Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 am

Enough with the half-comment mini-modding, please. Either contribute to the actual discussion at hand or report specific posts that you feel do not represent the community rules.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 pm

ABED wrote:DBZguy, would you stop with your DBZ self loathing? It's getting obnoxious. It's the only thing you talk about. You apparently don't know why you like the series but take the time to come on to a forum of said show. If you don't actually like the series, fine, it ain't for everyone. However, if you do like it, then wouldn't your time be better spent talking more about the parts that you enjoy instead of stewing in a tub of negativity? There are plenty of shows I don't like, but I don't go on those forums to complain. If you like something that's not all that great "objectively" you can acknowledge its faults, but you should concentrate more on what you like about it. I enjoy Smallville and Power Rangers. Until recently, I wouldn't have admitted to enjoying PR, but I didn't knock it either. Are you embarrassed someone will make fun of you for liking DBZ? Welcome to the world, there are a ton of a-holes who will make fun of anyone for any reason.
I can't talk about why I enjoy DBZ because I don't even know why I enjoy it.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:DBZguy, would you stop with your DBZ self loathing? It's getting obnoxious. It's the only thing you talk about. You apparently don't know why you like the series but take the time to come on to a forum of said show. If you don't actually like the series, fine, it ain't for everyone. However, if you do like it, then wouldn't your time be better spent talking more about the parts that you enjoy instead of stewing in a tub of negativity? There are plenty of shows I don't like, but I don't go on those forums to complain. If you like something that's not all that great "objectively" you can acknowledge its faults, but you should concentrate more on what you like about it. I enjoy Smallville and Power Rangers. Until recently, I wouldn't have admitted to enjoying PR, but I didn't knock it either. Are you embarrassed someone will make fun of you for liking DBZ? Welcome to the world, there are a ton of a-holes who will make fun of anyone for any reason.
I can't talk about why I enjoy DBZ because I don't even know why I enjoy it.
Perhaps instead of talking about why you think DBZ is so bad, you should think over what you actually like about the series.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Gonstead wrote: Perhaps instead of talking about why you think DBZ is so bad, you should think over what you actually like about the series.
I have thought about it, but nothing comes up. All I can see is a terrible anime/manga series that I just happen to like for some unknown reason.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Anyway, let's get this thread focused back on the main topic.

Another unpopular "opinion" I have is that the Saiyan and Freeza sagas are bad. Are they as crap as the Cell and Boo sagas? No, they're very much a better set of sagas when seen in a critical perspective. But that doesn't automatically make them good.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Um...My friend thinks DragonBall is worse than GT.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Right now I think an unpopular opinion here is for anyone to suggest that they didnt enjoy BoG or to call it overrated within the franchise. Which happens to be my notion after seeing it....

I also liked some aspects of GT. It had concepts never properly utilized. Its an unpopular thing to say you *don't* despite GT these days but I don't. I love the ideas within it, just thought it was mishandled.. too bad the fanbase is so ignorant with it just because of the idea that Akira didnt write it seems to equal it as unwatchable.... which is an overstatement. It at least deserves a reboot but wont get one with the way some people just take the meme to bash it.
thatdbzguy wrote:Anyway, let's get this thread focused back on the main topic.
Another unpopular "opinion" I have is that the Saiyan and Freeza sagas are bad. Are they as crap as the Cell and Boo sagas? No, they're very much a better set of sagas when seen in a critical perspective. But that doesn't automatically make them good.
Why are you here is you hate DBZ as much as you seem to claim?
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Right now I think an unpopular opinion here is for anyone to suggest that they didnt enjoy BoG or to call it overrated within the franchise. Which happens to be my notion after seeing it....

I also liked some aspects of GT. It had concepts never properly utilized. Its an unpopular thing to say you *don't* despite GT these days but I don't. I love the ideas within it, just thought it was mishandled.. too bad the fanbase is so ignorant with it just because of the idea that Akira didnt write it seems to equal it as unwatchable.... which is an overstatement. It at least deserves a reboot but wont get one with the way some people just take the meme to bash it.
thatdbzguy wrote:Anyway, let's get this thread focused back on the main topic.
Why are you here is you hate DBZ as much as you seem to claim?
I've already addressed this.

I don't hate DBZ. I happen to enjoy it. I just don't think it's good.

Let's not dwell on this anymore than it already has been. VegettoEX wouldn't want this whole thread to turn into this one debate.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 am

Gogeta ~ Vegetto

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Right now I think an unpopular opinion here is for anyone to suggest that they didnt enjoy BoG or to call it overrated within the franchise. Which happens to be my notion after seeing it....

I think many people, myself included, agree that GT has some good ideas and moments, but bad execution.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 am

I would love an official GT reboot. I actually enjoy GT more than Z, and possibly as much as DB, but it has its faults and could be so much better. I'd be sad to see the soundtrack go though. If there were ever a re-adaptation of Dragon Ball, I'd want it to include a re-written GT, although I know that's never going to happen.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Fizzer wrote:I would love an official GT reboot. I actually enjoy GT more than Z, and possibly as much as DB, but it has its faults and could be so much better. I'd be sad to see the soundtrack go though. If there were ever a re-adaptation of Dragon Ball, I'd want it to include a re-written GT, although I know that's never going to happen.
IMO Fixing GT would be very simple.. just redesign the characters to match their End of Z attire; give them all new abilities - revise the character continuity and bam. Done. The only reason it won't ever happen is because the sheer blind hatred people enjoy to perpetuate on it,
ABED wrote:I think many people, myself included, agree that GT has some good ideas and moments, but bad execution.
I actually think GT did a lot of great things. It created most of its plot settings and devices off of the original history prior. It took elements from DB and DBZ and brought more reflection to them. The issues people bring up are not anything BoG doesnt do already. People just loathe GT over the meme its created and it lacking the Akira Toriyama stamp of approval. He even says this himself in a BoG interview and I don't think thats fair at all. Not to mention Akira didnt even write the script for BoG, he just gave directional imput and made Whis and Beers... yet people are losing their minds over it and bashing GT even more because of it... desipte Akira's involvement being literally at the same level.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Uh no, not really, AT had huge input in what happened in BoG compared to GT. He came up with the story.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Draken wrote:Uh no, not really, AT had huge input in what happened in BoG compared to GT. He came up with the story.
More like he 'refined' the story that was already there, if I remember the order of events right. Either way though, while I do agree that GT gets a lot of undue hate, Toriyama does seem to have had a closer tie with BoG.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 pm

I heard that this is the first time you’ve been deeply involved with the script of a movie; please tell us the reason.
The catalyst was that, first of all, when the script originally came to me, there was a lot of the sort of dialogue that only the creator would know, so I thought, “that bothers me”, and then this and that also started to get on my mind, and so rather than telling them to revise each individual thing, I thought it might be faster if I just wrote the script myself.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... riyama-qa/

JK he wrote the script.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm

People just loathe GT over the meme its created
What meme?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:37 pm

ABED wrote:
People just loathe GT over the meme its created
What meme?
I assume he means the over whelming negative consensus it has; which people who haven't even seen it just naturally accept as truth.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Draken wrote:Uh no, not really, AT had huge input in what happened in BoG compared to GT. He came up with the story.
Even if he allegedly "wrote" it. He had a outside script writter and director. He at most probably came up with the plot and wrote the summary and surpervised it. He didnt write it himself, regardless of what the interview says. Toei could easily say he "wrote" it just for people to accept it over GT. He says he also reread the manga to brush up, yet he seems to overlook past lore technicalities that appear within the plotholes in BoG? Doesn't sound write to me.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:28 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Uhhh- "Come up with" doesnt mean write. He thought of the plot. He didnt write the script and the nasty plot hiccups show this.
He did write the script. You seem to have skipped over this post.
Draken wrote:
I heard that this is the first time you’ve been deeply involved with the script of a movie; please tell us the reason.
The catalyst was that, first of all, when the script originally came to me, there was a lot of the sort of dialogue that only the creator would know, so I thought, “that bothers me”, and then this and that also started to get on my mind, and so rather than telling them to revise each individual thing, I thought it might be faster if I just wrote the script myself.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... riyama-qa/

JK he wrote the script.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:He did write the script. You seem to have skipped over this post.
Unless "script" just means just the plot summery. Its not clarified what "script" to him means. Because he didnt direct the story, that I know. If he wrote the script and refused to check its consistancy with the prior saga then I'm deeply below disappointed with it.