Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:07 pm Old DB sexist stuff is fun.
I feel like that's like saying "Blackface make up in old silent films and early talkies are fun".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:34 pm

MrGohanks wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:50 pm
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:07 pm
Just adding I agree with this sentiment. Super is only relevant when talking about Super. It came out 20 years after the original manga ended and should have jack all to do with discussing the merits of the original manga or OG and Z anime series.
Absolutely. I don’t blame people for falling into the trap of listening to TOEI/Toriyamas BS about official continuation, but ultimately they have no say by this point. Toriyama is such an unreliable source for any Dragon Ball information because he has forgotten just about every detail of his own series, and I don’t know why people always bow down to him for every retcon he states in an interview of puts into Dragon Ball Super.
Just because the creators and producers of a series says things about it that you don't like doesn't mean that they don't count, that's just your bias showing. They are the ones who determine what is what in DragonBall at the end of the day, and Toriyama hasn't forgotten nearly as much as you and many other fans think he has, especially when it comes to major elements of the story.

"Death of the Author" doesn't apply here. If Toriyama's and Toei's views on DragonBall don't matter then nobody else's does either.
Sorry but I don’t agree. Toriyama has essentially become a George Lucas and has forgotten everything that made his original story so great.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm
I feel like that's like saying "Blackface make up in old silent films and early talkies are fun".
Maybe someone find them fun, who knows.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:44 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:38 pm

Holy shit are you even an actual person?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Either you're trolling, totally insanse or high on drugs. There's nothing fun about sexism, racism, or even pedophilia.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:47 pm

I think we've already well addressed by this point the really fucking disastrously weird (at best) viewpoints expressed. If any further action is necessary, please use the built-in functionality to report a post to bring it to a moderator's attention, and they'll deal with it as is appropriate.

Let's otherwise collectively stop giving the weirdo the attention and faux persecution they want, and move onto genuinely productive conversation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pmThere's nothing fun about sexism, racism, or even pedophilia.
....Yes there is. Have you never seen Family Guy? Herbert is a pedophile, he's hilarious and one of the most popular secondary characters on the show.

Female driver jokes, Priest jokes, Michael Jackson jokes etc. Offensive jokes have been around for decades for a reason.

Anything can be funny. Anything.

Anyway an unpopular opinion....none of the original DBZ movies are even a 7/10.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:19 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Either you're trolling, totally insanse or high on drugs. There's nothing fun about sexism, racism, or even pedophilia.
It depends on how it's done if you ask me. :think:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:12 am

MrGohanks wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:41 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:32 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm

It seems safe to assume that characters like Goku and Kuririn would probably be Asian, while someone like Bulma would likely be white.

As for Caulifla and Kale, all their subtext is pretty much exclusive to the anime, and Toei seemed to deliberately try and keep it vague. I don’t have much of an opinion on it, but it’s the closest Dragon Ball currently has to positive queer representation, so I guess it’s not surprising that some people like to latch on to it.
Perhaps. But I feel that not all Saiyans would be Asian, some would, some wouldn't. I personally choose not to trouble my head over it.

And the Kale and Caulifla is something I have no issue with. If they are a couple its cute. If not its okay.
I've always viewed the Saiyans and characters like Roshi, Tien, Yamcha and Chi-Chi as vaguely Asian or Eurasian, and the Japanese Fandom seems to see them that way too.

Kale and Caulifla in the anime are clearly written to be ambiguously bisexual, but it's all subtext and up to interpretation. In the manga the subtext isn't there at all.
I see.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pmThere's nothing fun about sexism, racism, or even pedophilia.
....Yes there is.
Jokes involving racism, sexism, sexual abuse etc. can be funny insofar the joke establishes that those things are stupid or harmful. Otherwise, the jokes will in turn perpetuate those terrible things.
Priest jokes are obviously lampooning the Church for, well y’know, but female driver jokes are just reiterating an idiotic stereotype.

I have no idea who this Herbert guy is, but a lot of jokes in early DB portray sexual harassment in such a flippant, non-serious manner that it would even be dangerous to show them to young children.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:30 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:35 am
....Yes there is.
I have no idea who this Herbert guy is, but a lot of jokes in early DB portray sexual harassment in such a flippant, non-serious manner that it would even be dangerous to show them to young children.
That's where parenting comes in. A lot of things in cartoons can be detrimental to children but it's up to the parents to contextualize it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:15 am

Media can't hold bad parents responsible but media can—and historically has been—held responsible for its poor portrayals of women and minorities. Leaving things up to parents alone is useless, the media being produced has to be scrutinized, too.

