Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:01 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 pm Interesting as I found his X-Men score much "darker".
It's definitely a lot more serious than the Power Rangers score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZYStAQhSg

When you listen to this you sort of get some Saban DBZ vibes. The DBZ score however also had a lot of rock elements and goofy comedic music like in Power Rangers, so it's kind of a mix of everything he had done up to that point
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Rory wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 amThe issue here I think is just... Cold in general. He shouldn't have been there at all, or a character at any point. I know that one's not an unpopular opinion, but I figured I'd chime in regardless.
Nothing wrong with Frieza having a father. Especially considering we just learned he was fairly young when he took reign.
Personally, my problem with Cold is this idea that Freeza’s family has some sort of monarchy system going on. I prefer the idea of Freeza being more of a businessman, rather than royalty.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:09 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Rory wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 amThe issue here I think is just... Cold in general. He shouldn't have been there at all, or a character at any point. I know that one's not an unpopular opinion, but I figured I'd chime in regardless.
Nothing wrong with Frieza having a father. Especially considering we just learned he was fairly young when he took reign.
Personally, my problem with Cold is this idea that Freeza’s family has some sort of monarchy system going on. I prefer the idea of Freeza being more of a businessman, rather than royalty.
Isn't he referred to using regal terms like emperor and lord?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:09 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm

Isn't he referred to using regal terms like emperor and lord?
I guess. His henchmen do address him as “Freeza-sama” or “Lord Freeza”. I’m not entirely sure what the model of the Planet Trade Organization is supposed to be like. Freeza and his father are supposedly royalty, yet they also seem to treat conquering planets like a business, given that they sell them off to the highest bidders. It’s a little weird.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm Personally, my problem with Cold is this idea that Freeza’s family has some sort of monarchy system going on. I prefer the idea of Freeza being more of a businessman, rather than royalty.
Unless there has been something added in the newer material, I don't think Freeza and his family are supposed to be royalty or belong to any kind of monarchy. Cold is referred to as daiou or "Great King", but that's it. And in that case, it doesn't appear to mean a "king" in the political sense, just that he and Freeza are the most powerful in the universe because of their business and strength.

"Freeza-sama" doesn't mean anything other than his subordinates addressing him with the proper honorific as their boss and big shot. As for "emperor of the universe", again that's figurative and not in any political sense.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:22 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm Personally, my problem with Cold is this idea that Freeza’s family has some sort of monarchy system going on. I prefer the idea of Freeza being more of a businessman, rather than royalty.
Unless there has been something added in the newer material, I don't think Freeza and his family are supposed to be royalty or belong to any kind of monarchy. Cold is referred to as daiou or "Great King", but that's it. And in that case, it doesn't appear to mean a "king" in the political sense, just that he and Freeza are the most powerful in the universe because of their business and strength.

"Freeza-sama" doesn't mean anything other than his subordinates addressing him with the proper honorific as their boss and big shot. As for "emperor of the universe", again that's figurative and not in any political sense.
How is it not political? Freeza goes around conquering and taking resources he wants. He uses force to take whatever he wants, there's a hierarchy with him at the head. It's authoritarian, but it functions like a government.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:22 am
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am

How is it not political? Freeza goes around conquering and taking resources he wants. He uses force to take whatever he wants, there's a hierarchy with him at the head. It's authoritarian, but it functions like a government.
At the very least, it’s a pretty unusual government. It seems to function more like a business or a mafia organization than an actual empire. Freeza is still considered a criminal by the Galactic Patrol. It’s not exactly like the Empire from Star Wars.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:43 pm

I feel this Godfather scene is pretty applicable:

Michael:
My father is no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator.

Kay Adams:
Do you know how naive you sound, Michael? Presidents and senators don't have men killed.

Michael:
Oh. Who's being naive, Kay?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm It seems to function more like a business or a mafia organization than an actual empire.
That's because it *is* a business and not an actual empire or monarchy. There is no system of government. Of course there are political parallels to be made, such as with the Mafia or any kind of enterprise really, but it's just a business.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Unpopular opinion: the fact that no other dub uses a 50 year old woman to voice a 25 year old male fighter is proof that Goku's Japanese voice doesn't work. However, I do think Nozawa could've did Goku's voice if she did it more like her Tullece or Goku Black's voice. Maybe.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I do wish death had more meaning in DBZ. It's kinda lame how they can just revive everyone on Earth after Buu destroys it. Would have had a lot more impact if they had to start over. One of the reasons I like Future Trunks' storyline is because death mattered.

