Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 am

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:09 am
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 am Kefla is basically just Caulifla in terms of personality.

Yep, but that's still more interesting than the "Protagonist fusions".

Maybe to you, it your personal opinion, not a fact.

I personally don't see Kefla in any way more "interesting" than the protagonists fusions.
I didn't like them separately either. One just kept whining and the other one kept trash talking the guy who is helping her transform.

"Vegito, Gogeta, Gotenks, are extremely boring and forgettable, in terms of personality at least. They're so generic and boring, they kind of don't have anything unique going on for them aside from a big power level (not even that in Gotenks' case)."

I mean again, that is your personal opinion. You find Kefla interesting because you are looking for it. This could be done to any other character.
Yeah, forgive me for not putting at the start of every paragraph "IN MY HUMBLE PERSONAL OPINION", it must have slipped my mind :roll:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:32 am

The Sapphic subtext really helped sell Kefla, too. It's not something a you'd get if you weren't a WLW or a fan of WLW stories or raised on thing like, well, subtext.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm

I personally don’t really see Kefla as anything more than an obstacle for Universe 7. She doesn’t come across as much of a character to me. She’s not a fusion from Steven Universe. She just feels like all the other Dragon Ball fusions, in my opinion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm I personally don’t really see Kefla as anything more than an obstacle for Universe 7. She doesn’t come across as much of a character to me. She’s not a fusion from Steven Universe. She just feels like all the other Dragon Ball fusions, in my opinion.
Kefla isn't a separate person. She's just two Sapphic lovers fighting in one body. Her existence is a culmination of Kale's arc and the climax of Caulifla's arc.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:22 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm I personally don’t really see Kefla as anything more than an obstacle for Universe 7. She doesn’t come across as much of a character to me. She’s not a fusion from Steven Universe. She just feels like all the other Dragon Ball fusions, in my opinion.
Kefla isn't a separate person. She's just two Sapphic lovers fighting in one body. Her existence is a culmination of Kale's arc and the climax of Caulifla's arc.
If that was the intention, then the fact that she casually gets defeated and then forgotten about kind of undermines it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:22 pm
If that was the intention, then the fact that she casually gets defeated and then forgotten about kind of undermines it.
They very dramatically loses to the main character after a multi-episode battle with various good animators assigned to the fight after several episodes of their arcs being established. All in a series directed by one of PreCure's most beloved directors. They got a ton of love despite the cartoon's production being in shambles.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 pm

Super Saiyan 3 is more interesting to me than Super Saiyan 2, and (based purely on usage) even more mysterious than the original Super Saiyan. Its clear visual distinctions (long hair, no eyebrows) do more to set it apart (I like the wilder look in general), whereas Super Saiyan 2 (while cool and significant to its debut in the story) is just spikier, maybe slightly longer hair than Super Saiyan with lightning. It also helps that the only characters to attain the form are Goku (in the Otherworld) and a Fusion (Gotenks). For years, I wanted Vegeta to unlock the form, but now I'm glad he didn't (outside of Heroes, that is) because it keeps it more unique. And Super Saiyan lost its uniqueness once the other characters unlocked it and started upgrading it. That's not even necessarily a negative, just an observation.

I'm not implying that Super Saiyan 3 is better-written or better-integrated in the story than the previous forms. I'm just saying retroactively (especially with all the Super forms), I can appreciate how the form was utilized. At the time of Z, Super Saiyan 3 was meant to be the ultimate Super Saiyan form, and it was to show the fruits of Goku's training in the Otherworld and to be a testament to his hard work as opposed to his son's innate potential. I doubt anyone actively decided not to give it to more characters, it was just likely brushed aside once other new forms were invented. With Super Saiyan 4, and then the God forms, etc. in Super, there wasn't much reason to give it to anyone else (plus Gohan had his Mystic power-up).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm

General Rildo is lame and people only remember him because Goku compare him to Buu. He is pretty much Dabra 2.0 with both characters being a powerful body guard that can turn people into solid metal/stone and had their powers compare to the previous villain (Cell & Dabra and Rildo & Buu). His metal powers that can control the planet and his second form are the only cool things that I can think of about him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm General Rildo is lame and people only remember him because Goku compare him to Buu. He is pretty much Dabra 2.0 with both characters being a powerful body guard that can turn people into solid metal/stone and had their powers compare to the previous villain (Cell & Dabra and Rildo & Buu). His metal powers that can control the planet and his second form are the only cool things that I can think of about him.
Is Rild really all the rage among GT fans? I haven't heard anyone give such high praises to Rild.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:14 pm

I hardly ever see people talk about Rildo. If he was really that popular, I’d have to assume that he would’ve been a playable character in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:02 pm

I'm sure they exist, but I've never heard anyone proclaim Rildo was one of their favorite characters. Usually I just see people mentioning him being stronger than Boo, not that he's a favorite villain of theirs. I'm a fan of GT and I like his abilities, but nothing else about him stands out to me.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:14 pm I hardly ever see people talk about Rildo. If he was really that popular, I’d have to assume that he would’ve been a playable character in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
That game has Frieza Soldier and I've never met anyone who even likes him.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm

I like Rilld well enough, including his abilities and the whole Machine Mutant concept. But the idea of him being "far stronger than Majin Boo" is just complete bullshit.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 am

Yeah, IDK what TOEI was thinking when they made Rild “stronger than Buu”. How did he not encounter Buu and kill him, then?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:51 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 am Yeah, IDK what TOEI was thinking when they made Rild “stronger than Buu”. How did he not encounter Buu and kill him, then?
We wasn't strong enough to do so or simply did not exist when Majin Buu was a threat.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:10 pm General Rildo is lame and people only remember him because Goku compare him to Buu. He is pretty much Dabra 2.0 with both characters being a powerful body guard that can turn people into solid metal/stone and had their powers compare to the previous villain (Cell & Dabra and Rildo & Buu). His metal powers that can control the planet and his second form are the only cool things that I can think of about him.
He added some tension to series that Dabura never managed to honestly, as from the very start it was clear Dabura was just bodyguard and Majin Buu is going to be real threat. When Rildo appeared, he seemed to be the main threat of arc with us seeing only glimpses of him or him sending his main forces to fight Goku and not engage in battle until he was forced to, so that made him more memorable than Dabura to me as fight with him was a climax point of arc and granted some satisfaction. He clearly wasn't the best villain, but for a side villain i'd say he was pretty good actually.
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 am Yeah, IDK what TOEI was thinking when they made Rild “stronger than Buu”. How did he not encounter Buu and kill him, then?
For the same reason he never encountered Cell. Why would he? Almost entire Buu saga took place on Earth.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 am
For the same reason he never encountered Cell. Why would he? Almost entire Buu saga took place on Earth.
Yeah, you might as well ask why Frieza didn't step in to stop King Piccolo. He wasn't even a blip on his radar, same with Boo to Rildo.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 pm

In PurestEvil’s defense, I think he’s referring to Boo causing destruction across the universe pre being sealed away.

All the same the universe is massive so it’s still believable that Boo and Rild never crossed paths

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 pm In PurestEvil’s defense, I think he’s referring to Boo causing destruction across the universe pre being sealed away.

All the same the universe is massive so it’s still believable that Boo and Rild never crossed paths
Rildo isn't as old as Buu though. Machine mutants weren't a thing before Baby was created by Tuffles and we do not know when exactly Rildo was created (or rather turned into machine mutant).
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Majin Boo is an ancient evil spirit created by black magic that destroyed most of the universe and even crossed over into the Next World. It's just in no way believable that there would be someone stronger than him just chilling in outer space.