Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 4:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 pm
PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:12 pm Dragon Ball isn’t that well-written of a series and it’s appeal is mostly due to NOSTALGIA.

Doesn’t mean I still can enjoy it though.
There’s plenty of series far worse written than Dragon Ball that are well loved despite being terrible and being modern and thus not having the nostalgia argument on its side.

This isn’t directly aimed at you but I don’t think anyone is under any delusion that Dragon Ball is equivalent to The Sopranos or The Wire or “insert other critically acclaimed television series” and the whole “Unlike you plebs I see beyond the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia” that makes up like 70 percent of online discussion is so tiresome.
I feel seen.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 pm

ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:28 pm
PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:12 pm Dragon Ball isn’t that well-written of a series and it’s appeal is mostly due to NOSTALGIA.

Doesn’t mean I still can enjoy it though.
There’s plenty of series far worse written than Dragon Ball that are well loved despite being terrible and being modern and thus not having the nostalgia argument on its side.

This isn’t directly aimed at you but I don’t think anyone is under any delusion that Dragon Ball is equivalent to The Sopranos or The Wire or “insert other critically acclaimed television series” and the whole “Unlike you plebs I see beyond the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia” that makes up like 70 percent of online discussion is so tiresome.
I feel seen.
What does that even mean?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not attacking anyone for being nostalgic for the franchise NOR am I saying there is something wrong with nostalgia.

I still love the Star Wars Prequels (1999-2005) and Spider-Man 2 (2004) and I’d be LYING if I said nostalgia didn’t play a part in my love for those movies because it does.

And my nostalgia argument was more about the American version of Dragon Ball and the American fandom MORE THAN ANYTHING.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 pm
ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:28 pm

I feel seen.
What does that even mean?
It was a joke but I just meant that someone articulated what I've been thinking for a while with regard to these "This thing from your childhood isn't really that good, you just like it because you have fond memories of when you first saw it."
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not attacking anyone for being nostalgic for the franchise NOR am I saying there is something wrong with nostalgia.

I still love the Star Wars Prequels (1999-2005) and Spider-Man 2 (2004) and I’d be LYING if I said nostalgia didn’t play a part in my love for those movies because it does.

And my nostalgia argument was more about the American version of Dragon Ball and the American fandom MORE THAN ANYTHING.
This still comes across as incredibly condescending. Of course there is nothing wrong with nostalgia, but DB has plenty of merit other than just fondness for a show we watched as kids.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 5:45 pm

ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:15 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 pm
ABED wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:28 pm I feel seen.

This still comes across as incredibly condescending. Of course there is nothing wrong with nostalgia, but DB has plenty of merit other than just fondness for a show we watched as kids.
Yeah, obviously...but I do feel like certain fans ONLY LIKE Dragon Ball because of NOSTALGIA when they do ridiculous stuff like dub HORRIBLE bands like Limp Bizkit and Early-2000's Linkin Park over DBZ clips on YouTube. It's so painfully obvious these fans have ABSOLUTELY NO SELF-AWARENESS as to what their doing and they aren't doing Dragon Ball ANY FAVORS.

I just DON'T LIKE all the toxic male masculinity vibe I get from this fanbase and the culture that surrounds this franchise.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 08, 2021 5:50 pm

PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:45 pm I just DON'T LIKE all the toxic male masculinity vibe I get from this fanbase and the culture that surrounds this franchise.
Sure, but is this the point you were originally driving at?

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm

PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:45 pm Yeah, obviously...but I do feel like certain fans ONLY LIKE Dragon Ball because of NOSTALGIA when they do ridiculous stuff like dub HORRIBLE bands like Limp Bizkit and Early-2000's Linkin Park over DBZ clips on YouTube. It's so painfully obvious these fans have ABSOLUTELY NO SELF-AWARENESS as to what their doing and they aren't doing Dragon Ball ANY FAVORS.
In what way does other fans having different music taste to you, and making music videos as a hobby combining two things they enjoy, damage the franchise, or negatively impact you in any way?

Also for reals whats wrong with Linkin Park? I mean, i enjoy Limp Bizkit but i see why people take issue with them, but Linkin Park I dont really see a lot of hate towards so i'm wondering what makes them horrible in capital letters.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 pm

JewyB wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:18 pm
PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:45 pm Yeah, obviously...but I do feel like certain fans ONLY LIKE Dragon Ball because of NOSTALGIA when they do ridiculous stuff like dub HORRIBLE bands like Limp Bizkit and Early-2000's Linkin Park over DBZ clips on YouTube. It's so painfully obvious these fans have ABSOLUTELY NO SELF-AWARENESS as to what their doing and they aren't doing Dragon Ball ANY FAVORS.
In what way does other fans having different music taste to you, and making music videos as a hobby combining two things they enjoy, damage the franchise, or negatively impact you in any way?

