Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm

OhHiRenan wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm Something bad can still be entertaining much in the way that something good might not necessarily be all that engaging in spite of its quality.
Agreed, which is why I don't like assigning numerical ratings in reviews and why I don't like aggregation sites like Rotten Tomatoes. How do you assign a number to something that has great artistic merit but doesn't interest you, or something that's not all that good but you love and watch over and over?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm
OhHiRenan wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm Something bad can still be entertaining much in the way that something good might not necessarily be all that engaging in spite of its quality.
Agreed, which is why I don't like assigning numerical ratings in reviews and why I don't like aggregation sites like Rotten Tomatoes. How do you assign a number to something that has great artistic merit but doesn't interest you, or something that's not all that good but you love and watch over and over?
The thing that baffles me with Rotten Tomatoes is this:

3/5 stars - Rotten
2/5 stars - Fresh
2/4 stars - Rotten
2/4 stars - Fresh
7/10 stars - Rotten
6/10 stars - Fresh

WTF????

I'm not 100% on how that site works, but in order to submit your review you should have to put in a number out of ten or something. That way it's consistent across the board and there isn't guess work. No Rotten or Fresh. Just a numerical value.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm

All of gts concepts sucked including ss furry eyeliner edge master...I mean ss4. there is no potential for any of them and hopefully they never get adapted into dbs.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm All of gts concepts sucked including ss furry eyeliner edge master...I mean ss4. there is no potential for any of them and hopefully they never get adapted into dbs.
I think the concept behind SSJ4 isn't bad considering up until the end of the Freeza arc Oozaru was considered the peak of Saiyan Power. The idea of ditching super saiyan and instead figuring out a way to evolve the oozaru form into a more usual, less gigantic form in itself is kinda cool.

Also the idea behind the shadow dragons isn't bad either.

The main issue with GT is that it was "Goku Time". Basically no characters were given a chance to shine other than Goku, and the idea of him becoming a kid again did nothing for the story. If they wanted a kid to be the "star" they should have focused more on Pan. I'm not saying get rid of Goku but have him be less of driving force.

Also the fact that they had Adult Trunks and Goten and NOT EVEN ONCE did they use Gotenks is bizarre and a waste. But that's the name of the game with GT, wasted potential.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm All of gts concepts sucked including ss furry eyeliner edge master...I mean ss4. there is no potential for any of them and hopefully they never get adapted into dbs.
Now that really is unpopular opinion as SSJ4 is among those things in GT that almost everyone praises even if they didn't like series or execution of certain ideas. Other examples of popular opinions on good things about GT are:
-GT has great music
-GT has the best opening
-Idea behing Baby and Shadow Dragons were great
-Ending was awesome
omegacwa wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm The main issue with GT is that it was "Goku Time". Basically no characters were given a chance to shine other than Goku, and the idea of him becoming a kid again did nothing for the story. If they wanted a kid to be the "star" they should have focused more on Pan. I'm not saying get rid of Goku but have him be less of driving force.

Also the fact that they had Adult Trunks and Goten and NOT EVEN ONCE did they use Gotenks is bizarre and a waste. But that's the name of the game with GT, wasted potential.
I agree with Pan. It pisses me off how they made her a "damsel in distress" for most of series. Even against Oceanus they still had to make Goku steal her kill. The only villain (except for some reccuring weaklings in S17 arc) she has beaten on her own was Natt from Sigma Force.

I also agree on Gotenks. I hate this character but it would still be cool to see adult version of him + it'd make sense for Goten and Trunks at least try it against Super 17. There was no reason for them to fuse against Baby as Goku said that they have no chance and it's better to give him energy, but they could try it in Super 17 fight at least.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:17 pm

another unpopular opinion ...
I think that some warriors of the U6 should have been given more importance than others ...., they were more interesting and could have greater participation in battles and story

Hit, Caulifla, Kale, Saonel, Pirina, Magetta and voila
you can trash everything else ...

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:59 pmAs I said though, he killed Black when he tried to run away. That sort of makes Goku’s sudden resistance to killing in the Freeza arc seem a tad hypocritical.
Well, some could argument that after his training with Popo and Kami, he probably have learned that he didn't need to kill his enemies all the time, explaining why he didn't finish Piccolo Jr.
omegacwa wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm I'm not 100% on how that site works, but in order to submit your review you should have to put in a number out of ten or something. That way it's consistent across the board and there isn't guess work. No Rotten or Fresh. Just a numerical value.
Well, still is leap and bounds better and more realiable than IMDb.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm

I don't recall Goku killing Black when he tried to run away, if your refering to Goku Black.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm I don't recall Goku killing Black when he tried to run away, if your refering to Goku Black.
Red Ribbon Army Staff Officer Black is who they meant.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:55 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:01 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 pm I don't recall Goku killing Black when he tried to run away, if your refering to Goku Black.
Red Ribbon Army Staff Officer Black is who they meant.
Ah...... Yes I remember that man. Those Red Ribbon soldiers were fools.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm

I don't know how unpopular of an opinion this exactly is, but, even though FUNimation screws up their releases of Z over & over again, I think they, largely, handle the franchise well. It's just that Z's continual mistreatment overshadows the other, legitimately good releases they have released & continue to do. It's for good reasons that they get flak for it, but I feel too many people let it blind them.

Their dubbing is also something that took a massive jump in quality after Z once they figured out how to actually dub an anime. GT's was meh, but GT's also meh, so I don't really care, & the Z movies were hit or miss before Battle of Gods, but DB had a good dub, Kai's was spectacular, & Super's was consistently good, minus the odd choice in dialogue here & there, plus the last 3 movies had great dubs.
I know I'm not the only one to express THAT opinion at least, but I had an encounter with a Spanish fan of DB on Twitter several days ago who has seemingly a very detached, mostly uninformed view of the English dubs nowadays & someone else shat on the newer dubs too. While I can understand frustrations with some things, the dubs are good & I feel people who blanket them with criticisms over things that don't apply aren't doing much in the way of actually giving the newer dubs their fair shakes.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm I don't know how unpopular of an opinion this exactly is, but, even though FUNimation screws up their releases of Z over & over again, I think they, largely, handle the franchise well. It's just that Z's continual mistreatment overshadows the other, legitimately good releases they have released & continue to do. It's for good reasons that they get flak for it, but I feel too many people let it blind them.

Their dubbing is also something that took a massive jump in quality after Z once they figured out how to actually dub an anime. GT's was meh, but GT's also meh, so I don't really care, & the Z movies were hit or miss before Battle of Gods, but DB had a good dub, Kai's was spectacular, & Super's was consistently good, minus the odd choice in dialogue here & there, plus the last 3 movies had great dubs.
I know I'm not the only one to express THAT opinion at least, but I had an encounter with a Spanish fan of DB on Twitter several days ago who has seemingly a very detached, mostly uninformed view of the English dubs nowadays & someone else shat on the newer dubs too. While I can understand frustrations with some things, the dubs are good & I feel people who blanket them with criticisms over things that don't apply aren't doing much in the way of actually giving the newer dubs their fair shakes.
I think their dubbing on the franchise within the last decade has definitely shown how far they've come especially with Kai and the recent movies, true some things aren't perfect here and there but for the most part it's clear to see compared to 20 years ago how they produce the dubs now.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm I don't know how unpopular of an opinion this exactly is, but, even though FUNimation screws up their releases of Z over & over again, I think they, largely, handle the franchise well. It's just that Z's continual mistreatment overshadows the other, legitimately good releases they have released & continue to do. It's for good reasons that they get flak for it, but I feel too many people let it blind them.

Their post-2010 dubbing of the series is generally fine, in fact I prefer it for that material. Sabat and the actors are clearly doing their best and have a lot of respect for the source. The problem is their handling of the re-releases- yer Orange Bricks, 30th anniversary Blu Rays, etc. combined with the fact that even if the newer material is fine, that still leaves the older material, making up a vast majority of the content including the original series that is flat-out unwatchable with their version.

