Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kurakaio
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kurakaio » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:24 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:That is unpopular for sure, but...

Chapter 39 of Super is heavily overhated and still much better than what anime gave.

Roshi dodging Jiren was stupid but this was a better way for Goku to taste UI than being blasted by genki dama which was garbage.
Kefla was way too weak (considering how strong Kale was) and should've lasted a bit longer, but at least Gohan got formidable opponent instead of her being destroyed by Goku which was generic and boring.
I don't dislike the manga, I'm very indifferent towards it. There are some things I like and dislike, but I have to say this:

Chapters 38 and 39 are the only chapters so far to make me actually laugh out loud, at how ridiculous it was. I don't hate it persay, but it's VERY clear how rushed this is. If these people think these last 2 chapters were better than the anime, then I'm honestly curious, because at this point the manga can do little wrong at this point.

I'm not trying to hate on those who liked these last 2 chapters, I'm just very confused.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Kurakaio wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:That is unpopular for sure, but...

Chapter 39 of Super is heavily overhated and still much better than what anime gave.

Roshi dodging Jiren was stupid but this was a better way for Goku to taste UI than being blasted by genki dama which was garbage.
Kefla was way too weak (considering how strong Kale was) and should've lasted a bit longer, but at least Gohan got formidable opponent instead of her being destroyed by Goku which was generic and boring.
I don't dislike the manga, I'm very indifferent towards it. There are some things I like and dislike, but I have to say this:

Chapters 38 and 39 are the only chapters so far to make me actually laugh out loud, at how ridiculous it was. I don't hate it persay, but it's VERY clear how rushed this is. If these people think these last 2 chapters were better than the anime, then I'm honestly curious, because at this point the manga can do little wrong at this point.

I'm not trying to hate on those who liked these last 2 chapters, I'm just very confused.
I don't think there was anything wrong with chapter 38. I am totally fine with all the irrelevant universes being erased because i never cared about those character. They were totally forgettable.
But yeah, chapter 39 was rushed. Most of Gohan vs Kefla fight took place somewhere in background, it felt like fights with villains from hell in Super 17 saga.
Basically Gohan vs Rildo.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Kurakaio wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I think it’s more so that “SSJ” is a much more distinctive form of initialism than “SS”.
This is the reason I have always used SSJ instead of SS. When I think of "SS" I think of "SS Anne" or "SS" being used before the names of boats be it fictional boats or real-life boats. I want the abbreviation to be more distinctive than using "SS." It just so happens that the Japanese language gives us a good way of making it distinctive because of the way "Saiyan" is pronounced in that language.
Kurakaio wrote: Dragon Ball Super >= Dragon Ball Z > Dragon Ball GT= Dragon Ball.
I do find this strange, do you mind elaborating? I can understand the DBS>=DBZ thing, I more or less feel the same way except the two switched. I think DBS and DBZ are very similar in quality with DBZ having a slight edge but DB is easily better written and a better story than those two. To put GT and DB as equals is mind boggling to me, because GT to me, is horrendously written and is an embarrassment to the franchise and DB is the best series in the franchise. I would appreciate if you could give some further incite into your viewpoint because I have trouble understanding it.

Also, how can you rank Z when you have very few memories of it?
Dragon Ball was the last series had seen. Yes, I watched GT before I even knew Dragon Ball existed. Dragon Ball was a slog to get through for the most part. The red ribbon army arc, was so boring. It dragged on for what felt like forever. I don't dislike Dragon Ball, but except for the tournaments and the Piccolo saga, I felt it wasn't very good.

In regards to GT, yes it wasn't very good either. The first arc was terrible for the most part. I quite enjoyed the Baby arc though, and... Nuova Shenron and SSJ4 Gogeta were cool too. GT was short enough to where I didn't feel like anything dragged on for too long, barring the first arc. Though the worst was probably Super 17. Not because it was that bad, but because I forget Super 17 even exists 90% of the time. The arc was that short.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of the original Dragon Ball hadn't I seen it earlier, but eh. Some of the jokes are funny, but most are just eh, and since the show up till the Piccolo arc is pretty much solely comedy oriented it didn't help that I didn't find it very funny. Though I do find Super funnier than Dragon Ball ever was so Idk.
Well could you talk about why you have DBS first?

