Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I think a big reason why I enjoy Super as much as I do, is because I generally don't have big issues with the characterization of it. As far as I'm concerned, Goku and Vegeta are characterized exactly the way they should be characterized, and aren't inconsistent with their previous characterizations at all. The only exception is that I think Videl's character was handled poorly. The "Tomboy" aspect of her was taken out completely and I don't really like it.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

The character writing in Super isn't awful, it's mostly just little niggles and weird oddities, that I might be willing to believe are a result of Toriyama himself not actually directly writing the story anymore.

I don't think Goku is as abjectly forgetful as he's portrayed in the Zamasu/Black story, and I think he tends to take things less seriously overall than would be consistent with the original manga, but it's minor in terms of his agency and actions, it's mostly just a dialogue and direction thing in a series that already wasn't exactly known for masterfully-executed writing.

Vegeta is a little different. I don't agree with the people that say he shouldn't be Goku's rival or shouldn't even be fighting. I think in general he's mostly funneled his surpassing Goku and drive for self-improvement in a more constructive direction, he hasn't just reverted to his Cell era self like a lot of people say. Almost universally throughout Super, Vegeta's actions are mostly for the benefit of the people around him, and he never really lets his pride or drive for battle actively become a threat to others. I'd even say his primary motivation feels geared more toward protecting his family, even if neither he or Toei actually seem to know that. Rather, it's again just kind of an issue in his dialogue, because even if he and the story don't actually mean much when he says things like "I'm supposed to be the best!" or "I'll beat you AND Kakarotto!" or whatever, it still makes it feel like the writers are looking at the wrong material when they're working out his lines. And as many have said, the "he really DOES care!" character moments only work so many times until we stop being under the impression that anyone said otherwise.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:29 am

Shaddy wrote:Vegeta is a little different. I don't agree with the people that say he shouldn't be Goku's rival or shouldn't even be fighting. I think in general he's mostly funneled his surpassing Goku and drive for self-improvement in a more constructive direction, he hasn't just reverted to his Cell era self like a lot of people say. e.
Well, that's exactly it. The way he approaches the rivalry is completely different. It is a much more productive way, and it borders on being a friendly rivalry. It certainly doesn't consume Vegeta's entire life and it is clear that Vegeta has other priorities in his life unlike his Cell Saga self. People that think he regressed to his early Cell-arc self are just confused.

And, I can't emphasize this enough, the last words in the manga are literally "I will surpass you one day, Kakarot!" So this idea that Vegeta should have no desire to surpass Goku whatsoever is just patently untrue. And no, it doesn't fucking matter that this is exclusive to the Kanzenban. Toriyama still wrote it in his manga.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Jiren imo isnt that bad of a character. Hes definitely not really that good, with his personality being bland for most of his screentime, and his backstory is beyond cliche, but I like the idea and executuon of him acting stoic and staying alone after everyone he cared about before the pride troopers leaving him (mainly because of death, but still) and once his idea of isolating himself from everyone being the best thing to do is unraveled, he acts unhinged and angry, trying to destroy Goku's idea of friendship being beneficial, it backfires, causing him to be defeated by MUI Goku. It takes Toppo's words to get back into the fight, and even then, he loses due to teamwork.

He's by no means a great character, not even close. I just dont agree that he's one of the worst characters in dragon ball history. Imo he's a much better antagonist than peoole like Super 17 or Omega Shenron, or even Boohan and Bootenks.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Many enjoy anime boobs but I've always had a thing for chubby/muscular and hairy characters. Yajirobe was my first anime crush when I was a kid. In addition to him Panbukin, Gyu-Mao, Champa, and Toppo (who I'm pretty sure I mentioned in a previous post) are the hottest characters in the series!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Call me nostalgia blind, but if I ever decide to rewatch DBZ again, certainly will be the original. I never liked Kai, the soundtracks from the first part are okay, but performances are way below the original anime, the second part was just awful. I can take Z with the bunch of fillers and episodes that nothing really happen over Kai anyday.