Geeks want to crawl up a cartoon's ass over dumb stuff like battle powers or plot holes but the second someone—usually a member of a marginalized group—has something critical to say of its portrayal of said marginalized group the geeks who like to crawls up asses over plot holes and battle powers are nowhere to be seen. That makes fandom and discussion are hostile place to exist for anyone who isn't part of a marginalized group or has an interest in studying media theory and how it interacts with the real world.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:18 am

Folks, this is extending far beyond the appropriateness for and relevance to this thread. There has already been some administrative guidance and action, so let's please heed that.

(Removing additional posts beyond this point that are not paying attention.)
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:58 am

Edit: Post was deleted so you can make up your own as there's clearly no point having unpopular opinions as you can't discuss them anyway.
Last edited by Xeno Goku Black on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:59 am

I think fanservice is actually great and an artistic choice that helps us get into the mind of a creator. It's odd to me when people talk about fanservice as if it was something the author had to do for ratings or popularity. Is it so weird to just think some creators like it? There are influential artists that have drawn smutty doujinshi of their own characters like Kazuya Minekura, the author of the manga Saiyuki.

I think with Dr. Slump you can actually see where Akira Toriyama started to mellow out. I know people will want to deny it but Arale is drawn in a very cute way with some interesting poses at the start of the manga, like wearing clothing too big for her almost falling off her shoulders. I don't know if getting married satiated his appetite and that's why she got cartoony or something else but it is interesting! Plus Arale is so adorable at the start! I love seeing the different poses and outfits as it adds to the experience.

I know people will get mad and might even throw some words around because of Arale's appearance but hey if Tezuka was a furry we can cut Toriyama some slack for being a horny otaku in his early 20's.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm just gonna ignore that weirdo- SO UH who's your dream voice actor for Goku?

(EDIT: SHOOT I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE NOT THREAD WORTHY DISCUSSION THREAD)
Last edited by BeaBumby on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:17 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:58 am Edit: Post was deleted so you can make up your own as there's clearly no point having unpopular opinions as you can't discuss them anyway.
Spare us. Your deleted "opinion" was "it's just JOKES MAN, why's EVERYONE SO SOFT". What you instead edited here was a completely separate actual normal post (about Heroes vs GT), just so you can falsely claim persecution. Just lie after lie my dude.

Insert standard "cancel culture isn't real; you just don't like being called out on your bizarro opinions" explanation.

You can have opinions, but I also don't have to pay the bills on creeps being creeps and weirdos with Right Wing Playbook 101 copy pasta.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:34 pm

Well generally jokes are "just jokes"...that's why they call them...jokes.

Seeing as you did delete the post because apparently you are not allowed to discuss the unpopular opinion that's been given on a general "discussion" board then there's no point coming up with one at all so I removed mine.

So there was also no lie either because you did in fact delete the post because we weren't allowed to discuss it which was what I said.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:16 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:59 am I think fanservice is actually great and an artistic choice that helps us get into the mind of a creator. It's odd to me when people talk about fanservice as if it was something the author had to do for ratings or popularity. Is it so weird to just think some creators like it? There are influential artists that have drawn smutty doujinshi of their own characters like Kazuya Minekura, the author of the manga Saiyuki.
Within the context of two adults discussing the topic: I agree, I think it's an interesting form of self-expression. I don't necessarily get anything out of 'fan service' in that sense anymore thanks to HRT but I think—from my POV as both a reader and writer—it's a nice look into the less 'presentable' side of a creator. This is more of a generalized take, though. I think official 18+ Dragon Ball works would be interesting to see but I feel like that this point we're not going to see the production committee members (Shueisha, Toei, Bandai) do anything but works aimed at general audiences and kids. The Dragon Ball Gals line of figures is the closest we've come to getting official Dragon Ball works for an 18+ crowd.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SSJ_Ninjago

Post by SSJ_Ninjago » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:55 pm

Unpopular opinion: You actually can enjoy the problematic aspects of Dragon Ball without being a right wing devil or some kind of twisted monster.