Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm Is it an unpopular opinion to think that the Big Gete Star is actually kind of neat?
Yeah, I like the Big Gete Star. I'm not sure that movie would have worked without it. I think that Funimation should have gone with "Big Gete Star" over "Return Of Cooler" for their title.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:27 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm Is it an unpopular opinion to think that the Big Gete Star is actually kind of neat?
Yeah, I like the Big Gete Star. I'm not sure that movie would have worked without it. I think that Funimation should have gone with "Big Gete Star" over "Return Of Cooler" for their title.
I don't think people hate the idea of the big gete star. They hate the silly way that it incorporates Cooler. If the move invented a totally new villain or used Hatchiyak and reworked his character around the big gete star, not many people I think would dog on it so hard.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 pm
I don't think people hate the idea of the big gete star. They hate the silly way that it incorporates Cooler. If the move invented a totally new villain or used Hatchiyak and reworked his character around the big gete star, not many people I think would dog on it so hard.
It is somewhat random to tie a character like Cooler to a planet eating machine, but if Toei insisted on bringing Cooler back, I at least like that they did something different with him. I’d even argue that it helped set the character apart from Freeza, despite the “Freeza did it” jokes. That’s the major problem I always had with Movie 10. It brought Broly back, but it didn’t do anything new or interesting with him.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 pm

It is somewhat random to tie a character like Cooler to a planet eating machine, but if Toei insisted on bringing Cooler back, I at least like that they did something different with him. I’d even argue that it helped set the character apart from Freeza, despite the “Freeza did it” jokes. That’s the major problem I always had with Movie 10. It brought Broly back, but it didn’t do anything new or interesting with him.
Sure but I still think they were better off saving big gete star for its own plot.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:41 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:21 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:15 am - Much of the current new found love for GT among much of the fandom is largely driven by resentment/contempt for Super, not because GT is as good as they think it is.
I think that comes down to how some people's expectations change with time. As a kid I didn't love GT as much as Z because I loved the fights and I didn't like stronger characters not having as much to do in the conflict. Nowadays I appreciate the progression GT gave us with things like Vegeta moving on from wanting to best Goku, only wanting to surpass his limits and protect his family after seeing Super rehash said arc (although its not as strong this time since the original point of him being bitter over a low class warrior like Goku achieving Super Saiyan before him is gone).

I still enjoy Super and as a kid I would have adored it, but things like this make it more of a guilty pleasure as it's clear that GT put in more effort to experiment and take the story in new directions.

Tokunaga's score also blows Sumitomo out of the water any time any day.
This so much.

Is like people don't understand that his "new found love" for GT is not nostalgia for growing up the series and yes because rewatching nowadays we could perceive these things better than when we were kids. The whole thing about Vegeta character, GT nails much better considering it's same after the battle vs. Kid Boo than Super having him the freaking episode two throwing all that in the trash can.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 pm

ABED wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm Yeah but it had more variety to me. Scenery was changing, Buu was changing (and not just visually) and main protagonists fighting were changing, so i didn't feel bored watching it. For Frieza saga, you see the same scenery which gets boring after time. It was the same for tournament of power, even worse. Frieza saga simply felt very slow to me. The tension of Frieza being somewhere around all the time was great though, you never knew when characters meet him.
I did feel bored by it. It takes forever to get going, and somehow manages to feel like it's dragging while simultaneously rushing towards the finish line. Toriyama keeps throwing shit at a wall and so little of it sticks. By the time Buu dies it's like "jesus, finally" whereas with Freeza, it felt like a cathartic fitting end.
There's a good entry for Toriyama under the TVTropes page "Achievement in Ignorance"(where someone succeeds at something by complete accident) which says that when he started doing Manga he didn't bother doing any research on what the general "tricks of the trade" were and didn't look up what was popular, he just basically wrote about whatever the hell he felt like writing about and by some miracle it turned out to be a massive hit, and since he became succesful in spite of not really knowing what he was doing, it made sense why he continued writing the way he did-cause he knew there was a better then decent chance it was going to sell well regardless of what he wrote, so he might as hell write whatever he wanted, and for better or worse that's how we ended up with the Buu saga.
Scsigs wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm
Locust wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 am I don't know how unpopular some of these are but hey ho -

