Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Seeing that no one posted a demonic post on the 666 page, I will do it:

I find Towa and Mira to be meh characters.
The other demons in Dragon Ball Heroes are pretty lame too.
Dabra's design in Heroes is ugly and over the top.
Spike the Devilman is a terrible name and Funimation should have used the name "Akkuman" instead
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:21 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm
Noah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm The thing about Yamcha is that ever since original DB he was more like a pushover, but never straight a joke character. That's what Super made of him, that baseball episode ending with him doing his death pose just because of the meme and him waiting an invite from Goku for the ToP, not funny at all.
I get your point, but 1) turning him into a joke character isn't stretch. If he's going to serve any purpose on the show when he hasn't for years, being the perpetual butt of the joke works well, 2) are any of us that bothered by what became of Yamcha? Really, Yamcha? and 3) I agree that the death pose joke is too fanservice-y.
As I said, Yamcha isn’t a favorite character of mine, but all the jokes at his expense get pretty tiresome after a while. It doesn’t help that Yamcha is probably one of the nicer and more down-to-earth members of the cast, so it can come across as unjustified.
Other than Vegeta, they're pretty much all nice. And does a joke need a justification beyond being amusing?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:27 am

ABED wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:21 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm I get your point, but 1) turning him into a joke character isn't stretch. If he's going to serve any purpose on the show when he hasn't for years, being the perpetual butt of the joke works well, 2) are any of us that bothered by what became of Yamcha? Really, Yamcha? and 3) I agree that the death pose joke is too fanservice-y.
As I said, Yamcha isn’t a favorite character of mine, but all the jokes at his expense get pretty tiresome after a while. It doesn’t help that Yamcha is probably one of the nicer and more down-to-earth members of the cast, so it can come across as unjustified.
Other than Vegeta, they're pretty much all nice. And does a joke need a justification beyond being amusing?
The problem is that I don’t think the joke is amusing. It’s just overdone at this point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:13 am

That's the only bad part for me, it's a joke that's overused.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am

Marron is useless and could have been excluded without any revision. She is there to look cute and domesticate A18.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am Marron is useless and could have been excluded without any revision. She is there to look cute and domesticate A18.
Wasn’t that a commonly accepted opinion? Fans always seem to care even less about Marron than they do Bra.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am Marron is useless and could have been excluded without any revision. She is there to look cute and domesticate A18.
Wasn’t that a commonly accepted opinion? Fans always seem to care even less about Marron than they do Bra.
It is not a position I ever saw people be vocal about. Bra has the privilege of being half Saiyan, Marron is nothing but a cute wordplay a la Toriyama.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 pm

I just think it’s funny that the writers for Super don’t seem to realize that she’s not supposed to be a toddler anymore. Just like with Goten and Trunks, she apparently isn’t allowed to grow up, but it’s even more ridiculous in her case.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:28 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 pm
I just think it’s funny that the writers for Super don’t seem to realize that she’s not supposed to be a toddler anymore. Just like with Goten and Trunks, she apparently isn’t allowed to grow up, but it’s even more ridiculous in her case.
The writers for Super also don't know Goku's not supposed to be mentally handicapped outside of the more serious moments, so I'm not surprised they don't pay attention to anything else like continuity details like that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Marron exists to show that Kuririn and 18 are married. In a series like Dragon Ball, you can't present a married couple to the audience without them having a child. It's just the kind of story it is.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:32 pm Marron exists to show that Kuririn and 18 are married. In a series like Dragon Ball, you can't present a married couple to the audience without them having a child. It's just the kind of story it is.
Did Vegeta and Bulma get married and divorced within the span of a year in secret, then?

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 pm

The first Broly movie is actually written well and a lot of misconceptions people have with it is due to the funimation dub altering the script and Abridged.
We the ones

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:03 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 pm The first Broly movie is actually written well and a lot of misconceptions people have with it is due to the funimation dub altering the script and Abridged.
The FUNimation dub didn’t really alter the script that much.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 pm The first Broly movie is actually written well and a lot of misconceptions people have with it is due to the funimation dub altering the script and Abridged.
Funi's dub of it is extremely close to the original Japanese, with some going as far as putting it on Kai's level in terms of accuracy. Broly's bad reputation is the result of overexposure, as he got 3 movies and countless game appearances. Had Broly only been in one or even two movies, he would be nowhere near as unliked (by some) as he is now.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm

It is not accurate, no. In the dub and TFS it insinuates that he remembers Kakarot as a child and is still mad about it. Whereas in the original japanese it's stated that Kakarot's fighting spirit spurs Broly's instincts on.

