Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 am

Jackal puFF wrote: Hmm it's definitely not a popular opinion. Yes that is sarcasm. But if you don't mind me asking.. Why have an avatar of the "most hated thing in the whole franchise" ?
I was just thinking of an avatar that no one else would have. And I think Evolution Piccolo looks badass (don't kill me). :mrgreen:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:01 pm

FML, accidentally clicked the back button and entire post was deleted, so I'll just say what I was going to say in short. Jesus fuck, why does that happen? :evil:

Fine with the way the series ended up, probably wouldn't have been popular without Freeza & Boo arcs (big chunk of franchise).

Like Broli, including character design and backstory. He was insane, so no problem with his grudge against Gokuu.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 pm

My most unpopular DB opinion is that I don't think I have any more capacity to care any less in any way, shape, or form about what characters say to each other with regard to how strong they are, particularly in comparison to another character, and then interpreting those statements in relation to anything ever written via any medium about the franchise by anyone else on the planet in any language.

Also, Hyper Dimension isn't that good.

Get out the tar and feathers, because I am Enemy #1.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Also, Hyper Dimension isn't that good.
Will you stop antagonising that game!?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Also, Hyper Dimension isn't that good.
I'll up you on that one: "All Dragon Ball games are actually pretty bad."
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote: Hmm it's definitely not a popular opinion. Yes that is sarcasm. But if you don't mind me asking.. Why have an avatar of the "most hated thing in the whole franchise" ?
I was just thinking of an avatar that no one else would have. And I think Evolution Piccolo looks badass (don't kill me). :mrgreen:
Oh, lol. I think I had a piccolo avatar just like that when I started posting here.
Adamant wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Also, Hyper Dimension isn't that good.
I'll up you on that one: "All Dragon Ball games are actually pretty bad."
Gasp! No way, legends on the playstation was the bomb.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:49 pm

-Any cool moment I can recall from Z I can usually find done better in Dragon Ball. I'm another one who prefers to the original series. :P

-Dead Zone is a solid capper for Dragon Ball if you wanted to disregard Z all together (which I kind of do.)

-The Saiyan and Freeza arcs are Dragon Ball's final hurrah's in terms of story telling.

-DBZ Movie 4 is pretty kickin' rad.

-The old Z dub was silly beyond belief but I got something out of it even if that something was yucks at the amateur production quality. Dubbed Kai to me is Japanese Dragonball with wrong terminology,worse voice acting and a couple SDA's every other episode.

-DBZ Legends is saved solely by the amount of fan service it tosses at you. I don't like to throw around the term "Dragon Ball simulator" but without a doubt that title is fitting for Legends because god knows it isn't a great "game" but I still love it.

-Viz's translation is phenomenal and I'm pretty glad it turned out the way it did.

-In-Universe debates are the worst thing 99% of the time.

-We only sat through Budokai 3's shit because it had no competition. Thank god for IW.

That was a mouth full, I'm sure I have more though. :lol:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote: -DBZ Movie 4 is pretty kickin' rad.

-The old Z dub was silly beyond belief but I got something out of it even if that something was yucks at the amateur production quality. Dubbed Kai to me is Japanese Dragonball with wrong terminology,worse voice acting and a couple SDA's every other episode.

-In-Universe debates are the worst thing 99% of the time.

-We only sat through Budokai 3's shit because it had no competition. Thank god for IW.
Mind if I steal these?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Another one I just thought of, and assume is pretty unpopular based on posts I've seen in various toy threads:
"Articulated figures are pretty ugly"
No matter how hard you try to hide the joints (and many of these figures don't even bother trying at all), you always end up with tons of visible joints all over the place. I get the entire "you can choose the exact pose yourself" thing, but if I'm going to have a figure standing on a shelf looking cool, I'd rather it had one possible pose that actually looked good rather than a dozen possible poses that all had giant joints, hinges and whatnot uglying it up.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Another one of mine:

Piccolo is a total moron, though he gets better after merging with Kami.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Eight-Star Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eight-Star Dragon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 pm

I think the Cell saga is the best arc and would make the best ending for the series. Kai ending at Cell doesn't bother me at all. I think Freeza would have made a very bad ending, largely because Gohan's potential and inner power doesn't really go anywhere. Nappa should have stayed around longer. Occasional shoddy voice direction aside, the Big Green dub is pretty good.
Last edited by Eight-Star Dragon on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Well I guess I might have an unpopular opinion in that I love Budokai Tenkaichi. (at least the 3rd one. not sure on the others) It has every character I really want to play in a DB game. There is nothing quite like beating up people with my beloved Pan.

I'm not sure how unpopular this is but I detest Goten and Trunks. Their very existence is a mockery of Goku's legendary journey to Super Saiyan. Even Gohan was fighting galactic overlords by the time he was five so I can excuse his early transformation. Future Trunks also had proper incentive to transform.

But those two? They didn't do anything. They don't deserve to have that powerup. The mere fact they can fight 18 - the very 18 who made a mockery of Vegeta and who (in another timeline) would go on to decimate Earth's heroes - makes me sick.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Nikkolas wrote:Well I guess I might have an unpopular opinion in that I love Budokai Tenkaichi. (at least the 3rd one. not sure on the others) It has every character I really want to play in a DB game. There is nothing quite like beating up people with my beloved Pan.

I'm not sure how unpopular this is but I detest Goten and Trunks. Their very existence is a mockery of Goku's legendary journey to Super Saiyan. Even Gohan was fighting galactic overlords by the time he was five so I can excuse his early transformation. Future Trunks also had proper incentive to transform.

But those two? They didn't do anything. They don't deserve to have that powerup. The mere fact they can fight 18 - the very 18 who made a mockery of Vegeta and who (in another timeline) would go on to decimate Earth's heroes - makes me sick.
It's not in anyway different from Roshi spending 50 years to learn the Kamehameha and then kid Goku doing it effortlessly on his first try.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Except that was just because he's Goku. He was, even before the Saiyan business, supposed to be exceptional.

I can accept shounen heroes achieving things in very short order. Hell, it's to be expected from this type of fiction. But Goten and Trunks are an insult to one of the most amazing moments in anime or manga history.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 am

Nikkolas wrote:Except that was just because he's Goku. He was, even before the Saiyan business, supposed to be exceptional.

I can accept shounen heroes achieving things in very short order. Hell, it's to be expected from this type of fiction. But Goten and Trunks are an insult to one of the most amazing moments in anime or manga history.
Being super special is a pretty bad excuse. The boys at least have genetics on their side.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 am

Nikkolas wrote:Except that was just because he's Goku. He was, even before the Saiyan business, supposed to be exceptional.
And then Yamcha taught himself the move without help. And then Kuririn went, "If Yamcha can do it, maybe I can too!" and did his first one. And Tenshinhan did one literally just to show that he could perform a full, perfect version of the technique just by seeing it once, which puts even Goku's first attempt to shame.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:46 am

Mine's: Yamcha is helluva lot stronger than Kurillin. He could easily wipe the floor with Krillin using his Sokidan.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 am

People wanted the series to end with Freeza or Cell so badly, but I'm glad that it ended with the Buu saga. I'm happy how the series turn out and I don't know why people wanted it to end with Freeza so badly. If they ended with Freeza then I would have never became a fan and most people won't have neither.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 am

Adamant wrote:Another one I just thought of, and assume is pretty unpopular based on posts I've seen in various toy threads:
"Articulated figures are pretty ugly"
No matter how hard you try to hide the joints (and many of these figures don't even bother trying at all), you always end up with tons of visible joints all over the place. I get the entire "you can choose the exact pose yourself" thing, but if I'm going to have a figure standing on a shelf looking cool, I'd rather it had one possible pose that actually looked good rather than a dozen possible poses that all had giant joints, hinges and whatnot uglying it up.
I'd say the IF Labs figures are pretty good, both as articulated figures and statues since that was their purpose.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:10 am

TripleRach wrote:Let's see...

I guess I have lots of unusual (and possibly unique?) name preferences, because I'm a really strict consistency nut, so everything has to match a specific pattern. "Blooma" seems to be gaining enough support that I actually feel comfortable using it here now, but some others that seem unpopular: "Jiaozi," "Taobaibai," "Cacarrot," "Veget" (the fusion guy, AKA the strongest candy in the universe), "Namekku"... The introduction of Tarble has also made me consider switching to "Vegeeta," but I'm still undecided on that.
Hurrah. I feel slightly validated for some of my choices now. I always felt the odd one out for using "Blooma", "Vegeeta" and such. Might I suggest "Cacarrott" or "Cacarrotto"? At least then, everyone's favourite Potara fusion strongest-candy-in-the-universe retains his name. The only other thing I could suggest would be "Vegett", which looks a little odd, I must admit. I also personally like "Nameck" for a spelling of the planet, but admittedly, this doesn't really show as much of the "Namekuji" pun. That said, "Namekku" does add that extra little "k" in there, with romanisation, so I opted for adding that in. "Namekk" looked a little odd, so that's why I went with "Nameck".

Now, on topic... Hmm... I'm not really a fan of the Magical Being Boo stuff. I dunno how unpopular that is here, or how many people would agree with me, but I've just never really found it as fun. Once I found out that Toriyama had more ability to just write by the seat of his pants, it makes a bit more sense. It just seemed that whatever was going on was a bit too cluttered, and some of the humour takes away from drama. Plus, Boo took away the unique quality Cell had where he had to absorb people to get energy, and was programmed to copy other people's moves. Boo just did it because... ... ... Umm... 'Cause why the hell not? Boo just seemed overpowered to me. He could regenerate from everything and even Cell had his limits1, he could copy any move he wanted AND had moves of his own, he absorbed people and got stronger that way, he had enough power to just blow up planets on a whim with no effort, he had the ability to screw over the rules of dimensions2 just because, and the list goes on and on. I just never really found him that enjoyable.

Ummm... I'm gonna get majorly disliked for this, but I think Nozawa is a wee bit overrated. She is (dare I say it, WAS) good, and it's impressive that an actress of her age is still going with these roles, but I find certain bits of her acting to be just a bit annoying, and I honestly can't get my head around all the sheer blind love she gets. Maybe it's just because she was the first person people heard, and so it's that principle at work (which is why a lot of Funimation fans prefer the voices they heard first), or I don't know what.

1 Disregarding the whole "I can only regenerate from my nucleus", "Uhh, didn't Gokuu blast your head clean off, earlier?" "Umm... Shut up!" plot hole.

2 Yes, yes, I know, it's partly to do with the whole "It's magic" deal, but even magic is meant to have limits.