Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Chichi regressed more than Goku did. I don't think Goku is more of a caricature than he ever as, whereas Chichi has clearly been regressed to her previous characterization as a tiger mom. I can only assume it's because that was the characterization she is most well know for. However, what I found so interesting from the Cell arc onward is how she grew out of that, especially once Goku died. Now it's like she learned nothing
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Is it unpopular to say I wish Frieza stayed dead? I don't know with all the Frieza avatars I see but something I liked about Dragon Ball was how major villains were contained within their own arcs mostly. It didn't lead to stupid power scaling arguments too since even if you liked an earlier villain they were a threat for their arc and could have cool fights. I thought Hit was so cool in Super because we were finally getting something new and something cool! I don't want to revisit old villains and give them 20x power multipliers because it makes their old story have less impact as well. Leading to questions like "What Frieza never trained? Wait, if he did he could've ended the old arc in an instant?"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm

More of an unpopular opinion in this part of the fandom only; but as someone who was introduced to the series via the Kikuchi score and usually watches the series with Shunsuke Kikuchi's music I cannot for the life of me understand people who say that the Shuki Levi/Saban replacement score was better than the stuff Team Falconer put out for the show.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm More of an unpopular opinion in this part of the fandom only; but as someone who was introduced to the series via the Kikuchi score and usually watches the series with Shunsuke Kikuchi's music I cannot for the life of me understand people who say that the Shuki Levi/Saban replacement score was better than the stuff Team Falconer put out for the show.
Yeah at least Faulconer's music is distinctive sounding if nothing else, Saban's music sounds like every other 90s kids action cartoon.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:22 pm
Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm More of an unpopular opinion in this part of the fandom only; but as someone who was introduced to the series via the Kikuchi score and usually watches the series with Shunsuke Kikuchi's music I cannot for the life of me understand people who say that the Shuki Levi/Saban replacement score was better than the stuff Team Falconer put out for the show.
Yeah at least Faulconer's music is distinctive sounding if nothing else, Saban's music sounds like every other 90s kids action cartoon.
To be fair, a number of the shows that kids grew up on in the 90s were in fact scored by Wasserman, including X-Men, Power Rangers, and yes, Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:30 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm I cannot for the life of me understand people who say that the Shuki Levi/Saban replacement score was better than the stuff Team Falconer put out for the show.
Better is relative here. I can listen to the Ron Wasserman score and be like “meh run of the mill cartoon music” the Faulconer score is ear bleeding levels of awful.

One is mediocre or at best workman like the other is inspiring only in how bad it can get.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm

I dunno. I can hear the faults in Team Faulconer's music, but I at least remember it and sometimes listen to it, or perform it to myself. I don't think I've ever caught myself humming anything from the Saban score.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Again I’m not here to sing the praises of the Wasserman score it’s just there. Kind of like the Peter Berring score for Dragon Ball’s first Funimation dub or Sumitomo.

I’ll give Faulconer the few tracks I enjoy but a few highs don’t make up for the mostly lows or the overall hilariously bad use of the score. Wasserman’s score is content to just exist and be background noise.

Like, do I eat a meal that is just fine or a meal that taste awful and nauseating but some nice chocolate pie is being served as a side dish?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:43 pm

Still, I'd even take the filler music and less memorable tracks over the Wasserman score. For all it's shortcomings I still think the in-house Funimation score is the superior of the two in every way. The only time IMO the Ocean score was memorable was during the Ginyu Force introduction, where the music gave them a otherworldly yet threatening vibe.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm I dunno. I can hear the faults in Team Faulconer's music, but I at least remember it and sometimes listen to it, or perform it to myself. I don't think I've ever caught myself humming anything from the Saban score.
I grew up with the Ocean dub and watched those episodes so many times, and I actually like the music. Even if I didn't, that theme that plays when Goku arrives in the nick of time to rescue Gohan and Kuririn on Earth and Namek gives me goosebumps.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm

I can't be upset with Yamamoto. I just can't. I know there's some cognitive dissonance going on, because I totally understand why what he did was wrong, but the music I heard from the games had such an impact on me growing up, I find it really difficult to even feel bad enjoying his music. I know a few people here feel real strongly about the situation and say there's a sour feeling while listening in present day, but I just don't feel it. The Butouden Arrangements are just too good for me to feel it, and the Budokai soundtracks pretty much defined game music for me as a teen.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:08 pm

Rory wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm I can't be upset with Yamamoto. I just can't. I know there's some cognitive dissonance going on, because I totally understand why what he did was wrong, but the music I heard from the games had such an impact on me growing up, I find it really difficult to even feel bad enjoying his music. I know a few people here feel real strongly about the situation and say there's a sour feeling while listening in present day, but I just don't feel it. The Butouden Arrangements are just too good for me to feel it, and the Budokai soundtracks pretty much defined game music for me as a teen.
I'm not too bothered either, as far as crimes committed by music composers, plagiarism is nowhere near as bad as say being a war-crimes denier(and a homophobe as well :sick: ) like the composer for the Dragon Quest games is:https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon ... too.57403/
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 am

If nothing else, Yamamoto had the decency to plagiarize good music.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am

Trunks shouldn't have killed King Cold with such ease. I get it, badass entrance and all, but just seeing him wreck Frieza was enough to prove his strength.

Now because of that we never got to see any of Cold's moveset, potential transformations etc. He is just wasted as a character, not even in DBZ Kakarot he wants to fight you. All that just because of hyping up Trunks, just so he can in return - hype the Androids.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am

I agree with ABED. That piece of music of the Wasserman dub when Goku arrives on Namek is pretty good. Heck, I'm even fond of the piece where Vegeta finds out that Gohan has a Dragon Ball. The Faulconer score just is too hardcore. I've some people here saying that it would fit Transformers G1 better than Dragon Ball, but I don't see how.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am . I've some people here saying that it would fit Transformers G1 better than Dragon Ball, but I don't see how.
The music does sound like two Transformers having loud obnoxious sex while going on the fritz. Not sure if it would fit the old 80s cartoon though.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am Trunks shouldn't have killed King Cold with such ease. I get it, badass entrance and all, but just seeing him wreck Frieza was enough to prove his strength.

Now because of that we never got to see any of Cold's moveset, potential transformations etc. He is just wasted as a character, not even in DBZ Kakarot he wants to fight you. All that just because of hyping up Trunks, just so he can in return - hype the Androids.
The issue here I think is just... Cold in general. He shouldn't have been there at all, or a character at any point. I know that one's not an unpopular opinion, but I figured I'd chime in regardless.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Rory wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 amThe issue here I think is just... Cold in general. He shouldn't have been there at all, or a character at any point. I know that one's not an unpopular opinion, but I figured I'd chime in regardless.
Nothing wrong with Frieza having a father. Especially considering we just learned he was fairly young when he took reign.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am I agree with ABED. That piece of music of the Wasserman dub when Goku arrives on Namek is pretty good. Heck, I'm even fond of the piece where Vegeta finds out that Gohan has a Dragon Ball. The Faulconer score just is too hardcore.
At times the Wasserman score gets "edgy and hardcore", but nowhere near to the same extent as Faulconer. In an interview, Wasserman said he thought the score was much darker than all the other ones he had done in the 90s. The Faulconer guys likewise have said they were influenced by the dark sounds in Wassserman's score, which is why it sometimes comes off as a darker and edgier version of Wasserman.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Interesting as I found his X-Men score much "darker".