Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beiga

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Beiga » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:54 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:43 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm I think the only thing Sabat’s Vegeta had going for him is nostalgia/familiarity. If someone else had been voicing Vegeta for years and then Sabat came out with his Vegeta circa Kai/Super I don’t think it would be well received it would be “wtf why does Vegeta sound like he’s about to hack up a lung from smoking too many cigarettes?”
yeah that's the thing, even if i don't care about a lot of the funi voice cast, at least a lot of them have pretty much come into their roles to the point where, even if i don't like them (schemmel being the biggest example, the guy just bothers me), their pretty close to matching the character, but sabat's vegeta just has never felt right to me. it's more or less only his vegeta as well, i think his piccolo is pretty solid.
Wow, I think you're me. I feel exactly the same way.

Give me Horikawa, or the Latin American Vegeta, or even Brian Drummond over Sabbat's Vegeta any day.

Also feel the same about Schemmel. Don't like him at all, but I can tolerate his Goku. Nozawa is still the best imo.

Related to the Yamcha/Krillin discussion, I don't know if this belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but I think it's pretty much Toei's fault that people think of Krillin as a loser. No, he was never, ever as strong as Goku even if they were much more even in their youth. But Toei really seemed to take the light ribbing Toriyama would do to him and exaggerate it, especially in the movies. Krillin can definitely be the comic relief, but Toei seemed to make it rather mean spirited.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 pm

I'm checking out Goku's alt skins in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and I'm remembering how much I hate Bulma's Saiyan armor reproductions. They're just so blue. And white. And completely lacking in any personality. I thought it might just be Goku's model but no. Trunks and Gohan have the same problem too.

Bulma is a bad designer is what I'm getting at and she's probably the one who convinced Yamcha to try out that horrific haircut he has in the Cell Arc.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 pm I'm checking out Goku's alt skins in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and I'm remembering how much I hate Bulma's Saiyan armor reproductions. They're just so blue. And white. And completely lacking in any personality. I thought it might just be Goku's model but no. Trunks and Gohan have the same problem too.

Bulma is a bad designer is what I'm getting at and she's probably the one who convinced Yamcha to try out that horrific haircut he has in the Cell Arc.
So...her using a machine to copy the design & material as closely as possible to what Vegeta was wearing that has minor differences is her being a bad designer? Also, they're skin-tight jumpsuits, chest armors, gloves, & boots meant specifically for combat. Not a lot of personality in what's meant to be just combat wear.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 pm So...her using a machine to copy the design & material as closely as possible to what Vegeta was wearing that has minor differences is her being a bad designer? Also, they're skin-tight jumpsuits, chest armors, gloves, & boots meant specifically for combat. Not a lot of personality in what's meant to be just combat wear.
Venetian plate armor was meant to be combat wear and that shit's gorgeous. Bulma just has bad taste.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:44 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:02 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 pm So...her using a machine to copy the design & material as closely as possible to what Vegeta was wearing that has minor differences is her being a bad designer? Also, they're skin-tight jumpsuits, chest armors, gloves, & boots meant specifically for combat. Not a lot of personality in what's meant to be just combat wear.
Venetian plate armor was meant to be combat wear and that shit's gorgeous. Bulma just has bad taste.
Bulma had bad taste when her goal was to just replicate the armor Vegeta's had for the last 3 years as closely as possible & not redesign it in any way? What?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:08 pm

the cell arc saiyan/freeza armor definitely looks insanely boring without the high neck, it's got the same vibe as late freeza arc vegeta's armor where it's just kind of a boring design, but at least that had a unique color. thankfully the two characters who wear it for any amount of time both have the high neck but yeah, always thought it looked a little dumb on gohan and goku.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 am

I just think it's silly to blame Bulma for not hard redesign of a suit considering the purpose of her making them. Plus, she made them mostly for Vegeta, who probably prefers the look she makes them with, considering he wears the same one for years on end, only with a difference of color for the onesie sometimes.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:29 am

Pan was much better pick than Goten for space adventures.

Trunks and Goten were never much interesting and developed on their own and they only worked as a team. GT developed them enough to make them interesting characters without each other. If Goten went to space with Trunks, things would repeat itself as they would keep fusing into Gotenks all the time. But this way we could see Trunks in action displaying his own traits instead and having completely different role he would have otherwise.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:54 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:29 amPan was much better pick than Goten for space adventures.
I don't think the issue was Pan as much as it was the writing that didn't do anyone any favors. Pan's role according to the writers was to be the person that needed saving, which doesn't leave much for character development.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Pan, unfortunately, wasn't a great character in GT. She grew into a cocky, whiny brat for very little reason, which was her main problem. Add a slight damsel in distress role at times & her English VAs' awful voice tone for her that doesn't mix well with her constant crying moans of "Grandpa" & the like & she is one of the most annoying elements of GT.

