Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Has anyone honestly made the argument that the dub of Super is worse than the dub of Z? I’ve heard plenty of criticism directed towards the dub of Super, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone make the argument that it’s on the level of the Z dub, let alone worse.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:45 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am I don't get why people have that mindset, but my best guess is some like the one person who you mention there are so blinded by their own nostalgia for the DBZ dub from watching it on Toonami growing up. As in they just can't bring themselves to accept the fact that it's a terrible, obsolete relic of a dub from FUNi's early years and they aren't that type of company anymore.
No, I'm talking about the people who vehemently HATE the Z dub & legitimately think that ANY little deviation automatically signals that the dub's gonna go off the rails & suddenly regress back rather than continue the trajectory they've been on.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am Many of the things they did back in the day (music replacement, wholesale script rewriting) which were per the norm back in the late '90s/early 2000's have gradually stopped being used by dub companies barring a few cases here and there. True, there have been some examples of things in Kai and Super in terms of scripts that may have been less than perfect. But again, it's not to the level of how the original in house Z dub was where they were inserting stupid dialogue and horribly outdated jokes all over the place that was somewhat relevant at the time in 1999 but not twenty years later. It can't be overstated enough now different FUNimation is these days when compared to back then. The non recast actors have really grown into their roles and the people in charge of the dubs these days actually have a clue when it comes to staying faithful to the source compared to when Barry Watson and co were running things, and it honestly baffles me when there are those who complain about the newer productions and every time i see someone do that i'm like "You're kidding me, you seriously say that the Super dub is worse than Z's." when in fact it's the other way around.
Same. They don't do stupid things like those anymore & they've changed, largely for the better. They have competent people, they have passionate people who care about what they're doing, & they want to produce good dubs going forward that they don't regret in 5 years when they realize it's legit dumpster fire trash. The cast is great & people need to stop being hyperbolic & spreading false narratives. It's not healthy.
omegacwa wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 pm My only complaint with the super dub from what I've seen, which is only comparisons to key scenes, is the English cast sounds "bored", for a lack of a better term. The Japanese cast sounds so emotional and excited.
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm Has anyone honestly made the argument that the dub of Super is worse than the dub of Z? I’ve heard plenty of criticism directed towards the dub of Super, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone make the argument that it’s on the level of the Z dub, let alone worse.
Yes, yes there ARE. In the dub thread, there are legitimate people who've watched the Super dub & hyperbolically claimed it's as bad as Z's.
And, I wasn't gonna bring this tweet here, but this is what I directly quoted from Twitter earlier.
https://twitter.com/LuminousEpoque/stat ... 3663623168
This person legit says that the Super dub is just as bad as Z's rather than just some of the performances not being great at times (which, I never thought they sounded bored, but that's just me). It also got a retweet, which means SOMEONE else saw it & agreed so much that they retweeted it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am I don't get why people have that mindset, but my best guess is some like the one person who you mention there are so blinded by their own nostalgia for the DBZ dub from watching it on Toonami growing up. As in they just can't bring themselves to accept the fact that it's a terrible, obsolete relic of a dub from FUNi's early years and they aren't that type of company anymore.
No, I'm talking about the people who vehemently HATE the Z dub & legitimately think that ANY little deviation automatically signals that the dub's gonna go off the rails & suddenly regress back rather than continue the trajectory they've been on.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am Many of the things they did back in the day (music replacement, wholesale script rewriting) which were per the norm back in the late '90s/early 2000's have gradually stopped being used by dub companies barring a few cases here and there. True, there have been some examples of things in Kai and Super in terms of scripts that may have been less than perfect. But again, it's not to the level of how the original in house Z dub was where they were inserting stupid dialogue and horribly outdated jokes all over the place that was somewhat relevant at the time in 1999 but not twenty years later. It can't be overstated enough now different FUNimation is these days when compared to back then. The non recast actors have really grown into their roles and the people in charge of the dubs these days actually have a clue when it comes to staying faithful to the source compared to when Barry Watson and co were running things, and it honestly baffles me when there are those who complain about the newer productions and every time i see someone do that i'm like "You're kidding me, you seriously say that the Super dub is worse than Z's." when in fact it's the other way around.
Same. They don't do stupid things like those anymore & they've changed, largely for the better. They have competent people, they have passionate people who care about what they're doing, & they want to produce good dubs going forward that they don't regret in 5 years when they realize it's legit dumpster fire trash. The cast is great & people need to stop being hyperbolic & spreading false narratives. It's not healthy.
omegacwa wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 pm My only complaint with the super dub from what I've seen, which is only comparisons to key scenes, is the English cast sounds "bored", for a lack of a better term. The Japanese cast sounds so emotional and excited.
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm Has anyone honestly made the argument that the dub of Super is worse than the dub of Z? I’ve heard plenty of criticism directed towards the dub of Super, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone make the argument that it’s on the level of the Z dub, let alone worse.
Yes, yes there ARE. In the dub thread, there are legitimate people who've watched the Super dub & hyperbolically claimed it's as bad as Z's.
And, I wasn't gonna bring this tweet here, but this is what I directly quoted from Twitter earlier.
https://twitter.com/LuminousEpoque/stat ... 3663623168
This person legit says that the Super dub is just as bad as Z's rather than just some of the performances not being great at times (which, I never thought they sounded bored, but that's just me). It also got a retweet, which means SOMEONE else saw it & agreed so much that they retweeted it.
The cast of the English dub doesn't sound bored to me either. But I wish to point out that there are always going to be those who really, really hate a show's dub.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 pm The cast of the English dub doesn't sound bored to me either. But I wish to point out that there are always going to be those who really, really hate a show's dub.
You're right. Absolutely. It's like those who hate when a game or game series that was only on the PS2 back in the early 2000s from a 3rd party game company not made by Sony comes to other platforms. Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, etc. Made by companies who make games for all the platforms they see they can make money on, yet the fanboys can't get passed that they're console shills who don't care if other people don't want that console to play certain games that aren't owned by Sony themselves because of irrational hatred of other good platforms. People hate what they're gonna hate & it's just stupid when it's irrational, or the opinions don't make much sense when held up to scrutiny.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:02 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 pm The cast of the English dub doesn't sound bored to me either. But I wish to point out that there are always going to be those who really, really hate a show's dub.
You're right. Absolutely. It's like those who hate when a game or game series that was only on the PS2 back in the early 2000s from a 3rd party game company not made by Sony comes to other platforms. Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, etc. Made by companies who make games for all the platforms they see they can make money on, yet the fanboys can't get passed that they're console shills who don't care if other people don't want that console to play certain games that aren't owned by Sony themselves because of irrational hatred of other good platforms. People hate what they're gonna hate & it's just stupid when it's irrational, or the opinions don't make much sense when held up to scrutiny.
Its sad alright. I rather liked the original z dub, from the Otherworld Tournament Saga onwards that is. But I don't hate on the original dub at all.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 pm

Y'know, with the recent Bethesda controversy with Fallout 76, I don't know if I've given FUNi enough credit. Even though both companies weaponized fandom & clearly show their bullshit corporate minds in front of giving good products for their most popular franchises, at least FUNi gives us finished products. They're bad products & ones you shouldn't buy so we can get better later, but at least they're finished & have SOME amount of substance to them. Bethesda just gave us an answer to if it can get any worse.

I wanted to post this in the 30th anniversary BR thread, but I didn't know if it belonged there & I couldn't think of where else to put this.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am

dbs fanboy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am Hit vs Dyspo is the most underrated fight in the entire franchise and it really needs more recognition, i get really dissapointed when i see people complain about how since Z, db fights have always been the same (kick, punch, ki blast) with no mention to episodes like this one. I do get that fights like Goku vs Keflal are more "hype" to talk about, but c'mon man.
I'm with you on that. There was a thread about that fight on the Super board a little while ago, and I remember saying it felt the most like a "modern" anime fight that's ever been in Dragon Ball. It had that same flow you get in a My Hero or a JoJo- not a lot of action per se, just a lot of characters trying to counter, bait and predict one another with different techniques. It was good stuff.

I believe the thread was about if that was the most strategic fight in the series. A bunch of people were trying to argue the manga SSG to SSB trick was more tactical. Give me a break. That's just a roundabout way of doing the same old Dragon Ball Z fight- "my number is lower than yours, but if I raise it for a split second, my number is bigger and I can do the kick-punch-blast". Boring. Hell, they had that trick IN the Hit vs Dyspo fight when Goku interfered and it was the least interesting bit.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 pm Y'know, with the recent Bethesda controversy with Fallout 76, I don't know if I've given FUNi enough credit. Even though both companies weaponized fandom & clearly show their bullshit corporate minds in front of giving good products for their most popular franchises, at least FUNi gives us finished products. They're bad products & ones you shouldn't buy so we can get better later, but at least they're finished & have SOME amount of substance to them. Bethesda just gave us an answer to if it can get any worse.

I wanted to post this in the 30th anniversary BR thread, but I didn't know if it belonged there & I couldn't think of where else to put this.
how does funimation deserve credit just because one company (of not even the same media) is worse ? like, sure, funimation isn't the worst company on the planet, but the way they've handled z has been pretty awful, and i don't think people should defend them just because they aren't the worst.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am how does funimation deserve credit just because one company (of not even the same media) is worse ? like, sure, funimation isn't the worst company on the planet, but the way they've handled z has been pretty awful, and i don't think people should defend them just because they aren't the worst.
I was joking.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am
dbs fanboy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am Hit vs Dyspo is the most underrated fight in the entire franchise and it really needs more recognition, i get really dissapointed when i see people complain about how since Z, db fights have always been the same (kick, punch, ki blast) with no mention to episodes like this one. I do get that fights like Goku vs Keflal are more "hype" to talk about, but c'mon man.
I'm with you on that. There was a thread about that fight on the Super board a little while ago, and I remember saying it felt the most like a "modern" anime fight that's ever been in Dragon Ball. It had that same flow you get in a My Hero or a JoJo- not a lot of action per se, just a lot of characters trying to counter, bait and predict one another with different techniques. It was good stuff.

I believe the thread was about if that was the most strategic fight in the series. A bunch of people were trying to argue the manga SSG to SSB trick was more tactical. Give me a break. That's just a roundabout way of doing the same old Dragon Ball Z fight- "my number is lower than yours, but if I raise it for a split second, my number is bigger and I can do the kick-punch-blast". Boring. Hell, they had that trick IN the Hit vs Dyspo fight when Goku interfered and it was the least interesting bit.
This makes me sad because it seems like Hit is about to get the Piccolo /Tenshihan treatment and he has so much potential (at least in the anime).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Unpopular opinion? Maybe?

I like Goku and Kuririn’s red turtle gi in Dragon Ball over the orange gi in Z. I understand the orange gi is “correct” but the red just pops more to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Is that red? I thought it was a red-orange.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:30 pm

The colors vary over the years. I mean, Bulma's hair is supposed to be purple, not blue, which is why Trunks' hair is purple. Except in Super where future Trunks' hair is blue for some reason.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:30 pm The colors vary over the years. I mean, Bulma's hair is supposed to be purple, not blue, which is why Trunks' hair is purple. Except in Super where future Trunks' hair is blue for some reason.
I still can’t help but find Toei’s thought process on that to be baffling. If they wanted to give Trunks the same hair color as his mother, fair enough, but then why does Present Trunks still have purple hair? That doesn’t make any sense. I know some people have tried to rationalize that by arguing that Future Trunks probably dyed his hair blue, except that Bulma acknowledges his blue hair in a way that implies that his hair always that color.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:51 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 pm I still can’t help but find Toei’s thought process on that to be baffling. If they wanted to give Trunks the same hair color as his mother, fair enough, but then why does Present Trunks still have purple hair? That doesn’t make any sense. I know some people have tried to rationalize that by arguing that Future Trunks probably dyed his hair blue, except that Bulma acknowledges his blue hair in a way that implies that his hair was always that color.
Exactly. I'd rather they change Bulma's hair back to purple, honestly. Everything that's come out since 2013 has been a sequel to the manga's version of evens anyways (with using Kai footage to represent events, which also followed the manga more closely by cutting out most of the filler), just change her hair back & tell people it's because that was Toriyama's original intent. Hell, the full color manga & the Path to Power movie colored her hair correctly, so it wouldn't be that unheard of. I think people could easily accept them doing that over making a discontinuity with future Trunks' hair & keeping up the lie that he's always had it by reanimating (poorly) scenes from History of Trunks & putting a filter over Kai footage (again, poorly because it still shows Trunks had purple hair then) to mask that they changed his hair color arbitrarily & against all logic & can't hide it at all that that's what they did.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:16 pm

I wish DBS Broly still had his tail..........

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am

My go-to when I just want to have something playing in the background is GT. I don't know why; maybe it's the colour pallet or the music(Personally GT's Japanese music is my favourite DB score. GT's US music is my least favourite).
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:35 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am My go-to when I just want to have something playing in the background is GT. I don't know why; maybe it's the colour pallet or the music(Personally GT's Japanese music is my favourite DB score. GT's US music is my least favourite).
This. I can't believe how FUNimation managed to turn the best soundtrack in franchise to the worst soundtrack in franchise.
I love Faulconer's tracks in DBZ, but Mark Menza's score ruined entire series.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 pm

I’m kind of surprised how much Faulconer fans hate Menza’s score. They sound fairly similar to me.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 pm I’m kind of surprised how much Faulconer fans hate Menza’s score. They sound fairly similar to me.
Yeah. The sounds of drizzling shits are one in the same, so I can't imagine why Faulconer fans would hate Menza’s score.