much for Ocean productions in general. I wasn’t entirely crazy about Beast Wars, I hated X-Men: Evolution, My Little Pony is a joke, and the only actor who I think did a truly amazing job in ReBoot was Tony Jay.

I’m not saying they’re bad actors or anything, but the problem with Ocean productions is that a good chunk of them are Saturday morning cartoons from Canada that, as far as I know, are a cheaper alternative to using LA voice actors. I hear a lot of praise for the dubs of Death Note and Black Lagoon, and I’m sure those dubs are pretty great, but those are also shows that are much more mature than most of the other works done with the Ocean group. As a whole, the Ocean group just seems like they’ve been used for a lot of low tier cartoons.

Frankly, I never understood the praise for voices such as Brian Drummond’s Vegeta. To me, he makes Vegeta sound like a one-note bad guy. Sure, his screams were pretty good, but the voice as a whole just doesn’t fit Vegeta, in my opinion. It really seems like the main thing his Vegeta voice is remembered for is giving us a meme. I’ll take Chris Sabat’s current voice for Vegeta over him.

I’m still interested in seeing how the Ocean dub of Kai turns out, but I can’t imagine it really topping FUNimation’s dub, especially if they’re using a replacement score.
Can't wait for you to say that the Death Note and Black Lagoon dubs aren't that great, if you ever watch them of course.

Oh, and I remember you saying that the voice acting in Beast Wars gets too over-the-top for its good. I pity you for not appreciating over-the-top performances. I guess you're one of those people who loves monotonous voice acting performances.
The performances in Beast Wars were pretty over the top. They weren’t terrible, but virtually everyone seemed like they were hamming it up 90% of the time, which doesn’t really work for me. I’m fine with having some occasionally hammy performances, but not when every character is doing it. It doesn’t help that the actors were forced to say stupid lines like “ultra gear” and “that’s just prime”. I also don’t buy the argument that they should sound like that just because Transformers is a toy commercial. The performances in Transformers Prime felt more believable. I will point out that the performances in BW did get better over time, though.

Anyway, I’ve already said that I’m not trying to insult the acting capabilities of the Ocean voice cast. They all know how to act for sure. I just personally can’t gravitate towards the majority of Ocean productions that I’ve heard, and it probably doesn’t help that most of the Ocean productions that I’ve heard are tacky kid’s cartoons that haven’t really aged well, in my opinion. I just personally prefer my Mark Hamills, Steve Blums and Frank Welkers. That’s just me. If you’re a fan of them, more power to you.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:26 am

Victory Mission is a lot more enjoyable than it has any right to be, and it deserves a collected release.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 am

Cipher wrote:Victory Mission is a lot more enjoyable than it has any right to be, and it deserves a collected release.
It is indeed. I did actually feel like Dragon Ball met Yu-Gi-Oh! while reading it and it was a good experience. I do want Toyotaro back now that his art has improved a lot, Victory Mission would look more appealing and beautiful.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 am

Grimlock wrote:It is indeed. I did actually feel like Dragon Ball met Yu-Gi-Oh! while reading it and it was a good experience. I do want Toyotaro back now that his art has improved a lot, Victory Mission would look more appealing and beautiful.
I started reading it on a whim earlier today, and Toyotaro has successfully propelled me forward into the next chapter multiple times. Even though I have no idea what the actual mechanics of the game they're playing are.

But yeah--especially with Toyotaro's prominence in the overall series now, it'd be nice to see this get some tankobons.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:15 am

It depends on the kind of story you're going for. I don't expect a grounded naturalistic performance in a show that's not grounded and naturalistic.
They all know how to act for sure. I just personally can’t gravitate towards the majority of Ocean productions that I’ve heard, and it probably doesn’t help that most of the Ocean productions that I’ve heard are tacky kid’s cartoons that haven’t really aged well, in my opinion. I just personally prefer my Mark Hamills, Steve Blums and Frank Welkers.
Hamill hams it up BIG TIME.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:51 am

Cipher wrote:Even though I have no idea what the actual mechanics of the game they're playing are.
Considering the time Victory Mission was released, Heroes back then didn't have that many mechanics as it has today, so you may understand easy if you see a couple of videos of GM and JM series on Youtube. You can always ask too, although most of us don't have a way to play it, some can still tell you the mechanics and how it works.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:06 am

ABED wrote:It depends on the kind of story you're going for. I don't expect a grounded naturalistic performance in a show that's not grounded and naturalistic.
They all know how to act for sure. I just personally can’t gravitate towards the majority of Ocean productions that I’ve heard, and it probably doesn’t help that most of the Ocean productions that I’ve heard are tacky kid’s cartoons that haven’t really aged well, in my opinion. I just personally prefer my Mark Hamills, Steve Blums and Frank Welkers.
I mentioned that I don’t mind having some occasionally hammy performances. A character like the Joker is supposed to be hammy. The problem I have with the acting in Beast Wars is that everyone is hamming it up almost all the time.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:It depends on the kind of story you're going for. I don't expect a grounded naturalistic performance in a show that's not grounded and naturalistic.
I mentioned that I don’t mind having some occasionally hammy performances. A character like the Joker is supposed to be hammy. The problem I have with the acting in Beast Wars is that everyone is hamming it up almost all the time.
What's does "hammy" mean? I've seen it brought up on several ocassions when discussing voice acting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am

Hammill's done more roles than The Joker. People calling out the Ocean dub cast for being over the top not only comes across as an exaggeration, it is also makes me wonder if we're watching the same show. DB isn't a naturalistic world. The characters and situations aren't naturalistic. I can't speak for Beast Wars as I haven't seen an episode in 20 years and this isn't a Beast Wars forum.

Hammy means over the top.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm

ABED wrote:Hammill's done more roles than The Joker. People calling out the Ocean dub cast for being over the top not only comes across as an exaggeration, it is also makes me wonder if we're watching the same show. DB isn't a naturalistic world. The characters and situations aren't naturalistic. I can't speak for Beast Wars as I haven't seen an episode in 20 years and this isn't a Beast Wars forum.

As far as DBZ is concerned, I didn’t say that the Ocean voice cast was anymore over the top than the in-house FUNimation voice cast. What I said was that the performances weren’t really any better than the typical 90s Saturday morning cartoon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Hammill's done more roles than The Joker. People calling out the Ocean dub cast for being over the top not only comes across as an exaggeration, it is also makes me wonder if we're watching the same show. DB isn't a naturalistic world. The characters and situations aren't naturalistic. I can't speak for Beast Wars as I haven't seen an episode in 20 years and this isn't a Beast Wars forum.

As far as DBZ is concerned, I didn’t say that the Ocean voice cast was anymore over the top than the in-house FUNimation voice cast. What I said was that the performances weren’t really any better than the typical 90s Saturday morning cartoon.
And I didn't say you said that. All I've said is that many of the voices are fitting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm

It's been quite a while since I've seen a Beast Wars episode, but I don't recall everyone hamming it up all the time. It's an exaggeration by our dear friend Witty.
ABED wrote:Hamill hams it up BIG TIME.
Hell, Frank Welker was quite hammy as Megatron in the G1 cartoon.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaroKami

Post by CaroKami » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:37 pm

I really don't like Bulma being so front-and-center these days when she never really was in the original series. She's always around nowadays and I find it really weird and unnecessary. Seriously, Capsule Corporation is basically a second home to a lot of these characters now since they're always having parties and get-togethers there for...some reason.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:It's been quite a while since I've seen a Beast Wars episode, but I don't recall everyone hamming it up all the time. It's an exaggeration by our dear friend Witty.
That sounds like a vaguely passive agressive remark.

Anyway, I don’t see why what I said should be so controversial, and I don’t understand why you felt the need to bring up some remark I made about an unrelated show over a year ago. I’m just not a fan of Ocean productions. It’s as simple as that.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:It's been quite a while since I've seen a Beast Wars episode, but I don't recall everyone hamming it up all the time. It's an exaggeration by our dear friend Witty.
That sounds like a vaguely passive agressive remark.

Anyway, I don’t see why what I said should be so controversial, and I don’t understand why you felt the need to bring up some remark I made about an unrelated show over a year ago. I’m just not a fan of Ocean productions. It’s as simple as that.
These same people within the past year or so went super deep in some pre-Kai dub hate and failing to accept opinions in favor of it without a twist of biasy associated with it so it's just par for the course for them.

Though it is ironic the tables have turned when it is a dub they find favorable in whatever level they do.