Also, saying she was a better choice to go to space than Goten isn't really giving him enough credit. Even today, some people like his characterization in GT than other places where he otherwise didn't really have any. He was in desperate need of character development. Hell, he STILL is, so I think he would've still been great to go into space. Not to say I'm surprised they went with Pan, since she was the newest character out of all of them, so I don't blame them for going with her.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:36 pm Pan, unfortunately, wasn't a great character in GT. She grew into a cocky, whiny brat for very little reason, which was her main problem. Add a slight damsel in distress role at times & her English VAs' awful voice tone for her that doesn't mix well with her constant crying moans of "Grandpa" & the like & she is one of the most annoying elements of GT.

Also, saying she was a better choice to go to space than Goten isn't really giving him enough credit. Even today, some people like his characterization in GT than other places where he otherwise didn't really have any. He was in desperate need of character development. Hell, he STILL is, so I think he would've still been great to go into space. Not to say I'm surprised they went with Pan, since she was the newest character out of all of them, so I don't blame them for going with her.
You are overthinking it. Kids become whiny brats for all sorts of reasons. Her fundamental problem was she was little more than the damsel, and her arc, to the extent that she had one, wasn't clear. But this is in no way an unpopular opinion. The actual unpopular opinion is that despite those qualities or even because of some of them, actually liking her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:49 pm You are overthinking it. Kids become whiny brats for all sorts of reasons. Her fundamental problem was she was little more than the damsel, and her arc, to the extent that she had one, wasn't clear. But this is in no way an unpopular opinion. The actual unpopular opinion is that despite those qualities or even because of some of them, actually liking her.
I wasn't overthinking it. I was describing my thoughts on the matter. Pan was the most wasted main character in GT (I know that that's not an unpopular opinion, but parts of my reasoning is what, I think, most people don't focus on). On top of that, she was more annoying than anything because the writers kept putting her in situations where she didn't do shit other than be a damsel. Her English VA didn't help (I only watched GT dubbed) by having one of the most annoying young girl voices to hit Dragon Ball. People who give Nadolny shit for not sounding right as Gohan REALLY need to give Pan in GT a listen because, oh my god, is she annoying (at the very least Nadolny didn't grate on my ears). It effectively killed a lot of the enjoyment GT could've had for me anytime she was on-screen doing anything like that.

And, I DO think that Goten could've served as a good substitute for her in the main story. I remember seeing the first American episode as a kid (the one that was a cobbled together version of the first 16 Japanese episodes) & being disappointed that Goten wasn't part of the team, since they both were a team in Z. Now I look back & look at Super as well & I think that having Goten as a main character written by anyone other than Toriyama can really give him potential to develop as a character, since he's just Goku as a kid but he doesn't develop much because he's not a main character, though he had a good moment where he saw Buu transform Chichi into an egg & step on her, sending him into a rage & creating personal stakes for him to perfect the Fusion training. I like GT Trunks, so I think GT Goten could've been great too, especially when some people really like him being a ladies man (to add to it, I hated when Goten & Trunks didn't fuse into Gotenks in the last arc. I didn't expect them to do much as Gotenks that would've secured victory, but they should've fused to help out Gogeta at some point & it was wasted potential).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:48 pm the writers kept putting her in situations where she didn't do shit other than be a damsel.
That was literally exactly why she was added.

Also, when I wrote that you overthought the issue, I was only referring to her being a brat. There doesn't have to be a reason for it. Then you spend your response just reiterating your first comment. I got it, but your reasons aren't unique. People find her annoying for every reason you listed.
(at the very least Nadolny didn't grate on my ears)
I beg to differ. Her Goku is f'n awful. It's easily worse than her Gohan.

I will continue to defend Pan's inclusion in GT. It's not about power, it's about dynamic among characters. I like Trunks and Goten together, but we saw that a lot. The combination of Goku, Pan, and Trunks is unique and they bounce of each other well. Pan brings out the grandfatherly part of Goku and it's really sweet. We don't see that if it's Goten. Then there's the simple issue of it's nice having a prominent female in the mix.
I don't think the issue was Pan as much as it was the writing that didn't do anyone any favors. Pan's role according to the writers was to be the person that needed saving, which doesn't leave much for character development.
The obvious development is her being able to fend for herself.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:23 pm

I'm curious, why do you think her Gohan is better than her Goku?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:32 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:53 pm I beg to differ. Her Goku is f'n awful. It's easily worse than her Gohan.
I’m in no rush to defend Nadolny but I can’t fathom how her Goku is worse than her Gohan. She can barely act regardless but at least her Goku sort of fit the character, the chain smoker Gohan voice is all sorts of wrong.

Far as I can tell she pretty much used her Goku voice for Gohan when they did the redubbing circa 2005-2007 anyways and that was honestly an improvement. Not good just less awful. They should of made her redub all of her Gohan dialog (short of replacing her with a better actress)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:34 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:23 pm I'm curious, why do you think her Gohan is better than her Goku?
At least her Gohan is just a bad performance. Her Goku voice is obnoxious.

And sorry Masenko, I can't disagree more. Her Woody Woodpecker voice doesn't fit Goku.

I know you have a big problem with the raspy voice, but I've heard young kids with very raspy voices.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:35 pm

See, I don't understand the criticism of her being too raspy. For younger Gohan & Goku where they're extremely young kids or babies, I can kind of understand, since Nadolny obviously can't go too young when voicing boys, but when she's in the Cell Saga, I feel that's where it really clicks with her. It feels similar to Tara Strong as Ben Tennyson. You can make the argument SHE'S too raspy for a 10-year-old like Nadolny may be too raspy for an 11-year-old or 12-year-old, but that's how a LOT of animated young boys sound, especially when voiced by women (&, no, Lanipator, she does NOT sound like fucking goddamn BOBBY HILL!). Though, at least Tara Strong can go more high-pitched when playing even younger Ben, I can say that.

I actually have more problems with Colleen Clinkenbeard voicing young Gohan & Goku, where it's the exact same voice tone she uses for Luffy, just not as deep or "stupid" sounding (she really needs to go back to how she voiced Luffy 10 years ago in the One Piece dub, since she goes WAY too deep for her Luffy voice to really work), just being more articulate as Gohan while her Goku is exactly the same voice tone & delivery as Luffy, just not as deep. She literally doesn't do much to change up the voices to make them that distinct. It's about as bad as Sabat's current Piccolo voice being almost 1:1 his Zorro voice, just not as deep or soft-spoken.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, especially since some of you just can't see what I'm talking about for some reason, but these are more the problems I have with some of the voices. Now, I don't mind a VA just doing a variation on one voice, since I much enjoy Johnny Yong Bosch, Derek Stephen Prince, Tara Strong, Yuri Lowenthal, Eric Vale, & the like, but the voice has to not be to some degree annoying or basic. Having a distinct voice helps in enjoying it, especially if it's not an annoying one.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm pretty sure Tara Strong can do more than just one voice.

And yeah, there's nothing wrong with voice actors not being versatile, although it annoys me when there are fans of voice actors with only one voice who criticize another voice actor who can only do one voice. I hate that double standard so much.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:35 pm I actually have more problems with Colleen Clinkenbeard voicing young Gohan & Goku, where it's the exact same voice tone she uses for Luffy, just not as deep or "stupid" sounding (she really needs to go back to how she voiced Luffy 10 years ago in the One Piece dub, since she goes WAY too deep for her Luffy voice to really work), just being more articulate as Gohan while her Goku is exactly the same voice tone & delivery as Luffy, just not as deep. She literally doesn't do much to change up the voices to make them that distinct. It's about as bad as Sabat's current Piccolo voice being almost 1:1 his Zorro voice, just not as deep or soft-spoken.
This is a criticism I don't get. Who cares if it's the same voice? It's not the same series. It's like complaining when character actors play similar roles. Why does it matter if they fit the role? The point is to serve the story not show how much range you have.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:35 pm See, I don't understand the criticism of her being too raspy. For younger Gohan & Goku where they're extremely young kids or babies, I can kind of understand, since Nadolny obviously can't go too young when voicing boys, but when she's in the Cell Saga, I feel that's where it really clicks with her.
Her chainsmoker voice was at its worst in the Cell Saga. For god knows whatever reason she was directed to have Gohan sound like Clint Eastwood (and no I’m not making this up she literally said she was told to do this) and it shows how clueless the voice director was on Gohan.

I don’t have a problem with raspy voices. Kara Edwards Goten and Laura Bailey’s Trunks have raspy voices. I have a problem with Nadolny’s chainsmoker Gohan voice and that like half the Funi cast relies on raspy voices. Did Fort Worth have a massive discount on cigarettes in 1999?

I actually have more problems with Colleen Clinkenbeard voicing young Gohan & Goku, where it's the exact same voice tone she uses for Luffy, just not as deep or "stupid" sounding (she really needs to go back to how she voiced Luffy 10 years ago in the One Piece dub, since she goes WAY too deep for her Luffy voice to really work), just being more articulate as Gohan while her Goku is exactly the same voice tone & delivery as Luffy, just not as deep. She literally doesn't do much to change up the voices to make them that distinct. It's about as bad as Sabat's current Piccolo voice being almost 1:1 his Zorro voice, just not as deep or soft-spoken.
Like Abed said Luffy is from an entirely different series so who cares? Nadolny uses her Goku voice for the redub era for Gohan. So Clinkenbeard has like one boy voice who cares? At least her acting isn’t horrible like Nadolny?
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.