Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:51 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 pm Toei seems to love Pedolove.
"It's Samuel my long lost brother!" :sick:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:57 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:21 pm I mean the writers of GT seemed not to be aware of Pan and Bra’s age the way they dressed and wrote them in the series either
Toriyama designed them both as he did most of the good guy's cast post timeskip

Pan's outfit is meant to show her tomboyish nature and 90's feel, while Bra shows that she's rich and spoiled? I guess.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:57 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:21 pm I mean the writers of GT seemed not to be aware of Pan and Bra’s age the way they dressed and wrote them in the series either
Toriyama designed them both as he did most of the good guy's cast post timeskip

Pan's outfit is meant to show her tomboyish nature and 90's feel, while Bra shows that she's rich and spoiled? I guess.

That’s just the design. The writing was down to the GT writers which was also a bit strange for two young girls. In one scene you have older men hit on Bra who is supposed to be a 9 year old girl

Also they could have questioned Toriyama’s designs and say they are meant to be 9 and 10. Pan’s design isn’t as bad as Bra’s but it still a bit much for a young girl.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 am

Perhaps this is why Funimation is decided to have GT take place 10 years after Z’s 10 years later epilogue.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 am

Kinokima wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 am Also they could have questioned Toriyama’s designs and say they are meant to be 9 and 10. Pan’s design isn’t as bad as Bra’s but it still a bit much for a young girl.
I mean, Chi Chi wore what is essentially a bikini and a cape, so it isn't the first time...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 am

I don't think a bikini on a twelve year old is a huge deal. She's warrior-royalty, not hanging out at the boardwalk.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:10 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 am I don't think a bikini on a twelve year old is a huge deal. She's warrior-royalty, not hanging out at the boardwalk.
Nothing says protection in battle like having your stomach, legs, and cleavage exposed

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 am
Kinokima wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 am Also they could have questioned Toriyama’s designs and say they are meant to be 9 and 10. Pan’s design isn’t as bad as Bra’s but it still a bit much for a young girl.
I mean, Chi Chi wore what is essentially a bikini and a cape, so it isn't the first time...
I mean there is a lot of disturbing things in DB too not going to disagree with you there

And then Toriyama wrote Lady Red which has rape humor

I love Dragon Ball but there are tons of questionable things about it

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm

i mean honestly pan's gt design is mostly bad just due to how aggressively 90s it is (same with trunks' gt design). but like all of my 4 sisters had worn similar clothes when they were like 12 and most of their friends did to, so given how many anime are...you know... about that stuff, i don't think it's especially bad or anything, even if 9 years old is stretching it. how she's presented thru out the show and some of the humor with her though, yeah that's gross.

and then bra's gt design is just ridiculous lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm i mean honestly pan's gt design is mostly bad just due to how aggressively 90s it is (same with trunks' gt design).
Well GT was made in 90s.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 pm

I’m just going to point out that unlike teenage Bulma, Bra in GT is explicitly drawn with a flat chest, so I’m pretty sure Toriyama was aware that she’s supposed to be a child when when he designed her.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm
Well GT was made in 90s.
well....yeaha. it's just weird how contemporary gt feels (pan and trunks basically have jnco shorts) compared to the original manga, at least from what i can remember. not that that's a bad thing, i love jorts, it just adds a little dissonance to the orig series that i think a lot of gt has.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm
Well GT was made in 90s.
well....yeaha. it's just weird how contemporary gt feels (pan and trunks basically have jnco shorts) compared to the original manga, at least from what i can remember. not that that's a bad thing, i love jorts, it just adds a little dissonance to the orig series that i think a lot of gt has.
Eh 17 and 18’s outfit seem pretty 90s. A lot of Bulma’s hairstyles invoked the 80s/90s. Roshi getting off to aerobics tapes is incredibly 80s.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 am Yeah Yajirobe could easily be an "untrained fighter". Meaning that he was self-taught, no master necessary. He can do the things he does through a combination of inborn talent and real life training and experience in the wilderness. The guy certainly has been in some tough situations during his life, that's for sure. I doubt he ever was a Ki user though.
Nope, that’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the DBZ universe works there.

You’re right in that Yajirobe could be self-taught with the katana, but if he’s keeping up with King Piccolo Daimao arc characters (able to perceive their movements and deal out damage) he’s definitely a Ki user - which means he definitely had a master at some point.

In Dragonball, normal humans can’t perform superhuman feats like Yajirobe’s without being enhanced by Ki - Ki is apart of everything and is basically the bread and butter for anyone Son Goku would be impressed by at least the 21st Budokai time period.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm

In Brightest Day wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 am Yeah Yajirobe could easily be an "untrained fighter". Meaning that he was self-taught, no master necessary. He can do the things he does through a combination of inborn talent and real life training and experience in the wilderness. The guy certainly has been in some tough situations during his life, that's for sure. I doubt he ever was a Ki user though.
Nope, that’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the DBZ universe works there.

You’re right in that Yajirobe could be self-taught with the katana, but if he’s keeping up with King Piccolo Daimao arc characters (able to perceive their movements and deal out damage) he’s definitely a Ki user - which means he definitely had a master at some point.

In Dragonball, normal humans can’t perform superhuman feats like Yajirobe’s without being enhanced by Ki - Ki is apart of everything and is basically the bread and butter for anyone Son Goku would be impressed by at least the 21st Budokai time period.
I think all that's really meant by that part of MyVisionity's statement is that the extent to which Yajirobe is shown to be able to use his ki is not proven to include such methods as manipulating it into more advanced attacks of the 'ki bullet' variety (or other techniques of this ilk), such that it might reasonably be doubted that he can.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm
In Brightest Day wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm

I think all that's really meant by that part of MyVisionity's statement is that the extent to which Yajirobe is shown to be able to use his ki is not proven to include such methods as manipulating it into more advanced attacks of the 'ki bullet' variety (or other techniques of this ilk), such that it might reasonably be doubted that he can.
Oh, definitely. Even by the early Android arc, we see Yajirobe still hasn’t even learned Bukujutsu, unlike most of the main cast, so it’s probably fair to assume he hasn’t developed any Ki attacks either.

With that said, he’s definitely using Ki to enhance his movements, durability, etc.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm

Moro (OG73 absorbed) is Moro best design.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm Moro (OG73 absorbed) is Moro best design.
Care to explain why?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm Moro (OG73 absorbed) is Moro best design.
Care to explain why?
Honestly there's nothing much to say besides thinking that was when he looked the best for me. If I had to rate his designs, I would say Moro (OG73 absorbed) > Young Moro > Old Moro .
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm

honestly as much as i love the original cast, i've really started to take a dislike to turu furya as a VA and as a result, i really don't like his yamcha anymore. having heard all of his really iconic roles besides seiya, all of them sound the same! like not in the sense that i can tell it's him, just in the sense that they all sound like the same characters. sure his voice is higher for like amuro ray but that's like the only difference. like there's plenty of japanese voice actors who have a super memorable voice but i can still tell you what makes their performances different, to keep it in db, nozawa and her roles is a perfect example of that. but whenever i hear furu's yamcha, i just hear his tuxedo mask (who honestly suffers the most from this), when i hear his tuxedo mask, i just hear his amuro ray, when i hear his amuro ray, i just hear his kid from kimagure orange road, and so on.

he's a great singer and legend though so...all the respect to him.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