Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:41 pm

When it comes to FUNimation DBZ movie titles, I think the best one would easily have to be ’Broly - Second Coming’. That title is almost too good for the movie.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm The problem is the Funimation title is nothing but the villains name.

The Advent of Lord Slug
The Terror of Lord Slug
The Invasion of Lord Slug
Sub-Zero (because of the whole terra freezing the planet)

Just anything besides “the name of the villain”
...Because Toei & Toriyama are that much better at names on their own, though Resurrection 'F' was pretty good.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:46 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm The problem is the Funimation title is nothing but the villains name.

The Advent of Lord Slug
The Terror of Lord Slug

...Because Toei & Toriyama are that much better at names on their own, though Resurrection 'F' was pretty good.
The Toei titles are awkward and rarely explain what the movie is about but they’re never boring titles.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:21 pm Movie 4 was titled ’Super Saiyan Son Goku’ in Japan purely as a marketing stunt. The titular Super Saiyan transformation barely factors into the movie. Plus, by the time FUNimation got around to dubbing that movie, they had already finished dubbing the Cell arc, so people in the United States were already fully aware of what a Super Saiyan is supposed to look like. If they titled the movie ‘Super Saiyan Goku’, it would’ve confused people at best. Frankly, I’m not even sure what else FUNimation was supposed to call the movie, outside of putting the villain’s name in the title.

The problem is the Funimation title is nothing but the villains name.

The Advent of Lord Slug
The Terror of Lord Slug

Remind me, what was the most recent movie called?

People can argue about it but…Funimation won in the end.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:31 am

Yo, Jiren is fucking sexy. I know people like to rag on his character and design but it's like...he's such a little put-upon brat. He's this cheeky little brat who really needs a strong personality to to stump him and I think that's the cool thing about his interaction with Gokuu. Gokuu just doesn't stop and even Jiren just plain gets exhausted by him eventually and breaks down. I really like that.

Also, I'm just a filthy bisexual and want to dom him.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:31 am Also, I'm just a filthy bisexual and want to dom him.

You fish-sexual?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:14 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:31 am Also, I'm just a filthy bisexual and want to dom him.

You fish-sexual?
Oh sweetie, the things I'm into would blow your mind considering how Serious and Important I've been acting here lately. 😆
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:02 am This is extremely off topic, but thank you, and yes, Takeuchi is a huge weirdo and that comes through on every page and in every panel of the series, which is weirdly simultaneously criminally underrated and also one of the most recognizable comic properties of all time. And somehow it still finds time to come together thematically and draw some tears by the end!
it's one of the best coming of age stories ever, and usagi's acceptance of all versions of herself is one of my favorite things in all of media, she's probably my favorite character in all of anime due to it. i don't think takeuchi gets enough credit for stuff like that or hotaru's story in infinity, or chibiusas story thru out the middle arcs, or all of stars because nobody talks about manga stars lol.
Yuji wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:52 am Sounds exactly like Toriyama's Dragon Ball when put it that way.
to wrap this around to dragon ball, well the toriyama-ness of dragon ball sometimes gets underappreciated due to how it was localized over here and due to Battle Shounen (iknow.i know.) series' reputations, it's not quite like sailor moon which had a super transformative anime filled with very talented and creative people that most of the time overshadows takeuchi's sailor moon. and the 90s sailor moon anime is (mostly) very good and like takeuchi's sailor moon is super weird because ikuni might be even weirder then takeuchi, but takeuchi's sailor moon is another beast and for how popular and iconic the franchise is, like what cipher said, really underrated. it feels weird to praise sailor moon as this super out there, really weird and really fantastic manga (and it is my favorite manga ever), because for so many people it's just the bog standard feel good mahou shoujo (like i've heard people compare it to k-on which...no disrespect to kyoani and i love shows like hidamari sketch but God.), but it really is the work of a mad woman.

also it's just fucking awesome lol like oh my god la soldier is probably the coolest song of all time and drawings like this it just rocks
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 am

Cipher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:02 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:00 am cus this is more or less kind of a shit post can i just say, your sailor moon manga twitter thread from last year is like, probably my favorite thing on twitter ? it has this reputation as this kinda slice of life comfort series but the manga is like one of the most bombastic things out there and is just the insane world of naoko takeuchi. i honestly put it on the level of utena for a shoujo series and kind of prefer it for the fact that is so personalized to takeuchi (ofc it wasn't a 1 woman project there were editors and assistants and all that), and how you get to see how she dealt with most of the series not being planned out and how messy (in a good and very beautiful way) the series became after the first arc, as opposed to utena which had a group of super talented creative people more or less mapping out the general idea. ones not better then the other of course, but i find sailor moon a lot more interesting in that regard in just how nobody else but takeuchi would put in stuff like people's faces being melted off in almost every arc.
This is extremely off topic, but thank you, and yes, Takeuchi is a huge weirdo and that comes through on every page and in every panel of the series, which is weirdly simultaneously criminally underrated and also one of the most recognizable comic properties of all time. And somehow it still finds time to come together thematically and draw some tears by the end!
Didn't realise you got around to reading the sreies. Did you check out any of the TV shows?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:23 am

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 am Didn't realise you got around to reading the sreies. Did you check out any of the TV shows?
https://twitter.com/cipher_db/status/12 ... 86944?s=21

Might be some other errant threads and updates under that hashtag as well. A couple on the colorized volumes, in particular.

Reactions to spot-checking the various series are buried somewhere in there, but tl;dr I didn’t personally think much of any of them except for the live-action one, and even then it just comes kiiind to close to capturing some of the same charms as the manga. The original just isn’t for me with its formula, and is basically the same series in name/very basic concepts only (but I’m not the target audience so whatever; I see why it caught on), and Crystal at least gets the same overall plot points, but does so in an extremely visually bland and boringly paced way. It doesn’t communicate what a god damn wild ride the manga is at all.
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:24 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:23 am
Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 am Didn't realise you got around to reading the sreies. Did you check out any of the TV shows?
https://twitter.com/cipher_db/status/12 ... 86944?s=21

Might be some other errant threads and updates under that hashtag as well. A couple on the colorized volumes, in particular.

Reactions to spot-checking the various series are buried somewhere in there, but tl;dr I didn’t personally think much of any of them except for the live-action one, and even then it just comes kiiind to close to capturing some of the same charms as the manga (while not being as technically competent).
I'll look into it. For some reason, twitter just doesnt ever work on my browser. I'm always on FB messenger though. Wil give this a read throug tonight.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:26 am

episode 125 of S is one of my favorite episodes kf anime but a lot of it is due to kotono mitsuishi's performance honestly, ogata is great to in it to (though i prefer junko minagawa in crystal because i kinda hate 90s haruka lmao). ikuhara is the man you hate to love but i think i like igarashis direction in general for sailor moon a lot more (sato was great to but i don't think he would've worked for the later arcs), but manga stars is unfollow-up able.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:46 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:26 am episode 125 of S is one of my favorite episodes kf anime but a lot of it is due to kotono mitsuishi's performance honestly, ogata is great to in it to (though i prefer junko minagawa in crystal because i kinda hate 90s haruka lmao). ikuhara is the man you hate to love but i think i like igarashis direction in general for sailor moon a lot more (sato was great to but i don't think he would've worked for the later arcs), but manga stars is unfollow-up able.
The manga’s final arc just barely missed being my favorite (to a tie of the third and fourth ones, but honestly, it’s nothing but hits from the second storyline onward), but the ending is phenomenal, as is its commitment to just doing such a weird and relentlessly melancholy final run of chapters.

I don’t remember if I worked it into those Twitter threads or touched on it later, but so many of the plot points and concepts people think are subversive twists on the genre in Madoka are just in Sailor Moon’s final storyline. If the series hadn’t cemented its own subgenre, it probably would have been called (correctly or incorrectly) a deconstruction of it.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:20 am

i cried i cried and i cried reading the final couple acts of stars, stuff like cosmos speech and the first time she appears is just so beautiful to me(my favorite takeuchi drawing and thrre is no shortage of amazing ones). it really feels like sailor moon at it's most messy and emotional and it just hits me so hard, even if the overall plot line is considerably tighter in infinity and dream manages to effortlessly delevop it's characters, or how black moon is basically a utena arc.

yeah you did near the end and, not to crap on madoka cus i do like it but what it did really wasn't that unique, as a whole honestly but especially as a mahou shoujo thing. honestly i think hidamari sketch is slightly more subversive for a shaft anime with ume aoki character designs, but whatever

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 am

GatoF wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:08 am Gogeta in DBS Broly was totally a fanservice, Goku and much less Vegeta should have never accepted to do the fusion with their saiyan pride. It's totally out of character for them to do that against another SAIYAN who is using purely his own strenght.
The fusions against Majin Buu and Zamasu were understandable because they were villains that also use fusion/absorptions.
Two saiyans admitting they have to fuse to beat another saiyan is really bad. It doesn't matter how strong Broly is.
Oh you just got that now? I though bringing Bardock, Broly and Gogeta to the same movie was pretty much "here's the fanservice thrown in your face"

The thing is that UI Goku would have been better than Gogeta, was originaly Goku was the one who defeated Broly in his first movie.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 am

Starting to really dislike the "big brained" Dragon Ball fans who act like they're so above all of the action and fighting aspect of the Dragon Ball...a Kung-Fu series where fighting is at its core. The ongoing cries for Dragon Ball to do "slice of life" stuff always mystifies me.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 am Starting to really dislike the "big brained" Dragon Ball fans who act like they're so above all of the action and fighting aspect of the Dragon Ball...a Kung-Fu series where fighting is at its core. The ongoing cries for Dragon Ball to do "slice of life" stuff always mystifies me.
Yes to all this. A LITTLE bit of slice of life goes a long way. DB is a story about martial arts, which is why I love tournaments. I find people's dislike of DB tournaments mystifying as well.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 am Starting to really dislike the "big brained" Dragon Ball fans who act like they're so above all of the action and fighting aspect of the Dragon Ball...a Kung-Fu series where fighting is at its core. The ongoing cries for Dragon Ball to do "slice of life" stuff always mystifies me.
This may have to do with the fact that most of the least controversial episodes from DBS were slice of life fillers AND that they are pretty much the only feasible opportunity for some minor characters to get their own time (eg Yamcha, Goten+Trunks)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:00 am

I will drink to this.

Slice of life episodes for the in between stuff like Goku learning to drive or Kuririn wanting to propose to Maron or the gang playing baseball against universe 6 is fine but it doesn’t and shouldn’t be the whole series. There’s a buttload of Slice of Life anime.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:55 am

kanpai!