Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:24 pm

Mood whiplash isn't really a thing in DB, or at least not a negative one. It's always mixed tones, even in the most dire of moments and for anyone thinking Goku and Vegeta always take fights for the fate of the world seriously, I implore you to remember that Goku cared more about winning the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai than he did the fate of the world.

I don't think mood whiplash is a bad thing. In fact, it's often the mix of comedy and drama that allows more earnest moments to land. Humor is a wonderful thing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:24 pm Mood whiplash isn't really a thing in DB, or at least not a negative one. It's always mixed tones, even in the most dire of moments and for anyone thinking Goku and Vegeta always take fights for the fate of the world seriously, I implore you to remember that Goku cared more about winning the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai than he did the fate of the world.

I don't think mood whiplash is a bad thing. In fact, it's often the mix of comedy and drama that allows more earnest moments to land. Humor is a wonderful thing.
Goku deciding to eat the dragon ball and almost dying over it in the middle of the Omega Shenron battle is easily one of my favorite things. The seemingly impossible combination of tones this franchise pulls off is one thing that makes it stick, IMO. Can’t have the edgy action alone, and can’t have silly goof off alone, in Dragon Ball. They both work together.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:24 pm Mood whiplash isn't really a thing in DB, or at least not a negative one. It's always mixed tones, even in the most dire of moments and for anyone thinking Goku and Vegeta always take fights for the fate of the world seriously, I implore you to remember that Goku cared more about winning the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai than he did the fate of the world.

I dunno, I think there’s a bit of an art to being able to do both serious drama and wacky comedy and have it believably coming from the same series. Dragon Ball is usually really good at this. The Ginyu Force can be dorks who pose like Super Sentai rejects and play Rock Paper Sodas and bet buying lunch but they still believably fit in the narrative where we can buy their Freeza’s elite mercenaries . Watching them act like buffoons doesn’t undermine they work for an intergalactic warlord that’s slaughtering innocent Namekians on his quest for eternal life.

But then you have stuff in the Zamasu arc like “lol they forgot to put the talisman on the seal for the mafuba” “Lol Zamasu is crying at the beauty of the cosmos and Vegetto is dumbfounded right in the middle of battle” it just feels forced like the writers were handed notes to make things funny.

Like back when Funimation added a bunch of dumb jokes that had no business being there in season 3.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm But then you have stuff in the Zamasu arc like “lol they forgot to put the talisman on the seal for the mafuba” “Lol Zamasu is crying at the beauty of the cosmos and Vegetto is dumbfounded right in the middle of battle” it just feels forced like the writers were handed notes to make things funny.
90% sure it was confirmed that Toriyama explicitly handed the writers notes informing them to make it funny.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm

I dunno, I think there’s a bit of an art to being able to do both serious drama and wacky comedy and have it believably coming from the same series. Dragon Ball is usually really good at this. The Ginyu Force can be dorks who pose like Super Sentai rejects and play Rock Paper Sodas and bet buying lunch but they still believably fit in the narrative where we can buy their Freeza’s elite mercenaries . Watching them act like buffoons doesn’t undermine they work for an intergalactic warlord that’s slaughtering innocent Namekians on his quest for eternal life.

But then you have stuff in the Zamasu arc like “lol they forgot to put the talisman on the seal for the mafuba” “Lol Zamasu is crying at the beauty of the cosmos and Vegetto is dumbfounded right in the middle of battle” it just feels forced like the writers were handed notes to make things funny.

Like back when Funimation added a bunch of dumb jokes that had no business being there in season 3.
Forgetting the talisman doesn't work because it doesn't feel like it is in their character to do that. I'm not sure about the second one. Is Vegetto dumbfounded because Zamasu is crying?

Season 3 was just not funny and not within character. Coming out of character is a key.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:07 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm

Forgetting the talisman doesn't work because it doesn't feel like it is in their character to do that. I'm not sure about the second one. Is Vegetto dumbfounded because Zamasu is crying?

