Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 pm I'm not saying criticism is wrong or bad, or you shouldn't be critical of the entertainment you consume. But continuing to complain about a show that's been off the air for over a year seems a bit silly to me. Surely there are better things to do with one's time.
I mean, if this wasn't a franchise like Dragon Ball, I would agree, but I can't. There's a very good likelihood of DB returning in the future, whether it's in film form or tv show form & the manga for Super is still ongoing with new storylines, so to not continually point out the faults of material, especially the most recent material, that people find in the franchise isn't a wasted effort. It can only help us get better stuff in the future.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm It can only help us get better stuff in the future.
I don't think that's true.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:33 pm I don't think that's true.
I can see the point, but I'm assuming Toei's last few good changes int he franchise are only going to set a precedent & start a trend for them. The fact that the continuation of Super/new series has been taking a while to actually be announced is more than likely a good sign, since at the very least the animation &, hopefully, the writing around Toriyama's plotlines to connect the plot points is a sign that it's going to be better than Super's.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 pm

The 3 Things I want most are things we'll probably never get.

US DBZ Dragon Boxes Reprint that's more faithful to the Japanese DBoxes
US OG DB Dragon Box Release
Viz rerelease of the entire manga (preferably Kanzenban )uncensored with a new/better translation and all as one series.

It aggravates me to know that these things aren't readily available and that the US heads of DB don't cater to the hardcore fans.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 pm

MarCas92 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 pm The 3 Things I want most are things we'll probably never get.

Viz rerelease of the entire manga (preferably Kanzenban )uncensored with a new/better translation and all as one series.

It aggravates me to know that these things aren't readily available and that the US heads of DB don't cater to the hardcore fans.
More faithful in what way?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 pmMore faithful in what way?
The special features mainly. ESPECIALLY the TV specials. But I wouldn't mind if they tweaked a few things (correct preview/ED order, putting in the specials as episodes and other minor things).

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 pm

isn't the episode preview order "issue" on the original dragon boxes ? i don't think that's a US only issue. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/my- ... t-perfect/
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 pm isn't the episode preview order "issue" on the original dragon boxes ? i don't think that's a US only issue. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/my- ... t-perfect/
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I wouldn't mind a few tweaks as well.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:23 pm

oh okay, i thought you meant that it's only a issue on the US release. sorry.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:05 am

MarCas92 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 pm The 3 Things I want most are things we'll probably never get.

I want Viz to finish releasing the Full Color manga, but we all can't have nice things for reasons we will never find out, or truly understand.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 am

I still don't understand why anyone gives a damn about the "proper" order of the ending and NEP's. It seems completely arbitrary and given you are watching the home video release, irrelevant.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:49 am

They want as close to the broadcast version as possible for archival purposes. The term “purist” could be used, though that has a negative connotation these days I think. I empathize with them, though it doesn’t bother me personally, other things that seem just as inconsequential do.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:47 pm

MainJPW wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:55 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm another unpopular opinion
some human warriors after saiyan arc or android arc should be dead?
and it's not that I do not like them but ... it seems an adequate alternative taking into account that they would not have greater participation ..
Why not just give them something to do then?
I'm talking in case they don't give it to them.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm

I don't hate the redrawn frames or the new pieces of animation in Kai. For the redrawn frames, I think rotoscoping the originals was probably the best solution they could've found to replace the damaged ones. Granted, they could've done a much better job of matching the original coloring & shading of the animation they DID keep in from the film sources, but it was a necessary evil to get what I consider the definitive version of the show, at least on a pacing & dubbing level.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 am

Figured I'd post it here instead of the thread proper just cuz I dont wanna add to the Necro-Posting.

That said though, GT getting an in-universe "Yes! This happened" wont make people like it any more or less than they already do. It's its own thing and thats it. I like GT by the way and if its never ever referenced in any official material, i'm completely cool with that.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:41 am

"Beyond that, I personally wanted to make Super Saiyan Blue look crazy strong, and to clearly show the gap between it and Super Saiyan God. The two of them have rather different fighting styles: God relies on predicting and dodging the opponent’s movements, plus godly techniques rather than power. Then Blue puts all the emphasis on bulldozing the opponent with brute force." - Nagamine, DBS Broly director.

Do not care for this supposed distinction. Super Saiyan Blue is not somehow inferior to SSG for prediction and certainly not for using godly techniques: it is SSG except better in every way sans stamina which isn't even an issue for either continuity of Super.

Predicting and dodging the opponent's movements? Yeah, that's easier to do in a stronger form like Blue where everything from basic senses to speed and reaction time are improved. Godly techniques? Super Saiyan Blue is the only form in main continuity where Goku can stack Kaio-Ken, a GODLY technique on top of it to power himself up. He can't do that with SSG.

Also, paralysis is not a godly technique, Roshi and Freeza both locked Goku in place with their ki well before SSG, SSB or any of this other stuff would exist. Why would Blue somehow be worse at doing this exactly?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Battle of Gods is a f**king god awful film and the franchise at its lowest point and far more of an embarrassment to the name DB than Evolution ever was.

Yellow Super Saiyan forms are too trash looking it and just so ugly with SS3 being a poorly designed mess of transformation thank god that form is not popular and has been binned for modern DB, where is belongs.

Toyotaro's work is simply bad. He can't draw, he can't write and his designs are so meh it's amazing to me that he landed a job of a lifetime nothing but a glorified fan artist and never will be more he hasn't improved once at all.

SS4 Vegeta designs I absolutely hate. Long hair that goes down does not suit Vegeta, couple with the god awful attire and the OoC of him achieving the form makes me deapise the form on him.

Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived and Toei dragged it to the point it was boring.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm Battle of Gods is a f**king god awful film and the franchise at its lowest point and far more of an embarrassment to the name DB than Evolution ever was.

Yellow Super Saiyan forms are too trash looking it and just so ugly with SS3 being a poorly designed mess of transformation thank god that form is not popular and has been binned for modern DB, where is belongs.

Toyotaro's work is simply bad. He can't draw, he can't write and his designs are so meh it's amazing to me that he landed a job of a lifetime nothing but a glorified fan artist and never will be more he hasn't improved once at all.

SS4 Vegeta designs I absolutely hate. Long hair that goes down does not suit Vegeta, couple with the god awful attire and the OoC of him achieving the form makes me deapise the form on him.

Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived and Toei dragged it to the point it was boring.
Those aren't unpopular opinions as much as "insane troll logic" (Buffy reference)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived and Toei dragged it to the point it was boring.
i actually think that the anime does improve on some, well mostly minor, things compared to the manga. some of the stand alone filler episodes do help flesh out the characters more than toriyama did, the training episodes with gohan, the kuririn proposal episode, and the trunks special probably being the best examples of this. hell that kuririn episode is a honest to god character study, how often has dragon ball done that ?

but yeah it does get unbearable at times, stuff like the freeza fight and vegeta's, trunks and cell's island fight are already some of my least favorite parts in the manga, and their even worse in the anime. not to mention all the flashbacks to prior episodes, it feels so lazy, even if i get why there are so many.

i don't think it should be the way for people to get into the series i think newcomers should start with the manga, but it's not a bad way to experience the series and i enjoy seeing it's differences even if i ultimately still prefer the manga.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived
This is outright incorrect. Stories are more than simply a matter of being "on plot". Goku and Vegeta had been built towards for years, to not put due emphasis on it would be a disservice to the story. If the primary motivation for one of the central characters is relegated to just a function of the plot, that's terrible writing. However, it wasn't and Toriyama didn't make it short because it was a minor plot point (it wasn't in any sense of the term). The Buu arc is simultaneously the longest arc that moves at a snail's pace, but also manages to plow through its plot.