Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm As time has gone on I have grown to like the Kai dub's singular, one off usage of "Son Goku" less and less. The issue I have is that, while it's neat in isolation, it sort of breaks the dub's internal logic. If one were to be going through the series for the first time, in a vacuum, using the dub, and watching Kai for the Z bit, they would have absolutely no clue what "Son Goku" was. Now sure, many viewers, maybe even most, would be able to figure it out pretty quick, but now in trying to figure it out they are distracted from the actual content of the scene, one which is supposed to be this grand, important scene.

And besides, if they really wanted to have a one off use of the name, why not use it in, say, the Boo arc, instead of trying to completely rewrite the way in which Videl figures out Gohan's connection to Goku.
I don’t know follow the video games, like, at all but don’t the video games English localization use Son Goku every now and then?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm I don’t know follow the video games, like, at all but don’t the video games English localization use Son Goku every now and then?
It's been VERY spotty if it's been done. The only game that stood out to ME was FighterZ where Goku said it in the dub for one of his pre-fight one-liners.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm As time has gone on I have grown to like the Kai dub's singular, one off usage of "Son Goku" less and less. The issue I have is that, while it's neat in isolation, it sort of breaks the dub's internal logic. If one were to be going through the series for the first time, in a vacuum, using the dub, and watching Kai for the Z bit, they would have absolutely no clue what "Son Goku" was. Now sure, many viewers, maybe even most, would be able to figure it out pretty quick, but now in trying to figure it out they are distracted from the actual content of the scene, one which is supposed to be this grand, important scene.

And besides, if they really wanted to have a one off use of the name, why not use it in, say, the Boo arc, instead of trying to completely rewrite the way in which Videl figures out Gohan's connection to Goku.
I don’t know follow the video games, like, at all but don’t the video games English localization use Son Goku every now and then?
Burst Limit used it once, and I believe FighterZ did too. There may have been one in XV2 as well but I could be wrong on that

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Burst Limit used it once, and I believe FighterZ did too. There may have been one in XV2 as well but I could be wrong on that

Thanks, I’m not really well versed with the games but I was under the impression they were a bit better at including things the actual tv dub avoided like ki and Son Goku.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:32 pm Thanks, I’m not really well versed with the games but I was under the impression they were a bit better at including things the actual tv dub avoided like ki and Son Goku.
I just remembered Sagas, that shitty Western-developed Atari game, actually said "Ki" instead of "Energy" in the tutorial section on the Lookout as said by Kami.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 am Burst Limit used it once, and I believe FighterZ did too. There may have been one in XV2 as well but I could be wrong on that
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't his speech in burst limit the first time funi used the name "son goku" ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:24 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:27 am Burst Limit used it once, and I believe FighterZ did too. There may have been one in XV2 as well but I could be wrong on that
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't his speech in burst limit the first time funi used the name "son goku" ?
I believe it was the first time yes.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:24 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm
I believe it was the first time yes.
It was also the first time they completely dropped the “I am the hope of the universe” speech. For whatever reason, previous DBZ games always kept that line in, despite otherwise being faithful to the Japanese scripts. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 tried to have it both ways with the speech, but Burst Limit was the first time they did what was basically a spot on translation of it.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:32 pm Thanks, I’m not really well versed with the games but I was under the impression they were a bit better at including things the actual tv dub avoided like ki and Son Goku.
I just remembered Sagas, that shitty Western-developed Atari game, actually said "Ki" instead of "Energy" in the tutorial section on the Lookout as said by Kami.
I liked that game, honestly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Mac wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am I liked that game, honestly.
You might fancy reevaluating it. It's not really that good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm
Mac wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am I liked that game, honestly.
You might fancy reevaluating it. It's not really that good.
It doesn't have to be good to be enjoyable.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 pm It doesn't have to be good to be enjoyable.
True. TFS did a let's play where they just made fun of it the whole time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 pm It doesn't have to be good to be enjoyable.
True. TFS did a let's play where they just made fun of it the whole time.
I didn't mean it that way. I hate the whole "I like it because I like making fun of it". I could be obnoxious and say TFS a great example of something not being good and people still liking it anyway.

I simply meant it's not a good game, but I enjoyed it, just like Four Christmases isn't a good movie, but I still love watching it every Christmas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 pm

An unpopular opinion ... I don't like "Xeno-characters" ... the idea of xeno-trunks makes sense in dragon ball oneline since it was the way that trunks paid their sins when traveling in time without precaution but that each or other character has an xeno form ... it seems only an excuse to sell to the same characters ... xeno-goku is goku just than he time traveling

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:48 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 pm I didn't mean it that way. I hate the whole "I like it because I like making fun of it". I could be obnoxious and say TFS a great example of something not being good and people still liking it anyway.

I simply meant it's not a good game, but I enjoyed it, just like Four Christmases isn't a good movie, but I still love watching it every Christmas.
I see. While I disagree on TFS not being good, since I think they do more good than bad, I get what you mean. Like how Nicktoons Unite isn't a good game (better than Sagas because I enjoyed the writing & it had the makings of a decent cashgrab, but I digress), but I still enjoyed it despite all of its flaws.

I mean, "So bad, it's good" media is great! When something is legitimately made horribly, but there's a certain charm & sincerity to it that the people behind it didn't intend to be enjoyed in that way, those are great for riffing on. Like the Emily Osment Cyberbully. It's basically a feature-length Full House episode, but when it gets to the, "I can't get the cap off!" scene, I laugh my ass off because that scene is so beautifully awful, I can't help but make fun of it. Hell, DragonBall Evolution is a great movie to riff on because of how terrible it is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I've never understood the whole "so bad it's good" thing. I mean, I get it in small bites, but not in terms of feature length stuff. Many of Nic Cage's performances or simply individual deliveries are so terrible but delightfully over the top you can't help but like them. However, I can't watch a god awful movie that I enjoy BECAUSE it's bad.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm I've never understood the whole "so bad it's good" thing. I mean, I get it in small bites, but not in terms of feature length stuff. Many of Nic Cage's performances or simply individual deliveries are so terrible but delightfully over the top you can't help but like them. However, I can't watch a god awful movie that I enjoy BECAUSE it's bad.
That's not what "So bad, it's good" means. There's a thin line between it & actually bad. It's not that they're bad, but that they're enjoyably bad to the point of being unintentionally entertaining in other ways than the filmmakers expected. "So bad, it's good" films also mostly run on reputation or word of mouth. The Room mostly runs on its reputation to the point where it's attracted a large cult following. It's legitimately a very bad movie, but from what I've seen from it, it has a LOT of entertaining bits, like Tommy Wiseau's weird writing, direction, & acting. The film's also more fascinating in how bad it is than actually being incompetently made.
Unfriended is another film that was intended to be a horror movie, but the majority of the film is BORING minus 2 moments. The one I immediately remember is where a guy is forced to shoot himself, but the moment is SO melodramatic & poorly executed that it becomes unintentionally funny. I know that makes me sound like a terrible person, but if you watched that scene, it would be understandable. A friend of mine & I watched that film together because we were looking for an enjoyably bad film to watch & I saw Your Movie Sucks' review of it beforehand, so I thought it would be good. My friend laughed for like 5-10 minutes straight HARD at that scene because it was so bad (though he also has a pretty dark sense of humor), but I think that just shows my point.
You said yourself that a lot of Nic Cage performances are delightfully entertaining, so it's kinda like that for more parts than just 1 thing about it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:59 pm

I get what it means. I'm saying there's a time issue for me. I could never watch the entirety of The Room or Manos Hands of Fate because they are so bad. I can watch clips, but not the whole. At a certain point, you hit the point of diminishing marginal returns and then there's the point where it goes outright negative.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm I've never understood the whole "so bad it's good" thing. I mean, I get it in small bites, but not in terms of feature length stuff. Many of Nic Cage's performances or simply individual deliveries are so terrible but delightfully over the top you can't help but like them. However, I can't watch a god awful movie that I enjoy BECAUSE it's bad.
There’s levels. I feel like “So bad it’s good” is a misnomer. A film can be really bad and just excruciatingly painful to watch or even boring. The awfulness can be part of the charm but it still has to be watchable.

The Sleepaway Camp trilogy is a good example for me of a series that is “so bad it’s good” is has bad acting, poor use of low budget, and awful direction but they’re entertaining (sans the 4th film which is just bad). The right kind of awful.

I think guilty pleasure is a better term for entertainment that falls under “so bad it’s good” I’m well aware this thing is trite but I still enjoy it in spite of or because of it.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Something bad can still be entertaining much in the way that something good might not necessarily be all that engaging in spite of its quality.