Another unpopular opinion: Funimation aiming DBZ at the young audience in the late 90s was perfect. In the late 90s, people craved more action and violence (WWF, Jerry Springer, South Park, etc. etc.). By starting off with DBZ and using a more action-packed base OST, it helped DBZ connect to American audiences (young under 16-males) far, far easier. "Rock the Dragon" from the Ocean Dub helped popularize it far more than what Cha-La-Head-Cha-La could have. Remember that bands such as Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, and Marilyn Manson were popular at this time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:10 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm It seems to function more like a business or a mafia organization than an actual empire.
That's because it *is* a business and not an actual empire or monarchy. There is no system of government. Of course there are political parallels to be made, such as with the Mafia or any kind of enterprise really, but it's just a business.
There is a system, just a very simple one - what Freeza says goes. And plenty of governments engage in trade. I hardly would qualify Freeza's empire as a business.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm Another unpopular opinion: Funimation aiming DBZ at the young audience in the late 90s was perfect. In the late 90s, people craved more action and violence (WWF, Jerry Springer, South Park, etc. etc.). By starting off with DBZ and using a more action-packed base OST, it helped DBZ connect to American audiences (young under 16-males) far, far easier. "Rock the Dragon" from the Ocean Dub helped popularize it far more than what Cha-La-Head-Cha-La could have. Remember that bands such as Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, and Marilyn Manson were popular at this time.
The Saiyan Saga with Rock the Dragon aired from Sep 1996 to May 1997 in first-run syndication and supposedly did very well. That was shortly before Limp Bizkit had released an album and before South Park debuted. When DBZ first started in America it wasn't quite y2k 2000 xtreme hardcore era yet like when the in-house dub began airing on Toonami
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm There is a system, just a very simple one - what Freeza says goes.
Yeah because he's the boss. That doesn't make him some kind of king or head of state. I'm not sure what you're arguing here, that a government and business are one in the same? That immoral or unethical businesses aren't truly businesses?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm There is a system, just a very simple one - what Freeza says goes.
Yeah because he's the boss. That doesn't make him some kind of king or head of state. I'm not sure what you're arguing here, that a government and business are one in the same? That immoral or unethical businesses aren't truly businesses?
That's exactly what it makes him. How is he not a king or head of state? What makes someone a king or head of state? A business offers value for value. There are certainly unethical businessmen, but that isn't what drives Freeza. He likes physical power over people. You are the one that asserted he's not the head of state. How is his organization not like a government? I don't like the equivocation of economic power and political power. They are not the same thing.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 am

ABED wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 am
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 pm
That's exactly what it makes him. How is he not a king or head of state? What makes someone a king or head of state? A business offers value for value. There are certainly unethical businessmen, but that isn't what drives Freeza. He likes physical power over people. You are the one that asserted he's not the head of state. How is his organization not like a government? I don't like the equivocation of economic power and political power. They are not the same thing.
heck a lot of old kings/emperors didnt start out as such but raised an army conquered and ruled even. not seeing how thats different from freeza

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:24 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm
McDonaldsGuy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm Another unpopular opinion: Funimation aiming DBZ at the young audience in the late 90s was perfect. In the late 90s, people craved more action and violence (WWF, Jerry Springer, South Park, etc. etc.). By starting off with DBZ and using a more action-packed base OST, it helped DBZ connect to American audiences (young under 16-males) far, far easier. "Rock the Dragon" from the Ocean Dub helped popularize it far more than what Cha-La-Head-Cha-La could have. Remember that bands such as Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, and Marilyn Manson were popular at this time.
The Saiyan Saga with Rock the Dragon aired from Sep 1996 to May 1997 in first-run syndication and supposedly did very well. That was shortly before Limp Bizkit had released an album and before South Park debuted. When DBZ first started in America it wasn't quite y2k 2000 xtreme hardcore era yet like when the in-house dub began airing on Toonami
Yeah, it was more of framing the context on why Rock the Dragon was so popular. In the late 90s, people demanded more edgy entertainment. No more say your prayers and take your vitamins heroes, we want violence and action!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Rock the Dragon was popular because Dragon Ball Z was popular, end of story.

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:27 pm Rock the Dragon was popular because Dragon Ball was popular, end of story.
The music helped in the USA. As well with the pacing (though they cut too much out in the beginning).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 pm

McDonaldsGuy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:30 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:27 pm Rock the Dragon was popular because Dragon Ball was popular, end of story.
The music helped in the USA. As well with the pacing (though they cut too much out in the beginning).
Somewhat, but if we didn't like DBZ, no one would've given a damn about the theme song.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 pm

I think the edgy new Faulconer scores dates the show way too quickly. It followed current trends instead of being more unique to Dragon Ball and it suffers for it. I DO love the Super Saiyan Vegeta theme. That one rocks.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: