Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:22 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:21 pm No writer is strong enough to pull it off. It's ridiculous on its face. What benefit you get from the surprise you would sacrifice in terms of emotional resonance.

They didn't misunderstand Goku's character and Flanderize is a dumb useless term. He does show love for his family in Super. I don't see where ANYONE watching the show gets that idea. That's not merely me disagreeing with you, it's apparently and Unpopular DB opinion because I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing.
Some shows have episodes revolving around characters we don't know, yet get invested in anyways. Doctor Who, for instance, had Blink, a very superb episode that no one needs any prior knowledge of the show to enjoy, as you're put in the main character, Sally's, shoes. Anthology shoes like Twilight Zone make it their business to write episodes based around new casts of characters consistently & try to bring emotional resonance to the audience. The Doctor Who comparison is more apt here, & I'd recommend it to anyone who's never seen the show before, it's that good. However, it takes a specific writer in their element to do that, of which none of the Super writers are even remotely to that level. I don't even think Toriyama's able to do that & he's 10x the writer they are when he's not lazy, in a bind, or burnt out.

To explain what I mean about Goku's character for a sec...
You'd be right to say Goku still loves his family, that I can mostly give you. "Flanderize" is just as good a term as any & it's instantly recognizable, whether or not you know where it comes from, since it's a generally accepted term for making a character a shadow of their former self, so, I'd rather not spend too much time typing out the definition every time, if you catch my drift.
Where Goku falls into this is how he acts. In the hands of anyone but Toriyama, Super's go-to writing for Goku is to ramp up his simpleton traits to the point where he legitimately comes off as too dumb to live. Goku hasn't been this since he was a kid & for a reason. To have an adult act like this is stupid. There are a lot of adults who're written to act like this in media, so Goku's not the only one, but we're talking Goku here. It's not at all helped by the writers consistently using Goku as overt comic relief, even in serious moments. It's like Fry in Futurama's later seasons. He wasn't any different than in the earlier ones, but, as less episodes focused on him, & he was just used as punchlines to jokes more often, people thought he'd been dumbed down too much as a result.
I don't mind if the slice of life episodes take a more comedic approach, as they're meant to be more lax & comedic in nature, but they even used Goku as the butt of jokes in more serious moments as well. I think this is definitely shown in how Nozawa & Schemmel play him. While I haven't sampled enough of Nozawa to get a perfect fix on how she normally plays Goku, Schemmel's performance definitely got tweaked to fit this more comedic tone for the worst, which is not to say he doesn't fit the role or is a bad actor. Despite opinions I've shared on him, or what some people here may say, he's grown into the role & Kai & the 2013-on movies feature superb acting from him as he's learned how to actually voice act. He was clearly chosen to play the more commanding & powerful side of Goku's personality, as well as piggyback off of Peter Kalemis' portrayal when FUNi wanted to save money by moving the Z dub's production down to Texas in 1999. I'd say Kalemis is more capable of portraying Goku's more comedic side, as he's a more experienced actor, but it's not like Schemmel's awful in it. It's just not in his usual wheelhouse. His normal Goku portrayal is changed into a more higher-pitched one to try to both take influence from Nozawa as well as match Super's tone, which doesn't fit his usual style at all, not that it's his fault. And, listening to clips, it's definitely apparent that Nozawa's being directed to do something similar with her portrayal, as her voice is higher in delivery as well than it needs to be or probably should be.
By doing this, as well as dumbing him down to "naive, stupid manchild," it leaves Goku a shadow of his former self. I have no doubts Goku would wanna train all the time, wouldn't wanna work for a living to skip out on training, would train with Whis, & would wanna fight a bunch of strong opponents in a multiverse tournament. However, why would Goku act like a child to get out of work by running away from Chichi in a comedic scene just to catch up to Whis to train with him, or leave his 9/10-year-old son (yes, that's how old Goten is at the start of Super if you do the math) to drive a tractor around as he does some quick training while on the job, or not take the threat of Xeno wiping out every universe that loses in the Tournament of Power more seriously?
Goku took his training with Roshi, Korrin, Kami, & King Kai seriously for different reasons, had reasons to allow him to train (some selfish, but with an underlying hint of not being so), & took the 23rd World Tournament & Cell Games very seriously. Granted, in the Cell Games, he let his pride in Gohan get ahead of common sense, the same happened with Buu, but he largely took them seriously, which is why he had pride in his kids & Trunks to take care of the situations at hand, which only shows how mature he can be to analyze power levels, or just hope that his sons can get the job done when he could do so as well. Granted, that's also a problem of bad & forced writing in Buu's case, but one problem at a time here. While Goku still has these traits, they're overshadowed by the writers of Super not knowing how to write him & ramping up these traits more than they should be, making him more like Monkey D. Luffy, who's on purpose an over-the-top boisterous character. Goku's more reserved than that usually. And, Goku's selfish, but not like he is in Super by any means. It's a character flaw, not one of his main character traits, which is the problem the rest stem from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KiXfJnMVUE (timestamp 6:17)
That link is a video I think I've linked you, or someone else here, before where the guy who made it goes over it very quickly, summing up the point very well. I suggest watching it, as I don't just wanna regurgitate all of his points. He even quickly talks about how other characters were dumbed down to their base traits as well.
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:43 pm True but a part of me wonders if they wouldn't flourish when pushed into unfamiliar territory. And with the new characters being mostly blank slates for them to right from scratch, there would be no established characters for them to mess up.
I mean, these writers CAN have good ideas. The problems were that they weren't given proper guidance for how to write some of the characters, or how to properly write arcs. I imagine the timeframes in which they were given to write the arcs & episodes didn't help either, just like it didn't help the animators. I'm willing to bet most of them also probably didn't have more than a few weeks to draft scripts effectively. These are probably writers more used to adapting mangas to animes, which I could believe. That's far easier to do than adapt a mostly vague plot outline that's not finished when they start production with showrunners who aren't much better off. A good showrunner will override an episode writer's decisions by correcting lacking parts, or having them write another draft of the script(s) with the corrections after instructing them on what they did wrong or what could be improved. Super had like 3-5 over its course, right? I could believe that given how inconsistent its quality was in its writing.
Then there's the fact that these are pre-established characters in a pre-established world. Doing a sequel, especially without the original creator at the helm who's giving you plot outlines, is tough if you don't have the best writing staff available to do the job. A more original project with new characters is much easier to handle for most, so I have no doubts that these writers would do better with that. It's a tough call, though, for them. They really needed a series bible outlining character personalities & portrayals to follow before doing anything with Super, but nope.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:43 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:22 pm Some shows have episodes revolving around characters we don't know, yet get invested in anyways.
INdividual episodes, not LONG stretches. How does no one understand that to be fundamentally different?

Twilight Zone is anthology series. The whole conceit of the show is they're all one offs

Flanderize is utterly stupid and uneccessary. Caricature has been around forever and means the same thing.
It's not at all helped by the writers consistently using Goku as overt comic relief, even in serious moments. It's like Fry in Futurama's later seasons. He wasn't any different than in the earlier ones, but, as less episodes focused on him, & he was just used as punchlines to jokes more often, people thought he'd been dumbed down too much as a result.
This comes off as disingenuous. DB has tons of humor and heaven forbid we hear/see something funny even in a tense moment, but I'm bereft of an example of what people are talking about when they say he's used as comic relief in a serious moment or why that would be a bad thing to begin with. It reminds me of those dumb complaints about tone where DC fans knock Marvel for having humor along side dramatic moments.

And oh dear god, now some are bitching about Fry's role in Futurama? FFS. Fry is dumb but loveable. That's his entire character.
or leave his 9/10-year-old son (yes, that's how old Goten is at the start of Super if you do the math) to drive a tractor around as he does some quick training while on the job, or not take the threat of Xeno wiping out every universe that loses in the Tournament of Power more seriously?
Do you think Goten is in some danger driving a tractor? Also, I think people forget that Goku intentionally let Vegeta go for the sake of a fight and let Dr. Gero create the cyborgs even with advanced warning. Goku does questionable things for the sake of a fight.
took the 23rd World Tournament & Cell Games very seriously.
Goku refused help even though the world was on the line and he was in bad shape because accepting help would cost him the tournament.
Goku gives Cell a senzu so the fight against Gohan will be "fairer".

I'll tell you again just like I tell everyone else with a youtube link. I refuse on principle to watch any of those videos of youtube armchair experts. Unless it's a professional critic, I refuse to watch them. They are god awful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:58 pm

If Goku is written like a caricature and excessively humorous in Super it's probably because Super is written like a caricature and excessively humorous in Super. That's just how much it differs from the old series.

As for humor and drama, it is possible to have both within one story at the same time, but that doesn't mean that dramatic and tense moments should be undercut by injecting comedy inappropriately. Marvel, as in the actual comic books, understood this. Marvel Comics were never gag books, unlike DB.

As for Goten driving a tractor, that kind of thing seems common for out in the country. Sometimes farming demands that everyone pitches in, including young children doing things that in another environment would seem unusual.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 am

I had driven a tractor by the age of 8.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:42 am

Goku once trusted the entire fate of the universe to Goten and Trunks yet apparently there is an issue for some people with him trusting Goten with a tractor? :roll:

This is what I mean people are so scared to be critical of the original series yet complain about the stupidest things for modern DB.

I don't think modern DB is flawless or perfect far from it but any complaint against can be found the old series. It's just how DB is writen, one of those things you can't think too much about which is why I only pop into Kanzenshuu once in a while now.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:52 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 am I had driven a tractor by the age of 8.
Likewise, but my grandmother also lived out in the middle of nowhere and her late fiance used to teach us to shoot and hunt before the age of 10.

Some kid in the country driving a tractor with an adult nearby isn't that unheard of.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

I honestly feel like the OSTs used during the scenes during which Goku sacrifices himself against Cell, Gohan kills Cell and the point right before Majin Vegeta sacrifices himself against Boo didn't really fit in the original Japanese audio.

The tracks used just feel so lackluster or just feel so out of place compared to what's actually going on in the screen, and coming from somdone who's first experience of DBZ wasn't actually the original Japanese version, it was kind of jarring to hear these specific scenes. Don't get me wrong, the DBZ Japanese version usually has amazingly placed OSTs, but the placement in each of these scenes (especially given how iconic they are) just didn't work out for me.

If any of you need to be reminded of them, here they are:
Goku sacrifice against Cell: https://youtu.be/mAQhBg6Nkv0?t=5
Gohan killing Cell: https://youtu.be/cAVfW94s0rg?t=106
Vegeta sacrifice against Boo: https://youtu.be/3m1qQMo2pg0?t=106

And yes, I believe the Kai versions for Goku's sacrifice (Yamamoto version) and Vegeta's sacrifice were done so much better. Here they are:
Goku sacrifice against Cell (Kai): https://youtu.be/4Qi-wJ7FujE?t=21
Vegeta sacrifice against Boo (Kai): https://youtu.be/itEkyhV0P_s?t=5

The reason I didn't include the Kai version of Gohan killing Cell was because I felt like its own Kikuchi placement was also poorly placed. So for Gohan killing Cell, American OST wins here :P

Gohan killing Cell (American version): https://youtu.be/I0WaiRulyoY?t=50

And here's the Kai version if interested:
Gohan killing Cell (Kai): https://youtu.be/LM9SlgWRqgo?t=80

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:19 pm

While interesting that many of you have driven tractors before your age was even double digits, the far more simple fact is that Goten is super strong. He could crash into the ground from Kami's Temple and survive. The tractor poses ZERO danger to him. And yes, I do agree with whoever said people are just looking for reasons to hate on Goku and Super.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Sometimes I have a feeling that main reason why Goku is in DBS the way he is, is because authors, wanna constantly repeat that trope of him being underestimated, only so that he eventually transforms, and once again wows everyone around him.

In fact, ever since DBZ, it always seemed to me that purpose of transformations is more to impress those around the one who is transforming (especially if that person is a Saiyan), than for the purpose of an actual fight.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm Sometimes I have a feeling that main reason why Goku is in DBS the way he is, is because authors, wanna constantly repeat that trope of him being underestimated, only so that he eventually transforms, and once again wows everyone around him.

In fact, ever since DBZ, it always seemed to me that purpose of transformations is more to impress those around the one who is transforming (especially if that person is a Saiyan), than for the purpose of an actual fight.
Plague of Gripes made a similar observation in his Caulifa/Kale video. There's a set of visual gags/sequences Dragon Ball is really attached to and the series goes back to them whenever it gets a chance even after they've lost their emotional weight (like Piccolo always saving Gohan in the Z-era films). Personally I was hoping Goku would go back to just existing in his Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God/Whatever state instead of having to slip into it whenever serious combat starts but it just wasn't in the cards
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

idk if this is unpopular or not, but super's writing wasn't really bad, just inconsistent, i'm really tired of seeing people wishing to get new writers for 2uper (heh, if it ever comes back), when Super's writer'ss weren't really that bad, it's like people forget, that they are still the ones behind Goku Black's charisma (non existent in the manga), Gohan's character development, every single slice-of life episodes and Hit's abilities that (actually make him a fresh character in db).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 pm

dbs fanboy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm idk if this is unpopular or not, but super's writing wasn't really bad, just inconsistent,
I don't think that's unpopular at all tbh.

I think most people just really like Super but think it's got some dumb bits.
dbs fanboy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm i'm really tired of seeing people wishing to get new writers for 2uper (heh, if it ever comes back), when Super's writer'ss weren't really that bad, it's like people forget, that they are still the ones behind Goku Black's charisma (non existent in the manga), Gohan's character development, every single slice-of life episodes and Hit's abilities that (actually make him a fresh character in db).
Personally, I think while Toei made some real missteps in Super, the real issues lie at the feet of Toriyama; the new ideas have to be from Toriyama. He's just not giving good storylines.
Whether or not they're actually doing it right, I think Toei are putting in their best effort to make something good out of what they're given, but the result just hasn't been up to much, in the estimation of many (myself included).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MechaTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by MechaTrunks » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 am

Here I have 3 very unpopular opinions that I share, I read some time ago in the internet:

Nappa was stronger than Goku when they fought.

