Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm

SSJ_Ninjago wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:55 pm Unpopular opinion: You actually can enjoy the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball without being a right wing devil or some kind of twisted monster.
Where do you folks keep coming from?

This is such a banal statement, too; you're in no brave oppressed minority here with that. We're far more concerned with the "actually blackface is OK?" whackjobs than a grown adult in a vacuum chuckling to themselves over an old man grabbing an ass or two.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSJ_Ninjago

Post by SSJ_Ninjago » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm
SSJ_Ninjago wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:55 pm Unpopular opinion: You actually can enjoy the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball without being a right wing devil or some kind of twisted monster.
Where do you folks keep coming from?

This is such a banal statement, too; you're in no brave oppressed minority here with that. We're far more concerned with the "actually blackface is OK?" whackjobs than a grown adult in a vacuum chuckling to themselves over an old man grabbing an ass or two.
See, this is literally the point I was making. You're acting as "us vs them" towards me. I have one comment here. I lurk. And you, as the admin and owner of this board, are making assertions that I'm on some form of opposing team to you.

I never mentioned anything to do with what you were or weren't concerned about, my main comment was concerning the attitude i saw you portray of "I don't like your opinion, and its because you're right-wing", which is just... what?

Why is it someone can't hold an opinion you don't agree with, without you immediately declaring they work for the other side, the same way you're acting here?

And before you say anything, I'm not thinking I'm some brave oppressed minority, I'm just pointing out your attitude is causing you to leap to conclusions about others and I just don't think that that is okay, especially for someone who is in charge. You should at least give the illusion of not letting your personal bias sink in.

It comes across far more as you being on a power trip than you putting some "silly right winger" in their place.

You can absolutely put a stop to things without making claims about peoples personal politics or beliefs.

For the record, by the way, I dont think blackface is okay, and I'm in no way a right winger, so please don't make assumptions on me based on the fact my comment essentially said "If someone likes something, don't assume their political positions or beliefs".

The most you can assume about someone saying "I'm fine with offensive comedy" is that they are fine with offensive comedy, nothing more.

And honestly, i think this will be my last comment here because, despite me talking about how wrong it is to assume, I'm going to assume how this will be responded to, and leave before I have to roll my eyes so hard at it.

Enjoy your very welcoming community.

PS. If my comment was so "banal", you wouldn't have taken the time to respond(and a decent moderator of any community would have, if it caused an issue, removed it instead of trying to provoke a response and look like you successfully put me in my place).

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:47 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pmThere's nothing fun about sexism, racism, or even pedophilia.
....Yes there is. Have you never seen Family Guy? Herbert is a pedophile, he's hilarious and one of the most popular secondary characters on the show.

Female driver jokes, Priest jokes, Michael Jackson jokes etc. Offensive jokes have been around for decades for a reason.

Anything can be funny. Anything.

Anyway an unpopular opinion....none of the original DBZ movies are even a 7/10.
I agree on both points, especially the latter. All of the 13 original Z movies are either average at best or just bad.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:00 pm

Very unpopular opinion, but, i cannot stand "modern" Vegeta Japanese voice, with all respect to Ryo Horikawa, but since that Jump Special, he sounds like he smoked million Marlboros (borrowed joke from Nostalgia Critic) and i wish he was recasted.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:43 pm

coola wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:00 pm Very unpopular opinion, but, i cannot stand "modern" Vegeta Japanese voice, with all respect to Ryo Horikawa, but since that Jump Special, he sounds like he smoked million Marlboros (borrowed joke from Nostalgia Critic) and i wish he was recasted.
Tbf Chris Sabat pretty much has been sounding like that since GT so Horikawa's Kai and Super performance definitely doesn't bother me

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 pm

Such person would still be “problematic” if they think Roshi goading Bulma into showing her panties or Oolong preparing to grope an asleep Bulma something that ought to be enjoyed as it’s presented.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 pm

i mean, the former is bit more of a joke then the latter, and if it's the scene i'm thinking of (chapter 3), i don't think there's anything wrong with finding it funny. the joke isn't just LOL PERV, in a arc where all the characters besides goku are kind of awful people, everyone kind of gets retribution for taking advantage of others. like yeah, i think the writing of bulma in that arc, while not uncommon for the time or even now, is obviously pretty sexist, but i still enjoy certain moments of it and think there's comedy to be had.

obviously like a lot of the toei shit is just lazy, and toriyama got pretty lazy with that type of humor as well on occasion, but when he was funny with it, he was funny with it. ditto with the NO BALLS scene.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Guess it s another unpopular/controversial opinion, I don't feel bad for Blooma during that Oolong attempting to grope her, since after that, she forced him to turn into herself, so that HE could be molested by Roshi.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:38 pm

coola wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 pm Guess it s another unpopular/controversial opinion, I don't feel bad for Blooma during that Oolong attempting to grope her, since after that, she forced him to turn into herself, so that HE could be molested by Roshi.
More of a weird take than anything

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:02 pm

coola wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 pm Guess it s another unpopular/controversial opinion, I don't feel bad for Blooma during that Oolong attempting to grope her, since after that, she forced him to turn into herself, so that HE could be molested by Roshi.
Just because Bulma also sucks doesn't make it any less shitty that Oolong put molly all in her drink
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:39 pm

You can't feel bad for Blooma, she's a fictional character.

The issue you seem to be trying to fly in the face of is that you have rape being used flippantly in a child-aimed comic and cartoon franchise. Furthermore, the use of sexual violence against women coming from a cishet male write sucks ass and I hope Toriyama stops writing it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:11 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:39 pm
You can't feel bad for Blooma, she's a fictional character.
Joke's on you, I've felt bad for a countless amount of fictional characters!

Anyway I am incredibly uncomfortable so can we please talk about anything other than "I ENJOY these problematic elements! Gimme attention!"
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 am

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:11 am
Anyway I am incredibly uncomfortable so can we please talk about anything other than "I ENJOY these problematic elements! Gimme attention!"
Gladly.

Everything I've seen and heard about Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes looks terrible. TERRIBLE.

The commonly parroted opinion that to appreciate Masako Nozawa's performance as Adult Goku you have to watch her voice Goku as a kid at first never made sense to me. My first experience with Japanese Dragon Ball was watching the Dead Zone subbed I had no issues with her take as Adult Goku and didn't need to see her voice him as a child first to accept it.

Sumitomo's score for Super is okay. It seems to get a lot of hate and it's nothing special but it's fine.

Not necessarily an unpopular opinion but Mayumi Tanaka doesn't get enough love as Kuririn. Her performance is so good.

I don't get the love for Super Saiyan 4. It just looks like something Funimation would have come up with on their own.

I'll never understand the obsession with the series going past the end of Z. GT exist. Just watch that.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 am
BeaBumby wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:11 am
Gladly.

Everything I've seen and heard about Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes looks terrible. TERRIBLE.

The commonly parroted opinion that to appreciate Masako Nozawa's performance as Adult Goku you have to watch her voice Goku as a kid at first never made sense to me. My first experience with Japanese Dragon Ball was watching the Dead Zone subbed I had no issues with her take as Adult Goku and didn't need to see her voice him as a child first to accept it.

Sumitomo's score for Super is okay. It seems to get a lot of hate and it's nothing special but it's fine.

Not necessarily an unpopular opinion but Mayumi Tanaka doesn't get enough love as Kuririn. Her performance is so good.

I'll never understand the obsession with the series going past the end of Z. GT exist. Just watch that.
- Never played either so I can't really form my own opinion, though Online always interested me

- I've never heard that advice, since I'm relatively new to the fanbase, but I agree. I always knew Nozawa as japanese Goku, and I always appreciated her as such.

- Haven't heard much. Though it feels kinda generic to me. If he composed the 2nd opening theme and other vocal stuff then I'll give him props for that.

- Oh yeah she's damn good.

- Personally I'm interested in the universe after Goku's gone, and all the new people we would get to meet if the chance occurs.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:42 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 am The commonly parroted opinion that to appreciate Masako Nozawa's performance as Adult Goku you have to watch her voice Goku as a kid at first never made sense to me. My first experience with Japanese Dragon Ball was watching the Dead Zone subbed I had no issues with her take as Adult Goku and didn't need to see her voice him as a child first to accept it.
I think it's less so that people need to watch OG Dragon Ball in Japanese first, and more that when you watch Z first there's a longer adjustment period, because how most people are used to Schemmel portraying adult Goku in the old Z dub deviates so much from Nozawa's portrayal. Obviously some fans will come around to appreciating Nozawa's performance quicker than others. I think it's easier when you are aware of how drastically different Funimation's Z dub is because you'll be expecting a different experience the first time watching the series in Japanese rather than something similar.

I do think watching OG Dragon Ball first (which is the ideal way to watch the series period, not just for the Japanese version) helps because by the time the viewer reaches episode 133 they will be so used to Nozawa's performance there will not be a shadow of a doubt in their minds that voice is right for Goku the same way no one ever questioned Nancy Cartwright still playing Bart Simpson when they saw the episodes set in the future.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 am Sumitomo's score for Super is okay. It seems to get a lot of hate and it's nothing special but it's fine.
I'd have to agree with this. I think part of the reason Sumitomo gets so much hate is the bar for Dragon Ball scores was set so high with Kikuchi, Tokunaga, and even during Kai's initial run when Yamamoto was masquerading as a composer that it was a jarring drop in quality. But yeah, I can listen to Sumitomo and not be taken out of the experience, he's not outstanding, but he's inoffensive and serviceable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:48 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 am The commonly parroted opinion that to appreciate Masako Nozawa's performance as Adult Goku you have to watch her voice Goku as a kid at first never made sense to me.
It's a fallacy for sure.

I think part of it is that a lot of those detractors have deeply ingrained ideas of what strong adult men like Goku should sound like that clash with Nozawa's Adult Goku and can't get past that.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 amThe commonly parroted opinion that to appreciate Masako Nozawa's performance as Adult Goku you have to watch her voice Goku as a kid at first never made sense to me. My first experience with Japanese Dragon Ball was watching the Dead Zone subbed I had no issues with her take as Adult Goku and didn't need to see her voice him as a child first to accept it.
I've often made this suggestion, specifically to people who incorrectly (and possibly disingenuously) argue that Goku's adult voice sounds just as high pitched as it is when he was a child. If you watch from the beginning of the show, you notice how the voice has deepened when the growth spurt happens.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 amSumitomo's score for Super is okay. It seems to get a lot of hate and it's nothing special but it's fine.
I think Omen of Victory gets a lot of hate. Starting with the Future Trunks arc he improves a lot. Prior to that though, it's all just really bland to me. That might result from, as Dragon Ball Ireland says, Kikuchi setting the bar so high that something so incredibly mid gets met with possibly excessive detraction.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 amI'll never understand the obsession with the series going past the end of Z. GT exist. Just watch that.
In my own case, at least, ever since finishing Z for the first time as a kid, I've been curious as to how Toriyama himself would have continued the story past Boo. GT doesn't quite offer that, beyond a slight taste with the character designs he made. Super doesn't really offer that either as it's made decades after Boo (so Toriyama is in a completely different creative headspace), has a completely different production process (not being directly written and drawn by Toriyama, under the pressures of weekly serialization).

As an adult, though, I now understand that the Boo arc itself even is the way it is largely because it's the ending. Toriyama was burnt out from creating the shit for so long. It's an ending by design. There's not supposed to be a story past the end of Z. Given that, what we see with Neko Majin, and the GT character designs, is honestly plenty. Goku still comes home. Freeza has a kid. Vegeta grows a mustache. I'm content imagining the rest.

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Post by OmegaAlphaDelta123 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am

I prefer Colleen Clickenbeard's voice acting to Stephanie Nadolny's as Kid/Teen Gohan

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm

OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am I prefer Colleen Clickenbeard's voice acting to Stephanie Nadolny's as Kid/Teen Gohan
I guess that is an unpopular opinion in most DBZ circles but I think its pretty split down the middle here. I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan too. Though Saffron Henderson was my favorite by far as far as the English voices are concerned.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm
OmegaAlphaDelta123 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:41 am I prefer Colleen Clickenbeard's voice acting to Stephanie Nadolny's as Kid/Teen Gohan
I guess that is an unpopular opinion in most DBZ circles but I think its pretty split down the middle here. I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan too. Though Saffron Henderson was my favorite by far as far as the English voices are concerned.
I think Clinkenbeard works pretty good as kid Gohan in Kai, she definitely fit better as four year old Gohan in the early Saiyan eps than Nadonly did. As kid Goku in DB movie 1's redub and other scattered things OTOh....not so much. I guess because i'm more used to Nadonly's performance for the latter.

As to Henderson, she fit better as Gohan in the FUNi/Ocean/Saban Z eps over her performance as Goku in the BLT dub of DB eps 1-13 and edited DB movie 1.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)