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:40 pm Back on topic, I don't know if this is unpopular, but I really like Giru. I think he's one of the best parts of GT.
Would you say he's the R2-D2 from DB? :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:21 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm Call me nostalgia blind, but if I ever decide to rewatch DBZ again, certainly will be the original. I never liked Kai, the soundtracks from the first part are okay, but performances are way below the original anime, the second part was just awful. I can take Z with the bunch of fillers and episodes that nothing really happen over Kai anyday.

ABED wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:40 pm Back on topic, I don't know if this is unpopular, but I really like Giru. I think he's one of the best parts of GT.
Would you say he's the R2-D2 from DB? :D
Wouldn't go that far as to call him R2-D2, but he's nowhere near Jar Jar territory.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm Call me nostalgia blind, but if I ever decide to rewatch DBZ again, certainly will be the original. I never liked Kai, the soundtracks from the first part are okay, but performances are way below the original anime, the second part was just awful. I can take Z with the bunch of fillers and episodes that nothing really happen over Kai anyday.

Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion? The vast majority seemed to like Z better than Kai?

The only fans who seem to like Kai better than Z are dub fans who at least have the self-awareness to realize Z dub’s shit from an acting, music, and dialog standpoint.

Fans of the Japanese version almost unanimously prefer Z to Kai and English dub fans who doesn’t fall into the above criteria almost completely prefer their Z to Kai.

It’s not unpopular to like Z better

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm

I have some ...
the power of kefla and caulifla is quite consistent in retrospective (anime)
as a relation of couple, chichi and goku are worse than trunks and mai
Majuub = superbuu because is the union of Kid buu / uub and mr buu

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Raimundo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:14 am Unpopular opinions? I find Jiren one of the cooler characters (though I don’t find him well written).

I find Vegeta to be one of the most boring characters in the entire series. He was great on Namek to me but became dreadfully boring afterwards and his character has never recovered for me. I never cared for his obsession over Goku especially when at times it felt like he cared way more about this rivalry than Goku did. It’s fine he still wants to surpass Goku, but I find myself annoyed when he still gets salty over him. I acknowledge his growth, but I don’t particularly care for the direction it took his character in. Add in things like how I’m told he’s this tactical genius when more often than not he’s portrayed as a brute, his skill set is dull, and outside a select few fights, the rest of his fights are boring as well.

Cell and his saga are in the running for the lowest point of the series.

Kid Goku and ToP-Current Goku are the best Goku. Z Goku is incredibly boring himself for feeling way too much like a plot device than an actual character at times
This is funny because I'm like the opposite opinion on most of these.

Jiren is by far the most generic main antagonist in whole franchise. No personality, generic backstory, plan design etc.

Vegeta is one of the few characters in the franchise with actual real character, personality and presence. He's one of the few side characters to actually make things happen in the story instead of being just another pointless background character like 95% of the cast. And his obsession with Goku is due to the fact that he casually achieved the 2 main things Vegeta was striving to do in life: become a SSJ and takedown Freeza.

Kid Goku (and Early DB in general) is highly overrated. Other than a few funny scenes here or there, I don't see much of the appeal of Kid Goku compared to his Adult Z self. There really isn't that much to him. Even the editors at Shonen Jump thought Kid Goku was boring, so they had Toriyama create Krillin (true story). Z Goku by contrast exhibits far more badassery and gravitas than any other version of the character, especially when compared to his relatively dumbed down, flanderized DBS self.
Last edited by ruler9871 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 pm

PFM18 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:29 am
Shaddy wrote:Vegeta is a little different. I don't agree with the people that say he shouldn't be Goku's rival or shouldn't even be fighting. I think in general he's mostly funneled his surpassing Goku and drive for self-improvement in a more constructive direction, he hasn't just reverted to his Cell era self like a lot of people say. e.
Well, that's exactly it. The way he approaches the rivalry is completely different. It is a much more productive way, and it borders on being a friendly rivalry. It certainly doesn't consume Vegeta's entire life and it is clear that Vegeta has other priorities in his life unlike his Cell Saga self. People that think he regressed to his early Cell-arc self are just confused.