Vegeta SSJ was as strong as A18, but he lost because of the android unlimited strength.

Goku SSJ was half as strong as when he used the KKx20 in Namek, in other words, the SSJ multiplier in the manga is 10x for Goku in Namek.

What do you think on them?
Truth be told, I agree on all 3 of them!
i'm really tired of seeing people wishing to get new writers for 2uper (heh, if it ever comes back), when Super's writer'ss weren't really that bad, it's like people forget, that they are still the ones behind Goku Black's charisma (non existent in the manga), Gohan's character development, every single slice-of life episodes and Hit's abilities that (actually make him a fresh character in db).
I don't agree with that. Firstly, Black had more charisma in the anime than in the manga? I don't know about that, but anime Black was so, so retarded that it killed the whole enjoyment I have with the series.

Having the manga to compare, which is a much better written version of that saga, I also think that Toei needs to change its writters ASAP.

Regards!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 am

dbs fanboy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm idk if this is unpopular or not, but super's writing wasn't really bad, just inconsistent, i'm really tired of seeing people wishing to get new writers for 2uper (heh, if it ever comes back), when Super's writer'ss weren't really that bad, it's like people forget, that they are still the ones behind Goku Black's charisma (non existent in the manga), Gohan's character development, every single slice-of life episodes and Hit's abilities that (actually make him a fresh character in db).
I'm with you on pretty much all of that. Add in better characterisation of Goku, his relationship with Caulifla, and the Tournament of Power's ending themes as well.

For all the flaws with pacing and production, the anime arcs of U6, Black and ToP are my favourite versions of those stories because it felt like Toei's writers were actually trying to treat the events with a bit of gravitas. Whether it came from Tori or Toyo, the idea of Hit being a weakling whose time skip technique can be overpowered with brute force is awful to me, especially after the anime did such a good job making him seem cool and competent. Similarly manga Black being a petulant jobber isn't just less impressive than his anime take, it makes him less memorable. There are dozens of Dragon Ball villains like that, but only one creepy suave bastard that was the anime version.

It's too similar to Resurrection F to my liking. I don't know why Toriyama was on a run of stories where the villains were weaker than Goku and Vegeta, but it was bad storytelling.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

dbs fanboy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm idk if this is unpopular or not, but super's writing wasn't really bad, just inconsistent, i'm really tired of seeing people wishing to get new writers for 2uper (heh, if it ever comes back), when Super's writer'ss weren't really that bad, it's like people forget, that they are still the ones behind Goku Black's charisma (non existent in the manga), Gohan's character development, every single slice-of life episodes and Hit's abilities that (actually make him a fresh character in db).
Don't forget about Zamasu's negative character arc. In the anime we actually see how in the beginning he was a good person with doubts who was misguided by a series of unfortunate circumstances, whereas in the manga he's already decided mortals must be exterminated when he first appears.

Also it's not an unpopular opinion at all. I've actually seen more people preferring the anime over the manga as far as Super is concerned.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Dragon Ball Minus is the worst additional content ever produced for the franchise.

I don't know how unpopular that opinion is, but, yeah...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm Dragon Ball Minus is the worst additional content ever produced for the franchise.

It’s not unpopular in the slightest...

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm Dragon Ball Minus is the worst additional content ever produced for the franchise.

If that is an unpopular opinion, it’s probably not by much. I suppose there are people who consider something like Episode of Bardock to be worse, but that’s just a silly little what-if story that was supposed to promote an arcade game. It was never treated as a genuine part of the series’ lore like Minus is.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Not unpopular at all, honestly. What IS unpopular is probably reasons for thinking that. Most will probably say because it invalidates the Bardock special, which it DOES do & that's a valid reason to hate it, as the Bardock special is really good & was generally seen as the canon version of that story for over 20 years before Minus came out & decanonized it for no reason. However, there's a more nuanced take which, in addition to that, it's not a good reboot of Bardock or Goku's origins, as it shortens the divide between Goku & Superman's origins (which, Goku was always a good deconstruction of Superman before Minus, tbh), as well as not being a good story, as it's not one, just plot points in a quick bonus chapter. Broly made some additions, but it's still not great.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pmBroly made some additions, but it's still not great.
What additions? We could skip Dragon Ball Minus and go straight to the present and we wouldn't miss anything that we haven't known already. Nothing really warrants Dragon Ball Minus in that movie other than "and here's the protagonist's past too" (and particularly Gine too).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~