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:59 am

Kurakaio wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I think it’s more so that “SSJ” is a much more distinctive form of initialism than “SS”.
This is the reason I have always used SSJ instead of SS. When I think of "SS" I think of "SS Anne" or "SS" being used before the names of boats be it fictional boats or real-life boats. I want the abbreviation to be more distinctive than using "SS." It just so happens that the Japanese language gives us a good way of making it distinctive because of the way "Saiyan" is pronounced in that language.
Kurakaio wrote: Dragon Ball Super >= Dragon Ball Z > Dragon Ball GT= Dragon Ball.
I do find this strange, do you mind elaborating? I can understand the DBS>=DBZ thing, I more or less feel the same way except the two switched. I think DBS and DBZ are very similar in quality with DBZ having a slight edge but DB is easily better written and a better story than those two. To put GT and DB as equals is mind boggling to me, because GT to me, is horrendously written and is an embarrassment to the franchise and DB is the best series in the franchise. I would appreciate if you could give some further incite into your viewpoint because I have trouble understanding it.

Also, how can you rank Z when you have very few memories of it?
Dragon Ball was the last series had seen. Yes, I watched GT before I even knew Dragon Ball existed. Dragon Ball was a slog to get through for the most part. The red ribbon army arc, was so boring. It dragged on for what felt like forever. I don't dislike Dragon Ball, but except for the tournaments and the Piccolo saga, I felt it wasn't very good.

In regards to GT, yes it wasn't very good either. The first arc was terrible for the most part. I quite enjoyed the Baby arc though, and... Nuova Shenron and SSJ4 Gogeta were cool too. GT was short enough to where I didn't feel like anything dragged on for too long, barring the first arc. Though the worst was probably Super 17. Not because it was that bad, but because I forget Super 17 even exists 90% of the time. The arc was that short.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of the original Dragon Ball hadn't I seen it earlier, but eh. Some of the jokes are funny, but most are just eh, and since the show up till the Piccolo arc is pretty much solely comedy oriented it didn't help that I didn't find it very funny. Though I do find Super funnier than Dragon Ball ever was so Idk.
Dragon ball was a slog to get through?You do realise that you only didn’t like the beginning and only one other arc.RRa is so boring because it has a lot of filler and I am pretty sure you also like baba tournament.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
Kurakaio
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am

Re: Unpopular DB opinion

Post by Kurakaio » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Kurakaio wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
This is the reason I have always used SSJ instead of SS. When I think of "SS" I think of "SS Anne" or "SS" being used before the names of boats be it fictional boats or real-life boats. I want the abbreviation to be more distinctive than using "SS." It just so happens that the Japanese language gives us a good way of making it distinctive because of the way "Saiyan" is pronounced in that language.



I do find this strange, do you mind elaborating? I can understand the DBS>=DBZ thing, I more or less feel the same way except the two switched. I think DBS and DBZ are very similar in quality with DBZ having a slight edge but DB is easily better written and a better story than those two. To put GT and DB as equals is mind boggling to me, because GT to me, is horrendously written and is an embarrassment to the franchise and DB is the best series in the franchise. I would appreciate if you could give some further incite into your viewpoint because I have trouble understanding it.

Also, how can you rank Z when you have very few memories of it?
Dragon Ball was the last series had seen. Yes, I watched GT before I even knew Dragon Ball existed. Dragon Ball was a slog to get through for the most part. The red ribbon army arc, was so boring. It dragged on for what felt like forever. I don't dislike Dragon Ball, but except for the tournaments and the Piccolo saga, I felt it wasn't very good.

In regards to GT, yes it wasn't very good either. The first arc was terrible for the most part. I quite enjoyed the Baby arc though, and... Nuova Shenron and SSJ4 Gogeta were cool too. GT was short enough to where I didn't feel like anything dragged on for too long, barring the first arc. Though the worst was probably Super 17. Not because it was that bad, but because I forget Super 17 even exists 90% of the time. The arc was that short.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of the original Dragon Ball hadn't I seen it earlier, but eh. Some of the jokes are funny, but most are just eh, and since the show up till the Piccolo arc is pretty much solely comedy oriented it didn't help that I didn't find it very funny. Though I do find Super funnier than Dragon Ball ever was so Idk.
Well could you talk about why you have DBS first?
Better pacing, besides the ToP, more moments I enjoyed.

In Z there are plenty of awesome moments, but I'm... not sure how to put it. I constantly go back to rewatch the U6 arc, the Goku black arc, and parts of the ToP, while I only ever really rewatch parts of the buu arc from Z.