Season 3 was just not funny and not within character. Coming out of character is a key.
https://youtu.be/UGGKmO_YxGM

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:21 pm

I dug that and that feels very on brand for both of those characters.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 am

The writers couldn’t seem to decide if Zamasu was a complex and tragic individual with a strong conviction for what he considers “justice,” or if he was just some narcissistic idiot with a god complex. Gowasu’s dialogue suggests the former, but the way characters like Vegetto react to Zamasu suggests the latter.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:08 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 am The writers couldn’t seem to decide if Zamasu was a complex and tragic individual with a strong conviction for what he considers “justice,” or if he was just some narcissistic idiot with a god complex. Gowasu’s dialogue suggests the former, but the way characters like Vegetto react to Zamasu suggests the latter.
I think it was both. It was a gradual shift. First, Zamasu has doubts about the effectiveness of his methods, and his hate for mortals grows as he begins to see them as an infection. He has to do terrible things to accomplish his goals, which leads to some serious cognitive dissonance. The only way he can justify his actions is to elevate himself to the position of a god of justice, above all other gods he deems unworthy.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:09 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 am The writers couldn’t seem to decide if Zamasu was a complex and tragic individual with a strong conviction for what he considers “justice,” or if he was just some narcissistic idiot with a god complex. Gowasu’s dialogue suggests the former, but the way characters like Vegetto react to Zamasu suggests the latter.
Zamasu's easily both at the same time. He's a raging narcissist with a god complex. There's tragedy in his conviction, just like narcs in real life. They can easily go hand in hand.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 am

I mean, he's both :think: And I fully admit and recognize that Zamasu indeed had a strong "God complex" (he wanted to be Zeno) and he was indeed very narcissistic, but at the same time he was indeed a complex and tragic individual. As Toriyama put it, he was fundamentally too good, his excessive good and strong desire for justice ended up backfiring on him. And that's why the anime even includes a scene between Zamasu and Gowasu where Gowasu warns him that he must keep his strong desire for justice under control, otherwise it can run rampart and ruin the balance between good and evil.

Vegito and the others don't care about Zamasu's ideology but that's to be expected, it's not that Zamasu's ideology isn't valid, it's that those characters have no connection to Zamasu. Like Vegito has literally never met Zamasu before, of course he's not going to care about his rhetoric. Meanwhile Gowasu was the only person Zamasu had a connection to, so naturally Gowasu had a lot of philosophical debates about the life of ningens and role of the Gods with Zamasu.

Goku and Vegeta are too dumb for these philosophical debates anyway :shrug: They should just stick to who can fire the biggest explosion, these topics are beyond saiyans.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 am
I mean, he's both :think: And I fully admit and recognize that Zamasu indeed had a strong "God complex" (he wanted to be Zeno) and he was indeed very narcissistic, but at the same time he was indeed a complex and tragic individual. As Toriyama put it, he was fundamentally too good, his excessive good and strong desire for justice ended up backfiring on him. And that's why the anime even includes a scene between Zamasu and Gowasu where Gowasu warns him that he must keep his strong desire for justice under control, otherwise it can run rampart and ruin the balance between good and evil.

Vegito and the others don't care about Zamasu's ideology but that's to be expected, it's not that Zamasu's ideology isn't valid, it's that those characters have no connection to Zamasu. Like Vegito has literally never met Zamasu before, of course he's not going to care about his rhetoric. Meanwhile Gowasu was the only person Zamasu had a connection to, so naturally Gowasu had a lot of philosophical debates about the life of ningens and role of the Gods with Zamasu.

Goku and Vegeta are too dumb for these philosophical debates anyway :shrug: They should just stick to who can fire the biggest explosion, these topics are beyond saiyans.
You're saying that Zamasu's ideology that there should be no mortal life is Valid. I mean in the anime he goes down this path because he sees someone strong, and then see's a primitive race in its formation years - yes they travel forward with the time ring but it's still basically neanderthal man. If they wanted it more valid, should've shown examples of his disdain with civilised mankinds horrors.

The bulk of dragonball goes against his zero mortals/mortals are a stain on everything. When push comes to shove we see unlikely heroes step up and not just with the common reforms we always mention (Piccolo Vegeta etc) ones who Zamasu would've regarded to be selfish and self serving like, oolong stopping pilaf, Mr Satan with 16's head and Buu. Zamasu took issue with Goku being stronger than Shin. But imagine his reaction to see Mr Satan played a role in stopping Buu (something gods were helpless to do).

I always found Zamasu's character to be more massive inferiority complex rather than god complex. Strong mortals exist I hate that. I'll wish myself into one of their bodies, I'll use dragonballs which Kais like elder Kai fundamentally disapprove of.

Think any morality arguments he tried to force are just delusions of a mentally unwell man. He is someone who would get sectioned in the real world.

Also to say Goku and Vegeta ar= too dumb for any philosophical debate is generalising. Maybe they couldn't express it clearly but they have periods of following similar philosophy to Gowasu to a degree for chunks of the Buu arc. Goku when he was dead wanting mortals be the makers of their own destiny in that he wanted Goten/Trunks to be the heroes and then Gohan. Vegeta also then embodies this philosophy with his idea for the spirit bomb having earthlings be the ones to save their earth. So I don't think they're as dumb as you perceive them to be.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 am

I guess we can just ignore that whole bit where he was disgusted with a mere mortal interacting with him.

He’s not complex. He’s anime Claude Frollo (the Disney version)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am You're saying that Zamasu's ideology that there should be no mortal life is Valid.
No, I mean Zamasu's ideology that the Gods are too passive, the God system is flawed, not enough is done to keep the ningens in check, etc.

He obviously took it too far when he decided to commit multiversal omnicide, but I never denied that, however I'd be disingenuous if I acted like some of Zamasu's doubts weren't more than valid. Especially in the context of Dragon Ball where the Gods are consistently portrayed as incompetent and useless, of course a young God with a strong sense of justice is going to have problems with that. And like Toriyama said his sense of justice indeed went to his head eventually.
and then see's a primitive race in its formation years - yes they travel forward with the time ring but it's still basically neanderthal man. If they wanted it more valid, should've shown examples of his disdain with civilised mankinds horrors.
This is precisely what I was talking about in the other thread, people for some reason think that Zamasu only watched Planet Babari when both anime and manga make it clear he watched countless examples like that of Planet Babari. He already gave the ningens more than enough opportunities to prove him wrong, he also gave Gowasu the opportunity to prove him wrong and Gowasu squandered it by showing him a savage and primitive society.
Zamasu took issue with Goku being stronger than Shin. But imagine his reaction to see Mr Satan played a role in stopping Buu (something gods were helpless to do).
He'd probably wonder what the hell Beerus (Destroyer God charged with eliminating dangerous threats like Buu) was doing.
Think any morality arguments he tried to force are just delusions of a mentally unwell man. He is someone who would get sectioned in the real world.
He's speaking facts when he criticizes the God hierarchy :think: The Supreme Kais have the power to stop evil (they are actually very strong, Shin was noted to be stronger than Frieza who was feared as the mightiest warrior in the universe) and yet their laws force them to inaction. That's a very good point. He also brought up a correct point about the misuse of time travel.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am I guess we can just ignore that whole bit where he was disgusted with a mere mortal interacting with him.

If a 10 yo old kid started touching the principal of the school, would the principal not get disgusted?

Zamasu was Goku's superior as a God, Goku was meant to address him properly and act in a formal way (this is something that even Beerus and Whis advised), so Goku was indeed in the wrong when he started touching and harassing Zamasu, like when he kept asking him to fight when Zamasu made it clear he wasn't interested. Because Goku was indeed acting dumb in an obnoxious way in that episode, as I was saying earlier.

The funny thing is that this is even acknowledged in-universe, Bulma later on tells Goku "so this is all your fault?! You just had to pick a fight with this guy!!", referring to the fact that Goku picking a fight with Zamasu is the catalyst for the whole arc.

Your point about Zamasu being a bit disgusted by the ningens is kind of silly, since we see that a lot of Gods are disgusted or anyway look down on ningens. Kibito for example had this snob attitude towards them, to the point that (in the manga) they thought that he was Goku Black. It's not an attitude or problem associated only with Zamasu.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 am

A good School Principal is welcoming to all his/her students and isn't gonna disdainfully question why a kid is in their office because its most likely important.

The Warden of Jail or a King/Queen on the other hand is a bit more inline with how Zamasu acts.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 am

I think Dragon Ball Super is trash.

It has a few good episodes such as 17 vs. Toppo, Roshi's spotlight in the Tournament of Power and Goku visiting Frieza in Hell. But overall, it comes across as a rushed Saturday morning cartoon. It flanderizes the Dragon Ball cast and has horrible horrible animation. The three movies are great, but I have no urge to ever rewatch the show. I recommend just avoiding it entirely in favor of the movies.

Even GT is far superior to it. At least I can say the Baby saga is full of charm and good ideas.
Last edited by Peach on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am
Krillin1994 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am You're saying that Zamasu's ideology that there should be no mortal life is Valid.
No, I mean Zamasu's ideology that the Gods are too passive, the God system is flawed, not enough is done to keep the ningens in check, etc.

He obviously took it too far when he decided to commit multiversal omnicide, but I never denied that, however I'd be disingenuous if I acted like some of Zamasu's doubts weren't more than valid. Especially in the context of Dragon Ball where the Gods are consistently portrayed as incompetent and useless, of course a young God with a strong sense of justice is going to have problems with that. And like Toriyama said his sense of justice indeed went to his head eventually.
and then see's a primitive race in its formation years - yes they travel forward with the time ring but it's still basically neanderthal man. If they wanted it more valid, should've shown examples of his disdain with civilised mankinds horrors.
This is precisely what I was talking about in the other thread, people for some reason think that Zamasu only watched Planet Babari when both anime and manga make it clear he watched countless examples like that of Planet Babari. He already gave the ningens more than enough opportunities to prove him wrong, he also gave Gowasu the opportunity to prove him wrong and Gowasu squandered it by showing him a savage and primitive society.
Zamasu took issue with Goku being stronger than Shin. But imagine his reaction to see Mr Satan played a role in stopping Buu (something gods were helpless to do).
He'd probably wonder what the hell Beerus (Destroyer God charged with eliminating dangerous threats like Buu) was doing.
He's speaking facts when he criticizes the God hierarchy :think: The Supreme Kais have the power to stop evil (they are actually very strong, Shin was noted to be stronger than Frieza who was feared as the mightiest warrior in the universe) and yet their laws force them to inaction. That's a very good point. He also brought up a correct point about the misuse of time travel.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am I guess we can just ignore that whole bit where he was disgusted with a mere mortal interacting with him.

If a 10 yo old kid started touching the principal of the school, would the principal not get disgusted?

Zamasu was Goku's superior as a God, Goku was meant to address him properly and act in a formal way (this is something that even Beerus and Whis advised), so Goku was indeed in the wrong when he started touching and harassing Zamasu, like when he kept asking him to fight when Zamasu made it clear he wasn't interested. Because Goku was indeed acting dumb in an obnoxious way in that episode, as I was saying earlier.

The funny thing is that this is even acknowledged in-universe, Bulma later on tells Goku "so this is all your fault?! You just had to pick a fight with this guy!!", referring to the fact that Goku picking a fight with Zamasu is the catalyst for the whole arc.

Your point about Zamasu being a bit disgusted by the ningens is kind of silly, since we see that a lot of Gods are disgusted or anyway look down on ningens. Kibito for example had this snob attitude towards them, to the point that (in the manga) they thought that he was Goku Black. It's not an attitude or problem associated only with Zamasu.

I guess hierarchy of gods does showcase a lot of incompetent ones. But the passiveness of those gods hasn’t led to a total genocide like a proactive god.

I would also say that the likes of Shin not intervening in Frieza as an example led to Goku becoming SS and reaching levels of strength that ended up saving the universe from Buu which Shin wouldn’t have been able to do. So maybe that’s the whole unknown of standing back and taking a passive role.

I think there’s a saying in media of show don’t tell, we don’t need Zamasu constantly saying how awful mortal kind is when we don’t see a good example of such.

Gowasu wasn’t given enough time to show him being right, Zamasu was just too impatient and impulsive.

The principle and child example seems ridiculous. Any worthwhile teacher wouldn’t be disgusted by one of the kids in their school.

Also Goku did act a bit over the top in that scene. But he only went there and expressed his curiosity since the Ki was similar to the person who just appeared in the past. Pushing him to spar whilst not respectful would be the best way to gauge his ki.

Also with the whole paradox Goku wouldn’t have gone fought him if Black hadn’t come back to fight Goku in the first place.

Could also say universe levels seem to be higher where we have mutual respect from the gods and their mortals, which the TOP seems to show. I.e we don’t know how proactive Belmoud is but we have him train Toppo and let the mortal pride troopers help out that universe from threats.

And even then GoDs who were disdainful of mortals were shown to change their opinions as it went on - respect Beerus showcased for Roshi as an example there.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am I would also say that the likes of Shin not intervening in Frieza as an example led to Goku becoming SS and reaching levels of strength that ended up saving the universe from Buu which Shin wouldn’t have been able to do. So maybe that’s the whole unknown of standing back and taking a passive role.
If the Gods were active and did their job then Buu wouldn't have been awakened in the first place, hell if Goku and Vegeta never fought in Super Saiyan mode then Babidi would have never gotten enough energy to awaken Buu.
I think there’s a saying in media of show don’t tell, we don’t need Zamasu constantly saying how awful mortal kind is when we don’t see a good example of such.
Dragon Ball constantly shows just how selfish and petty the mortals can be, even in the previous arc it was said that the U6 Earth was turned into a toxic wasteland after the earthlings of that universe fought each others in petty wars and destroyed everything.
Gowasu wasn’t given enough time to show him being right, Zamasu was just too impatient and impulsive.
No he just chose the wrong example, that's why Gowasu takes responsibility for what happened in the end.
The principle and child example seems ridiculous. Any worthwhile teacher wouldn’t be disgusted by one of the kids in their school.
You're definitely getting punished or even suspended if you start touching your principal's arms and saying stuff like "wow you aren't so weak as I thought after all!", and that's what Goku did with Zamasu after all.

Plus I don't even remember Zamasu acting that disgusted when he met Goku. Annoyed and shocked for the aforementioned reasons, but not downright disgusted, and again that's pretty normal behaviour for the Kais. Kibito was also shocked when the mortals were allowed in the Sacred World of Kais.
Could also say universe levels seem to be higher where we have mutual respect from the gods and their mortals, which the TOP seems to show. I.e we don’t know how proactive Belmoud is but we have him train Toppo and let the mortal pride troopers help out that universe from threats.

And even then GoDs who were disdainful of mortals were shown to change their opinions as it went on - respect Beerus showcased for Roshi as an example there.
If we want to get technical Zamasu eventually showed respect towards the mortals too, he treated Goku with respect when he fought him as Black and even said he was honoured, he acknowledged and praised Vegeta's strength and said that the Saiyans deserved their fame as a warrior species, and in the Heroes series Zamasu was able to put aside his grudges and join forces with the mortal group led by Hearts. It is true that the Gods are able to show some degree of respect to the mortals and Zamasu was no exception.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 am I think Dragon Ball Super is trash.

It has a few good episodes such as 17 vs. Toppo, Roshi's spotlight in the Tournament of Power and Goku visiting Frieza in Hell. But overall, it comes across as a rushed Saturday morning cartoon. It flanderizes the Dragon Ball cast and has horrible horrible animation. The three movies are great, but I have no urge to ever rewatch the show. I recommend just avoiding it entirely in favor of the movies.

Even GT is far superior to it. At least I can say the Baby saga is full of charm and good ideas.
Is that really an unpopular opinion? I mean, the fandom is notoriously divided on DBS's quality.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 am
Krillin1994 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am I would also say that the likes of Shin not intervening in Frieza as an example led to Goku becoming SS and reaching levels of strength that ended up saving the universe from Buu which Shin wouldn’t have been able to do. So maybe that’s the whole unknown of standing back and taking a passive role.
If the Gods were active and did their job then Buu wouldn't have been awakened in the first place, hell if Goku and Vegeta never fought in Super Saiyan mode then Babidi would have never gotten enough energy to awaken Buu.
What is their job? It's incredibly vague. They seem to take a very hands off approach by their nature.