Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VDenter

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by VDenter » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 pm

The more time passes the more i just come to realize that Super wasn't good in the slightest. Even the things that i midly enjoyed back then when it was airing, i kind of only liked them because they were part of new DB material. So there was a bit of a "honeymoon" period going on there but now there is nothing left.

I doubt i will ever rewatch Super or give it much attention. It could disappear from the face of the earth and i wouldn't feel like we would lose anything substantial if that scenario did happen. I really enjoyed Battle of Gods and still do but that didn't need to kickstart Dragon Ball's revival.

There is a ongoing arc in the Manga and i just couldn't give a shit about it. If anyone told me two decades ago that there would be new DB material coming out and i wouldn't care about it in the slightest or even bother checking out what its about, i seriously wouldn't believe that person for a second.

I'm glad Super is mostly "over" and the longer we go on without seeing it again the better i feel. I just don't want more mediocre garbage attached to this franchise.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm

VDenter wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 pm The more time passes the more i just come to realize that Super wasn't good in the slightest. Even the things that i midly enjoyed back then when it was airing, i kind of only liked them because they were part of new DB material.
I've always viewed modern DB as a temporary thing that'd just be forgotten once it was over. Its lack of quality in both production and writing prevents it from having the staying power of the original. They have taken the right steps in improving things, but it remains to be seen if they'll keep it up or go back to what they were doing before.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm

VDenter wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 pm The more time passes the more i just come to realize that Super wasn't good in the slightest. Even the things that i midly enjoyed back then when it was airing, i kind of only liked them because they were part of new DB material. So there was a bit of a "honeymoon" period going on there but now there is nothing left.

I doubt i will ever rewatch Super or give it much attention. It could disappear from the face of the earth and i wouldn't feel like we would lose anything substantial if that scenario did happen. I really enjoyed Battle of Gods and still do but that didn't need to kickstart Dragon Ball's revival.

There is a ongoing arc in the Manga and i just couldn't give a shit about it. If anyone told me two decades ago that there would be new DB material coming out and i wouldn't care about it in the slightest or even bother checking out what its about, i seriously wouldn't believe that person for a second.

I'm glad Super is mostly "over" and the longer we go on without seeing it again the better i feel. I just don't want more mediocre garbage attached to this franchise.
I couldn't agree more. I admit to getting caught up in the hype of "new DB" but once I came down from that it all changed. Same as you said with the manga, too, took the words out of my mouth. Even the stuff I liked I've soured on recently. I watched DBS once and will probably never go back to it, and especially won't buy the DVDs. If it weren't for the modern games throwing the DBS stuff in, I'd probably wipe it from my mind completely. I breathed a sigh of relief when it ended and can't help but be happy every day we don't have news on its "inevitable" return.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Ironically, I think the point when I was most enthusiastic about Super was after I had just watched episode 131. I remembered being pretty satisfied with the ending, and I think I sort of let it cloud my judgement on the Universe Survival arc as a whole.

Anyway, I stopped keeping track of the current manga arc. It just couldn’t hold my interest, and it’s been going on for what feels like an eternity, just like the anime version of the Universe Survival arc. At this point, I’m willing to accept another movie or two, but that would be it for me. I can’t get bring myself to get excited for more episodes.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm I admit to getting caught up in the hype of "new DB" but once I came down from that it all changed.
I think everyone did, which is normal for something that's been away for so long. Once people are over the hype though, and start analyzing the product without that excitement, you start seeing flaws that you may have overlooked the first time around.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 pm

I don't mind the writing but it's not surprising modern stuff doesn't have the staying power of DB at its height. It's several hundred episodes in. It's hardly surprising that later stuff just isn't as memorable or isn't held in the same regard. That and the series long since passed its logical conclusion. How many revivals can you name that worked well? Very few I'd bet.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm I think Yamu deserved a fight. Considering he was smarter of the two, it would be nice to see his fighting style combined with Majin power. Maybe against Krillin in the World Tournament at least.

Come to think of it, I don't even remember who he was supposed to fight before it got interrupted.
Krillin would slap Yamu silly.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:30 pm

They should retell everything without using Toriyama art style, and remove Goku just after Frieza battle.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 am

ABED wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 pm I don't mind the writing but it's not surprising modern stuff doesn't have the staying power of DB at its height. It's several hundred episodes in. It's hardly surprising that later stuff just isn't as memorable or isn't held in the same regard. That and the series long since passed its logical conclusion. How many revivals can you name that worked well? Very few I'd bet.
Battlestar Galactica.
Samurai Jack.
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 am

BSG was a reboot. I wanna see Samurai Jack, but Star Trek bores me to tears, so I'll take your word for that one.

