Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Yes, it was weak sauce. Here we are panicked about some liquid that absorbs the properties of everything it touches and grows stronger after coming into contact with Broly. He's a being that can destroy planets with a flick of his wrist and he's brought down by sea water.

I'm not sure how one quantifies having substance but these are the equivalent of a granola bar. They aren't a meal but they'll do in a pinch.

Fair enough that you prefer it to the previous Broly movie. I don't love either, but Movie 10 has enough moments where I can enjoy it for it the length of the film. I simply don't like anything about Bio-Broly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:03 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 pm I don’t get how people prefer Movie 10 over Movie 11. Yeah, neither of them are all that good and both should have had someone other than Broly as the villain. However, Movie 10 is so DULL and uninteresting, the epitome the DBZ films’ substancelessness and action for its own sake. At least Movie 11 had a minor “scientific disaster film” feature that distinguishes itself, not to mention the absence of Goku, Android 18’s presence, and Krillin actually being contributive. If only Broly was not the focus of this film, it would have been at been more than average.
I'm pretty sure the reason people prefer Second Coming is because Bio-Broly made Broly into a poo monster and he wasn't uberpowerful like before.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 pm I don’t get how people prefer Movie 10 over Movie 11. Yeah, neither of them are all that good and both should have had someone other than Broly as the villain. However, Movie 10 is so DULL and uninteresting, the epitome the DBZ films’ substancelessness and action for its own sake. At least Movie 11 had a minor “scientific disaster film” feature that distinguishes itself, not to mention the absence of Goku, Android 18’s presence, and Krillin actually being contributive. If only Broly was not the focus of this film, it would have been at been more than average.

I agree. Z movie 11 was at least mildly amusing in a throwback to cheesy 1950s Sci-fi/Creature Features. Plus 18 got much needed attention that was she was pretty lacking in the Boo era.

Z movie 10 was just really really boring.

Although neither of them justified in being Broly movies. Z movie 10 could of been Evil Volcano God attacks and Z movie 11 could have been Attack of the Science Experiment gone Bad thing

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:03 pm
I'm pretty sure the reason people prefer Second Coming is because Bio-Broly made Broly into a poo monster and he wasn't uberpowerful like before.
Second Coming turned him into a hollow shell of his former Movie 8 self. He might as well have been actual poop, ‘cause that’s what he was relegated to.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm

Move 11 gets no points form me for being different. While Broly is more one note than in the previous film, I like the ending with the Sons working together and Trunks nearly getting his back broken then relieving himself still makes me laugh.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:52 pm

The Son family trio Kamehameha was cool...but it is spoiled by the absolutely laughable means that allowed Goku to be there. Shenron can read minds and doesn’t need to be summoned, apparently!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:31 pm

The mechanics are goofy but I don't need stories to be completely logical. The GT ending is very similar in that regard.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:37 pm

It’s not simply about logic, it’s the fact that it totally contradicts in-universe mechanics. Not to mention how Goku can come back as a spirit for a minute or two when it is convenient.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:37 pm It’s not simply about logic, it’s the fact that it totally contradicts in-universe mechanics. Not to mention how Goku can come back as a spirit for a minute or two when it is convenient.
Sorry if that wasn't clear, that's what I meant. I'm willing to go with it for the emotion of the moment, in this case, things being so desperate that a child wishing their parent was there to protect them manifests itself into being. That's not a deal breaker for me.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:29 pm

I prefer Movie 11 over Movie 10, purely because of how parts of it feel like a schlocky sci-fi horror, but I’m pretty sure the two key reasons why the former is more reviled than the latter are what the film did with Broly and the fact that the movie entirely revolves around the weaker secondary cast.

Sure, you can argue that Goten and Trunks are the main characters of Movie 10 as well, but that one still has Gohan playing a major part. I imagine that to some, it makes them feel like they’re just watching a goofy filler episode.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Dragon Ball is the Greatest Anime Franchise of All Time.

You'll get no protest IRL, but on the internet? You'll be crucified.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:04 pm Dragon Ball is the Greatest Anime Franchise of All Time.

You're right; it's a lot more popular for people to jump aboard the Dragon Ball hate train online. It's gotten to the point where I think people miss the actual merits of the series (obviously it's all subjective). I think some of it is just a knee jerk reaction to the Goku fanboys who stack him against every other fictional character, though.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:32 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:04 pm Dragon Ball is the Greatest Anime Franchise of All Time.

That is a certified unpopular opinion...not even half of the DB fanbase would agree with that...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Anime elitists might give you a hard time but a large portion of casual anime fans and the general public will agree with you.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:37 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:32 pm

That is a certified unpopular opinion...not even half of the DB fanbase would agree with that...
More than half the "DB fanbase" doesn't even know what anime is. The internet is not a good representation of DB's fanbase.
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:37 pm

People hate Movie 11 because of Poopoli. Normal Broly, without all that goo, would be better (story would be the same, but without that much hate). Casual DB fans does not care about story, they care only about brutal brainless fights. This movie is all about it, but without the biggest brainless brutal (except there's his his poop copy) in DB history.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm

You're right; it's a lot more popular for people to jump aboard the Dragon Ball hate train online. It's gotten to the point where I think people miss the actual merits of the series (obviously it's all subjective). I think some of it is just a knee jerk reaction to the Goku fanboys who stack him against every other fictional character, though.
Dragon Ball hate generates clicks and brings traffic to websites, but watching stadiums of people enjoy Dragon Ball, 30 years into its run always reminds me... We're not alone.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:09 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Dragon Ball hate generates clicks and brings traffic to websites, but watching stadiums of people enjoy Dragon Ball, 30 years into its run always reminds me... We're not alone.
To be fair, the reason why it might SEEM like a lot of people don't like Dragon Ball is because it IS arguably the most popular anime internationally, and the amount of haters quite apparently increases alongside the amount of fans.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:06 pm King Piccolo is a better, more intelligent villain than Freeza.
My thoughts exactly, Piccolo Daimao chose to kill all fighters in the past tournaments so he could avoid to being defeated by Mafuba again, he got his wish (which is something unusual regarding DB villains) and he would win if Goku didn't got lucky. And Freeza? Because of his arrogance and ego understimated his enemies by sending his goons to die one by one when he could have solved all the issue by himself.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:40 pm

The Dragon Ball fandom chiefly hates Ribrianne because she is pink, hyper-feminine and overweight. All things that the obnoxious, testosterone obsessed dudebros that make up much of the casual and even hardcore fandom for Dragon Ball and much of the anime community despises.

And before anyone tries to "not all!" me or argue, yes, there are legitimate reasons to not like Ribrianne, fair enough. But between the fat shaming jokes and focus on her "hideous" appearance, and the sheer cartoonish levels of vitriol aimed at her that other disliked characters don't get to nearly the same extent (except for Caulifla and Kale by much of the same people), it's transparently obvious that the hate goes well beyond simple "bad character" complaints.

It's even more mind-boggling that Broly went from someone who was barely above Namek arc Goku to beyond SSB in a single fight, in a matter of a few minutes and nobody sees an issue with it. In fact, they're praising him for being overpowered.

But when Caulifla and Kale goes from a level above Base Goku after training Whis to roughly around SSB and SS2 tier, then the whole Dragon Ball fandom goes apeshit.

This fandom has a toxic masculinity problem. It has for a long time. And it's something people really need to start having conversations about and doing some self-reflecting on. Or you can all just call me a contrarian and a SJW snowflake, I guess.