Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 am Starting to really dislike the "big brained" Dragon Ball fans who act like they're so above all of the action and fighting aspect of the Dragon Ball...a Kung-Fu series where fighting is at its core. The ongoing cries for Dragon Ball to do "slice of life" stuff always mystifies me.
There needs to be a balance. Fighting is the main component of the franchise, but that doesn’t mean it can’t get excessive. The Tournament of Power was exhausting for many people because it was 30+ episodes of nothing but fighting. Even in terms of the Broly movie, the movie basically becomes one extended fight scene by the time Goku and Vegeta meet Broly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:55 pm

I don't think it was excessive at all. The structure was interesting, there were a bunch of interesting match ups, and it built. The Freeza fight was excessive in its length.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm

The Tournament of Power had a lot of moments where the fighting stops and lets the characters talk and interact with one another. It wasn’t non-stop fighting.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm The Tournament of Power had a lot of moments where the fighting stops and lets the characters talk and interact with one another. It wasn’t non-stop fighting.
I don’t literally mean that every second is devoted to the characters trading blows. That’s an absurd notion. I mean that the characters are in a single location where they fight for over 30 episodes. It can get pretty tedious for many people. Also, a lot of the moments of characters talking involve them saying the same thing over and over again. The Zen-Ohs will constantly remark on how exciting everything is, the spectators and the other fighters will constantly comment on how Goku keeps surpassing his limits. It’s so repetitive.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:24 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm The Tournament of Power had a lot of moments where the fighting stops and lets the characters talk and interact with one another. It wasn’t non-stop fighting.
I don’t literally mean that every second is devoted to the characters trading blows. That’s an absurd notion. I mean that the characters are in a single location where they fight for over 30 episodes. It can get pretty tedious for many people. Also, a lot of the moments of characters talking involve them saying the same thing over and over again. The Zen-Ohs will constantly remark on how exciting everything is, the spectators and the other fighters will constantly comment on how Goku keeps surpassing his limits. It’s so repetitive.
It's not the same characters fighting each other, and slice of life gets really tedious really quickly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 pm
It's not the same characters fighting each other, and slice of life gets really tedious really quickly.
It doesn’t matter. It’s still constant fighting in a single drab location, with a bunch of characters who aren’t the least bit interesting or fleshed out. And I never said that Dragon Ball should be all slice of life. I said there needs to be a balance between the fighting and other stuff.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:24 pm I don’t literally mean that every second is devoted to the characters trading blows. That’s an absurd notion. I mean that the characters are in a single location where they fight for over 30 episodes. It can get pretty tedious for many people. Also, a lot of the moments of characters talking involve them saying the same thing over and over again. The Zen-Ohs will constantly remark on how exciting everything is, the spectators and the other fighters will constantly comment on how Goku keeps surpassing his limits. It’s so repetitive.
It doesn’t matter. It’s still constant fighting in a single drab location, with a bunch of characters who aren’t the least bit interesting or fleshed out. And I never said that Dragon Ball should be all slice of life. I said there needs to be a balance between the fighting and other stuff.
It does matter since the fights have variety and even the location doesn't look the same over the course of the arc. The characters who need to be fleshed out are, and the characters who don't need to be usually have some memorable characteristic or moment. You last sentence is incredibly vauge.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:54 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:50 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 pm It's not the same characters fighting each other, and slice of life gets really tedious really quickly.
It does matter since the fights have variety and even the location doesn't look the same over the course of the arc. The characters who need to be fleshed out are, and the characters who don't need to be usually have some memorable characteristic or moment. You last sentence is incredibly vauge.
It’s really not that complicated. There needs to be more going on in a story than just fighting. Yes, the characters have a reason for fighting in the Tournament of Power, but when the only thing going on in the story for over 30 episodes is fighting, it can be difficult for some people to stay invested. Maybe you don’t have that problem, but people like me did. That’s why I was massively relieved when episode 131 was released.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm

The slice-of-life episodes are the best parts of the DBS anime. Toei sucks at writing plotlines when it comes to Dragon Ball so stories more character-driven are their specialty.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm The slice-of-life episodes are the best parts of the DBS anime. Toei sucks at writing plotlines when it comes to Dragon Ball so stories more character-driven are their specialty.
Whole heartedly disagree. They get old quickly. The baseball episode is fun, but that's about it.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:54 pm

It’s really not that complicated. There needs to be more going on in a story than just fighting. Yes, the characters have a reason for fighting in the Tournament of Power, but when the only thing going on in the story for over 30 episodes is fighting, it can be difficult for some people to stay invested. Maybe you don’t have that problem, but people like me did. That’s why I was massively relieved when episode 131 was released.
What's more? This is beginning to feel like you are generalizing YOUR opinion about what you like.