Everyone gives the film flack because they misunderstand that scene all thanks to the dub and TFS.
We the ones

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:10 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm It is not accurate, no. In the dub and TFS it insinuates that he remembers Kakarot as a child and is still mad about it. Whereas in the original japanese it's stated that Kakarot's fighting spirit spurs Broly's instincts on.

Everyone gives the film flack because they misunderstand that scene all thanks to the dub and TFS.
The dub never makes any mention of Broly hating Goku from when they were babies. It just has Paragus point out that they were born on the same day.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:14 pm

I know this is not unpopular but I never saw anyone adressing before, Krillin and #18 don't need to have a child, but like as said before DB is a series that can't pretend to have couples without children. Marron could be more interesting if she was something more than an eternal toddler.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:14 pm
I know this is not unpopular but I never saw anyone adressing before, Krillin and #18 don't need to have a child, but like as said before DB is a series that can't pretend to have couples without children. Marron could be more interesting if she was something more than an eternal toddler.
still. what is the point of introducing a new character if you are not gonna give them a character? "DB couples must have kids" be fucking damned.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:10 am

She's the toddler child of two side characters, how much personality do you expect her to have?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:41 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:10 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm It is not accurate, no. In the dub and TFS it insinuates that he remembers Kakarot as a child and is still mad about it. Whereas in the original japanese it's stated that Kakarot's fighting spirit spurs Broly's instincts on.

The dub never makes any mention of Broly hating Goku from when they were babies. It just has Paragus point out that they were born on the same day.
This was going to be my response.

The dub never explicitly stated Broly hated Goku because of his cries. The problem isn't that the dub fucked that part up. It's that the dub didn't do a good job conveying the actual reason and left things open to interpretation.

Broly's meme role as the guy who hates Goku because he cried as a baby and who only ever screams "KAKAROT!" and cares about nothing other than him— that really started with movie 10, but it didn't REALLY start until the video games.
I'm sure some fans back in the early 90s wondered if the movie was trying to say that Broly was unnerved by Goku's cries as a gag, but that was really just a scene of how Goku's very cries were upset Broly when they were infants, a mirror to how Goku's fighting spirit was doing the same thing 30 years later. Heck, it even foreshadowed that Goku was going to overcome Broly because it was HIS cries upsetting Broly. This foreshadowing was vague, and some other scenes in the movie do seem to direct your attention to the idea that it was Goku's cries that upset him. But Paragus made it clear in Japanese that it was Goku's ki that caused Broly's freakout.

Then again, the dub never used the word "ki" and thus made that scene vaguer than you'd think by replacing it with "power."

Goten's cries stirring Broly didn't help at all, but again the perception I got out of that scene in Japanese was that it was a throwback to Goku's actions riling the monster again, not that the cries alone were angering him.

But again, this just would've been a silly fantheory that it was Goku's cries that made Broly insane, a troll-worthy answer if not for how aggressively the localization team tripled down on this explanation. They also scrubbed away Broly's insane desire to fight at all costs to instead make him plainly insane. He constantly complements the senshi for their fighting spirit and prowess, suggesting he actually respects them and is really beating them to death because of an instinctive Saiyan battlelust and spontaneous acts of violence. He only becomes insane after he's defeated by Goku, who his Super Saiyan nature now drives him to focus solely on defeating.
The dub version made him into a black-hearted sadist who mocks the senshi at every turn, considers them wastes of blood, and hated Goku from the beginning. Especially in the games.

The fans played the games and read the character bios. They all had this explanation, for many odd years.

TFS didn't do anything that wasn't already there. They just burned it in with memes. But then again their whole shtick from the start was to parody the American dub of DBZ, so of course they were going to lampoon the "Goku's cries made Broly insane" thing. It's seeing their supplemental material, their continued mention of Broly as a tear-driven berserker and as someone who hated Goku because he cried rather than someone he didn't hate at all but rather explosively needed to fight that makes me wonder if they're even aware of Broly's Japanese nature.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.