Just keep in mind I said "very few" not none.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri May 01, 2020 9:44 am

Plus Samurai Jack was revived for the sole purpose of giving the series a proper conclusion. Dragon Ball had that, TWICE, both with the end of the Manga and GT.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 am
ABED wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 pm I don't mind the writing but it's not surprising modern stuff doesn't have the staying power of DB at its height. It's several hundred episodes in. It's hardly surprising that later stuff just isn't as memorable or isn't held in the same regard. That and the series long since passed its logical conclusion. How many revivals can you name that worked well? Very few I'd bet.
Samurai Jack.
Samurai Jack's ending was a rushed mess.

An unpopular opinion of mine, actually i'm not sure if this is unpopular or but I will say it anyway, is that some of the "fodder" characters in the ToP were far more intersting than Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo or Kefla, because they had unique and interesting abilities. I'm talking about Cocotte, Bergamo, Lavender, Dercori and Ganos. These guys should have lasted a lot longer and get more screentime. I also hate how Toyotaro didn't have their abilities in his manga.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 am
Samurai Jack.

An unpopular opinion of mine, actually i'm not sure if this is unpopular or but I will say it anyway, is that some of the "fodder" characters in the ToP were far more intersting than Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo or Kefla, because they had unique and interesting abilities. I'm talking about Cocotte, Bergamo, Lavender, Dercori and Ganos. These guys should have lasted a lot longer and get more screentime. I also hate how Toyotaro didn't have their abilities in his manga.
I had to look up who Dercori and Ganos were because I had completely forgotten who they were. Dercori was fodder for a reason. Theres 80 characters (far too many) and the screentime was stretched too thin between them anyway. I think having them go out quickly was fine. But I agree Bergamo and his brothers should have lasted longer.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm I had to look up who Dercori and Ganos were because I had completely forgotten who they were. Dercori was fodder for a reason. Theres 80 characters (far too many) and the screentime was stretched too thin between them anyway. I think having them go out quickly was fine. But I agree Bergamo and his brothers should have lasted longer.
Dercori and Ganos were far more interesting than Jiren or any of the other "top dogs" (that aren't from Universe 7 or Hit) with the exception of maybe Anilaza. Ganos had the ability to become stronger the more he fights, while Dercori had an unique way of fighting with her talismans and illusions. Making them fodders for Roshi was a terrible decision if you ask me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:17 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 am
Samurai Jack.

SJ's ending may have been rushed and imperfect, but with that said i'm just glad we even got a final season considering 13 years came and went before Tartakovsky was finally able to make it happen when the fans had nearly given up all hope that the show would ever receive the proper conclusion it should've had back in 2004.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm I had to look up who Dercori and Ganos were because I had completely forgotten who they were. Dercori was fodder for a reason. Theres 80 characters (far too many) and the screentime was stretched too thin between them anyway. I think having them go out quickly was fine. But I agree Bergamo and his brothers should have lasted longer.
Dercori and Ganos were far more interesting than Jiren or any of the other "top dogs" (that aren't from Universe 7 or Hit) with the exception of maybe Anilaza. Ganos had the ability to become stronger the more he fights, while Dercori had an unique way of fighting with her talismans and illusions. Making them fodders for Roshi was a terrible decision if you ask me.
Universe 4 in general was a wasted opportunity. They could’ve served as an interesting contrast to Universe 11, in that they’re a bunch of relatively weak fighters who rely primarily on underhanded tactics in order to win, as opposed to Jiren, who’s all about brute strength. Plus, Quitela was set up as something of an antagonist early on, and the manga even established a rivalry between him and Beerus.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:55 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Watching paint dry is more interesting than Jiren absolutely.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:15 pm

ABED wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 am BSG was a reboot. I wanna see Samurai Jack, but Star Trek bores me to tears, so I'll take your word for that one.

Just keep in mind I said "very few" not none.
I haven't watched much of Star Trek myself, just a few episodes on best-of lists (almost all TNG). They were good, but I can't see myself burning hours upon hours on the soap opera shit in between these apparent highlights. I just listed TNG both because I liked the episodes I did see and because whenever I hear anyone bring up a Star Trek episode of apparent artistic value, it'll almost invariably be a TNG episode (plus the occasional DS9 episode).

Yeah I know, me only listing three was supposed to emphasize how few there are.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 am

Here's an unpopular opinion - big bads don't need a good backstory or be multidimensional. Sometimes serving a functional purpose in the story and doing it well is more than enough. What I'm getting at is I liked Jiren. He's not great, but he's a good ultimate antagonist.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 02, 2020 2:23 pm

This probably not unpopular, but I feel like to share it:

I would enjoy ToP more if the tournament format was like the Dark Tournament arc from YuYu Haksuho, this is having 10 vs. 10 people matches, that could be changed to either 2 vs. 2, 5 vs. 5 or 1 vs. 10 if the universes feel like it. That could explore the characters better and Jiren defeating a whole universe team by himself, would be much more hype for his character.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?