And given the length of the Freeza fight, I would argue that it's not true that people have a hard time staying invested in long battles. The only thing "more" viewers typically need is character. Fights between meatheads isn't interesting but fights between people with interesting and quirky personalities can keep an audience's attention.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:39 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:04 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:56 pm Even through the dub, I think Goku's basic motivation shines through and is clear. That's what appeals to people in those gyms. Gyms are all about pushing yourself to your limits and beyond.
I’ve honestly never known a single person outside of Internet forums to get hung up on the “paragon of justice”’ thing Funi attempted in 1999/2000 most people like Goku because, as you said, he’s always pushing himself to be better. Same reason Vegeta is hugely popular.

Never known an actual person who just thought “Hope of the universe” really spoke out to them.
I did to me as a kid honestly. I'm not surprised that people in gyms like watching DBZ, though personally i'd never be able to concentrate on watching a tv show while on a treadmill, i'd get too easily distracted and probably slip off and do a faceplant :lol:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 am Starting to really dislike the "big brained" Dragon Ball fans who act like they're so above all of the action and fighting aspect of the Dragon Ball...a Kung-Fu series where fighting is at its core. The ongoing cries for Dragon Ball to do "slice of life" stuff always mystifies me.
Nah this is not unpopular, in fact I agree with you. This is a Shonen after all, and this genre is centred around battles, so...

If I wanted to watch slice of life I'd go watch some random High School anime, not Dragon Ball.

But I'm sure Toriayma and Toei know this, that's why I think the new movie will be sort of like BoG. Did it have a lot of slice of life moments? Yes. Did those slice of life moments overshadow the big climactic fight? Nope.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:09 pm
Nah this is not unpopular, in fact I agree with you. This is a Shonen after all, and this genre is centred around battles, so...
It isn’t because shonen isn’t a genre and there’s plenty of slice of life shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:44 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm The slice-of-life episodes are the best parts of the DBS anime. Toei sucks at writing plotlines when it comes to Dragon Ball so stories more character-driven are their specialty.
Whole heartedly disagree. They get old quickly. The baseball episode is fun, but that's about it.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:54 pm
What's more? This is beginning to feel like you are generalizing YOUR opinion about what you like.

And given the length of the Freeza fight, I would argue that it's not true that people have a hard time staying invested in long battles. The only thing "more" viewers typically need is character. Fights between meatheads isn't interesting but fights between people with interesting and quirky personalities can keep an audience's attention.
It's not only character, but tension is also needed for a good story that has a healthy amount of action. The problem with comparing the Tournament of Power to the Freeza fight is that the resolution of the former was so predictable. Having the prize be a wish from the Super Dragon Balls negated the fear of entire universes being lost. Namek's destruction was a huge deal because of the escalated consequences the loss of the other set of Dragon Balls provided. There was a chance that the hard work Goku and his friends put into the trip to Namek could be invane if they couldn't resurrect the rest of the warriors the Saiyans killed without any silver lining. That was what made Goku and Freeza's fight investing. The Tournament of Power was good for the spectacle, but beyond that it felt very shallow.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm What's more? This is beginning to feel like you are generalizing YOUR opinion about what you like.

The Freeza fight is one of the most notorious parts of the DBZ anime. It’s widely regarded as the shining example of how tedious the anime can be, but even that tried to move away from the fight itself on several occasions. That’s why the anime threw in that subplot with Ginyu and Bulma, the subplot of Chi-Chi and the others trying to get to Namek and that one episode where Gohan fights Freeza while Goku is knocked out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 pm

Notorious perhaps but also one of DB's most popular periods.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:44 pm It's not only character, but tension is also needed for a good story that has a healthy amount of action. The problem with comparing the Tournament of Power to the Freeza fight is that the resolution of the former was so predictable. Having the prize be a wish from the Super Dragon Balls negated the fear of entire universes being lost. Namek's destruction was a huge deal because of the escalated consequences the loss of the other set of Dragon Balls provided. There was a chance that the hard work Goku and his friends put into the trip to Namek could be invane if they couldn't resurrect the rest of the warriors the Saiyans killed without any silver lining. That was what made Goku and Freeza's fight investing. The Tournament of Power was good for the spectacle, but beyond that it felt very shallow.
Did you honestly think they weren't going to succeed in wishing their friends back in the Freeza arc? The resolution to the Freeza fight was also predictable.

