Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BernardoCairo

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by BernardoCairo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:32 pm

Ok. Here it goes...

1 - The Majin Boo saga isn't that bad. It's almost a parody of Dragon Ball. It doesn't take itself seriously and it's intentionally comedy focused. It drags a bit, has too many things going on, but it's fun and can get emotional at times (love the Genkidama at the end of the manga, as it fits Goku's journey so well).

2 - Dragon Ball Super Broly isn't a bad movie. It tells its story through fights and there's nothing wrong about that (especially because the fights are all set up pretty well). The animation and action is fantastic and not confusing.

3 - The name "Dragon Ball Z" is iconic, but just "Dragon Ball" is better (manga style).

4 - The Cell portion of the Android saga is a bit overrated. Cell is a cool take on a corrupted "Goku-like character" and his design is great. I love the idea behind the Cell Games, as it is a nice call back to the Tenkaichi Budokais and Goku's origen as a martial artist. However, Gohan isn't that great of a protagonist and his pacifist stance comes out of nowhere. Goku vs Cell is a much more exciting fight anyway, as Goku is losing and not just showing off. Still a good saga, though.

5 - Super Saiyajin 4 is overrated. It's an ugly and confusing form that literally comes off Goku's ass.

6 - The first 16 volumes of the manga (OG DB) are the best part of the story. That's barely unpopular, though XD

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 pm

I was going to make a thread on this but I'll post it here instead.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 > Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in every aspect but the gameplay. Hell even the gameplay you can argue Tenkachi 2 did better than Tenkachi 3 in some regards. The Lock-On system in BT2 is MUCH better and fun than BT3's lock on system. The way the outfits get damaged during the battle is better in BT2 as well. Lastly the fact you can power-up your ki during a beam struggle was an underrated feature. The music in BT3 can't compare to BT2. Don't get me started on BT2 having the best story in any DBZ game(Kakarot and Budokai 1 are in the running as well). BT2 cutscenes are still fun to watch to this day. BT3 story mode is average. I do prefer how BT3 did transformations, more diversity in rush attacks, and other gameplay improvements.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is very underrated in the community in my opinion due to being overshadowed by Tenkaichi 3.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:30 am

BernardoCairo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:32 pm Ok. Here it goes...

1 - The Majin Boo saga isn't that bad. It's almost a parody of Dragon Ball. It doesn't take itself seriously and it's intentionally comedy focused. It drags a bit, has too many things going on, but it's fun and can get emotional at times (love the Genkidama at the end of the manga, as it fits Goku's journey so well).

2 - Dragon Ball Super Broly isn't a bad movie. It tells its story through fights and there's nothing wrong about that (especially because the fights are all set up pretty well). The animation and action is fantastic and not confusing.

3 - The name "Dragon Ball Z" is iconic, but just "Dragon Ball" is better (manga style).

4 - The Cell portion of the Android saga is a bit overrated. Cell is a cool take on a corrupted "Goku-like character" and his design is great. I love the idea behind the Cell Games, as it is a nice call back to the Tenkaichi Budokais and Goku's origen as a martial artist. However, Gohan isn't that great of a protagonist and his pacifist stance comes out of nowhere. Goku vs Cell is a much more exciting fight anyway, as Goku is losing and not just showing off. Still a good saga, though.

5 - Super Saiyajin 4 is overrated. It's an ugly and confusing form that literally comes off Goku's ass.

6 - The first 16 volumes of the manga (OG DB) are the best part of the story. That's barely unpopular, though XD
2. Is DBS Broly considered a bad movie by most????

6. I feel like this is one of those bell curves, like if we're considering anybody who likes "Dragon Ball" from the most casual to the most hardcore, DBZ is the most popular, but on sites like this where the majority are closer to being hardcore fans, the first 16 volumes are more popular.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:30 am

Modern_Dingus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:30 am

2. Is DBS Broly considered a bad movie by most????
Nah, its usually considered the best one.

, but on sites like this where the majority are closer to being hardcore fans, the first 16 volumes are more popular.
This site is pretty evenly split between those who prefer the Z era, those who prefer pre-Z, and those whose opinions fall somewhere around Dragon Ball found its footing around the Daimao arc and peaked on Namek. Not really preferring OG or Z but that specific "golden era"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:08 pm

Super is good, not great. It's good enough to feel like a worthwhile addition to the story regardless of what it does to "the canon". It's like a good wrestling match after the main event. Sure, you'd like to see the show end on the highest note, but if the match is good, I'm not gonna complain.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:18 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:08 pm Super is good, not great. It's good enough to feel like a worthwhile addition to the story regardless of what it does to "the canon". It's like a good wrestling match after the main event. Sure, you'd like to see the show end on the highest note, but if the match is good, I'm not gonna complain.
GT would Randy Orton vs Triple H at WM 25

Super would be ...I don't know. But I agree with you. Super is a solid 6-7/10. To me Super is like an album that isn't all that good but the individual songs are good if that makes sense. Like Super has good moments but as a whole it's hit or miss.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:08 am

Modern_Dingus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:30 am 6. I feel like this is one of those bell curves, like if we're considering anybody who likes "Dragon Ball" from the most casual to the most hardcore, DBZ is the most popular, but on sites like this where the majority are closer to being hardcore fans, the first 16 volumes are more popular.
I am actually fan of the whole Dragon Ball, as is the manga. I understand the anime division, but it irks me, that the Z content is the most popular/most adapted in games, with most of the time ignoring even the 23rd Budokai, when you basically can use the main character models from Saiyan arc. Only game that I think ever went for all was Budokai Tenkaichi series. With some small love in Budokai 3 for Kid Goku. You either get DBZ or be extremely lucky for some DB content, but never get both or all. Nowadays, Super is preferred as it is relatively fresh and basically a Z era.

If the anime didn't had different openings, it basically flows into each other seamlessly, including music wise. For some reason, there are Dragon Ball anime era themes heard in first two Z movies.

So yeah, I am fan of the whole Akira Toriyama original run and I guess there is more people.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:16 am

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:08 pm Super is good, not great. It's good enough to feel like a worthwhile addition to the story regardless of what it does to "the canon". It's like a good wrestling match after the main event. Sure, you'd like to see the show end on the highest note, but if the match is good, I'm not gonna complain.
This is hardly unpopular, the general consensus is that Super "redeemed" itself with the 3 original arcs after the retellings.

I mean, just look at all the Youtube reactions to the final episodes of the ToP.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:12 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:16 am
This is hardly unpopular, the general consensus is that Super "redeemed" itself with the 3 original arcs after the retellings.

I mean, just look at all the Youtube reactions to the final episodes of the ToP.
As a rule, I stay away from youtube review videos.

It's hard to gauge, but my feeling is that it isn't well liked within the hardcore fandom. Maybe I'm reading the reaction wrong.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:30 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:12 pm

It's hard to gauge, but my feeling is that it isn't well liked within the hardcore fandom. Maybe I'm reading the reaction wrong.
I didn't mean video reviews, I was referring to the live reactions to those episodes. Like this one (there are many other videos like this one btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilOsaqn6sw

These final episodes were live-streamed publicly and massive crowds watched them, so the hardcore fandom online are just a vocal minority.

Regardless of what you think of the quality of Super, It seems clear to me that Super will be remembered fondly by the casual fandom. If anything, it was entertaining to watch.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:49 pm

No, you're right. It is pretty clearly disliked in the hardcore fandom.

The casual fandom loves it though, whether if its new shiny toy syndrome or just not being prone to being so nitpicky idk but it's definitely the second most popular Dragon Ball series with more casual fans.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:17 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:30 pm

I didn't mean video reviews, I was referring to the live reactions to those episodes. Like this one (there are many other videos like this one btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilOsaqn6sw

These final episodes were live-streamed publicly and massive crowds watched them, so the hardcore fandom online are just a vocal minority.

Regardless of what you think of the quality of Super, It seems clear to me that Super will be remembered fondly by the casual fandom. If anything, it was entertaining to watch.
Oh shit, that's awesome. Seeing a finale with a crowd like that would be so much fun.

I'll amend my statement that my opinion on Super is unpopular within more hardcore circles.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:30 pm

I don't like how some diehard fans scoff at big crowd showings of popular TV shows (this isn't directed at anyone here, just a drunken tangent). You saw it with Game of Thrones, there were these pub screenings of the last few seasons that turned out huge crowds, yet many Freefolk types turn their noses up at them. There's this snobbery against comparing mass entertainment TV to sports, ultimately they're not that different in how we consume them. Like, I'm only invested in a few sports, but even then, it's only about as much as any other form of light bread-and-circuses entertainment. But anyway, I'd love to see the Tournament of Power played at one of these massive screenings where everyone's free to go wild. It's really cool that these screenings heavily influenced the hypeman soundtrack of Super: Broly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:02 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:30 pm I don't like how some diehard fans scoff at big crowd showings of popular TV shows (this isn't directed at anyone here, just a drunken tangent). You saw it with Game of Thrones, there were these pub screenings of the last few seasons that turned out huge crowds, yet many Freefolk types turn their noses up at them. There's this snobbery against comparing mass entertainment TV to sports, ultimately they're not that different in how we consume them. Like, I'm only invested in a few sports, but even then, it's only about as much as any other form of light bread-and-circuses entertainment. But anyway, I'd love to see the Tournament of Power played at one of these massive screenings where everyone's free to go wild. It's really cool that these screenings heavily influenced the hypeman soundtrack of Super: Broly.
The gatekeeping of art is so frustrating. The creation and consumption of art should belong to everyone regardless of anything and I think that it really sucks that some people would act like you need a pedigree to enjoy it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:32 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:30 pm I don't like how some diehard fans scoff at big crowd showings of popular TV shows (this isn't directed at anyone here, just a drunken tangent). You saw it with Game of Thrones, there were these pub screenings of the last few seasons that turned out huge crowds, yet many Freefolk types turn their noses up at them. There's this snobbery against comparing mass entertainment TV to sports, ultimately they're not that different in how we consume them. Like, I'm only invested in a few sports, but even then, it's only about as much as any other form of light bread-and-circuses entertainment. But anyway, I'd love to see the Tournament of Power played at one of these massive screenings where everyone's free to go wild. It's really cool that these screenings heavily influenced the hypeman soundtrack of Super: Broly.
I mean, if you think about it, cinema releases are just “big crowd showings” held indoors
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:38 am

I love streaming and its really convenient and easy, but I WILL NEVER stop saying Dragon Ball should be on a broadcast tv channel where people can watch it without internet or paying a paywall.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:43 am

Really sad when considering Toei themselves were against this sort of thing as well, from what I heard. Although if these articles are to go by, at least in some parts of the world, Toei eventually softened up to the idea of public screenings. Probably:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ca/.129206
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/03/massi ... -together/

Ironically enough, big blockbusters, or at least ones as massive as the MCU, have cinema reactions that reach thousands, perhaps even millions of views. Perhaps Toei realised that they could make some bank off it through good PR, hence the public approvals, and I bet that would make Sumitomo less hesitant about discussing his inspiration for the chants come the Broly movie. Or maybe they just don't want yet another bad taste on Super's mouth before the finale. After all, the BoG and RoF arcs had given it a hard time as is.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:52 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:02 pm
The gatekeeping of art is so frustrating. The creation and consumption of art should belong to everyone regardless of anything and I think that it really sucks that some people would act like you need a pedigree to enjoy it.
Totally agree. :thumbup: We don’t have long on this planet, can’t spend it getting mad at other people having fun.
I mean, if you think about it, cinema releases are just “big crowd showings” held indoors
Smh at people watching Citizen Kane in cinemas like consumerist savages rather than on a Game Boy Color.

I love streaming and its really convenient and easy, but I WILL NEVER stop saying Dragon Ball should be on a broadcast tv channel where people can watch it without internet or paying a paywall.
Definitely, Dragon Ball belongs on people’s TV screens wherever possible.
Really sad when considering Toei themselves were against this sort of thing as well, from what I heard. Although if these articles are to go by, at least in some parts of the world, Toei eventually softened up to the idea of public screenings. Probably:

Ironically enough, big blockbusters, or at least ones as massive as the MCU, have cinema reactions that reach thousands, perhaps even millions of views. Perhaps Toei realised that they could make some bank off it through good PR, hence the public approvals, and I bet that would make Sumitomo less hesitant about discussing his inspiration for the chants come the Broly movie. Or maybe they just don't want yet another bad taste on Super's mouth before the finale. After all, the BoG and RoF arcs had given it a hard time as is.
Yeah, it was definitely strange for them to acknowledge the screenings, maybe they did see a PR opportunity there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:25 am

Wrigglything wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:43 am

Marvel's official twitter page posted the crowd reactions to a few big scenes in Avengers Endgame on its anniversary. It's free publicity. I get not wanting people to record the film, but you can't beat publicity like that. Movies are meant to be experienced together and if a TV show can do the same, I'm all for it. It's the storyteller and the audience connecting together, yes even over something as seemingly trivial as Dragon Ball or superheroes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:24 pm

I've got some really unpopular opinions lol

I'm not sure if I shared before (I definitely did somewhere, just not sure if it was in this thread), but here are some of mine:

1. BRING ON THE INACCURATE ADAPTATIONS
I don't mind at all. Make them weird! Make bad choices! Name changes? Sure! Replacement score? Yes, please! I'm not saying that I'd like just anything, but the more, the merrier. It's just another reason to get excited to watch the same thing for the 300th time. One of the most joyful things that happened to me regarding this series, is finally getting to watch the Blue Water and Westwood dub of the series. It just reinvigorated my curiosity and desire to watch the series again. Just don't screw with the original Japanese version and I'm good. Other than that, it's like having different versions of the same material.

