Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:28 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am That bland title could have applied to movie 4 or movie 9.
With Movie 4 yeah the Earth was in danger again but it wasn't the centerpiece of the story like it was in Movie 3.

Movie 9 I can't remember if the Earth even factored into that story.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:25 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:28 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am That bland title could have applied to movie 4 or movie 9.
With Movie 4 yeah the Earth was in danger again but it wasn't the centerpiece of the story like it was in Movie 3.

Movie 9 I can't remember if the Earth even factored into that story.
Lord Slug literally blocked sunlight from the Earth's atmosphere and let it freeze in order to make it into his new home base, since his minions could not bear the sun.

Bojack also wanted to conquer the Earth for himself to make it into a home base.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:50 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:25 am Lord Slug literally blocked sunlight from the Earth's atmosphere and let it freeze in order to make it into his new home base, since his minions could not bear the sun.

Bojack also wanted to conquer the Earth for himself to make it into a home base.
Yeah but those weren't direct attacks against the Earth though. With Bojack, the planet itself was never at stake. With Slug, it was mostly incidental to the story. With Turles however, the Earth was under direct attack by the Tree, and the story revolved around the guys attempts to save it. It was central to the themes of the film and was presented as such by the plot and visuals.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:21 am

Some of the Japanese titles are better, some Funimation titles are better. Dead Zone is a stupid title especially when a Stephen King book and movie already exist with that title. World Strongest is basically the same as World Strongest Guy but the latter makes it clear it’s referring to one individual (Goku) where the Funimation/Pioneer title is ambiguous and could be referring to Goku or the Z team as a whole. Super Saiyan Son Goku is way more exciting of a title than “movie villain name” Gotta consider the context of when the movie came out. When Japanese kids knew Goku was going to be a Super Saiyan soon but even the manga hadn’t got there yet. The other titles I either prefer the Funi title (Tree of Might, Cooler’s Revenge, The Legendary Super Saiyan, Broly-Second Coming, Bio Broly) or they’re about equal to me (the rest)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:25 pm

Disagree about Dead Zone being a bad title. It's better than Return My Gohan. Even World's Strongest is better than World's Strongest Guy. Sometimes having a generic title is better, but at least have it a short memorable title instead of a long word salad title.
MyVisionity wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:50 am Yeah but those weren't direct attacks against the Earth though. With Bojack, the planet itself was never at stake. With Slug, it was mostly incidental to the story. With Turles however, the Earth was under direct attack by the Tree, and the story revolved around the guys attempts to save it.
This is a distinction without a difference.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:51 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:25 pm Disagree about Dead Zone being a bad title. It's better than Return My Gohan.
Big disagree. Return my Gohan better described the plot (Goku trying to get Gohan back) plus mentally saying Return my Gohan in Masako Nozawa’s Goku voice is just plain fun.

Both are better than the “In Pursuit of Garlic” title AB Groupe went with. Which just makes it sound like Goku is looking for an Olive Garden.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 pm

How did Roshi resist Frost's attacks without being killed in 1 punch? Yes we can assume Frost was holding back, but this character was likely on Cell level (he defeated Piccolo), but was easily defeated by Vegeta.

I know Super's power levels don't make sense a lot of the time, but a normal human like Roshi should explode on contact of just 1 punch with that big a difference.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:21 pm

Movie 4 was titled ’Super Saiyan Son Goku’ in Japan purely as a marketing stunt. The titular Super Saiyan transformation barely factors into the movie. Plus, by the time FUNimation got around to dubbing that movie, they had already finished dubbing the Cell arc, so people in the United States were already fully aware of what a Super Saiyan is supposed to look like. If they titled the movie ‘Super Saiyan Goku’, it would’ve confused people at best. Frankly, I’m not even sure what else FUNimation was supposed to call the movie, outside of putting the villain’s name in the title.

Also, ‘A Super Decisive Battle for Earth’ can apply to pretty much the majority of DBZ movies. The only real exceptions would be Movies 6 and 8, since those don’t take place on Earth. I suppose an argument could be made that it might exclude Movie 12, but even then, that’s only three out of 13 movies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:51 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:25 pm Disagree about Dead Zone being a bad title. It's better than Return My Gohan.
Big disagree. Return my Gohan better described the plot (Goku trying to get Gohan back) plus mentally saying Return my Gohan in Masako Nozawa’s Goku voice is just plain fun.

Both are better than the “In Pursuit of Garlic” title AB Groupe went with. Which just makes it sound like Goku is looking for an Olive Garden.
The line is fun but it's a weak sounding title.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:34 pm

precita wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 pm How did Roshi resist Frost's attacks without being killed in 1 punch? Yes we can assume Frost was holding back, but this character was likely on Cell level (he defeated Piccolo), but was easily defeated by Vegeta.

I know Super's power levels don't make sense a lot of the time, but a normal human like Roshi should explode on contact of just 1 punch with that big a difference.
Not sure if this is exactly an opinion, but yeah, it's not discussed much at all.

You can make the argument of anyone holding back because of the Tournament rules and it would hold some water most of the time. But I do fail to see how Frost could have even held back that much to not kill him, as he shouldn't know how much power Roshi really has, as he was new to U6 and if I remember correctly, he can't really sense ki...?

I kinda stopped bothering with power debates with this and other occasions in the ToP.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm

I had to rename all of my DBZ movie titles because I couldn't figure out which one was which. Not only with the english names, the latin dub also had awful names, the Cooler movies are dubbed "the strongest rivals" and "the strongest warriors", I still don't know if TSW is the first one or the second one. So I just named the files "Broly", "Cooler 1", "Slug"...

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm

I agree that "Dead Zone" beats "Return My Gohan". It's stronger plus the titles don't have to necessarily describe the plot. Similarly, I would have preferred "Big Gete Star" to "Return of Cooler".

"Super Saiyan Son Goku" is also a good title. It doesn't matter if it barely factors into the plot. It's attractive and a part of the story nonetheless.

It's not "distinction without a difference" to say that the Earth being attacked directly is exclusive to Movie 3. The Earth is the central focus of that story, and the film makes it clear. I'm sure that the title wasn't an accident. None of the other movies plots compare.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:05 pm

It is absolutely a distinction without a difference. In most of the films, Earth is in danger by virtue of the stakes. If the villain wins, The Earth will be destroyed or at least its people will.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Imo, best DBZ movie titles:

1. Gohan Returns
2. The Strongest Guy
3. Battle for Earth
4. Goku and the Super Saiyan
5. Coola's Brother
6. 1 Million Powerful Guys
7. Three Saiyans
8. Burning Fighters
9. Galaxy Guys
10. Super Warriors Can't Sleep!
11. I'm Gonna Win!
12. Gogeta Reborn
13. Wrath of the Punch

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:52 am

So what would the three modern movies be called if they went by the old naming scheme?

1. Clash! The Miracle Super Saiyan God

2. Revenge of the Ultimate Evil! Time is Running Out

3. Strongest Saiyan vs the Ultimate Super Warrior

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am Imo, best DBZ movie titles:

1. Gohan Returns
2. The Strongest Guy
3. Battle for Earth
4. Goku and the Super Saiyan
5. Coola's Brother
6. 1 Million Powerful Guys
7. Three Saiyans
8. Burning Fighters
9. Galaxy Guys
10. Super Warriors Can't Sleep!
11. I'm Gonna Win!
12. Gogeta Reborn
13. Wrath of the Punch
cus this is more or less kind of a shit post can i just say, your sailor moon manga twitter thread from last year is like, probably my favorite thing on twitter ? it has this reputation as this kinda slice of life comfort series but the manga is like one of the most bombastic things out there and is just the insane world of naoko takeuchi. i honestly put it on the level of utena for a shoujo series and kind of prefer it for the fact that is so personalized to takeuchi (ofc it wasn't a 1 woman project there were editors and assistants and all that), and how you get to see how she dealt with most of the series not being planned out and how messy (in a good and very beautiful way) the series became after the first arc, as opposed to utena which had a group of super talented creative people more or less mapping out the general idea. ones not better then the other of course, but i find sailor moon a lot more interesting in that regard in just how nobody else but takeuchi would put in stuff like people's faces being melted off in almost every arc.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:02 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 am cus this is more or less kind of a shit post can i just say, your sailor moon manga twitter thread from last year is like, probably my favorite thing on twitter ? it has this reputation as this kinda slice of life comfort series but the manga is like one of the most bombastic things out there and is just the insane world of naoko takeuchi. i honestly put it on the level of utena for a shoujo series and kind of prefer it for the fact that is so personalized to takeuchi (ofc it wasn't a 1 woman project there were editors and assistants and all that), and how you get to see how she dealt with most of the series not being planned out and how messy (in a good and very beautiful way) the series became after the first arc, as opposed to utena which had a group of super talented creative people more or less mapping out the general idea. ones not better then the other of course, but i find sailor moon a lot more interesting in that regard in just how nobody else but takeuchi would put in stuff like people's faces being melted off in almost every arc.
This is extremely off topic, but thank you, and yes, Takeuchi is a huge weirdo and that comes through on every page and in every panel of the series, which is weirdly simultaneously criminally underrated and also one of the most recognizable comic properties of all time. And somehow it still finds time to come together thematically and draw some tears by the end!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:52 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:02 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 am cus this is more or less kind of a shit post can i just say, your sailor moon manga twitter thread from last year is like, probably my favorite thing on twitter ? it has this reputation as this kinda slice of life comfort series but the manga is like one of the most bombastic things out there and is just the insane world of naoko takeuchi. i honestly put it on the level of utena for a shoujo series and kind of prefer it for the fact that is so personalized to takeuchi (ofc it wasn't a 1 woman project there were editors and assistants and all that), and how you get to see how she dealt with most of the series not being planned out and how messy (in a good and very beautiful way) the series became after the first arc, as opposed to utena which had a group of super talented creative people more or less mapping out the general idea. ones not better then the other of course, but i find sailor moon a lot more interesting in that regard in just how nobody else but takeuchi would put in stuff like people's faces being melted off in almost every arc.
This is extremely off topic, but thank you, and yes, Takeuchi is a huge weirdo and that comes through on every page and in every panel of the series, which is weirdly simultaneously criminally underrated and also one of the most recognizable comic properties of all time. And somehow it still finds time to come together thematically and draw some tears by the end!
Sounds exactly like Toriyama's Dragon Ball when put it that way.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:21 pm Movie 4 was titled ’Super Saiyan Son Goku’ in Japan purely as a marketing stunt. The titular Super Saiyan transformation barely factors into the movie. Plus, by the time FUNimation got around to dubbing that movie, they had already finished dubbing the Cell arc, so people in the United States were already fully aware of what a Super Saiyan is supposed to look like. If they titled the movie ‘Super Saiyan Goku’, it would’ve confused people at best. Frankly, I’m not even sure what else FUNimation was supposed to call the movie, outside of putting the villain’s name in the title.

The problem is the Funimation title is nothing but the villains name.

The Advent of Lord Slug
The Terror of Lord Slug
The Invasion of Lord Slug
Sub-Zero (because of the whole terra freezing the planet)

Just anything besides “the name of the villain”

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Sometimes less is more, the movie is about Lord Slug, so given that the movie doesn't happen without him then I think the title fits fine. Adding adjectives to it just makes it sound like a cheesy B Movie which it kinda is but the DB Movies are never overtly marketed that way, at least not here in the States.

The only title I'd change is Movie 13, Wrath of The Dragon gives the pretense that either 1. Hildegarn is a dragon ( and he's not) or 2. There's a ton of build up behind Goku's Dragon Fist and there isnt. I'd call it something like "Dragon Ball Z: Mystery of the Lost Warrior or Tapion the Lost Warrior" something hinting at what the movie is gonna primarily be about.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels