Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:46 pm

SSJ_Ninjago wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:18 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm
SSJ_Ninjago wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:55 pm Unpopular opinion: You actually can enjoy the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball without being a right wing devil or some kind of twisted monster.
Where do you folks keep coming from?

This is such a banal statement, too; you're in no brave oppressed minority here with that. We're far more concerned with the "actually blackface is OK?" whackjobs than a grown adult in a vacuum chuckling to themselves over an old man grabbing an ass or two.
See, this is literally the point I was making. You're acting as "us vs them" towards me. I have one comment here. I lurk. And you, as the admin and owner of this board, are making assertions that I'm on some form of opposing team to you.

I never mentioned anything to do with what you were or weren't concerned about, my main comment was concerning the attitude i saw you portray of "I don't like your opinion, and its because you're right-wing", which is just... what?

Why is it someone can't hold an opinion you don't agree with, without you immediately declaring they work for the other side, the same way you're acting here?

And before you say anything, I'm not thinking I'm some brave oppressed minority, I'm just pointing out your attitude is causing you to leap to conclusions about others and I just don't think that that is okay, especially for someone who is in charge. You should at least give the illusion of not letting your personal bias sink in.

It comes across far more as you being on a power trip than you putting some "silly right winger" in their place.

You can absolutely put a stop to things without making claims about peoples personal politics or beliefs.

For the record, by the way, I dont think blackface is okay, and I'm in no way a right winger, so please don't make assumptions on me based on the fact my comment essentially said "If someone likes something, don't assume their political positions or beliefs".

The most you can assume about someone saying "I'm fine with offensive comedy" is that they are fine with offensive comedy, nothing more.

And honestly, i think this will be my last comment here because, despite me talking about how wrong it is to assume, I'm going to assume how this will be responded to, and leave before I have to roll my eyes so hard at it.

Enjoy your very welcoming community.

PS. If my comment was so "banal", you wouldn't have taken the time to respond(and a decent moderator of any community would have, if it caused an issue, removed it instead of trying to provoke a response and look like you successfully put me in my place).
How did you get that from his post?

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Post by OmegaAlphaDelta123 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm
OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am I prefer Colleen Clickenbeard's voice acting to Stephanie Nadolny's as Kid/Teen Gohan
I guess that is an unpopular opinion in most DBZ circles but I think its pretty split down the middle here. I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan too. Though Saffron Henderson was my favorite by far as far as the English voices are concerned.
I like Henderson too. However, and I feel like this also might be an unpopular opinion, I think Lawrence Simpson/MasakoX had my all time favourite English performance as Kid Gohan, especially around Episode 60 of DBZA.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 am

OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm
OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am I prefer Colleen Clickenbeard's voice acting to Stephanie Nadolny's as Kid/Teen Gohan
I guess that is an unpopular opinion in most DBZ circles but I think its pretty split down the middle here. I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan too. Though Saffron Henderson was my favorite by far as far as the English voices are concerned.
I like Henderson too. However, and I feel like this also might be an unpopular opinion, I think Lawrence Simpson/MasakoX had my all time favourite English performance as Kid Gohan, especially around Episode 60 of DBZA.
So like
Do Abridged VAs really fit in a conversation about dub VAs? Since, yknow, they're not really official?
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Post by OmegaAlphaDelta123 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:06 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 am
OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:54 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm I guess that is an unpopular opinion in most DBZ circles but I think its pretty split down the middle here. I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan too. Though Saffron Henderson was my favorite by far as far as the English voices are concerned.
So like
Do Abridged VAs really fit in a conversation about dub VAs? Since, yknow, they're not really official?
I didn't know if we were specifically talking about dubs or what was official, so I included TFS Gohan in the conversation, specifically in the Cell Saga, where I believe TFS becomes less comedic.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:40 pm

I honestly, can't stand most Saiyans. Goku after the Frieza sage just grinds my nerves, Gohan is okay but his constant undeserved power ups are a constant reminder that people ARE okay with dumb power ups as long as it's for a character they like. I genuinely think Vegeta should have died on Namek and stayed dead; him having the whole anti-hero thing really works and once he gets to Earth it just the constant "Oooh damn you Kakarot" schtick until EoZ ( which both GT and Super resurrect because they don't know what to do with his character ). Future Trunks is alright, Super really ruins his character. Goten is a nothing character until GT in which he appears so little that it doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that "characters" like Gogeta and Vegito have always felt like Goku, but cocky.

My only exceptions are Future Gohan, as he's not a one-note character and isn't around long enough to be milked out of existence, and Bardock from Z. He acts like a Saiyan, and is written like one, kind of like pre-Android Saga Vegeta. I don't hate Nappa and Raditz, neutral at best I guess?

I'm not sure if it's just they way they're written now that has just left a bad taste for them in the earlier parts. Which is odd, because the first 20 or so minutes of Broly, where we're seeing the Saiyan Society, I think is one of the most interesting parts of the series, Paragus' and Beets' interactions are amazing, and seeing the hierarchy and culture is fascinating, it's a side of the franchise I wish we saw more.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 am

I don't like Cooler. Not at all. I simply don't see what's so good about him that fans really like him for. H's just Frieza's brother... and that's it, there isn't anuthing that I like about him. Most if not all movie villains are better than him. Not a big fan of his transfotmation either, but I can see ehy people like it. With that being said I actually like first Cooler movie, but I absolutely despice Coller's revenge.

I prefer original Broly than Super's.

I don't like Gohan vs Cell that much. Overall Goku vs Cell is much better fight.

I don't know if it's unpopular here, but I think it is since I see people wanting that all the time. Adding any movie villain to new dbs movie, or give them arc is just stupid and shows that most people don't care about anything other than fan service. Bringing back old villains would suck up the 3 grains of originality that Super may potentially have.

I like DBZ English dub more than original(from lurking somewhat on the forum I think it is unpopular). And no I t's not nostalgia, first time I actually watched Dragon Ball was in 2018. I think voiced suit charactera much better in dub and voice acting while lacking behind, doesn't bother me.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:22 pm

WKZ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 am I prefer original Broly than Super's.
Could I ask you to expand on this one? Not that I think you're wrong or anything, but I'm pretty interested in this.

I think Z Broly better represents what a "Saiyan" was supposed to be back in Z, brute force and overwhelming power. His design is pretty cool, but the story for him falls so flat.

Super Broly, while a much more interesting character, doesn't have that kind of mystique about him, he's just a... really strong Saiyan. I'm kind of sad Paragus was killed off so quickly, it would've been kind of cool to have a more intricate story about Broly overcoming the boundaries set by his father.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Post by OmegaAlphaDelta123 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:17 am

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:40 pm Gohan is okay but his constant undeserved power ups are a constant reminder that people ARE okay with dumb power ups as long as it's for a character they like. I genuinely think Vegeta should have died on Namek and stayed dead; him having the whole anti-hero thing really works and once he gets to Earth it just the constant "Oooh damn you Kakarot" schtick until EoZ ( which both GT and Super resurrect because they don't know what to do with his character ).
Dude, you're speaking my mind on this! If I could make the human characters like Krillin, Yamcha and Tenshinhan relevant while removing Vegeta from the story, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Namek Saga Vegeta was by far him at his most interesting, after he was revived, Toriyama had to completely assassinate Yamcha's character to justify Bulma sleeping with a person she should by all rights despise. After that, he just becomes a blithering idiot whose Saiyan pride is nothing more than an excuse to move the plot forward and acts nothing like his pragmatic Freeza Saga self! Post Freeza Saga DBZ Vegeta is by far the most overrated character in the series and it's not even close. If I were any of the Z-Fighters, after he let Cell become perfect, I'd frankly deny Vegeta any Senzu Beans and tell him to fuck himself because he should have destroyed all trust that he'd be useful for the Cell Games and not a wildcard. He actively made himself more useless than Chiaotzu.

Also, it really pisses me off how a lot of fans have invented this idea that Vegeta 'works the hardest' in the series when Goku not only works just as hard, but is a smarter strategist. Vegeta's training tends to be just bashing his head against a brick wall until he ascends (see ASSJ) while Goku actually takes tips and pointers from teachers like Roshi and King Kai. Some people see trying to learn without a teacher as badass, but I just see it as dumb. Also, Vegeta is literally introduced in the series as above Goku, metaphorically and literally, so this idea that Vegeta is somehow an underdog is at odds with Goku's story.

Also, I don't know how unpopular this opinion is in non-TFS circles but at least in Z, Vegeta is in no way a better father than Goku. Goku lovingly raised Gohan in a time of peace, then sacrificed his life for him, was always trying his best to defend him, trained him to get him strong enough to fight Cell, sacrificed his life for him AGAIN, teleported back from the dead to save him, (if you count Bojack Unbound) has always told Gohan that he's proud of him, treated Goten as a member of his own family despite only just meeting the kid and became nearly more furious than he ever had in his life when Black told him he'd killed Goten. Sure, he's dead and off-world at times, but calling him a bad father for that is like calling an Army soldier who's fighting for his family while spending time away from them to be free a bad father. He does it not just to train, but to protect his friends and family. Even his worst action as a father, sending Gohan to fight a Senzu Beaned Cell could at least be justified with the fact that he believed in his son like all good fathers would, even if the action itself was still terrible.

Meanwhile, Vegeta has been physically abusive to Future Trunks when he gets in his way, left his son to go train in the sole motivation of growing stronger, from what he said when about to sacrifice himself against Buu, never even hugged Trunks once in the seven year timeskip and seemed like a deadbeat dad who was only focused on training to get SSJ2. There are only a few good moments he has in Z, like flying into a rage when Cell killed Trunks and the aforementioned first hug, but Goku in Z was a consistently better father throughout the series. In Super, whose anime somewhat seems to be influenced by TFS, it's a different story.

Oh yeah, and the only time when I think that "VeGeTa DeSeRvEd A w." was when he failed to kill Golden Freeza. Any time someone brings up why Vegeta deserved to kill Cell or Buu, I want to scream that Vegeta was the reason why those villains were able to come about in the first place. He didn't 'deserve' anything except that broken spine Cell gave him and I find all his beatdowns so satisfying to watch. If time was rewound for Vegeta to kill Cell in his second form, I'd feel just as irritated as Vegeta fanboys did when Whis rewound time so Goku could kill Freeza.

As for Gohan, as someone who thinks his SSJ2 transformation was the best and most iconic scene in the series, I find every plot thread of "Gohan stops training, then re-unlocks his latent potential." to be nothing more than a boring rehash of that scene with none of the plot threads that made it so special to begin with. These include his Ultimate transformation in the Buu Saga, his reawakening of Ultimate for the TOP and even the Final Gohan transformation in DBS: Super Hero, which I see as nothing more than a shameless cash grab of repeating the EXACT SAME SCENE to make people hyped. Back in the Cell Saga, Gohan's transformation against Cell was a massive moment that legitimately showed Gohan's growth up to that point that he legitimately fought for. Now it just seem like the higher-ups are going "Oh, let's just give Gohan a new form to shut his whiny fanboys up." There's no build up. People just scream for Gohan to be the 'BaDaSs' he was against Cell and Toei just gives it to them with none of the build up that came from SSJ2. It's infuriatingly repetitive!

I guess what I'm trying to say, as someone whose favorite character is Gohan. I want Gohan to be relevant, but I don't want him to do it by just rehashing the same plot point from 30 years ago over and over again. Give him SOMETHING original to do, because the potential unlock/anger plot thread has more than overstayed it's welcome. Have him write a book on ki, become Bulma's intern, unlock a new form through studying scientific principles, I don't care. Just don't keep rehashing worse versions of my favorite scene in the series to hype the nostalgia fanboys, please.

Oh yeah and while we're on the topic, Cell was my favorite villain in Dragon Ball and he should stay dead. He facilitated some amazing character growth and had one of the most epic deaths in all of Dragon Ball. Bringing him back would diminish that, just like it did Freeza. As annoyed as I am at Cell Max for not being original, I'm just glad they didn't bring back the original Cell to cash in on nostalgia even more.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:28 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:40 pm I honestly, can't stand most Saiyans. Goku after the Frieza sage just grinds my nerves, Gohan is okay but his constant undeserved power ups are a constant reminder that people ARE okay with dumb power ups as long as it's for a character they like. I genuinely think Vegeta should have died on Namek and stayed dead; him having the whole anti-hero thing really works and once he gets to Earth it just the constant "Oooh damn you Kakarot" schtick until EoZ ( which both GT and Super resurrect because they don't know what to do with his character ). Future Trunks is alright, Super really ruins his character. Goten is a nothing character until GT in which he appears so little that it doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that "characters" like Gogeta and Vegito have always felt like Goku, but cocky.

My only exceptions are Future Gohan, as he's not a one-note character and isn't around long enough to be milked out of existence, and Bardock from Z. He acts like a Saiyan, and is written like one, kind of like pre-Android Saga Vegeta. I don't hate Nappa and Raditz, neutral at best I guess?

I'm not sure if it's just they way they're written now that has just left a bad taste for them in the earlier parts. Which is odd, because the first 20 or so minutes of Broly, where we're seeing the Saiyan Society, I think is one of the most interesting parts of the series, Paragus' and Beets' interactions are amazing, and seeing the hierarchy and culture is fascinating, it's a side of the franchise I wish we saw more.
And despite all that, they are still far better and far more interesting and layered characters than pretty much the rest of the cast. The only truly interesting non-Saiyans are Bulma, Piccolo, Freeza, the cyborg twins, Roshi and some of the video game based characters like Android 21, Chronoa and the Demon Realm characters. Everyone else is either "meh", overrated (like Tien who's had nothing going for him as a character after the 22nd tournament arc) or worse.

Hell, even the U6 Saiyans are more interesting and entertaining than 80% most of the classic non-Saiyan cast. Vegito and Gogeta may be one-note, but at least they have actual charisma and charm and are always a highlight of anything they appear in.

And the constant complaints about the "alleged" regression of Vegeta post-Z are stupid because he never said that he didn't want to be the best/better than Goku anymore in the first place, and Super (both anime and manga) from day 1 made it clear that Goku isnt Vegeta's main priority anymore.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:05 pm

OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:17 am
Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:40 pm Gohan is okay but his constant undeserved power ups are a constant reminder that people ARE okay with dumb power ups as long as it's for a character they like. I genuinely think Vegeta should have died on Namek and stayed dead; him having the whole anti-hero thing really works and once he gets to Earth it just the constant "Oooh damn you Kakarot" schtick until EoZ ( which both GT and Super resurrect because they don't know what to do with his character ).
Dude, you're speaking my mind on this! If I could make the human characters like Krillin, Yamcha and Tenshinhan relevant while removing Vegeta from the story, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Namek Saga Vegeta was by far him at his most interesting, after he was revived, Toriyama had to completely assassinate Yamcha's character to justify Bulma sleeping with a person she should by all rights despise. After that, he just becomes a blithering idiot whose Saiyan pride is nothing more than an excuse to move the plot forward and acts nothing like his pragmatic Freeza Saga self! Post Freeza Saga DBZ Vegeta is by far the most overrated character in the series and it's not even close. If I were any of the Z-Fighters, after he let Cell become perfect, I'd frankly deny Vegeta any Senzu Beans and tell him to fuck himself because he should have destroyed all trust that he'd be useful for the Cell Games and not a wildcard. He actively made himself more useless than Chiaotzu.

Also, it really pisses me off how a lot of fans have invented this idea that Vegeta 'works the hardest' in the series when Goku not only works just as hard, but is a smarter strategist. Vegeta's training tends to be just bashing his head against a brick wall until he ascends (see ASSJ) while Goku actually takes tips and pointers from teachers like Roshi and King Kai. Some people see trying to learn without a teacher as badass, but I just see it as dumb. Also, Vegeta is literally introduced in the series as above Goku, metaphorically and literally, so this idea that Vegeta is somehow an underdog is at odds with Goku's story.

Also, I don't know how unpopular this opinion is in non-TFS circles but at least in Z, Vegeta is in no way a better father than Goku. Goku lovingly raised Gohan in a time of peace, then sacrificed his life for him, was always trying his best to defend him, trained him to get him strong enough to fight Cell, sacrificed his life for him AGAIN, teleported back from the dead to save him, (if you count Bojack Unbound) has always told Gohan that he's proud of him, treated Goten as a member of his own family despite only just meeting the kid and became nearly more furious than he ever had in his life when Black told him he'd killed Goten. Sure, he's dead and off-world at times, but calling him a bad father for that is like calling an Army soldier who's fighting for his family while spending time away from them to be free a bad father. He does it not just to train, but to protect his friends and family. Even his worst action as a father, sending Gohan to fight a Senzu Beaned Cell could at least be justified with the fact that he believed in his son like all good fathers would, even if the action itself was still terrible.

Meanwhile, Vegeta has been physically abusive to Future Trunks when he gets in his way, left his son to go train in the sole motivation of growing stronger, from what he said when about to sacrifice himself against Buu, never even hugged Trunks once in the seven year timeskip and seemed like a deadbeat dad who was only focused on training to get SSJ2. There are only a few good moments he has in Z, like flying into a rage when Cell killed Trunks and the aforementioned first hug, but Goku in Z was a consistently better father throughout the series. In Super, whose anime somewhat seems to be influenced by TFS, it's a different story.

Oh yeah, and the only time when I think that "VeGeTa DeSeRvEd A w." was when he failed to kill Golden Freeza. Any time someone brings up why Vegeta deserved to kill Cell or Buu, I want to scream that Vegeta was the reason why those villains were able to come about in the first place. He didn't 'deserve' anything except that broken spine Cell gave him and I find all his beatdowns so satisfying to watch. If time was rewound for Vegeta to kill Cell in his second form, I'd feel just as irritated as Vegeta fanboys did when Whis rewound time so Goku could kill Freeza.

As for Gohan, as someone who thinks his SSJ2 transformation was the best and most iconic scene in the series, I find every plot thread of "Gohan stops training, then re-unlocks his latent potential." to be nothing more than a boring rehash of that scene with none of the plot threads that made it so special to begin with. These include his Ultimate transformation in the Buu Saga, his reawakening of Ultimate for the TOP and even the Final Gohan transformation in DBS: Super Hero, which I see as nothing more than a shameless cash grab of repeating the EXACT SAME SCENE to make people hyped. Back in the Cell Saga, Gohan's transformation against Cell was a massive moment that legitimately showed Gohan's growth up to that point that he legitimately fought for. Now it just seem like the higher-ups are going "Oh, let's just give Gohan a new form to shut his whiny fanboys up." There's no build up. People just scream for Gohan to be the 'BaDaSs' he was against Cell and Toei just gives it to them with none of the build up that came from SSJ2. It's infuriatingly repetitive!

I guess what I'm trying to say, as someone whose favorite character is Gohan. I want Gohan to be relevant, but I don't want him to do it by just rehashing the same plot point from 30 years ago over and over again. Give him SOMETHING original to do, because the potential unlock/anger plot thread has more than overstayed it's welcome. Have him write a book on ki, become Bulma's intern, unlock a new form through studying scientific principles, I don't care. Just don't keep rehashing worse versions of my favorite scene in the series to hype the nostalgia fanboys, please.

Oh yeah and while we're on the topic, Cell was my favorite villain in Dragon Ball and he should stay dead. He facilitated some amazing character growth and had one of the most epic deaths in all of Dragon Ball. Bringing him back would diminish that, just like it did Freeza. As annoyed as I am at Cell Max for not being original, I'm just glad they didn't bring back the original Cell to cash in on nostalgia even more.
No offense, but you sound like a really butthurt Vegeta hater. First of all, Yamcha's character wasn't assassinated, he was always a memetic loser and a joke character even when he was a villain. 2nd, Bulma has a history with liking evil men and when she was with Yamcha she would constantly hit on other men even in front of him. 3rd, there was no actual shift in Vegeta's character after Namek. The reason why he acted pragmatic in Namek was because he was dealing with an army of fighters that he knows from the start that are stronger than him, which wasn't the case in every other arc including the Saiyan saga. Also, when other characters make stupid decisions in the show they get far less hate for it than Vegeta does, even though those other characters are actively going against their interests and goals in protecting the Earth while Vegeta (until the later half of the Buu saga) had zero interest or care in saving the world so he shouldn't have been expected to make responsible choices in the first place.

"VeGeTa OnLy ExIsT tO MoVe ThE pLoT fOrWaRd", that's what a character in a story is supposed to do lol, he is the only non-protagonist fighter beside Future Trunks who's actions actually matter and have any real consequences to them. The rest of the supporting cast most of the time could be removed from a Saga's plot and nothing would change, which is a massive red flag that suggests that they are a nothing character.

"Some people see trying to learn without a teacher as badass, but I just see it as dumb."

The fact that Vegeta got as far as he did without any mentor or outside help (Until he met Whis) is actually impressive, and it makes Goku look kind-of worse as a fighter for needing to be taught things that others learned on their own.

And no, TFS has zero influence on the DragonBall franchise. DBZ Abriged is just an obscure online parody series that's only known among North American fans, the vast majority of DB fans worldwide has never even heard of it, especially Japan. Hell, even most of the English dub voice actors never heard of DBZ Abriged until fans told them about it.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:34 pm
MrGohanks wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:50 pm
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Absolutely. I don’t blame people for falling into the trap of listening to TOEI/Toriyamas BS about official continuation, but ultimately they have no say by this point. Toriyama is such an unreliable source for any Dragon Ball information because he has forgotten just about every detail of his own series, and I don’t know why people always bow down to him for every retcon he states in an interview of puts into Dragon Ball Super.
Just because the creators and producers of a series says things about it that you don't like doesn't mean that they don't count, that's just your bias showing. They are the ones who determine what is what in DragonBall at the end of the day, and Toriyama hasn't forgotten nearly as much as you and many other fans think he has, especially when it comes to major elements of the story.

"Death of the Author" doesn't apply here. If Toriyama's and Toei's views on DragonBall don't matter then nobody else's does either.
Sorry but I don’t agree. Toriyama has essentially become a George Lucas and has forgotten everything that made his original story so great.
Toriyama hasn't forgotten nearly as much as you and most other fans think he has.

If Toriyama has no real say on DragonBall then no one else does either, including you.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Personally, I think fandom shouldn't be a competition where fans always need to dunk of orange juice because they think apple juice is better.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:05 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:22 pm
WKZ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 am I prefer original Broly than Super's.
Could I ask you to expand on this one?
Very well.
My reasoning is quite simple. A man who's being told in legends and being brute strenght, blinded in battle by rage guy is better as a villain rather than someone who ended up fighting you, because circumstances, and then being your training buddy. If they did Super Broly the same, except something happens in the fight that makes Broly hate Vegeta(or Goku but it'd make more logic to hate Vegeta in Super story, kill Paragus or something, idk) train more, prepare to fight him again, I'd say it would be better than the Broly we got.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm

I don't like the transformations and lot of character desings in Super. I kinda came to accept SSJ God...
but then SSJ Blue, Rose, Ultra Instinct, Beast Gohan, Golden Freeza.

I roll with it, but can't say I like it. Probably because I am old fart who really enjoyed the SSJ idea from Z and the more grounded look with not so much colors, where Bulma and Trunks' hair stood up as interesting.

I do like Orange Piccolo though... finally someone other than Saiyans and villains got proper look changing transformation and to me, it is like Piccolo going Super Saiyan.

I prefer and enjoy Dragon Ball GT more in general, than Dragon Ball Super up until the TOP arc.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:48 pm Personally, I think fandom shouldn't be a competition where fans always need to dunk of orange juice because they think apple juice is better.
I'd say there's a difference between dunking on something and dunking on someone who likes that thing.

It's counter-productive to say you have an issue with something and then not at least explain why you feel like that. Surely people should be able to express those ideas, even if it's only to offer a fresh perspective on it. So long as people remember that they're talking to other human beings, and it stays civil, just about everything should be dunked on. If only to challenge the ideas we have on those things.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:48 pm

The Moro and Granolah arcs aren’t worth bringing back the anime. They’re just really tedious and light on story, and if I were interested in seeing the anime come back, I would be pretty disappointed if that were what we would be stuck with for a good few dozen episodes.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 am

Another one. I think and believe that they should continue in making movies instead of a weekly series.
And I also believe that that's what will happen.

The anime ended with Broly and Super Hero being the sequels in this format, the manga goes quite different route and it is not taken in account as shown recently in the new movie, which pretty much referenced the whole saga, with focus on Red Ribbon and had some flashbacks from Tournament Of Power and is direct sequel to Broly.

As weird as it was, Super retold the Z movies and I kinda get the initial reason for it.
I can't imagine them retelling the Super movies for that matter plus adapting the manga arcs.
It would make it a slugfest with lower production quality to the movies, with 4 arcs, Broly, Moro, Granolah, Super Hero.
It will bring nothing new and has a chance of alienating the fanbase and make mess story-wise.

Therefore I am up for a movie sequels and if by any chance the series returns, I hope it brings in completely different story and not being labeled Super.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:21 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:48 pm The Moro and Granolah arcs aren’t worth bringing back the anime. They’re just really tedious and light on story, and if I were interested in seeing the anime come back, I would be pretty disappointed if that were what we would be stuck with for a good few dozen episodes.
The TV anime could always do significant rewrites of both sagas to improve them as stories. Basically, just have whoever co-wrote DBS Broly and Superhero with Toriyama rewrite the entire Moro and Granolah sagas for the anime version while staying as close to Toriyama's outline for them as possible.

DBS Broly and Superhero on the other hand don't need to be adapted for the TV anime since the movies themselves are perfectly canon and the TV anime versions of both BoG and RoF were considerably worse than their movie versions.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:20 am

MrGohanks wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:21 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:48 pm The Moro and Granolah arcs aren’t worth bringing back the anime. They’re just really tedious and light on story, and if I were interested in seeing the anime come back, I would be pretty disappointed if that were what we would be stuck with for a good few dozen episodes.
The TV anime could always do significant rewrites of both sagas to improve them as stories. Basically, just have whoever co-wrote DBS Broly and Superhero with Toriyama rewrite the entire Moro and Granolah sagas for the anime version while staying as close to Toriyama's outline for them as possible.

DBS Broly and Superhero on the other hand don't need to be adapted for the TV anime since the movies themselves are perfectly canon and the TV anime versions of both BoG and RoF were considerably worse than their movie versions.
That's the problem, they could and they can, but judging by what happened with Super and it's first arc, that is something I don't wanna go through again. It only created plotholes, didn't add anything of significance and not talking about the budget production quality of stressed out people.
Extended Cut of Battle Of Gods was brilliant... what we got from there was basically dragging the scenes longer with fights missing any choreography, from all the cool gags, they took out Oolong as stretched the rock, paper, scissors into whole episode and it was not funny at all. Changed the settings for boring cruise ship. Forgot to explain why Pilaf and his rooks are kids...
It was total s**tfest, sorry for the word.

I know that episode 5 was beaten to the death, but seeing badly drawn and badly animated kung-fu master Goku switching punches in one form after another looking like a drunk and wasted hero and Beerus just standing there for the whole episode? Wow.

Can you imagine them adapting Broly, that was basically visual extravaganza, showcase of the best TOEI can pull off in 2D animation into a weekly series? Unless heavily mixed with some sidestory or changing the plot a lot, I can't imagine watching this in weekly format.

I believe that if they chose to focus on the movies every few years now, that is for the best. Maybe I am old, but do I prefer some cool stuff from time to time, more so from a series with such a long standing and tons of content to enjoy already, over just filling up criteria of having Dragon Ball stuff every week as I personaly don't see the benefits.

Unless they pull off a proper TOEI fashion spin-off, which happened with Saint Seiya 2 times already, not counting OVAs like Lost Canvas and Santia Sho that were adapted from spin-off manga (Omega looks horrible in all aspects, Soul Of Gold is bland and you don't want that to happen to Dragon Ball as we already have GT! I think GT could have been really bad and thank god it isn't, Toriyama had some initial input at least, albeit minor, so it feels, looks and sounds like Dragon Ball and the story is honestly passable and some choices are interesting but they respect the DB formula.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:08 pm

MrGohanks wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:12 pm
GT is actually overall worse than a lot of fans remember. There's a good reason why it's reputation was so bad (especially among non-DB fans) in the first place.
Not really unpopular opinion because many people still feel the same way. GT may have a cult following, but it's still look down as the weakest series in the DB franchise. Many casual fans will still tell people to avoid it because it's "not canon". DBS may have its haters, but I do feel like most people do like it over GT. I see more casual fans that like Super a lot more than people give it credit for.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/