And, I can't emphasize this enough, the last words in the manga are literally "I will surpass you one day, Kakarot!" So this idea that Vegeta should have no desire to surpass Goku whatsoever is just patently untrue. And no, it doesn't fucking matter that this is exclusive to the Kanzenban. Toriyama still wrote it in his manga.
True that. Admitting someone is better than you doesn't mean that you should give up trying to be better than that person. I always thought Vegeta's speech in the Buu arc was to simply show that he doesn't hate Goku anymore, not that he was gonna give up on his goal in life to be the greatest fighter ever. There's was no implication for that what-so ever.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am

I think DBZ is better than DB in almost every aspect
-better Fights
-better characters
-better world building
-better Story
-better Artstyle/Animation

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:23 am

Goten_jr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am I think DBZ is better than DB in almost every aspect
-better Fights
-better characters
-better world building
-better Story
Care to expand on any or all of these points?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:38 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm Majuub = superbuu because is the union of Kid buu / uub and mr buu
His original name is Super Uub for a reason i guess.
Majuub is basically Super Buu reincarnation (more powerful though)
Goten_jr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am I think DBZ is better than DB in almost every aspect
-better Fights
-better characters
-better world building
-better Story
It's not unpopular at all. In fact, it's too popular i'd say.
Better artstyle is obvious, the same way GT has better artstyle than DBZ.
Other points are debatable and subjective.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am

-better Fights
-better characters
-better world building
-better Story
DB & Z were based on the manga which was just one story, it was all DB. Whatever improvements seen in the later arcs were a natural development of what came before and Toriyama just getting better at his skills as time went on.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:38 am
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm Majuub = superbuu because is the union of Kid buu / uub and mr buu
His original name is Super Uub for a reason i guess.
Majuub is basically Super Buu reincarnation (more powerful though)
-better Fights
-better characters
-better world building
-better Story
It's not unpopular at all. In fact, it's too popular i'd say.
Other points are debatable and subjective.
Art style isn't an objective thing. Art style is the idea of characters having more rounded faces in Dragon Ball as opposed to the sharper edges and what not later in Z. Neither of those is objectively better than the other.

The actual quality of the art, or rather, the production values, are naturally better in Z. But art style is not so linear a path.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am

ruler9871 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 pm I always thought Vegeta's speech in the Buu arc was to simply show that he doesn't hate Goku anymore, not that he was gonna give up on his goal in life to be the greatest fighter ever. There's was no implication for that what-so ever.
In the manga's ending Vegeta went to the tournament to fight Goku so this idea that his speech meant he was giving up on fighting and had no desire to be the best is proven wrong in the exact same manga. Toriyama even expanded on this in the Kanzenban's ending.
ruler9871 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:53 pmThe editors at Shonen Jump thought Kid Goku was boring, so they had Toriyama create Krillin (true story).
This is the true story of what happened :

" Up until the Tenka’ichi Budōkai began, the series hadn’t been all that popular. At the time, Torishima-san told me “your protagonist is rather plain. That’s why it’s not popular”. When I had designed Goku’s character, the words that best represented him were “I want to become strong”. So I thought I’d bring that to the front. So I’d simply make the story into a tournament format. From there the Tenka’ichi Budōkai was born. I temporarily withdrew the other characters besides Goku, brought back Kame-Sen’nin, and added Kuririn as a new character. From there it got popular before I knew it".

Based on Toriyama's own words above, he himself added Krillin to the story to have more fighters for the tournament he was planning.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:38 am
GT's art style is pretty ugly, besides SSJ4.

No other art style in the franchise is better than the Buu saga/Yuya Takahashi style.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

I have to be brutally honest, I think the packaging on the Z Dragon Boxes looks terrible. I don't like the art, the yellow is a bit obnoxious, and the logo looks ugly to me.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm I have to be brutally honest, I think the packaging on the Z Dragon Boxes looks terrible. I don't like the art, the yellow is a bit obnoxious, and the logo looks ugly to me.
Really? I love the packaging. The FUNi ones anyway. I like the size of the boxes, the yellow, and most of the art. Freeza looks weird and first form Cell was an odd choice. Same with early Cell arc Gohan. Otherwise I love the art.

The Japanese Z ones on the other hand...yeesh. What were they thinking with the layout of the art?