Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Super Saiyan C? Glurg!!!!!!! Why does it have to be so damn convoluted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Whats Super Saiyan C?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:I do not even remotely understand why so many people seem to love Peter Kelamis as Gokū. The most common thing I see brought up is that he impersonates Nozawa's pronunciations of attack names, but I don't think that automatically makes him good for the role. I think he's dreadful from a purely acting standpoint, and I don't think he even remotely has a grasp on Gokū's personality.
For me, it actually is about the personality. The pronunciation thing was never an issue to me. Something just clicks with Kelamis that doesn't with the other English voice actors, and I do feel Nozawa's spirit in it.

I agree, however, that Kelamis' acting isn't too hot. It would have been interesting to see if and how he would have improved if he had stayed on as Goku all the way through.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 pm

ABED wrote:Super Saiyan C? Glurg!!!!!!! Why does it have to be so damn convoluted.
The name bugs you does it?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I guess I’ll go ahead and say that I don’t understand the hate bandwagon that the original Broly movie has gotten for the past 10 or so years. It isn’t my favorite of the original Dragon Ball movies, but it’s hardly one of the worst. It did have an actual story beyond just the fighting, and while Broly certainly wasn’t a particularly complex character, he at least had an interesting backstory (minus the Goku crying thing), and a good dynamic with his father. Also, his movie stood out as one of the more original Dragon Ball films made by Toei.

I would agree that the later Broly movies were pretty lousy, but I don’t think the original deserves the kind of reputation it’s gotten. Do people bash it just because they don’t like Broly?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I guess I’ll go ahead and say that I don’t understand the hate bandwagon that the original Broly movie has gotten for the past 10 or so years. It isn’t my favorite of the original Dragon Ball movies, but it’s hardly one of the worst. It did have an actual story beyond just the fighting, and while Broly certainly wasn’t a particularly complex character, he at least had an interesting backstory (minus the Goku crying thing), and a good dynamic with his father. Also, his movie stood out as one of the more original Dragon Ball films made by Toei.

I would agree that the later Broly movies were pretty lousy, but I don’t think the original deserves the kind of reputation it’s gotten. Do people bash it just because they don’t like Broly?
Maybe or maybe they have another reason.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I guess I’ll go ahead and say that I don’t understand the hate bandwagon that the original Broly movie has gotten for the past 10 or so years. It isn’t my favorite of the original Dragon Ball movies, but it’s hardly one of the worst. It did have an actual story beyond just the fighting, and while Broly certainly wasn’t a particularly complex character, he at least had an interesting backstory (minus the Goku crying thing), and a good dynamic with his father. Also, his movie stood out as one of the more original Dragon Ball films made by Toei.

Completely agree. And I'm not even bothered too much by the crying thing. It's an imperfect representation of a solid idea: that for however much inherent power Broly has, the force of will and spirit in someone like Goku can break through that.

I will say that I think both the second and third Broly films have unique, charming, and well-produced front halves, utterly ruined by the turn toward Broly smash-fests.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:44 am

ABED wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:I do not even remotely understand why so many people seem to love Peter Kelamis as Gokū. The most common thing I see brought up is that he impersonates Nozawa's pronunciations of attack names, but I don't think that automatically makes him good for the role. I think he's dreadful from a purely acting standpoint, and I don't think he even remotely has a grasp on Gokū's personality.
The other one I've heard is his great screams and to be fair, he has a fairly impressive scream. However, that's not acting.
Agreed. I also don't care for his voice for Goku. The man is a great VA. I mean, he played the ever cooky Rolf from Ed, Edd, N Eddy, & is an accomplished VA in his own right, but his voice for Goku. It might be the quality of the recordings I've heard for his Goku, but it just never clicked. Then there's him imitating Nozawa's spirit/performance. It's nice that he has that kind of range, but unless a VA sounds like another, that shouldn't be a standard by which to judge a voice actor. How an actor should be judged is if they can convincingly portray the character. It might also be many people's nostalgia. Many people love the Ocean cast because of this. Many 90s fans of the series got into the show with this cast, since it reran on Toonami nonstop for a few years before FUNi dubbed more episodes with the Texas cast & redubbed the earlier episodes for home releases & later TV airings, I'm assuming for that last one.
Personally, I prefer Schemmel, who sounds pitch perfect in the role even in the early years, where his acting was shit. The only problem I have is when he tries to go high-pitched, which always sounds bad when a grown adult man does that. Even Kirby Morrow sounded better in the clips I've heard than Kalemis, even if he couldn't scream.

I mean, here's the thing about Broly. He's WAY to unjustifiably hyped up by certain members of the fandom. Then there's the sequels. To take a page from Team Four Star, the second movie is boring & the third one's just there. Never mind the fact that the plots were contrived & nonsensical, even for this franchise. The first movie is decently enjoyable if all you care about is the action aspects of Dragon Ball rather than the actual characters, which is probably why Toriyama wanted to reboot Broly. Broly's original backstory is also just bad. Mad at Goku because he made you cry as a baby, which you shouldn't even remember because babies can't form longterm memories yet. Legit, his anger should've been with VEGETA since his dad tried to have him put to death, yet he somehow survived a chest stabbing because he has a high power level? No, sorry. Goku can be hurt by a laser in base form at middle age, Broly can be hurt by a dagger as a baby with NO power being used.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 am

Scsigs wrote:
ABED wrote:
The other one I've heard is his great screams and to be fair, he has a fairly impressive scream. However, that's not acting.
Agreed. I also don't care for his voice for Goku. The man is a great VA. I mean, he played the ever cooky Rolf from Ed, Edd, N Eddy, & is an accomplished VA in his own right, but his voice for Goku. It might be the quality of the recordings I've heard for his Goku, but it just never clicked. Then there's him imitating Nozawa's spirit/performance. It's nice that he has that kind of range, but unless a VA sounds like another, that shouldn't be a standard by which to judge a voice actor. How an actor should be judged is if they can convincingly portray the character. It might also be many people's nostalgia. Many people love the Ocean cast because of this. Many 90s fans of the series got into the show with this cast, since it reran on Toonami nonstop for a few years before FUNi dubbed more episodes with the Texas cast & redubbed the earlier episodes for home releases & later TV airings, I'm assuming for that last one.
Personally, I prefer Schemmel, who sounds pitch perfect in the role even in the early years, where his acting was shit. The only problem I have is when he tries to go high-pitched, which always sounds bad when a grown adult man does that. Even Kirby Morrow sounded better in the clips I've heard than Kalemis, even if he couldn't scream.

I mean, here's the thing about Broly. He's WAY to unjustifiably hyped up by certain members of the fandom. Then there's the sequels. To take a page from Team Four Star, the second movie is boring & the third one's just there. Never mind the fact that the plots were contrived & nonsensical, even for this franchise. The first movie is decently enjoyable if all you care about is the action aspects of Dragon Ball rather than the actual characters, which is probably why Toriyama wanted to reboot Broly. Broly's original backstory is also just bad. Mad at Goku because he made you cry as a baby, which you shouldn't even remember because babies can't form longterm memories yet. Legit, his anger should've been with VEGETA since his dad tried to have him put to death, yet he somehow survived a chest stabbing because he has a high power level? No, sorry. Goku can be hurt by a laser in base form at middle age, Broly can be hurt by a dagger as a baby with NO power being used.
Goku was hurt by the laser due to letting his guard down.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 am

Scsigs wrote: since it reran on Toonami nonstop for a few years before FUNi dubbed more episodes with the Texas cast & redubbed the earlier episodes for home releases & later TV airings, I'm assuming for that last one.
The Ocean voiced dub ran for a year on Toonami before the in-house dub took over. Like DBZ came to Toonami the fall of 1998 and Ginyu Assault premiered September 1999.

Not really “non-stop for a few years”

Honestly I’ve seen way more nostalgia for the Funi in-house dub than anything. Less so on Kanzenshuu but in general the average DBZ fan seems to remember the Funimation cast + Faulconer=DBZ on Toonami

Not that nostalgia for the Ocean cast doesn’t exist (The Rock the Dragon set exist for a reason) but I’ve seen more casual fans believe the Funimation cast for Z was the original English cast.
, who sounds pitch perfect in the role even in the early years, where his acting was shit.
Pitch perfect is realllly stretching it.

The only problem I have is when he tries to go high-pitched, which always sounds bad when a grown adult man does that.
The higher pitched Goku for Schemmel always sounded better. Like he finally got that Goku is man child not Bruce Lee as Superman by way of Superfriends cartoons

Even Kirby Morrow sounded better in the clips I've heard than Kalemis, even if he couldn't scream.
WittyUsername wrote:, and while Broly certainly wasn’t a particularly complex character, he at least had an interesting backstory (minus the Goku crying thing), ll
I never did understand the point of “Legendary Super Saiyan” isn’t the point of Super Saiyan is that its a legendary form?

Also it by no means applies to every Broly fan but he does seem to attract the “Power levels is the only thing that matters and worth discussing” section of the DBZ fandom.

. Mad at Goku because he made you cry as a baby, which you shouldn't even remember because babies can't form longterm memories yet.
To be fair we don’t know how Saiyans memories work as infant. Goku was suppose to be aware of his mission as a baby until he hit his head.

To be even more fair “I hate Goku because he cried when we were babies” will always be the dumbest motivation for a villain of all time. Like why bother?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote: since it reran on Toonami nonstop for a few years before FUNi dubbed more episodes with the Texas cast & redubbed the earlier episodes for home releases & later TV airings, I'm assuming for that last one.
The Ocean voiced dub ran for a year on Toonami before the in-house dub took over. Like DBZ came to Toonami the fall of 1998 and Ginyu Assault premiered September 1999.

Not really “non-stop for a few years”

Honestly I’ve seen way more nostalgia for the Funi in-house dub than anything. Less so on Kanzenshuu but in general the average DBZ fan seems to remember the Funimation cast + Faulconer=DBZ on Toonami

Not that nostalgia for the Ocean cast doesn’t exist (The Rock the Dragon set exist for a reason) but I’ve seen more casual fans believe the Funimation cast for Z was the original English cast.
Well, of course. There's more Funimation Z dub fans than Ocean Z dub fans anyway.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 am

Hulk10 wrote:Goku was hurt by the laser due to letting his guard down.
Broly didn't even have his guard up & was a BABY! You mean to tell me that he wouldn't die from a dagger stabbing, but Goku would get legitimately hurt by a laser?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 am

The Ginyu Force were absolutely amazing, one of the best parts of Z, and should have stuck around for much longer.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 am

Scsigs wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Goku was hurt by the laser due to letting his guard down.
Broly didn't even have his guard up & was a BABY! You mean to tell me that he wouldn't die from a dagger stabbing, but Goku would get legitimately hurt by a laser?
I don't understand the logic either. I'm simply pointing things out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 am

zDBZ wrote:

Completely agree. And I'm not even bothered too much by the crying thing. It's an imperfect representation of a solid idea: that for however much inherent power Broly has, the force of will and spirit in someone like Goku can break through that.

I will say that I think both the second and third Broly films have unique, charming, and well-produced front halves, utterly ruined by the turn toward Broly smash-fests.
I couldn't quite put words to it, but I got the idea what they were going for with the crying thing. However, execution is everything. It's a solid idea, but the execution is silly. It's like The Dark Knight Rises where Blake somehow leaps from I saw you faking a smile to I knew you were Batman. It's meant to be a moment of connection between two orphans, but it's execution is so silly I can't help but roll my eyes.

I mostly like the first and second Broly movies, but he was done to death.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am

Scsigs wrote: I mean, here's the thing about Broly. He's WAY to unjustifiably hyped up by certain members of the fandom. Then there's the sequels. To take a page from Team Four Star, the second movie is boring & the third one's just there. Never mind the fact that the plots were contrived & nonsensical, even for this franchise. The first movie is decently enjoyable if all you care about is the action aspects of Dragon Ball rather than the actual characters, which is probably why Toriyama wanted to reboot Broly. Broly's original backstory is also just bad. Mad at Goku because he made you cry as a baby, which you shouldn't even remember because babies can't form longterm memories yet. Legit, his anger should've been with VEGETA since his dad tried to have him put to death, yet he somehow survived a chest stabbing because he has a high power level? No, sorry. Goku can be hurt by a laser in base form at middle age, Broly can be hurt by a dagger as a baby with NO power being used.
Sorry, but I don’t understand the dagger complaint. The movie was released back in 1993, well before Goku getting hurt by a laser was ever a thing. Were the people who wrote the movie supposed to have been aware that Goku would one day get hurt by a laser? As far as complaints go, that’s a pretty silly nitpick.

Again, I agree that the Goku crying thing is stupid, but when I said that Broly had an interesting backstory, I was referring to the fact that he was someone who was utterly rejected by his own race when he was an infant due to his high battle power, and whose mental instability led to his father desperately trying to keep in line by controlling him. Like I said, Broly wasn’t an especially complex character, but compared to other movie villains, he and Paragus at least had something of substance.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:12 pm

An axe to the head did barely any damage to a young Goku in Dragon Ball. Not sure why a dagger would hurt baby Broly who was much stronger than pre-Kaio training Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:An axe to the head did barely any damage to a young Goku in Dragon Ball. Not sure why a dagger would hurt baby Broly who was much stronger than pre-Kaio training Goku
I get your point on a purely story logic level, but the visual of a knife being plunged into an infant's torso is more visceral than a ki blast.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Um...that kind of doesnt really matter in this discussion. Yes, the visual of a dagger stabbing a baby IS visually and narratively gruesome and visceral..But it has nothing to do with wether Baby Broly could and or should have survived.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Um...that kind of doesnt really matter in this discussion. Yes, the visual of a dagger stabbing a baby IS visually and narratively gruesome and visceral..But it has nothing to do with wether Baby Broly could and or should have survived.
Yep. If Kid Goku could take an axe to the head and have the axe break against his head and only get a bump Broccoli Bambino can take a knife