The tournament of power isn't as shallow as you believe. It's the natural and thematic closure to Super. A throughline of DBSuper was gods and their relationship to mortals. In the end, mortals proved their worth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 am

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 pm Notorious perhaps but also one of DB's most popular periods.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:44 pm It's not only character, but tension is also needed for a good story that has a healthy amount of action. The problem with comparing the Tournament of Power to the Freeza fight is that the resolution of the former was so predictable. Having the prize be a wish from the Super Dragon Balls negated the fear of entire universes being lost. Namek's destruction was a huge deal because of the escalated consequences the loss of the other set of Dragon Balls provided. There was a chance that the hard work Goku and his friends put into the trip to Namek could be invane if they couldn't resurrect the rest of the warriors the Saiyans killed without any silver lining. That was what made Goku and Freeza's fight investing. The Tournament of Power was good for the spectacle, but beyond that it felt very shallow.
Did you honestly think they weren't going to succeed in wishing their friends back in the Freeza arc? The resolution to the Freeza fight was also predictable.

The tournament of power isn't as shallow as you believe. It's the natural and thematic closure to Super. A throughline of DBSuper was gods and their relationship to mortals. In the end, mortals proved their worth.
Your not wrong that the ending of the Freeza arc was also predictable, but given the events that lead up to it and how fragile they were it felt earned. Goku could have died in Namek's explosion, and Freeza could have still been a huge threat if he travelled to Earth. And unlike the Tournament of Power (which basically promoted its own resolution), everything didn't instantly go back to normal after the Freeza arc. The Namekians lost their home and had to find a new one, Goku was still travelling through space, and as we found out later on Freeza wasn't even killed so he was still a threat. It's also worth noting Goku and Zeno were already friends, that also made it hard to believe in the tension.

The Super anime is also likely to continue, since the new movie is carrying the brand name and there's been two arcs in the manga of the same name. If the anime continues for some more arcs the Tournament of Power will inevitably carry less weight as a conclusion to the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 am
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 pm Notorious perhaps but also one of DB's most popular periods.

Your not wrong that the ending of the Freeza arc was also predictable, but given the events that lead up to it and how fragile they were it felt earned. Goku could have died in Namek's explosion, and Freeza could have still been a huge threat if he travelled to Earth. And unlike the Tournament of Power (which basically promoted its own resolution), everything didn't instantly go back to normal after the Freeza arc. The Namekians lost their home and had to find a new one, Goku was still travelling through space, and as we found out later on Freeza wasn't even killed so he was still a threat. It's also worth noting Goku and Zeno were already friends, that also made it hard to believe in the tension.

The Super anime is also likely to continue, since the new movie is carrying the brand name and there's been two arcs in the manga of the same name. If the anime continues for some more arcs the Tournament of Power will inevitably carry less weight as a conclusion to the series.
I said this on the Super board, but I sincerely hope the upcoming movie is the end of the Super era. I don’t have any interest in the anime coming back at this point. I guess that would be an unpopular opinion in and of itself.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 pm

The Namekians didn't have to find anything, they were magically transported to a New planet. And no way after the Freeza fight, Freeza posed any threat and Goku was always going to survive. Anything else isn't Toriyama-like at all. The ending of the Freeza fight felt earned because it was cathartic, not because it was up in the air as to who would win.

I don't really care about the tension. It's a non-issue. What was the issue is whether Goku and company would achieve their goals, fight some interesting characters, grow a little. It's like a good James Bond movie. No chance Bond is dying. That's not why we're there. We want the girls, the cars, the action, the locales, and the gadgets,

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 amThe Super anime is also likely to continue, since the new movie is carrying the brand name and there's been two arcs in the manga of the same name. If the anime continues for some more arcs the Tournament of Power will inevitably carry less weight as a conclusion to the series.
I think one difference between the Freeza saga and ToP is the characters acknowledge the wishes they want to make with the Namek Dragonballs but they have to survive and gather them before Freeza's army. In the ToP, some characters mention a few random wishes but no one brings up resurrecting the erased universes or questions of it's allowed since it would conflict with Zeno's goal of why he held the tournament in the first tournament.

The only characters to bring up resurrection were Vegeta and Cabba for only each other's universes. The audience is aware of what winning wish would be the most likely but at the same time it's kinda treated as a surprise that #17 would choose resurrecting the universes over a boat. The tournament stage isn't that big so imagine if someone yelled out "We promise to resurrect the other universes if we win!" then probably most characters would agree that's the right thing to do.