Also for reals whats wrong with Linkin Park? I mean, i enjoy Limp Bizkit but i see why people take issue with them, but Linkin Park I dont really see a lot of hate towards so i'm wondering what makes them horrible in capital letters.
Their early music is overly-nihilistic, angsty and depressing and if the majority of your fanbase listens to the same type of certain music...it doesn't set a good image for franchise for non-fans.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 7:25 pm

PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 pm Their early music is overly-nihilistic, angsty and depressing and if the majority of your fanbase listens to the same type of certain music...it doesn't set a good image for franchise for non-fans.
That's... Kinda of their thing? I dont think it makes them a horrible band to play music fitting within their genre, and considering what happened with Chester, i think it shows the music was coming from a real, emotional place, which music arguably should.

As for how it sets an image, i have to disagree, i doubt a significant number of people at all have been put off from watching Dragon Ball based on fans music tastes, there are much larger issues in anime fan communities than peoples music preferences, and i don't think people making DB x Aqua music videos instead will solve those or attract more fans.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm

Your post gave me an idea! A Dragon Ball video set to Around The World By Aqua!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm Your post gave me an idea! A Dragon Ball video set to Around The World By Aqua!
I'm prepared, i just hope my body can take it!

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm

I’m changing my comments because I’m a good person and I’m above this.
Last edited by PanSimpson on Sat May 08, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Last edited by PanSimpson on Sat May 08, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat May 08, 2021 8:06 pm

yeah this guy always does this. seen it on another forum and reddit.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 8:07 pm

PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 pm
JewyB wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:25 pm
PanSimpson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 pm Their early music is overly-nihilistic, angsty and depressing and if the majority of your fanbase listens to the same type of certain music...it doesn't set a good image for franchise for non-fans.
That's... Kinda of their thing? I dont think it makes them a horrible band to play music fitting within their genre, and considering what happened with Chester, i think it shows the music was coming from a real, emotional place, which music arguably should.

As for how it sets an image, i have to disagree, i doubt a significant number of people at all have been put off from watching Dragon Ball based on fans music tastes, there are much larger issues in anime fan communities than peoples music preferences, and i don't think people making DB x Aqua music videos instead will solve those or attract more fans.
It's not surprising you like Limp Bizkit. Dragon Ball is a crappy poorly made franchise that centers around a stupid, selfish, arrogant man child that obsesses over fighting and getting stupid cartoonish power-ups and screaming.

And the Dragon Ball fanbase? They are a bunch of Godless, geeky and overly liberal nerdy beta males that had serious emotional problems as kids which is why Dragon Ball Z fans LOVE garbage overly angry cringeworthy meathead hard rock bands like Disturbed, SlipKnot, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park or worse or the toxic garbage that is hip-hop.

Let's me tell you something Dragon Ball fanboy. You aren't "badass" or "cool" or "cultured" or "unique" for loving Dragon Ball Z. More like you're a stupid nerdy beta male faggot that takes his or her self so God-damn seriously which is why you love utter drivel like Dragon Ball Z and why you love slitting your wrists to Linkin Park.

And ABED, I HATE the show Community and I ESPECIALLY HATE Danny Pudi. He is stupid, smug looking, brown-skinned beta male faggot and it's probably a good thing I'd never meet him in real life because I'd probably choke the living shit out that brown-skinned, metrosexual stupid beta male faggot.
Well, if this isn't the most adorable tantrum i've ever seen i don't know what is. Imagine throwing your toys out the pram because someone didnt share the same opinion of you.

PS. You signed upto a Dragon Ball forum ,and claimed you enjoy it, which makes you a Dragon Ball fan, which means, you kinda just said all that stuff about.... Yep, that's right, yourself!

Troll better, maybe something that doesn't come across as a 12 year old child trying to hurt my feelings with the swears they just learnt on the internet. But also goodbye!

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 pm

Last edited by PanSimpson on Sat May 08, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat May 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Unpopular opinion: The Dragon Ball fandom needs better trolls.

Actually this one might be popular...

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Sounds like he had a meltdown about people liking Linkin Park and decided to go scorched earth with trolling himself into a ban, instead of just walking away from the discussion like a normal person.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 pm

I’m sorry for my embarrassing and hateful and bigoted behavior.

Hypersayian
Banned

Post by Hypersayian » Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am

Didnt like the new Broly movie. Half the movie was the history of the Sayians which we allready saw several times - the other half was Broly Power Maximummest! Dont mind all the struggles and training and new transformations Goku and Vegeta went through in the last 50 years - Broly just surpasses all of this within 10 Minutes....