Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:41 am I wish Freeza used his second, and third form as well in ToP, even if against weaker opponents.

They may not be as powerful as fourth form, or Golden Freeza, but designwise, they perfectly displayed how true danger, and cruelty hidden beneath his small horned form.

In fact, I kinda dislike the fact that nowadays Freeza is by default in his 4th form.
Freeza's 4th form is his base, default form. His first 3 forms are actually transformations, but unlike the saiyans, he transforms down.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am

After the Yamamoto scandal Toei probably wants to avoid Freeza’s third form anyways...

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am After the Yamamoto scandal Toei probably wants to avoid Freeza’s third form anyways...
Toriyama designed Freeza’s forms.. The only resemblance to the Xenomorphs is the hot dog head, that hardly qualifies as plagiarism.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:33 am

I vastly prefer the slice of life character pieces to the Goku and Vegeta vs. a new enemy arcs. I feel we've done all we can do with increasingly stronger villains.

Dragonball was far more interesting when every battle wasn't to save the universe from imminent destruction.
I don't care about the entirity of the universe. I'm surprised if any fan does. Earth and maybe Namek are the only planets in Universe 7 we have any emotional connection to, and we've seen them both destroyed a few times now so...yeah hard to care at this point?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Akyon wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:33 am I vastly prefer the slice of life character pieces to the Goku and Vegeta vs. a new enemy arcs. I feel we've done all we can do with increasingly stronger villains.

Dragonball was far more interesting when every battle wasn't to save the universe from imminent destruction.
I don't care about the entirity of the universe. I'm surprised if any fan does. Earth and maybe Namek are the only planets in Universe 7 we have any emotional connection to, and we've seen them both destroyed a few times now so...yeah hard to care at this point?
Hence why it's wise to end the story at some point. We've long since passed that point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:32 pm

I have an emotional attachment to the Saiyans these days.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm

I think Yamu deserved a fight. Considering he was smarter of the two, it would be nice to see his fighting style combined with Majin power. Maybe against Krillin in the World Tournament at least.

Come to think of it, I don't even remember who he was supposed to fight before it got interrupted.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm I think Yamu deserved a fight. Considering he was smarter of the two, it would be nice to see his fighting style combined with Majin power. Maybe against Krillin in the World Tournament at least.

Come to think of it, I don't even remember who he was supposed to fight before it got interrupted.
Jewel aka that guy who came in 2nd in the prior tournament and tried to hit on 18 during the Battle Royale

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:29 am

As a fan that appreciates aspects of all versions of the show (sub and dub) I just wanted to say that Kikuchi does amazing action tracks. I have no problem with the Faulconer score in of itself but these tracks are much better.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Judging by the rankings threads that Matches Malone made recently, this seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion, so I’ll just say it: I don’t think Super: Broly is an especially fantastic film. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad film. I would certainly take it over something like Resurrection ‘F’ any day of the week. It’s a good looking film that does have substance to it, as well as some solid characterizations.

With that said, I think the movie suffers from the same problem that the original Broly movie suffered from, in that once the fighting starts, it goes on for too long. Yes, I know that Dragon Ball is all about fighting, and yes, the fighting is flashy and there is creativity to it, but when I watched the movie in the theater, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of exhaustion from all the constant fighting.

Beyond that, I also didn’t care for the part of the movie that adapted Minus. Minus is bad enough on its own, and devoting several minutes of the runtime of the movie to it just feels like a waste. Yes, I know that it’s supposed to draw a parallel between Goku and Broly, but it comes across as pretty far removed from the rest of the movie, and it doesn’t do any better of a job of getting me to care about Goku’s parents than the manga version.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:57 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:09 pm Judging by the rankings threads that Matches Malone made recently, this seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion, so I’ll just say it: I don’t think Super: Broly is an especially fantastic film. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad film. I would certainly take it over something like Resurrection ‘F’ any day of the week. It’s a good looking film that does have substance to it, as well as some solid characterizations.

With that said, I think the movie suffers from the same problem that the original Broly movie suffered from, in that once the fighting starts, it goes on for too long. Yes, I know that Dragon Ball is all about fighting, and yes, the fighting is flashy and there is creativity to it, but when I watched the movie in the theater, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of exhaustion from all the constant fighting.
Yeah, that's fair. The movie is basically 40 minutes pre-fight, and then 50 of almost non-stop fighting.

Actually, the fighting portion of the movie kind of affected me in a similar way. If I could describe it in a few words, it would be "the best headache of my life". Still a headache, though.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:00 am

Yo'Goodfella wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:57 amThe movie is basically 40 minutes pre-fight, and then 50 of almost non-stop fighting. The fighting portion of the movie kind of affected me in a similar way. If I could describe it in a few words, it would be "the best headache of my life". Still a headache, though.
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:09 pmI think the movie suffers from the same problem that the original Broly movie suffered from, in that once the fighting starts, it goes on for too long. when I watched the movie in the theater, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of exhaustion from all the constant fighting.

I think it was a reaction to the criticisms against Freeza's fights in RF. His fight with Goku was underwhelming, and if you blinked you'd miss his fight with Vegeta. So far I think BOG had the best balance of fights and down time, as neither over stayed its welcome or was too short to leave the viewer wanting more (although I could've done without Pilaf).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:37 am

Some of it was the length but even that doesn't feel like the fundamental problem with the fight. Pretty much every boss fight in DB is longer than any Broly fight, and most of them can hold my interest. None of the fights against Broly are interesting. I can't put my finger on the fundamental reason except for the first one, though. That fight was so one sided and seeing Broly take hits without so much as moving an inch gets boring really fast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 pmYou can ignore Episode Of Bardock and Super Dragon Ball Heroes. But you can't ignore Dragon Ball Minus for one big reason... it's written and drawn independently by the creator of Dragon Ball.
That's not really true, people could pretty much stick with the original volumes and the TV Special without minding Super existence. Sure this is like living in a bubble, but a healthy bubble nonetheless :)
Psajdak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:41 am I wish Freeza used his second, and third form as well in ToP, even if against weaker opponents. They may not be as powerful as fourth form, or Golden Freeza, but designwise, they perfectly displayed how true danger, and cruelty hidden beneath his small horned form. In fact, I kinda dislike the fact that nowadays Freeza is by default in his 4th form.
Freeza rampaging through fodders using all of his forms? I would appreciate that, his third form could have given some love after its original debut
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am After the Yamamoto scandal Toei probably wants to avoid Freeza’s third form anyways...
And how is that even related?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 pm

I don't like how the new Broly movie looks.

Vegetto was annoying in the Buu saga, his plan was stupid and his fight with Boo was boring.

I prefer the RoF arc over the movie.

Kid Boo was a way better villain than Super Boo after he absorbed Piccolo, Gotenks and Gohan.

Piccolo's role in the Buu saga is one of his best ones. I prefer Piccolo being a mentor to 2 annoying brats and having lots of comedic moments with them over him getting a power-up only to get defeated by the main villain (which happened 2 times, in the Frieza saga and in the Cell saga).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 pm Kid Boo was a way better villain than Super Boo after he absorbed Piccolo, Gotenks and Gohan.
I don’t think this one is a very unpopular opinion. Boo basically just became a run of the mill Dragon Ball villain after he started absorbing people.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:42 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:37 amPretty much every boss fight in DB is longer than any Broly fight, and most of them can hold my interest. None of the fights against Broly are interesting. I can't put my finger on the fundamental reason except for the first one, though.
I think the difference is balance. Goku's fight with Freeza on Namek is by far the longest in the franchise, but it's not one sided. From start to finish, both characters are constantly one upping each other through different strategies and techniques. Contrary to poplar belief, it's not just 2 strong guys punching each other until one gets tired. That is however, how the fights against Broly play out. When Broly fought Vegeta, there was nothing but each one powering up more to punch the other harder, with Vegeta in control for the majority of the fight. When Broly fought Goku, Broly was the one in control for the majority of the fight, with very little else going on. Gogeta's fight however is the biggest offender. From start to finish, the entire fight was just Gogeta destroying Broly, with him not even landing a single hit. Now compare that to the fight with Freeza, where Goku had to constantly hide and think of different ideas about how to catch Freeza off guard. It kept the fight interesting, as you never knew what each fighter might come up with. I have no issues with one sided beat downs, but they shouldn't be too long, or they just end up being tiresome instead of impactful. Vegeta's beat down on Golden Freeza in RF's Super arc is a great example of how a one sided beat down should be. It's not long, but every second was used perfectly to show just how screwed Freeza was at that point.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:28 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:42 pm
Gogeta's fight however is the biggest offender. From start to finish, the entire fight was just Gogeta destroying Broly, with him not even landing a single hit. Now compare that to the fight with Freeza, where Goku had to constantly hide and think of different ideas about how to catch Freeza off guard. It kept the fight interesting, as you never knew what each fighter might come up with.
Eh, I’m really not sure those two fights should really be compared at all, considering I think they’re trying to go for two entirely different things. You already mentioned Goku vs Freeza, so I’ll say what kept me interested throughout the Gogeta vs Broly fight. I think it did an excellent job in selling the tension not for whether or not Gogeta wins, but whether or not Broly (who’s arguably the protagonist/main character of the film) is gonna survive. For this pro wrestling fans out there I’d say that this was a good example of a “double turn”. Basically, where the face becomes the heel and vice versa throughout a match. And honestly, I do think that that’s what the fight was going for, primarily because of the gradual shift in musical tone, Gogeta getting more and more ferocious with his attacks, and it getting to the point where Broly couldn’t hold his guard up any further as Gogeta was attacking him (even showing fear at gogeta’s last attack with his pupils coming back). I don’t know, was just the feeling I (and a close friend that watched it late last year) ultimately came to.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 am

As exhausted as I was by the endless fighting in Broly, I will say that I do think the Gogeta fight had far more tension than anything in RF, for the exact reason Dbzk1999 brought up.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 am

Dbzk1999 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:28 pmI’ll say what kept me interested throughout the Gogeta vs Broly fight. I think it did an excellent job in selling the tension of whether or not Broly is gonna survive. Gogeta getting more and more ferocious with his attacks, and it getting to the point where Broly couldn’t hold his guard up any further as Gogeta was attacking him (even showing fear at gogeta’s last attack with his pupils coming back).
I have no issue with the intention of the fight, but with its length. I think they could've gotten the idea across just fine with something a bit shorter. Between the 3 fights, I think Vegeta's had the perfect length, while Freeza's was the complete opposite, it was too short and used for laughs. I wish they would've cut a bit of time out of Goku and Gogeta's and made Freeza's longer, to at least show that he was somewhat competent and not a pushover.