* I don't like that Nozawa voices so many of Goku's relatives/Goku-a-likes, as much as I enjoy her performances. For younger Goten/Gohan it's not so bad, but certainly for Bardock and Tullece - I wish they had chosen different voice actors
* I absolutely find the Android/Cell arc boring as hell
* Broly in the original first film he featured in, was a fine character, for the purpose he served - I don't get the hate
* I like the Bio-Broly movie. It's complete dogshit of course, not a good film - but it does scratch the primal itch I have for shity shlocky B-list horror movies

This is really more an unpopular opinion of a Dragon Ball fandom thing than a series thing but -
I see a lot of (usually Western, I have observed) fans really, really having kneejerk reactions to malexmale pairings and yaoi. It's fine if they are not your thing, but the way some people react is ... like you threw acid on them
I have never seen any other fanbase react quite like that, most other fandoms, it's just accepted as "yep, this is a section of fanwork that exists, I'll just ignore it since I'm not into it"
It's just a little odd to me, this reactions
The first, I agree with & have stated as well multiple times. Most of the counter-arguments I've heard don't even make sense either. It might be that I don't even consider Nozawa the ideal adult Goku, even in Japanese. I'm sorry, but I just don't feel it. I respect her as a person Toriyama helped cast & she's a trooper with continuing the role for almost 40 years, but I just don't get it. Doesn't help that Super is the most exposure I have to her Goku & Super's scripts & characterizations are...awful when it comes to Goku's lines.
I'll add real quick that I don't think Sean Schemmel is exactly the ideal English Goku, as he doesn't nail Goku's more childish side when he tries to influence Nozawa's more high-pitched take for the comedy, but he wasn't casted for that aspect of the character back in '99, so I cut him some slack there. To keep Nozawa on as Gohan & Goten, especially as teens & adults, I feel, is pushing it, while Bardock & Turles is overkill. Bardock I can at least accept when it's a spin-off thing just with him. Turles, though, no.
All that being said, I absolutely love Nozawa's Goku Black. She's more reserved, in control, & I can feel the menace she has in her voice before it. The only time I feel Schemmel gets even close to emulating that performance (when he's not doing the dumbfuck inconsistent British accent for no reason in SSR), is in one of the later XV2 DLCs after his performance in Super set a better standard for him to act as for Goku Black. Future games that cover that content, or at least feature Goku Black are gonna have a much better Goku Black performance in English than XV2's inconsistent mess.
Agreed, I respect the hell out of her, but a grown man being voiced by a woman well never not sound weird to me(woman voicing young boys like Gohan and all the boys in shows like The Simpsons on the other hand i'm fine with) and the opposite is true too, women that are voiced by dudes also sounds super weird(that's one reason why i've never been able to get into Bob's Burgers, i'm sorry but there's no good reason why Tina and Linda could not not have been voiced by female VAs) maybe i'd feel different if my first exposure to DBZ was the original version, but my years of watching Toonami have trained me to expect Goku to sound like a dude, and there's no beating Schemmel's epic yelling.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 am

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 pm
ABED wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm Yeah but it had more variety to me. Scenery was changing, Buu was changing (and not just visually) and main protagonists fighting were changing, so i didn't feel bored watching it. For Frieza saga, you see the same scenery which gets boring after time. It was the same for tournament of power, even worse. Frieza saga simply felt very slow to me. The tension of Frieza being somewhere around all the time was great though, you never knew when characters meet him.
I did feel bored by it. It takes forever to get going, and somehow manages to feel like it's dragging while simultaneously rushing towards the finish line. Toriyama keeps throwing shit at a wall and so little of it sticks. By the time Buu dies it's like "jesus, finally" whereas with Freeza, it felt like a cathartic fitting end.
There's a good entry for Toriyama under the TVTropes page "Achievement in Ignorance"(where someone succeeds at something by complete accident) which says that when he started doing Manga he didn't bother doing any research on what the general "tricks of the trade" were and didn't look up what was popular, he just basically wrote about whatever the hell he felt like writing about and by some miracle it turned out to be a massive hit, and since he became succesful in spite of not really knowing what he was doing, it made sense why he continued writing the way he did-cause he knew there was a better then decent chance it was going to sell well regardless of what he wrote, so he might as hell write whatever he wanted, and for better or worse that's how we ended up with the Buu saga.
There's the adage from William Goldman that "nobody knows anything" meaning know one in Hollywood knows what will work or be popular. At best we know what WAS popular. Sometime during the first arc, I think, one of Toriyama's editors (i think it was it an editor) told him his Journey to the West parody wasn't selling but action stories were selling so maybe go in that direction.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kaywayk

Post by Kaywayk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm

As time goes on, the more I dislike that the new saiyan character in DBS Broly was... called Broly.

It just feels like such a cheap marketing stunt, almost like they were "baiting" the kind of fans who dismiss anything not written by Toriyama: "Oh you liked the old Broly, well this new one is canon!!" Because that makes it automatically better somehow? I guess he is better written, but then again he stars in a hour and a half long theatrical release rather than a 40-something minute glorified OVA.

They could have named him literally anything else and it would have a much more positive impact on the character; as it stands he'll always be known as the "New Broly" rather than his own thing, and now games and merch are forced to waste roster space on two Brolys when previously one was enough. Because surprise surprise, fans don't stop caring about something when a newer shinier canonier version is available.

Change his name, take away his shirtless green form (which had no explanation and didn't contribute anything to the plot besides a visual throwback btw) and he could stand on his own two meaty legs as a solid addition to modern Dragonball. Sure, his back story would still have similarities to Z Broly, but it's not like Toriyama hasn't used similar ideas to Toei's stuff before: after seeing Coola, Freeza's brother out for vengeance, we see King Cold, Freeza's father out for vengeance (with Freeza himself in tow, sure, but still); after Toei introduces Dai Kaio, a God above all known gods, Toriyama introduces Kaioshin, a God above all known gods; Toei has brought Freeza back multiple times, so has Toriyama. It really wouldn't be out of place, at most they'd have to change a few details.

I feel similarly about Bardock in that film, completely unnecessary addition that's only there to override previous works for no good reason. Why not have both the special and minus co-exist? Then fans can pick whichever they like more; it's not like Bardock has any impact on the story anyway, remove his cameo from the manga and you could read the thing never knowing he existed.

Out of all three "canonized" characters, Gogeta is really the only one that works, if only because well... He doesn't override anything.

I guess that's my point here, really; that overriding previous works just for the sake of having a "canon" version of events is dumb. I'm not saying the movies need to be integrated into the timeline or anything (god knows that's a debate I don't want), but I don't think Toriyama or Toei should go out of their way to contradict or erase them like they did in DBS Broly.

I don't dislike the DBS Broly movie btw. People can say there's "no canon in dragonball" all they want but clearly some works and authors are being held in higher regard than others.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 am

Kaywayk wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pmThey could have named him literally anything else and it would have a much more positive impact on the character; as it stands he'll always be known as the "New Broly" rather than his own thing.
This is a problem with modern DB as a whole. Instead of doing its own thing and separating itself from what came before, it's stuck trying to copy what Z did back in its day, resulting in a product that's more or less a cheap copy of a far superior one.

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 am

Except for the Namek saga, I have absolutely no problem with DBZ pacing. I am perfectly fine with it.
And I can't understand in the slightest why the pacing is criticized so often.
I think this is a rather unpopular opinion.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 am

I'd actually be ok with (another) live action movie

But only if it was created by Takashi Miike
He's the only one I would trust with such a task
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:51 am

Banduck wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 am Except for the Namek saga, I have absolutely no problem with DBZ pacing. I am perfectly fine with it.
I love you...r way of thinking! I cant stand shit like My Hero Academia and others whose pace has been praised as "brisk"-
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Banduck wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 am Except for the Namek saga, I have absolutely no problem with DBZ pacing. I am perfectly fine with it.
In the manga, yeah, it's perfectly fine. But the anime? Yeesh. Looking at basically any Western fansite for the Dragon Ball Z anime, Namek is still considered the pinnacle of the series by the majority, so I guess this opinion isn't that unpopular.