I know that this could create confusion and more causal fans might not get the "true" story, but I think it's like any of us--those who are interested enough will find out.

2. I LIKE GOKU AS A CLICHÉ SUPERHERO
When I was a kid, I was really turned off by the squeaky clean image that Funimation presented Goku as. I gravitated toward Vegeta the same way that I gravitated toward Batman over Superman. But, somewhere along the way, I grew out of that and started to really enjoy the idea of just a hero who chooses what's right over anything else.

I'm not saying that Goku should be all "ally to good, nightmare to [evil]!" but I don't think he should be all "ba-ha-ha-ha-ha; I guess I accidentally saved the universe because I really wanted to fight that guy; ba-ha-ha-ha-ha!" either. Somewhere in the middle is nice. Gohan is nice.

3. I DON'T GET THE FATHER-SON RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GOHAN AND PICCOLO
Whenever I see someone posting this, it just seems like such a cookie-cutter, shallow analysis. Why? Why is Piccolo a "better father" to Gohan than Goku? In fact, how is Piccolo's relationship to Gohan "fatherly" at all?

Goku was with Gohan for the first five years of his life. Then, stuff happened, Goku died, and Piccolo kidnapped Gohan to train him because Piccolo saw that Gohan could be of use against the Saiyans. Yes, they got close. Yes, Piccolo felt something for Gohan... in the (almost) year that he knew him. Yes, Piccolo sacrificed himself for Gohan. Yes, Gohan wanted to bring Piccolo back. And... that's pretty much it, right?

So this "father-son" relationship lasted a year? Because since Piccolo was wished back on Namek, we don't really get anything else between Gohan and Piccolo. Yeah, Piccolo trained with Goku and Gohan for the androids. Yeah, Gohan wanted to wear Piccolo's gi. Sure. But how is that a "father-son" relationship? That's more of a friend or master. Then, Piccolo lives with Dende and Popo.

We never really get anything else heartwarming between Piccolo and Gohan until Resurrection F/Super, with Piccolo babysitting Pan (after years of fans hyping up this "relationship" between Gohan and Piccolo).

On the other hand, Goku has a ton of heartwarming moments with Gohan. Their training for Cell, Goku's belief in Gohan to beat Cell, Goku's sacrifice and goodbye to Gohan. Goku's return from Other World. Goku interacting with Gohan on Old Kaioshin's planet.

Piccolo's only interactions with Gohan after Namek are kind of "Oh, hey!" and telling at Goku when Goku believed that Gohan could beat Cell.

4. GOTEN AND TRUNKS ARE POINTLESS AND KINDA SUCK
Future Trunks was awesome! Very, very cool character. And clearly, to have a future Trunks, there must be a present Trunks. And I think Goten was just kind of shoved into the story to have someone for Trunks to bounce dialog off of. There was clearly no real plan or interest in making them compelling characters.

5. FUSION SUCKS
The biggest cop-out in the series and creates a lot more questions than necessary. Never liked fusion--they weren't real characters.

6. I THINK THAT THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING FINAL BOUT VOICE ACTORS WOULD BE GREAT (FOR THE MOST PART)
I'm a very nostalgic guy. But, I realize this and can pass judgment on something that's bad. It's just that I do kind of constantly think of things that bring me back to my childhood... like the terrible Final Bout video game that I had so much fun with because I didn't know any better.

Yes, this is something I still think about. And I like going back and listening to the terrible performances of the English-translated version. But was it that bad? I often thought that the voice acting was terrible, but now, I think that this actors could definitely do a great job with a proper dub. I find myself wondering how they'd sound like when they had some real dialog with good directing behind it, not just one-off lines for a video game.

I thought Steve Blum is amazing, but he's no Goku... but why not? I found myself thinking that there's nothing that someone like Sean Schemmel brings to the performance that Blum couldn't do. Yeah, he sounds awkward as Goku in Final Bout, but I know his chops, I know his range. He's be great! And honestly, the rest of the cast was pretty great! I really liked Trunks's and Gohan's voices. The others are generally good based on their other works. Kind of felt like Daniel Woren would make a better Vegeta than Piccolo, Tom Wyner's Cell was bad (though he could be good in other roles), and I wasn't feeling Milton James's Vegeta, but again, how would they fare if they were given a real shot?

This is the nutty crap I think about: how 1997 one-off-cast voice actors for a terrible video game would do with a real shot at dubbing the series.