It might be a combination of the pacing and the fact that it's newer though.

User avatar
GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:27 pm

I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
GT Fighter

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:11 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
Lol that's definitely unpopular. That game is really bad.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:37 pm

PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
Lol that's definitely unpopular. That game is really bad.
I never played it so i can't say if it's good or not. Gameplay looks a bit boring but it's the best looking DB game so far in my opinion.
Also the giant bosses seem fun, something you don't see in most DB games because giant characters like Oozaru were a lot smaller in games like Budokai Tenkaichi.
Also, it might be the only game where you actually fight against Shenron (except Shadow Dragons but it's obvious)

I don't believe this game can be worse or even comparable to garbage like Battle of Z, Ultimate Battle 22 or Taiketsu.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 pm

PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
Lol that's definitely unpopular. That game is really bad.
Ign: 7,5/10
GT Fighter

User avatar
GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:52 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
Lol that's definitely unpopular. That game is really bad.
I never played it so i can't say if it's good or not. Gameplay looks a bit boring but it's the best looking DB game so far in my opinion.
Also the giant bosses seem fun, something you don't see in most DB games because giant characters like Oozaru were a lot smaller in games like Budokai Tenkaichi.
Also, it might be the only game where you actually fight against Shenron (except Shadow Dragons but it's obvious)

I don't believe this game can be worse or even comparable to garbage like Battle of Z, Ultimate Battle 22 or Taiketsu.
I have never played Battle of Z what is so bad about it?
GT Fighter

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:53 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:I don’t know how unpopular this is but I really like ultimate Tenkaichi
Lol that's definitely unpopular. That game is really bad.
Ign: 7,5/10
That same ign gives call of duty 9 every year so you shouldn't put too much weight behind their opinions. They give UT a 7.5 yet Naruto storm 4 a 5.5, they give XV2 a 7.5 meaning it's as good as UT ?... :sick:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote: Ign: 7,5/10
While i believe UT is a pretty good game, i would never rely on IGN. Reviews at this site are well known meme.
I mean Resident Evil 7 got worse rating than Outlast, so... :lol:
Anyway, i never care about mainstream sites like that. The same goes for Rotten Tomatoes where garbage movies get 70-90 rating and some pretty good movies might get even 20-30 lol.
GT_Goten10 wrote: I have never played Battle of Z what is so bad about it?
Everything. It was nice to see some giant bosses but other than that it was just garbage.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm

The Faulconer score is good and works with the series.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17596
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The Faulconer score is good and works with the series.
Very controversial opinion. But how does it work with DBZ?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The Faulconer score is good and works with the series.
Very controversial opinion. But how does it work with DBZ?
I find it always brings a good sense of intensity to the battles, the speed and loudness of it matching the increasing insanity of every following arc. Sure, a lot of it is just loud rock techno music but I don't feel it out of place. The slower tunes playing outside the battle also enhance the inherent weirdness of the series, especially on Namek with the varied cast of more alien people. Its main issue comes from its intensity, if you want something to sound cool or ominous you're covered but it's not really good for simpler moments where going lower key is better.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 am

Ep 68-76 are my favorite episodes in DBS
GT Fighter

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The Faulconer score is good and works with the series.
Very controversial opinion. But how does it work with DBZ?
I find it always brings a good sense of intensity to the battles, the speed and loudness of it matching the increasing insanity of every following arc. Sure, a lot of it is just loud rock techno music but I don't feel it out of place. The slower tunes playing outside the battle also enhance the inherent weirdness of the series, especially on Namek with the varied cast of more alien people. Its main issue comes from its intensity, if you want something to sound cool or ominous you're covered but it's not really good for simpler moments where going lower key is better.
There are a few things I don't like about this score placement, like not knowing the use of the silence, but I do enjoy a few tracks like SSJ3 transformation, Vegeta and Cell themes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
kudo6000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am

Broly was the most entertaining Dragon Ball villain, second to Black/Zamasu. I'm talking about pre-Super movie, too. That one will be even better, though.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I would've liked a mechanic for the ToP where everyone is on equal power levels.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 pm

kudo6000 wrote:Broly was the most entertaining Dragon Ball villain, second to Black/Zamasu. I'm talking about pre-Super movie, too. That one will be even better, though.
I agree. Personally Broli is my favourite villain and the most entertaining to watch, the second being Cell.

Post Reply