Honestly, I find the anime version of the arc pretty unbearable, barring the iconic moments.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 am
Kaywayk wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pmThey could have named him literally anything else and it would have a much more positive impact on the character; as it stands he'll always be known as the "New Broly" rather than his own thing.
This is a problem with modern DB as a whole. Instead of doing its own thing and separating itself from what came before, it's stuck trying to copy what Z did back in its day, resulting in a product that's more or less a cheap copy of a far superior one.
Agree with both statements 100%. Same could be said about Future Mai as well. Legit could have changed her name to Mei or even May and nothing would change. Plus that’s not even counting my feelings on the Pilaf Gang becoming a part of the cast, which is yet another point towards DBS being motivated by nostalgia and callbacks

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Locust wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:45 am I don't know how unpopular some of these are but hey ho -

* I don't like that Nozawa voices so many of Goku's relatives/Goku-a-likes, as much as I enjoy her performances. For younger Goten/Gohan it's not so bad, but certainly for Bardock and Tullece - I wish they had chosen different voice actors
Funnily enough, I understand why they did it with Bardock more, even though I like it less. Father of Goku was unlike anything else there had been in the series with a completely different cast of characters, so having Nozawa there as Bardock helped provide the link between it and the main story. That being said, here's this character who looks like Goku in a special about Goku's dad, did they really think people wouldn't get it unless he also had Goku's voice?

Whereas with Gohan, I don't see the need to have done it. Goku was still there and Gohan was distinct as a character from him, he could have been voiced by a different person and it would have been fine. All it did was create this precedent where every relative of Goku had to have his voice. It's a great credit to Nozawa that she managed to make them all distinct from each other, but it's still unfair on her to have to voice all these characters, especially now she's still doing it in her eighties.

For the same reason, I don't think Rysuei Nakao should have voiced all Freeza's relatives either. Chilled I sort of get for the same principle as Bardock, but definitely not Cooler or Frost. I think the English dub is generally better about not recycling actors the way the Japanese version does, early days with Chris Sabat notwithstanding.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:20 am

I’ve come to be more understanding of the logic behind having Masako Nozawa voicing all of Goku’s main relatives besides Raditz, but I definitely don’t think there was a need to have Ryūsei Nakao as Cooler and Frost. Nakao is great as Freeza, and while I realize that there are subtle differences in his performances between these characters, you can still tell it’s the same person doing the voice. I suppose it’s less of a problem with Frost, since he’s a minor character anyway, but for Cooler, it very much contributes to the idea that he’s basically just a Freeza clone.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:37 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pmPlus that’s not even counting my feelings on the Pilaf Gang becoming a part of the cast, which is yet another point towards DBS being motivated by nostalgia and callbacks
I understand their inclusion in BOG, as that was written as a kind of reunion story, but it should've stopped there.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:50 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Whereas with Gohan, I don't see the need to have done it. Goku was still there and Gohan was distinct as a character from him, he could have been voiced by a different person and it would have been fine
To be fair, as far as I can tell , it seems pretty common amongst most dubs for Goku and Gohan to share a voice actress as a child. The original Japanese version just keeps the same actress when they’re teens/adults.

I do think Gohan should have gotten a new, male, voice actor when he turned 16.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:37 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pmPlus that’s not even counting my feelings on the Pilaf Gang becoming a part of the cast, which is yet another point towards DBS being motivated by nostalgia and callbacks
I understand their inclusion in BOG, as that was written as a kind of reunion story, but it should've stopped there.
I can agree with that. Only change I would make in that regard is not have them be children. Modern DB as a whole should’ve stopped after BoG in my opinion

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 amI can agree with that. Only change I would make in that regard is not have them be children.

Modern DB as a whole should’ve stopped after BoG in my opinion
I'd also take out the pointless Trunka and Mai romance.

I've been saying this forever, as BOG works perfectly as a conclusion rather than a beginning.