It's kind of a tragedy that original Dragon Ball Z is held up as an example of a good dub due to nostalgia (often by the same people who rag on old 4Kids dubs, when the only difference between 4Kids and Funi DBZ was that 4Kids had some decent actors) but a lot of the better dubs both of that time and in the modern era are dismissed. That doesn't just extend to Dragon Ball either- I think most modern dubs, whether produced in Texas or LA are pretty good nowadays but people just don't talk about them and they aren't promoted the way older dubs used to be. I'm annoyed that the Attack on Titan game doesn't have an English voice option since the AOT anime dub, which is by Funimation, is really good. Faithful, well-acted, virtually no examples of censorship or context changing. Most English dubs are like that these days.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm I think their dubbing on the franchise within the last decade has definitely shown how far they've come especially with Kai and the recent movies, true some things aren't perfect here and there but for the most part it's clear to see compared to 20 years ago how they produce the dubs now.
Exactly. And, I see people in the Super dub thread bash the odd line here & there. While SOME are stupid, definitely, they're not rampant like they were 20 years ago.
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm Their post-2010 dubbing of the series is generally fine, in fact I prefer it for that material. Sabat and the actors are clearly doing their best and have a lot of respect for the source. The problem is their handling of the re-releases- yer Orange Bricks, 30th anniversary Blu Rays, etc. combined with the fact that even if the newer material is fine, that still leaves the older material, making up a vast majority of the content including the original series that is flat-out unwatchable with their version.
The DVDs of DB & GT, I find, are good or acceptable alternatives to the Dragon Boxes, but we SHOULD'VE gotten those by now, honestly. And the official DVDs should've switched to those masters for cheaper releases. I hate how FUNi didn't do that for Z given how awful they know the Orange Bricks are.
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm It's kind of a tragedy that original Dragon Ball Z is held up as an example of a good dub due to nostalgia (often by the same people who rag on old 4Kids dubs, when the only difference between 4Kids and Funi DBZ was that 4Kids had some decent actors) but a lot of the better dubs both of that time and in the modern era are dismissed. That doesn't just extend to Dragon Ball either- I think most modern dubs, whether produced in Texas or LA are pretty good nowadays but people just don't talk about them and they aren't promoted the way older dubs used to be. I'm annoyed that the Attack on Titan game doesn't have an English voice option since the AOT anime dub, which is by Funimation, is really good. Faithful, well-acted, virtually no examples of censorship or context changing. Most English dubs are like that these days.
Yeah. I'd also say that FUNi were more consistent with keeping names the same across both languages & not Americanizing something that isn't set in America, minus changing of some concepts to other ones for no reasons. I hate that Z is also held to a standard it doesn't actually reach & the fact that some people push Kai to the wayside all because of some of the cut filler & lack of the Falconer score, even when the dub's up to an actual standard of quality that'll hold up better over time bothers me a LOT. Like, there's also a Canadian guy who made a video shitting on the new DBZ BRs months ago talking about Z's release history disparages Kai because of some of the redrawn animation & I'm like, "Really, bro? Really? Is it that serious?"
The AOT games not having dubs is more of a fail on Bandai Namco's part & I wish they did too. Unless it's one of their other big anime franchises, though, they don't bother for some reason. AOT comes off as a lower-budget project as a result, which is sad. I'd buy them faster if they did.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:35 pm I think their dubbing on the franchise within the last decade has definitely shown how far they've come especially with Kai and the recent movies, true some things aren't perfect here and there but for the most part it's clear to see compared to 20 years ago how they produce the dubs now.
Exactly. And, I see people in the Super dub thread bash the odd line here & there. While SOME are stupid, definitely, they're not rampant like they were 20 years ago.
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm Their post-2010 dubbing of the series is generally fine, in fact I prefer it for that material. Sabat and the actors are clearly doing their best and have a lot of respect for the source. The problem is their handling of the re-releases- yer Orange Bricks, 30th anniversary Blu Rays, etc. combined with the fact that even if the newer material is fine, that still leaves the older material, making up a vast majority of the content including the original series that is flat-out unwatchable with their version.
The DVDs of DB & GT, I find, are good or acceptable alternatives to the Dragon Boxes, but we SHOULD'VE gotten those by now, honestly. And the official DVDs should've switched to those masters for cheaper releases. I hate how FUNi didn't do that for Z given how awful they know the Orange Bricks are.
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm It's kind of a tragedy that original Dragon Ball Z is held up as an example of a good dub due to nostalgia (often by the same people who rag on old 4Kids dubs, when the only difference between 4Kids and Funi DBZ was that 4Kids had some decent actors) but a lot of the better dubs both of that time and in the modern era are dismissed. That doesn't just extend to Dragon Ball either- I think most modern dubs, whether produced in Texas or LA are pretty good nowadays but people just don't talk about them and they aren't promoted the way older dubs used to be. I'm annoyed that the Attack on Titan game doesn't have an English voice option since the AOT anime dub, which is by Funimation, is really good. Faithful, well-acted, virtually no examples of censorship or context changing. Most English dubs are like that these days.
Yeah. I'd also say that FUNi were more consistent with keeping names the same across both languages & not Americanizing something that isn't set in America, minus changing of some concepts to other ones for no reasons. I hate that Z is also held to a standard it doesn't actually reach & the fact that some people push Kai to the wayside all because of some of the cut filler & lack of the Falconer score, even when the dub's up to an actual standard of quality that'll hold up better over time bothers me a LOT. Like, there's also a Canadian guy who made a video shitting on the new DBZ BRs months ago talking about Z's release history disparages Kai because of some of the redrawn animation & I'm like, "Really, bro? Really? Is it that serious?"
The AOT games not having dubs is more of a fail on Bandai Namco's part & I wish they did too. Unless it's one of their other big anime franchises, though, they don't bother for some reason. AOT comes off as a lower-budget project as a result, which is sad. I'd buy them faster if they did.
Yeah, we're not getting stupid crap inserted into the scripts left and right like "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!" or "That's right boys, Mondo Cool." anymore. They certainly have vastly improved in that area in terms of trying to remain more faithful to the original version, with not attempting to make the show be something it's not by adding a bunch of now outdated hip lingo and everything else which was in abundance especially in the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes. It's amazing to see the vast strides FUNi has made over that time and a gradual shift from things like replacement scores and over the top deliveries of lines. Compare something like the original 1999 version of the dub Ginyu episodes with one of their more recent productions of the last decade (Kai, BOG.etc) and you can see the difference is night and day.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 pm Yeah, we're not getting stupid crap inserted into the scripts left and right like "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!" or "That's right boys, Mondo Cool." anymore. They certainly have vastly improved in that area in terms of trying to remain more faithful to the original version, with not attempting to make the show be something it's not by adding a bunch of now outdated hip lingo and everything else which was in abundance especially in the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes. It's amazing to see the vast strides FUNi has made over that time and a gradual shift from things like replacement scores and over the top deliveries of lines. Compare something like the original 1999 version of the dub Ginyu episodes with one of their more recent productions of the last decade (Kai, BOG.etc) and you can see the difference is night and day.
It's genuinely REALLY frustrating with people who genuinely believe Super's dub is Z's all over again. Like, someone literally said to me on Twitter the other day, "I'll be real here: as much as Kai Improved accuracy wise when compared to Z, it's still far from perfection; Kai TFC gets worse and DBS is just Z all over again, with several dialogues, tones and whatnot replaced by ADR director's preferred dialogues and even memes" & I can't agree less. While, yes, the Kai, TFC, newer movie & Super dubs aren't perfect, they're nowhere near the level of genuine awful Z's dub. Like, no FUNi dub truly is. You can bring up problems with other FUNi dubs if there's some legitimate problem, that's not what I'm saying, but the Z dub is literally rock bottom garbage. Like, I've watched a good amount of the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, which only punched up the dialogue without changing the meanings of the scenes or lines more than a little bit at most from what I've seen & the acting is actually quite good. And, the Super dub isn't like Dragonmaid, in which, for some reason, the scriptwriter for one of the episodes completely changed the sexuality of one of the main characters from gay to straight, which is a WAY worse thing than ANYTHING Super has even tried to do as a slight change for half a second once in a while.

Which, complete side note, Sean Schemmel, even though I was talking about his voice acting in a positive manner, blocked me on Twitter because I guess I annoyed him because he misunderstood what I was saying at first & I explained to him what I meant. That has nothing to do with this, but I was reminded of it because of this. Considering him as a person, going off his interview with Geekdom101, I'm not surprised about whatsoever, but it was odd. Speaking outside of him as a person, though, he's really improved as a voice actor in the last 20 years, it's unreal. He IS Goku in English. Every one of the veteran VAs owns their characters by now & I wouldn't have it any other way with most of them. The only area where Sean doesn't quite work is when he has to play "wacky" Goku, which is fine because I don't feel that works for the character either. He can't quite do voice cracks right. I can get through those moments because it's not all the time & he wasn't cast for that part of Goku's personality, but it's distracting.

Also, forgot to say this about the 4Kids VAs, but their mainstays were actually good voice actors. Like, they're genuinely good & I'm sad they're not in anything anymore & the fact that they're situated in NYC means that, unless they move away, they won't get more work, which is sad. Thankfully, we're now hearing Veronica Taylor in stuff again, which is awesome, & Sam Riegel is an established VA outside of 4Kids, but the other mainstays should get more stuff. Also, the One Piece dub is something I don't hold against them, since 4Kids didn't wanna do it & no one could've worked with the terrible conditions they were forced to when Toei dropped One Piece on them when they wanted to just license other shows from them. That's more a fail on Toei's part, since they were so gung-ho about licensing & airing One Piece in the US that they didn't consider the logistics of making 4Kids dub the series, which included content edits, bad dialogue changes, cut scenes resulting in plot holes, & the fact that 4Kids cut a LOT of important episodes & plot points that would've resulted in EVEN MORE plot holes because Oda is the manga MASTER of continuity porn. But, I think Toei learned a lesson from that when it comes to shopping their works to overseas companies, hopefully.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am

Hit vs Dyspo is the most underrated fight in the entire franchise and it really needs more recognition, i get really dissapointed when i see people complain about how since Z, db fights have always been the same (kick, punch, ki blast) with no mention to episodes like this one. I do get that fights like Goku vs Keflal are more "hype" to talk about, but c'mon man.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am

I like the Sumitomo score in Kai TFC, and consider it to be an improvement over the limited Kikuchi placement of Kai 1.0.

I also much prefer "Fight it out" to the Japanese broadcast opening, which a lot of people seem to like more. I think the latter sounds more like a generic anime opening, while the former has an empowering 80s vibe to it that fits DB.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am

I don't get why people have that mindset, but my best guess is some like the one person who you mention there are so blinded by their own nostalgia for the DBZ dub from watching it on Toonami growing up. As in they just can't bring themselves to accept the fact that it's a terrible, obsolete relic of a dub from FUNi's early years and they aren't that type of company anymore. Many of the things they did back in the day (music replacement, wholesale script rewriting) which were per the norm back in the late '90s/early 2000's have gradually stopped being used by dub companies barring a few cases here and there. True, there have been some examples of things in Kai and Super in terms of scripts that may have been less than perfect. But again, it's not to the level of how the original in house Z dub was where they were inserting stupid dialogue and horribly outdated jokes all over the place that was somewhat relevant at the time in 1999 but not twenty years later. It can't be overstated enough now different FUNimation is these days when compared to back then. The non recast actors have really grown into their roles and the people in charge of the dubs these days actually have a clue when it comes to staying faithful to the source compared to when Barry Watson and co were running things, and it honestly baffles me when there are those who complain about the newer productions and every time i see someone do that i'm like "You're kidding me, you seriously say that the Super dub is worse than Z's." when in fact it's the other way around.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am

I don't get why people have that mindset, but my best guess is some like the one person who you mention there are so blinded by their own nostalgia for the DBZ dub from watching it on Toonami growing up. As in they just can't bring themselves to accept the fact that it's a terrible, obsolete relic of a dub from FUNi's early years and they aren't that type of company anymore. Many of the things they did back in the day (music replacement, wholesale script rewriting) which were per the norm back in the late '90s/early 2000's have gradually stopped being used by dub companies barring a few cases here and there. True, there have been some examples of things in Kai and Super in terms of scripts that may have been less than perfect. But again, it's not to the level of how the original in house Z dub was where they were inserting stupid dialogue and horribly outdated jokes all over the place that was somewhat relevant at the time in 1999 but not twenty years later. It can't be overstated enough now different FUNimation is these days when compared to back then. The non recast actors have really grown into their roles and the people in charge of the dubs these days actually have a clue when it comes to staying faithful to the source compared to when Barry Watson and co were running things, and it honestly baffles me when there are those who complain about the newer productions and every time i see someone do that i'm like "You're kidding me, you seriously say that the Super dub is worse than Z's." when in fact it's the other way around.
My only complaint with the super dub from what I've seen, which is only comparisons to key scenes, is the English cast sounds "bored", for a lack of a better term. The Japanese cast sounds so emotional and excited.