Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:05 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm
But, but....at least he didn't fight Goku because he cried as a kid! New version fights him because...well, why exactly? I mean entire Goku crying thing was silly, but at least there was ANY reason for their fight. New movie just puts Goku there to fight Broly for no reason. They wanted revenge on Vegeta, but they forgot it's a new Broly and made him rush at Goku.

Yeah, that movie was dumb as hell and i can't understand people bashing OG Broly but praising this one. People were laughing for years how op old Broly was because his LSSJ form was able to trash every SSJ1 in sight. New Broly only needs regular SSJ to trash two SSJBs and apparently it all makes sense now. Don't even start with entire "new Broly is more intelligent and isn't just screaming around" which is complete bullshit as it's actually opposite.
I agree 100%. Really shows how Toriyama's name and pretty animation changes someone's view. it's hypocritical honestly.
I mean, the script got cut down from a 3-hour one. Some things clearly got cut for time.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:08 pm
But, but....at least he didn't fight Goku because he cried as a kid! New version fights him because...well, why exactly? I mean entire Goku crying thing was silly, but at least there was ANY reason for their fight. New movie just puts Goku there to fight Broly for no reason. They wanted revenge on Vegeta, but they forgot it's a new Broly and made him rush at Goku.

Yeah, that movie was dumb as hell and i can't understand people bashing OG Broly but praising this one. People were laughing for years how op old Broly was because his LSSJ form was able to trash every SSJ1 in sight. New Broly only needs regular SSJ to trash two SSJBs and apparently it all makes sense now. Don't even start with entire "new Broly is more intelligent and isn't just screaming around" which is complete bullshit as it's actually opposite.
I agree 100%. Really shows how Toriyama's name and pretty animation changes someone's view. it's hypocritical honestly.
I mean, the script got cut down from a 3-hour one. Some things clearly got cut for time.
Yeah I dunno why we can't get an extended cut or a least an interview saying what was cut.

My guess would be they are holding back the extra material for the anime?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 am

Here's a very unpopular opinion in top of another

The super manga is the truer canon, toriyama works closer to it so it's “closer to the original creators artistic vision” and given toyo is Tori's chosen successor any random bullshit he comes up with is also closer to that than any random bullshit Toei creates.

You can enjoy one more than the other but if you think Copy vegeta arc is what Toriyama imagined happening in the dragon world after he didn't want to draw it weekly any more you are insane.

Anyway some people share that hot take of mine, but here's the unpopular second take:

“With this in mind Toyos promotional manga up to base Goku Vs Freeza is what happened in the manga continuity version of RoF and it's better up to that point.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 28, 2021 8:53 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am I mean, the script got cut down from a 3-hour one. Some things clearly got cut for time.
Yeah I dunno why we can't get an extended cut or a least an interview saying what was cut.

Animating a whole 'nother hour & change of the movie would be too costly for them. It's not like adding the recap prologue to BOG, or some scenes & the added ending to Res F. Toei would need a return on the investment. Those got extended versions because they aired on TV in Japan & were relatively small add-ons, which didn't cost too much to animate & pay the VAs for their time to record them. An extended version like that would require adding on half of the movie back on, the footage of which doesn't exist yet. At best, they may have storyboarded it, but the best we know is of Toriyama's original script, so it'd cost them a lot more money.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Wait there are people who actually want an extended cut of Broly?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 28, 2021 11:41 pm

#ReleaseThe3HourBrolyCut

Seriously though, I don’t see what the appeal in that would be.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 am

ABED wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 pm Wait there are people who actually want an extended cut of Broly?
Yes & I'm 1 of them.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 am

I mean, I would like to see a 3 hour cut of Broly, but the chance of that happening is smaller than a needle point.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 am
ABED wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 pm Wait there are people who actually want an extended cut of Broly?
Yes & I'm 1 of them.
Dear lord, why? I get the idea of wanting more of something you like, but maybe the amount of it is a big part of the reason we like something so much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 am

3 hours is long for any film especially for a film for a series that has never been that deep or overtly complex.

Did anyone watch Super Broli and really thought “wow I feel like I’m missing something!” ? Wasn’t one of the chief criticisms of Super Broly was all the Dragon Ball Minus stuff was completely unnecessary to the plot and only exist to force Toriyama’s version of the end of Planet Vegeta on viewers?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 29, 2021 10:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 am 3 hours is long for any film especially for a film for a series that has never been that deep or overtly complex.

Did anyone watch Super Broli and really thought “wow I feel like I’m missing something!” ? Wasn’t one of the chief criticisms of Super Broly was all the Dragon Ball Minus stuff was completely unnecessary to the plot and only exist to force Toriyama’s version of the end of Planet Vegeta on viewers?
Exactly, DB battles are often fast paced and intense. It works best when it's kept short or its broken into pieces (i.e. chapters/episodes). I believe every movie over 90 or so minutes needs to justify its runtime otherwise it's disrespecting the audience's time

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:30 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:14 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 am

An extended cut wouldnt make the movie better imo. We already had the god awful Minus shoe-horned in, we don't need more of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 am I mean, I would like to see a 3 hour cut of Broly, but the chance of that happening is smaller than a needle point.
Better chance of Toei adapting it into a new show, weirdly enough.
ABED wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am Dear lord, why? I get the idea of wanting more of something you like, but maybe the amount of it is a big part of the reason we like something so much.
Because I felt the movie hit a lot of emotional resonance with me & why I love Dragon Ball. Which is a feat because it's a movie rebooting BROLY, of all characters. I'd like to see if there was anymore world building with the Saiyans, character building of Broly & Goku (his accepting of his Saiyan name at the end of the movie comes right out of nowhere & I wonder if there was supposed to be an arc for him that made that make sense.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 am 3 hours is long for any film especially for a film for a series that has never been that deep or overtly complex.

The criticism of the Minus stuff is the fact that they adapted it in the first place, since people that like Bardock's original portrayal in his TV Special, which was thought to be canon for over 20 years because Toriyama referenced him in the manga itself after the special aired, hate Minus for retconning his personality & the Saiyan homeworld. However, some people are ok with it since they expanded on it a little bit. Who knows, maybe not all of the cut stuff was that great, there's a reason at least SOME of it was cut, but I'm willing to bet at least some of it would be great re-incorporated into the movie. I'd certainly at least like some details on what was cut.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:30 pm An extended cut wouldnt make the movie better imo. We already had the god awful Minus shoe-horned in, we don't need more of that.
I'll b honest with the fact that them adapting Minus into it wasn't actually that bad for the story they were trying to tell. They took 1 of the Jaco manga's worst parts & turned it into a strength with starting the movie off strong. It's weird to say that about Minus, but it's true. The movie was supposed to be about the Saiyans, so that made sense to do. It also gives Broly a proper origin & it doesn't feel stupid like Broly's origin explanation in his first movie.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 29, 2021 10:32 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Noah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:43 pm Not sure how unpopular this is, but Zamasu is not a good villain: The biggest problem is that he’s an overused character type: the self-righteous visionary villain with a god complex, and yet he has none of the depth and complexity that normally comes with that character type. He’s completely one-dimensional with a silly, threadbare motivation for hating mortals, which more or less just seems like an excuse for him to be evil. I personally just think that the character archetype doesn’t really work in the Dragon Ball universe; you can’t turn Light Yagami into a Dragon Ball villain without turning him into a caricature. But if you were going to try to make him work as a villain, more time needed to be devoted to developing his character.
I've always given Zamasu credit for being a new type of villain for Dragon Ball, but this is a good point. Some character archetypes just don't fit Dragon Ball, and an antagonist like Zamasu with ideological motives does wade into the kind of depth that Dragon Ball typically doesn't do.
They could have made Zamasu a character that could be redempted, that faced his alternate self with other ideals and thoughts that he in another timeline was able to overcome, that would make me be like him a little bit more.
Hypersayian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am Didnt like the new Broly movie. Half the movie was the history of the Sayians which we allready saw several times - the other half was Broly Power Maximummest! Dont mind all the struggles and training and new transformations Goku and Vegeta went through in the last 50 years - Broly just surpasses all of this within 10 Minutes....
I'm glad more people are adressing this bullsh*t, sure DB don't have much care for powerscalling, but at least in Movie 8 it made sense for LSSJ Broly stomp a bunch of common SSJs, but nowadays with the same form, but with the "prodigy/mutant" excuse and having the heroes the need of fusing and using their strongest form it is just too much.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 30, 2021 8:19 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:33 pm Because I felt the movie hit a lot of emotional resonance with me & why I love Dragon Ball. Which is a feat because it's a movie rebooting BROLY, of all characters. I'd like to see if there was anymore world building with the Saiyans, character building of Broly & Goku (his accepting of his Saiyan name at the end of the movie comes right out of nowhere & I wonder if there was supposed to be an arc for him that made that make sense.
Do you want something that is emotionally resonant or do you want more worldbuilding?

Goku had accepted his Saiyan name LONG ago. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he didn't and it took this movie to do so.

I'll say until the cow goes home, world building is entirely overrated. People don't need everything spelled out to them. Seeing that backstory and lore play out is usually disappointing. Less is more.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 am

Goku asking Broly to call him by his Saiyan name always seemed like a forced attempt to justify Broly saying that name, but outside of some of the older movies, Goku never showed any aversion to being called that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 am

But Goku didn't specifically ask Broly to call him by that, did he? That female character asks his name and Goku says "I"m Goku, and also, Kakarot".

Like you said, he doesn't care being called "Kakarot" by anyone. The way Goku says means he won't mind that Broly and those other two characters call him like that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun May 30, 2021 12:13 pm

Goku accepted his Saiyan Heritage when he donned Vegeta-cosplay and called himself "Kakarotto" for a bit.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:46 pm

I know in some of the old Z movies he specifically rejects his Saiyan name and by extension heritage as well, but for the most part in the series he doesn't really have much if any objection to others especially Vegeta referring to him by it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 pm

I honestly don't understand why so many people want Broly to appear in the next stories. I mean, I understand in the sense that he is a popular character, but I don't know exactly what he could contribute to the cast in terms of interesting interactions with other characters or fun dynamics with Goku and Vegeta (I remember that the idea of the new Saiyan trio being Goku, Vegeta and Broly became quite popular when the movie was released). In that sense, he is similar to the OG Broly.

The biggest appeal regarding the character was always when he was posed as an unprecedented threat to the heroes, and being placed on the other side would mean that his image of an invincible powerhouse would be changed and that's basically his entire character. I'm not necessarily saying that other Z Fighters should be more active instead (as some people think their time has passed), but then they can just pick any other character with more potential to lead new stories