Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 amI can agree with that. Only change I would make in that regard is not have them be children.

Modern DB as a whole should’ve stopped after BoG in my opinion
I'd also take out the pointless Trunka and Mai romance.

I've been saying this forever, as BOG works perfectly as a conclusion rather than a beginning.
I think the ending for Z was great and perfect and GT’z ending also exist but for those who didn’t like Z’s ending (which is many) and don’t like GT, BoG is a perfect ending

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:19 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:03 amI can agree with that. Only change I would make in that regard is not have them be children.

Modern DB as a whole should’ve stopped after BoG in my opinion
I'd also take out the pointless Trunka and Mai romance.

I've been saying this forever, as BOG works perfectly as a conclusion rather than a beginning.
That too. I try to forget about the Trunks/Mai romance lol.

And yeah I agree. I think BoG works a million times better as a one off reunion movie.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 amFor those who didn’t like Z’s ending (which is many), BoG is a perfect ending.
My main issue with EOZ is that it felt a bit abrupt coming directly after Buu, something just felt off to me, which BOG fixes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am

Not sure what felt abrupt . Goku meets Majin Boo’s reincarnation he wished for and goes off with him to train him for a really good fight. It ties in with the last major arc and the series as a whole.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am Not sure what felt abrupt . Goku meets Majin Boo’s reincarnation he wished for and goes off with him to train him for a really good fight. It ties in with the last major arc and the series as a whole.
I guess it felt like there was something missing. I don't know how popular of an opinion that is, but that's how I've always felt about it before BOG.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am

From what I’ve seen hating Z’s ending is the common opinion. Even people who otherwise hated GT preferred it’s ending. I liked Z’s ending because it ties to the character of Goku also seeking to be stronger and fight strong opponents. I guess most fans took issue with Goku ditching his friends and family to train a stranger but...it’s Goku

Battle of Gods sort of reaches the same point “There’s always mountains to climb” but doesn’t have Goku telling everyone “Peace Out”

Kaywayk

Post by Kaywayk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 pm

I feel like the problem with Z's ending is that it feels very arbitrary. I get what it's going for with Goku finding his successor and training him, but the way it's done there's not really any finality to it. Goku's not retiring from fighting, he's not going somewhere far away, we know exactly what he's gonna be doing for the next few years. It feels like it's setting up a time skip instead of the beginning of a new, different journey.

Compare that to GT, where Goku literally leaves the living realm; his adventures are over, because everything that comes afterwards will be fundamentally different, it's beyond the reach of the story being told and so the show must end.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:39 pm

Kaywayk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 pm I feel like the problem with Z's ending is that it feels very arbitrary. I get what it's going for with Goku finding his successor and training him, but the way it's done there's not really any finality to it. Goku's not retiring from fighting, he's not going somewhere far away, we know exactly what he's gonna be doing for the next few years. It feels like it's setting up a time skip instead of the beginning of a new, different journey.

Compare that to GT, where Goku literally leaves the living realm; his adventures are over, because everything that comes afterwards will be fundamentally different, it's beyond the reach of the story being told and so the show must end.
I don’t feel like every story needs an airtight ending to work as a finale. Goku finding the fighter who will give him “The great fight he was looking for” is his equivalent to the hero getting the girl. He knows he won’t be around forever and Oob is his successor because as it turns out Gohan and Goten and Trunks don’t have the heart for fighting. The story began with Goku leaving his secluded home in the mountains to train and get stronger and test his skills and the story ends with him finding someone who will truly test his skills and who he can pass his knowledge of all that’s he’s learnes onto.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:39 pm
Kaywayk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 pm I feel like the problem with Z's ending is that it feels very arbitrary. I get what it's going for with Goku finding his successor and training him, but the way it's done there's not really any finality to it. Goku's not retiring from fighting, he's not going somewhere far away, we know exactly what he's gonna be doing for the next few years. It feels like it's setting up a time skip instead of the beginning of a new, different journey.

I don’t feel like every story needs an airtight ending to work as a finale. Goku finding the fighter who will give him “The great fight he was looking for” is his equivalent to the hero getting the girl. He knows he won’t be around forever and Oob is his successor because as it turns out Gohan and Goten and Trunks don’t have the heart for fighting. The story began with Goku leaving his secluded home in the mountains to train and get stronger and test his skills and the story ends with him finding someone who will truly test his skills and who he can pass his knowledge of all that’s he’s learnes onto.
It's not arbitrary. It's thematically relevant to Goku's journey. There's no great end, it's just about finding more mountains to climb. I wouldn't put it the way MasenkoHA stated it but he (she? sorry I don't know and don't want to assume) is right. An ending can be "open" and still provide a sense of closure.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

It suffers too much from the trope Status Quo is God, it feels like Goku didn't really develop much at the end, if I saw that ending as a kid and then nothing next week i'd just be horribly confused. It has similar problems as the Teen Titans finale "Things Change", it isn't nearly as bad, but leaves me with a similarly empty and unsatisfied feeling.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 pm

As a kid it would be easy to miss, perhaps but the reason for the ending is all there. It's not vague. It has a purpose and a clear one that maybe takes time to understand. I didn't get it until relatively recently. I don't like that he leaves with Uub, but I get the intention. He's excited for the future and he has greater mountains to climb. For Goku that's everything.

It's similar to Angel's ending. I see why many feel it's unsatisfying but for a character looking for redemption, not giving a difinitive answer and going out on a call to battle is perfect. The message is simple - regardless of the outcome, you never stop fighting. It fits that character because redemption isn't a finish line.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 pm

The ending to the manga certainly lacks the feeling of finality that the ending for GT has. That much can be said. It’s a very “and the adventure continues” kind of ending, while GT’s ending feels more like an actual farewell.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 pm As a kid it would be easy to miss, perhaps but the reason for the ending is all there. It's not vague. It has a purpose and a clear one that maybe takes time to understand. I didn't get it until relatively recently. I don't like that he leaves with Uub, but I get the intention. He's excited for the future and he has greater mountains to climb. For Goku that's everything.

It's similar to Angel's ending. I see why many feel it's unsatisfying but for a character looking for redemption, not giving a difinitive answer and going out on a call to battle is perfect. The message is simple - regardless of the outcome, you never stop fighting. It fits that character because redemption isn't a finish line.
Ugh don't remind me of Angel :cry: , any goodwill I had left for that show died with Cordelia(and learning the behind-the-scenes reasons for why Charisma Carpenter left the show, or rather was forced off for being pregnant only made me angrier :evil: ) so the ending for that show being lousy was pretty much inevitable at that point, so I wasn't even surprised or shocked that it was, I just saw it as a mercy killing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Her ending was amazing. She reminds Angel of who he really is and gives him one last gift. That's a great ending for a great character. I stand by my example.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 pm Her ending was amazing. She reminds Angel of who he really is and gives him one last gift. That's a great ending for a great character. I stand by my example.
I just think there was so much more to tell with her, and reading this story filled me with rage:https://www.tvguide.com/news/features/a ... lia-chase/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 pm Her ending was amazing. She reminds Angel of who he really is and gives him one last gift. That's a great ending for a great character. I stand by my example.
I just think there was so much more to tell with her, and reading this story filled me with rage:https://www.tvguide.com/news/features/a ... lia-chase/
I read that and knew the story for years, and while there is probably more you could do with all of the characters, I like what we got, and I love where she ended. That's the real her. maybe this is me being too concrete bound but the character in season 4 literally wasn't her. She wasn't tarnished.

I'm sad for what Charisma went through but that doesn't really impact my view of what happened. This is hardly the first time outside factors influenced a story.

Let's not lose sight of the point. I like the ending to Angel because the message of redemption not being a destination but a choice one makes every day regardless of how it ends is fitting for a show whose central metaphor was addiction and rehabilitation. Giving a definitive answer would undercut the point. The same applies to DB but it has a different metaphor - always keep striving and improving. What sort of definitive end is there for that story?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

It suffers too much from the trope Status Quo is God, it feels like Goku didn't really develop much at the end, if I saw that ending as a kid and then nothing next week i'd just be horribly confused. It has similar problems as the Teen Titans finale "Things Change", it isn't nearly as bad, but leaves me with a similarly empty and unsatisfied feeling.
Well that episode of Teen Titans wasn't supposed to be the series finale. There was supposed to be another season but it seemed CN had other plans.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:20 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Well that episode of Teen Titans wasn't supposed to be the series finale. There was supposed to be another season but it seemed CN had other plans.
Even if that was the case, it's still a poor choice for a season finale.
ABED wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 pm
I read that and knew the story for years, and while there is probably more you could do with all of the characters, I like what we got, and I love where she ended. That's the real her. maybe this is me being too concrete bound but the character in season 4 literally wasn't her. She wasn't tarnished.

I'm sad for what Charisma went through but that doesn't really impact my view of what happened. This is hardly the first time outside factors influenced a story.

Let's not lose sight of the point. I like the ending to Angel because the message of redemption not being a destination but a choice one makes every day regardless of how it ends is fitting for a show whose central metaphor was addiction and rehabilitation. Giving a definitive answer would undercut the point. The same applies to DB but it has a different metaphor - always keep striving and improving. What sort of definitive end is there for that story?
I know it's not the first time, but that does not mean it's a good thing to have outside factors influence a story. In general I don't like it when female characters get written off a show because men have no clue what to do with them, i've seen that happen on far too many shows(Charmed and One Tree Hill both come to mind).

If you like the ending great, but I saw it as a betrayal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:46 pm

That wasn't a betrayal at all. Real life, sure, but not the character. I don't know if the OTH example is analogous.

And again, DB's ending is fitting for Goku. Someone mentioned Goku doesn't change much and that's kinda the point. He will never change. He will keep striving to reach greater heights, so the most logical ending for him is to be excited about the future because there's something to look forward to even though we the audience don't get to see it. Actually seeing it would undercut the point being made.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:25 pm

But it’s not even close to “Status Quo is God” Goku is a grandfather, his two sons are grown, his friends are all pretty much settled down, even his most prominent rival is now settled and content as a family man. He’s left to train his handpicked successor.

I haven’t seen Teen Titans finale since it aired (2006?) but from what I recall the entire message of the episode was to let go of the past and move on (which ironically from what I’ve seen the fandom went the exact opposite direction) it was an episode about looking through nostalgia glasses (remember when you were happy with us? Even though you were a spy the entire time you were on the team and I’m having selective memory and only remembering the good) and realizing that things weren’t always as great as we remembered and its time to let go

Abed’s example with Angel is a good one because it ends at the start or a big battle but you know what? It doesn’t matter what the outcome was.

Conversely Buffy had a more definitive ending and I always found the ending to be sub par.